You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UC Davis SVM Class of 2022 Applicants
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Best of luck you and to all applicants! Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. My proverbial door is always open.Hello UC Davis SVM Class of 2022 applicants! I hope we all get in!
Extremely unrelated, but your dog is adorable. That is all. Bye.Hello
(Also good luck applying)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same goes for me!Best of luck you and to all applicants! Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. My proverbial door is always open.
I'm super nervous about this application cycle. I noticed on the UC Davis website the number of applicants from last year to this year increased by 300 (700 for 2020 to 1000 for 2021). It definitely hiked up the GPAs and GRE scores.
I'm super nervous about this application cycle. I noticed on the UC Davis website the number of applicants from last year to this year increased by 300 (700 for 2020 to 1000 for 2021). It definitely hiked up the GPAs and GRE scores.
Yeah that happened across most vet schools last year. It made things really competitive for all schools. Best of luck!
I'm super nervous about this application cycle. I noticed on the UC Davis website the number of applicants from last year to this year increased by 300 (700 for 2020 to 1000 for 2021). It definitely hiked up the GPAs and GRE scores.
I was told that the applicant number should probably go back to "normal" this year! Hopefully this is the case.
That's what the director of admissions at Cornell seemed to think!So they don't think that trend is going to continue this cycle?
Yeah she told me the same thing, although I'm not really sure how she would know that. Hopefully it's the case though!That's what the director of admissions at Cornell seemed to think!
Applications open tomorrow! The deadline is September 15. Make sure you all start working on the application process early!
Hello all! Second time applying. Got an interview last year but unfortunately was not offered admission. Crossing my fingers for good news in the near future. Feel free to ask me for advice as well! Good luck to you all!
Do you mind telling us your statistics? I'd like to compare my stats to yours! Also good luck this time around!Hello all! Second time applying. Got an interview last year but unfortunately was not offered admission. Crossing my fingers for good news in the near future. Feel free to ask me for advice as well! Good luck to you all!
Do you mind telling us your statistics? I'd like to compare my stats to yours! Also good luck this time around!
Of course!!!!
In-State
Overall: 3.7
Science: 3.7
Last 45: 3.76
Quant: 56% (only took it once, not the greatest)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you In State or OOS?Do you mind telling us your statistics? I'd like to compare my stats to yours! Also good luck this time around!
If your OOS I'd ask @Coopah for her stats.
Are you In State or OOS?
If your OOS I'd ask @Coopah for her stats.
OOS
Overall: 3.28
Science: 3.79
Last 45: 4.0
Quant: 162 (83% I think?)
I'm in state! Here are my stats
Overall: 3.7
Science: 3.73
Last 45: 3.78
Quant:70% going to retake it again to get above the 74% average last year!
Overall: 3.7
Science: 3.73
Last 45: 3.78
Quant:70% going to retake it again to get above the 74% average last year!
Are you In State or OOS?
If your OOS I'd ask @Coopah for her stats.
Oh yea you don't have anything to worry about! We have pretty similar stats (not gre score) you are in the clear.I'm in state! Here are my stats
Overall: 3.7
Science: 3.73
Last 45: 3.78
Quant:70% going to retake it again to get above the 74% average last year!
I'm in state! Here are my stats
Overall: 3.7
Science: 3.73
Last 45: 3.78
Quant:70% going to retake it again to get above the 74% average last year!
Yeah, you'll get an interview 🙂
I don't think retaking the GRE is necessary, but it wouldn't hurt and it might help for other schools.
ANNNNOOUUUNNNCCCEEEMMMMEEENNNNNTTT
Apparently, UC Davis might go with the Holistic View this year, as opposed to just looking at our GPA's and GRE scores.
Apparently, UC Davis might go with the Holistic View this year, as opposed to just looking at our GPA's and GRE scores.
ANNNNOOUUUNNNCCCEEEMMMMEEENNNNNTTT
Apparently, UC Davis might go with the Holistic View this year, as opposed to just looking at our GPA's and GRE scores.
Ooh interesting! Where'd you hear that?
Best of luck you and to all applicants! Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. My proverbial door is always open.
Hey I am applying to UCDavis and do you mind sharing the supplemental application questions? I would like to start working on them now. Thank you much!
There are no supplemental application essays! Just demographic information like ethnicity and state of residence. It took maybe ten minutes. Just finish the VMCAS and you'll be fine!Hey I am applying to UCDavis and do you mind sharing the supplemental application questions? I would like to start working on them now. Thank you much!
Hey Coopah, thanks so much for getting back to me, but I when I talked to the admission lady she said there are a few essay questions that we need to write. Mmmm I guess they changed it! Oh well more essay to write I guessThere are no supplemental application essays! Just demographic information like ethnicity and state of residence. It took maybe ten minutes. Just finish the VMCAS and you'll be fine!
Hey Coopah, thanks so much for getting back to me, but I when I talked to the admission lady she said there are a few essay questions that we need to write. Mmmm I guess they changed it! Oh well more essay to write I guess
Oh wow they must have changed it up this year! Best of luck!
Lots of places seem to be changing it and adding more stuff because they changed the personal statement stuff 😕Oh wow they must have changed it up this year! Best of luck!
Lots of places seem to be changing it and adding more stuff because they changed the personal statement stuff 😕
It's weird for UC Davis though, because they didn't used to even read the personal statement- strictly numbers until interviews. I guess they're really changing things this year!
I think that UC Davis is doing a great job of taking a holistic approach since the number is NOT a GOOD factor in determining if the student can perform effectively during the vet school. College and Vet school are very different. If a student is successful in college doesn't mean he/she is also successful in vet school. Beside, most "booksmart" students don't make great veterinarians. I have dealt with a few vets that were booksmart but didn't know **** in the field. Also, starting next year, most schools don't accept the stupid GRE scores. yay to that also 🙂It's weird for UC Davis though because they didn't use to even read the personal statement- strictly numbers until interviews. I guess they're really changing things this year!
I think that UC Davis is doing a great job of taking a holistic approach since the number is NOT a GOOD factor in determining if the student can perform effectively during the vet school. College and Vet school are very different. If a student is successful in college doesn't mean he/she is also successful in vet school. Beside, most "booksmart" students don't make great veterinarians. I have dealt with a few vets that were booksmart but didn't know **** in the field. Also, starting next year, most schools don't accept the stupid GRE scores. yay to that also 🙂
You're making some pretty broad generalizations. There's also no need to put other people down. (I guess it depends on your definition, but I'd say most vets are pretty book smart!)
Can you do well in vet school despite a less than perfect undergrad GPA? Can you be a fantastic vet despite low grades in undergrad and vet school? Of course! But yes, undergraduate GPA is a good indicator of who will perform well in vet school. I don't know of research specifically for vet school, but for med students, research shows a positive correlation between undergrad GPA and med school GPA, and between med school GPA and performance as a doctor. I'd imagine vet school is similar.
I think it's also worth mentioning that UC Davis has updated their website for this application cycle, but they haven't listed any changes to the process. Until there's more information, there's no saying just how "holistic" it'll be.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup. Some people are all around smart and have a personality to boot.Be careful with generalizations like this. I understand what you're trying to say, but everyone in vet school is at least decently "booksmart"; although some schools have more holistic admissions processes than others, the fact remains that the overall process heavily selects for "booksmart" applicants because you do need to be able to reasonably perform academically to make it through vet school. It's a whole other world from undergrad in terms of volume and difficulty.
And some of us are idiots who are just good at cramming. 😉Yup. Some people are all around smart and have a personality to boot.
Hey, sorry didn't mean to denigrate anyone but I know people with a 4.0 couldn't make it during vet schools and got kicked out. And I also said some booksmart people not every single one of them 😉You're making some pretty broad generalizations. There's also no need to put other people down. (I guess it depends on your definition, but I'd say most vets are pretty book smart!)
Can you do well in vet school despite a less than perfect undergrad GPA? Can you be a fantastic vet despite low grades in undergrad and vet school? Of course! But yes, undergraduate GPA is a good indicator of who will perform well in vet school. I don't know of research specifically for vet school, but for med students, research shows a positive correlation between undergrad GPA and med school GPA, and between med school GPA and performance as a doctor. I'd imagine vet school is similar.
I think it's also worth mentioning that UC Davis has updated their website for this application cycle, but they haven't listed any changes to the process. Until there's more information, there's no saying just how "holistic" it'll be.
Hey, sorry didn't mean to denigrate anyone but I know people with a 4.0 couldn't make it during vet schools and got kicked out. And I also said some booksmart people not every single one of them 😉
You said most 😉
But yeah, I know what you meant.
Could you share your statistic (overall GPA, Science GPA, the last 45 GPA, and your GRE score) with us if you don't mind? ThanksYou said most 😉
But yeah, I know what you meant.
Are you a Vet student?Yup. Some people are all around smart and have a personality to boot.
Are you a vet student?And some of us are idiots who are just good at cramming. 😉
Vet Student and ModGod ExtraordinaireAre you a Vet student?
She be a vetAre you a vet student?
Are you a vet student?She be a vet
I am. Why do you ask?Are you a Vet student?
Could you share your statistic (overall GPA, Science GPA, the last 45 GPA, and your GRE score) with us if you don't mind? Thanks
Davis doesn't look at overall GPA (or at least didn't when I applied). Individuals' stats don't mean much- there's no way to tell how representative they are of who applied and was accepted/rejected.
I don't remember my exact stats, but I was definitely on the lower end for GPA and squeaked by thanks to a high GRE score.
They have pretty comprehensive stats on their site (broken down by IS vs. OOS) and also say what stats "competitive" applicants have. I believe they said a 3.80 average (last 45 and sciGPA) and higher is competitive for OOS, and that sounds about right based on who got interviews last year. I don't know much about IS stats, but there's certainly a much wider range.
Are you a Vet student?
If you're on your computer, most people have their status under their avatar. On mobile you can click on the person's username and see their title but not their status (so for me, you can see that I'm c/o 2021 but you can't see that I'm listed as pre-vet).
Not anymore! 😉Are you a vet student?
Are you a Vet student?
Are you a vet student?
Are you a vet student?
Status doesn't make what they say any less true bruh 😉
If you don't mind me asking, What kind of updates were made on their website?You're making some pretty broad generalizations. There's also no need to put other people down. (I guess it depends on your definition, but I'd say most vets are pretty book smart!)
Can you do well in vet school despite a less than perfect undergrad GPA? Can you be a fantastic vet despite low grades in undergrad and vet school? Of course! But yes, undergraduate GPA is a good indicator of who will perform well in vet school. I don't know of research specifically for vet school, but for med students, research shows a positive correlation between undergrad GPA and med school GPA, and between med school GPA and performance as a doctor. I'd imagine vet school is similar.
I think it's also worth mentioning that UC Davis has updated their website for this application cycle, but they haven't listed any changes to the process. Until there's more information, there's no saying just how "holistic" it'll be.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just dates. 2017/2018 instead of 2016/2017.If you don't mind me asking, What kind of updates were made on their website?
You said you are OOS, may I ask what 's your home state?Just dates. 2017/2018 instead of 2016/2017.
You said you are OOS, may I ask what 's your home state?
Why do you want to know?
Why do you want to know?
Let's stray away from the interrogation like mood in this thread. In terms of applications, I see that the interviews are the first/second week of December and the fact that we find out UC Davis' decision in January (i think) does this mean we will know if we got in (or not!) before all the other vet schools let us know their decisions?Why do you want to know?