UC Davis SVM Class of 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone that was accepted today!

I was accepted (OOS) and have some questions for current students or recent grads. Anyone up for answering some questions by private message?
Sure, feel free to msg me. I'm class of 2020

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to the UC Davis Class of 2022!

Very happy for you!

UC Davis CVM.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to my new classmates!! I was admitted yesterday! IS and currently in grad school at Davis doing a PhD in Pharm Tox! If anyone has any questions about Davis I would be happy to talk to you :) I have been here for a while in many different areas! I'm so excited to join you all on this journey!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Super bummed, didn't even get waitlisted. Congrats to everyone who was accepted!

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, like literally a few minutes ago. I'm sure they'll get through everyone today, so best of luck if you haven't heard back! I'll be going to Midwestern this fall so we still might be colleagues in the future!

I was accepted (OOS) and have some questions for current students or recent grads. Anyone up for answering some questions by private message?
Hi there I'm a current first year as well OOS from NH! Feel free to ask me anything :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to my new classmates!! I was admitted yesterday! IS and currently in grad school at Davis doing a PhD in Pharm Tox! If anyone has any questions about Davis I would be happy to talk to you :) I have been here for a while in many different areas! I'm so excited to join you all on this journey!!!
Did you do the mock interviews? Because I think I met you! I don't know if you've decided to come here officially yet but congrats! I hope I get to be your classmate :)

Yep, like literally a few minutes ago. I'm sure they'll get through everyone today, so best of luck if you haven't heard back! I'll be going to Midwestern this fall so we still might be colleagues in the future!
I'm sorry you didn't get in, it was really competitive this year. Congrats on Midwestern though! We'll be colleagues still.

I'm sorry you didn't get in, it was really competitive this year. Congrats on Midwestern though! We'll be colleagues still.
No worries, I gave it my best shot and that's all I could have done. :) Thanks, I'm looking forward to being part of the veterinary community with all of you guys! :p

What do you think that means?

Did you do the mock interviews? Because I think I met you! I don't know if you've decided to come here officially yet but congrats! I hope I get to be your classmate :)
Yes I did mocks!!! So excited to join the svm family!!

Congratulations to all the newly admitted students! I'm a first year and happy to answer questions if needed. :)
Hi! I was accepted on Tuesday and on the checklist on the portal it says: "New students that received a degree (bachelor's or graduate degree) prior to submitting their application to VMCAS or earned a degree (bachelor's or graduate degree) in December 2017, must submit an official and final transcript with degree posted by February 1st. When ordering your transcript, make sure you indicate the degree must be posted."

I graduated undergrad in June before submitting VMCAS and therefore sent a transcript with my degree posted for my VMCAS trasncript... Does this mean that I still have to send another transcript by February 1st even though I have not been in school since submitting VMCAS? Thank you!!

There’s still hope everyone! Emails are out! :)

Does Davis look at your pre-reqs before admitting you?

To my best knowledge I’ve satisfied the pre-req courses but I went to an out of state 4 year university not listed on the transferable courses website. I thought it was fine since the courses are pretty straight forward, but now I’m worried that there will be some unforeseen problem..

:clap::clap::clap:
Congratulations to everyone accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist or waiting to hear from other schools!

I'm a first year and I love it here. Please feel free to send any questions my way!

Bummer. Waitlisted at 30 :(

I think last year #30 got called!

Does Davis look at your pre-reqs before admitting you?

To my best knowledge I’ve satisfied the pre-req courses but I went to an out of state 4 year university not listed on the transferable courses website. I thought it was fine since the courses are pretty straight forward, but now I’m worried that there will be some unforeseen problem..

I'm pretty sure they don't check pre-reqs before admission. I had the same panic last year and everything turned out fine. There's a course substitution form on the website- fill it out for every pre-req. You can also call. Last year they couldn't 100% confirm everything by phone, but they were very helpful and reassuring.

:clap::clap::clap:
Congratulations to everyone accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist or waiting to hear from other schools!

I'm a first year and I love it here. Please feel free to send any questions my way!

I think last year #30 got called!

I'm pretty sure they don't check pre-reqs before admission. I had the same panic last year and everything turned out fine. There's a course substitution form on the website- fill it out for every pre-req. You can also call. Last year they couldn't 100% confirm everything by phone, but they were very helpful and reassuring.

Okay, that makes me feel a little better. I called today and had to leave a message, but I’ll definitely fill out those forms tonight. Thank you for your help!

Feel free to ask me anything :) First year, in state

Does Davis provide access to students to any teaching animals outside of designated labs? I know there's no teaching animal unit or something like that, but where do the large animals they have live?

Does Davis provide access to students to any teaching animals outside of designated labs? I know there's no teaching animal unit or something like that, but where do the large animals they have live?
We have colony dogs and colony cats, all of whom get adopted. We practise physical exams and palpations on them and they get spayed or neutered and lots of training. We have access to them 24/7 and it's a common sight to see vet student on the floor of the cat room with kittens climbing all over them. However, we don't have teaching horses or other large animals to my knowledge. I could be completely wrong. When we did our labs on sheep we used the school's animal science sheep which were owned by someone outside the school. I'm not sure about the cows. I think the horses we practiced on where owned by people other than the school as well. So long story short I don't think there's any teaching animals for large animals to have access to. Sorry!

Adding to Coopah's answer - yes, we do have access to the teaching colony of cats and dogs outside of labs. They're housed in the Gourley center where most (all?) of the teaching animals are housed. When we've practiced exams on large animals they were brought to Gourley for the day from other parts of campus like the dairy or the Center for Equine Health (which are owned by the school).

There's also a clinical skills practice room with latex dog and cat models that you can draw fake "blood" from, place catheters on, practice with IV pumps, etc. There's a tech on staff whose entire job is to help students with clinical skills in that room, either on a walk-in basis or by appointment.

Finally, most of the clubs offer opportunities to practice clinical skills with animals outside of class. Sometimes they're students' animals and sometimes they're owned by the school. For example, last semester the club wetlabs I attended included an ultrasound lab in the teaching hospital where the staff showed us how to find structures using students' dogs as volunteers, and another wetlab where the staff at the Center for Equine Health showed us how to do palpations to check the cycles of mares owned by the school. And, of course, you can practice your clinical skills on your rotation days in the teaching hospital.

Here is some great news from UC Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital.
[I already posted this elsewhere on SDN, but thought you might like to see it, too.]

This bear's paws were badly burned in the Southern California wildfires of last month. Another adult bear was also treated for serious burns and so was a young mountain lion. They were taken to the UC Davis Medical Teaching Hospital for care and treatment.

burnedbear-jpg.228431

Photograph of the bear's burned paws.

burnedbearouch-jpg.228434

A team of veterinarians from UC Davis (Jamie Peyton, DVM, Chief of Integrated Medicine) stitched fish skins onto the bear's burned paws, then wrapped the treated paws with bandages of rice paper and corn husks.

burnedbearvet-jpg.228432

Photograph of the bear's paw covered in fish skin.

burnedbearfish-jpg.228435

The bear recovered well ... and was released back into the wild last week. :biglove:

Reactions: 12 users
Question for those familiar with the area - are there any neighborhoods or apartment complexes that you would recommend to avoid? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom for myself, SO, and my ~60lb dog. I've been looking into Cambridge House, Greystone, Renaissance Park, and a few others. I'll likely drive to class but I'd like to stay within Davis itself. I'm from the east coast so I'm not sure if I'll be flying out to visit and tour before committing to a place, so any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated!

Question for those familiar with the area - are there any neighborhoods or apartment complexes that you would recommend to avoid? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom for myself, SO, and my ~60lb dog. I've been looking into Cambridge House, Greystone, Renaissance Park, and a few others. I'll likely drive to class but I'd like to stay within Davis itself. I'm from the east coast so I'm not sure if I'll be flying out to visit and tour before committing to a place, so any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated!
A lot of students live at Stonegate, including myself :) They have no breed restrictions for dogs, weight limit is ~75lb I think, and you can have 3 pets! It's a ~7 min drive to campus and a 15-20 min bike ride. Places in Davis can be pretty hard to find after Feb-March, but students are constantly posting housing opportunities on the moving fb page. I actually haven't heard of any places that people say to avoid so far!

Also, I am from socal and didn't have time to tour my apartment before committing because they were going so fast, but it ended up working out and I love it here!

Here is some great news from UC Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital.
[I already posted this elsewhere on SDN, but thought you might like to see it, too.]

This bear's paws were badly burned in the Southern California wildfires of last month. Another adult bear was also treated for serious burns and so was a young mountain lion. They were taken to the UC Davis Medical Teaching Hospital for care and treatment.

burnedbear-jpg.228431

Photograph of the bear's burned paws.

burnedbearouch-jpg.228434

A team of veterinarians from UC Davis (Jamie Peyton, DVM, Chief of Integrated Medicine) stitched fish skins onto the bear's burned paws, then wrapped the treated paws with bandages of rice paper and corn husks.

burnedbearvet-jpg.228432

Photograph of the bear's paw covered in fish skin.

burnedbearfish-jpg.228435

The bear recovered well ... and was released back into the wild last week. :biglove:

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. Why did they choose fish skin and corn husks and rice paper? I love that approach and that this bear was helped. Is this something that is a common practice or was this more of a non traditional method that had never been tried before? I am so curious as to how and why they came up with this.

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. Why did they choose fish skin and corn husks and rice paper? I love that approach and that this bear was helped. Is this something that is a common practice or was this more of a non traditional method that had never been tried before? I am so curious as to how and why they came up with this.
@99Birdy ...

For an interesting discussion about the bears' treatment with tilapia, please click on the following link (UC Davis news):

Bears Burned in California Wildfires Healed With Fish Skins, Released to Wild

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! For everyone on the wait list, the class has been finalized, I'm sorry if you didn't make it. For the new class welcome! I personally am very excited to meet you all in the fall! Please don't hesitate to reach out with questions.

I have requested access to colony dogs and other animals several times. I was told that we do not have access to animals outside of class. I was encouraged to find student animals (large and small). From my conversations with faculty, it sounds like each animal is restricted to a certain amount of time with students. Of course, if you are involved in a club that uses school animals, that is different. But my experience is that we cannot work with animals outside of class/lab. And every after-class lab I have attended has involved student animals only (I have not attended large animal after-class labs, though).

Hi everyone! For everyone on the wait list, the class has been finalized, I'm sorry if you didn't make it. For the new class welcome! I personally am very excited to meet you all in the fall! Please don't hesitate to reach out with questions.
Excited to meet you all too! :D

Hello all!

Graduation is right around the corner. If any of you are looking for employment in southern California, my clinic is currently looking to hire and mentor a new graduate DVM. We are a small animal general practice located in Alta Loma, California. Please send me a personal message if you are interested in more details.