This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I'm sure its coming! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Because UCRs application isn’t ready, do you think it’s best that I wait to give my recommenders the guidelines from the post bacc program or should I give them the LOR guidelines from AAMC so that they can start working on the letter? My worry is that the deadline for UCRs post bacc application is going to remain the same (April 17) even though the application still isn’t available.

Reactions: 1 user
No, it gave me the option to log in and choose a date out specific days and then they assigned a time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because UCRs application isn’t ready, do you think it’s best that I wait to give my recommenders the guidelines from the post bacc program or should I give them the LOR guidelines from AAMC so that they can start working on the letter? My worry is that the deadline for UCRs post bacc application is going to remain the same (April 17) even though the application still isn’t available.

I think you should give them the one similar from the AAMC, because they shouldn't ask something wildly different from the UC one from last year! But again, I think since they're pushing the application I think you can lett your letter writers aware fo the situation, but have one in case its similar to the AAMC

No, it gave me the option to log in and choose a date out specific days and then they assigned a time.
Congrats! That is really awesome! Totally okay if not, but mind sharing your stats? I'm just super nervous!

Hi there, I remember you from last year's forum! I won't be applying this year but plan to do so in 2020. I am wondering if you completely changed your personal statements and if you asked for new LOR? Is there anything you did differently this time around in terms of work experience or volunteering?

Hi I changed my personal statements to improve them and add new “stuff”. No new LOR, and only worked changed nothing else really. Hope that helps. Feel free to direct message me if you’d like to know anything else.

Congrats! That is really awesome! Totally okay if not, but mind sharing your stats? I'm just super nervous!
Yea! no worries! My application is kind of complicated because I went to 3 different colleges haha and
College 1: 2.9 GPA (all science classes)
College 2: 3.6 cumulative (some science but I'm not sure what it is)
College 3: 3.9 science, 3.7 cumulative
I believe my science GPA overall is a 3.2 and cumulative is 3.5
I helped out with an international medical mission trip to South Africa for 2 weeks a couple years ago, volunteered at a Gastroenterology clinic and a children's hospital for 2 years, homeless feedings, and started research last year and presented at a national conference (no publications though :().

But I'm sure your email is coming!!! stay strong!

When asked whether the priority deadline applicant interviews were still being sent out I received this email back:

“Thank you for your email. UC Irvine's Postbaccalaureate Program is currently reviewing applications and beginning sending out interview invites to competitive candidates. We will continue sending interview invitations out to qualified candidates (those who met priority deadline and or final deadline) through early April.”

Reactions: 3 users
I received an email for an interview from UCI on Friday and chose a day next week. This was my third time applying and my first ever interview. Everyone reading this I hope you guys make it and never give up please!! I can, I will, I must!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My app was marked complete on 2/5/19 and I received an interview invite from UCI today 3/5/19. There is hope!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Second time applying app marked complete 1/30, nothing yet from Irvine! Waitlisted at UCSD. Holding out hope for Davis.

Overall 3.2
Science 3.2
About 7 mos of shadowing the head of osteopathic surgery clinic/OR twice a week.

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten interviews so far! Good job, guys!

Reactions: 1 users
I received an email for an interview from UCI on Friday and chose a day next week. This was my third time applying and my first ever interview. Everyone reading this I hope you guys make it and never give up please!! I can, I will, I must!

What an inspiration! Best of luck friend!

Congrats to everyone who received an interview so far and good luck to everyone waiting!!

For those applying to UCR, would you guys happen to know or have an idea what their essay prompts may be so we can start drafting? Do you think it'd be similar to their med school secondaries or the UC consortium?

Any tips as far as what you have done over the years to improve your application? I think this may be my last year applying before I just wave the white flag and take the MCAT, not sure

Congrats to everyone who has gotten an invitation for interviews! Wishing you all the best of luck

Any tips as far as what you have done over the years to improve your application? I think this may be my last year applying before I just wave the white flag and take the MCAT, not sure

Yeah so for me I think the most important thing I did was taking as many science courses I could at a community college and at an extension of a university for two years to raise my gpa. I had so many units from a previous junior college that it took So many units with As just to raise a .1 but my cumalitive numbers were

CC: 3.2
4year: 2.47
Postbacc at CC & extension: 3.76 —all bio category classes about 50 units

I also I have a lot of research and a publication, many years serving in a clinic for the uninsured and many other leadership roles in the underserved community where I grew up. I also got a new letter of rec from a professor and had all my other LORs update their letters for me. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
For those who interviewed in previous cycles, are the interviews like med school interviews or more like getting to know you?

For those who interviewed in previous cycles, are the interviews like med school interviews or more like getting to know you?
Interviews are definitely more laid back and really just conversation trying to get to know you.

Also for those interested in UCR, APPLICATION IS OPEN!

The UCR application deadlines are still the same even though the application came out a month late. I am going to call and email asking whether or not they plan on extending the deadline or if it is staying the same.

The UCR application deadlines are still the same even though the application came out a month late. I am going to call and email asking whether or not they plan on extending the deadline or if it is staying the same.

Please let us know what they say. However, the application doesn’t seem too bad. I’ve looked through the whole thing. Two essays 400 words which is just about the same for the consortium ones and then short essay 250words I believe then the rest is just filling stuff out. No input of grades either which is nice. However getting all our letters and transcripts in might be the only problem with the shorter timeframe.

Please let us know what they say. However, the application doesn’t seem too bad. I’ve looked through the whole thing. Two essays 400 words which is just about the same for the consortium ones and then short essay 250words I believe then the rest is just filling stuff out. No input of grades either which is nice. However getting all our letters and transcripts in might be the only problem with the shorter timeframe.

Oh yeah the essays are no problem. Its the letters and transcripts Im worried about. More so the letters.

just wondering if anyone has an idea as to what I should input under the disadvantaged status; it asks the zip code of where I was living at certain ages of my life but I lived outside of the country and the zip code is not 5 digits and zip codes aren't usually utilized, but the application is not accepting 4 digits or leaving it blank even if i choose "other" on community type.

just wondering if anyone has an idea as to what I should input under the disadvantaged status; it asks the zip code of where I was living at certain ages of my life but I lived outside of the country and the zip code is not 5 digits and zip codes aren't usually utilized, but the application is not accepting 4 digits or leaving it blank even if i choose "other" on community type.

Some of my locations were out of the country as well and the form did not allow me to input letters which is what they use for a zip code. I thought I left it blank but maybe that was last year. I may have just put all 0s. I’ll double check

Some of my locations were out of the country as well and the form did not allow me to input letters which is what they use for a zip code. I thought I left it blank but maybe that was last year. I may have just put all 0s. I’ll double check
thank you. i appreciate your help. :)

Got an interview invitation from UC Davis today! Anyone else?

Reactions: 5 users
Same here! were y'all able to pick a time? I was only able to pick a date and only one day was available.

Yeah same here. I emailed them and they said that they will be emailing us with all the information soon.

Yeah same here. I emailed them and they said that they will be emailing us with all the information soon.
I'm confused though. My interview date is tomorrow and havent received anything. Hopefully, they get back to me soon.

I'm confused though. My interview date is tomorrow and havent received anything. Hopefully, they get back to me soon.

Mine is also tomorrow, but thats what they said when I emailed them. Maybe try and ask? the contact is in the email they sent yesterday

Can someone explain to me what UC Consortium is? What schools are involved? I saw on UCD's website that UCSD isn't mentioned even though they have a postbacc program. What's the difference between applying through this vs. applying to the schools individually? Is this a different program from the individual postbacc's? Thanks in advance, I applied to UCSD's postbacc and I'm confused and interested as to what this is!

Can someone explain to me what UC Consortium is? What schools are involved? I saw on UCD's website that UCSD isn't mentioned even though they have a postbacc program. What's the difference between applying through this vs. applying to the schools individually? Is this a different program from the individual postbacc's? Thanks in advance, I applied to UCSD's postbacc and I'm confused and interested as to what this is!
UC Consortium is a system application of UCI, UCD, UCLA, and UCSF for their postbac. UCSD and UCR have their own postbac application.

Also just finished up my interview with UC Davis and wanted to give you guys some insight/tips. Davis has a unique application process where they interview you once through webcam (online) and then after if you get to the 2nd round of interviews you go to the actual school in person. I believe the other UCs in the consortium just have one interview that is in person.

For the UC Davis primary interview:

1) Be yourself! The first interview should not be too stressful. The program is truly just trying to get to know you as a person so be honest and don't feel like everything you talk about has to be about medicine (I talked about my passion for dance for example)

2) Try your best to answer the full question. Even if you blank at the moment or forget your point, just take a few seconds and continue.

3) Don't be afraid to ask questions, you are also trying to get to know them and the program so have at least 1 or 2 questions in mind that you can ask.

4) Be confident!

Wish you all the best of luck! Hopefully we will see each other as future cohort colleagues :)

Reactions: 8 users
Also just finished up my interview with UC Davis and wanted to give you guys some insight/tips. Davis has a unique application process where they interview you once through webcam (online) and then after if you get to the 2nd round of interviews you go to the actual school in person. I believe the other UCs in the consortium just have one interview that is in person.

For the UC Davis primary interview:

1) Be yourself! The first interview should not be too stressful. The program is truly just trying to get to know you as a person so be honest and don't feel like everything you talk about has to be about medicine (I talked about my passion for dance for example)

2) Try your best to answer the full question. Even if you blank at the moment or forget your point, just take a few seconds and continue.

3) Don't be afraid to ask questions, you are also trying to get to know them and the program so have at least 1 or 2 questions in mind that you can ask.

4) Be confident!

Wish you all the best of luck! Hopefully we will see each other as future cohort colleagues :)

Good luck!! do you know when you'll hear back?

Do you mind if I ask for your stats?

I posted my stats on the previous page but as far as academics: 2.8 science gpa, 3.2 cumulative gpa. No research experience but lots of experience working with the underserved.

Last edited:
Hello, it's my first post! But I have been anxiously checking my emails and this forum the past few weeks. I have three questions.

1. I was wondering, does anyone have any figures/numbers as to how many people get into UCD's in person interview? (Just had my primary interview)
2. Since I already had my interview, does this mean no one else (new) will receive an invitation for UCD's primary interview despite it being due next week? I'm trying to motivate my friend and not feel bad about not receiving hers YET.
3. If I submitted my app 02/24 for UCI's priority deadline and have not gotten an invitation for an interview; does this mean this is the end for me for UCI (even if the app is due next week)? In other words, do they look at the applications submitted before 02/27 independently to those sent after-meaning that if I have no responses, then D:

Congrats to those already invited to their interviews.

Hello, it's my first post! But I have been anxiously checking my emails and this forum the past few weeks. I have three questions.

1. I was wondering, does anyone have any figures/numbers as to how many people get into UCD's in person interview? (Just had my primary interview)
2. Since I already had my interview, does this mean no one else (new) will receive an invitation for UCD's primary interview despite it being due next week? I'm trying to motivate my friend and not feel bad about not receiving hers YET.
3. If I submitted my app 02/24 for UCI's priority deadline and have not gotten an invitation for an interview; does this mean this is the end for me for UCI (even if the app is due next week)?

Pure speculation but I don’t remember anyone getting interviews late in the process last year. I’m in the same boat where I turned in all my stuff very early (third person complete according to UCD) but didn’t get a single response. I think we are pretty much boned for this cycle unfortunately

Pure speculation but I don’t remember anyone getting interviews late in the process last year. I’m in the same boat where I turned in all my stuff very early (third person complete according to UCD) but didn’t get a single response. I think we are pretty much boned for this cycle unfortunately
Don't we still have UCSF? I have not heard anyone get a response yet. Looking back at the 2018-2019 (due date last yr 3/23) cycle, it seems like they got their invitations for an interview around mid to late April.

On top of that, I saw multiple examples of people getting rejected to UCI/UCD and only accepted to UCSF. Examples were found in last year's thread and people I personally knew. Wishful thinking or a real last chance? Really want the latter.

3. If I submitted my app 02/24 for UCI's priority deadline and have not gotten an invitation for an interview; does this mean this is the end for me for UCI (even if the app is due next week)? In other words, do they look at the applications submitted before 02/27 independently to those sent after-meaning that if I have no responses, then D:

Hey! So here what i know from my understanding

1. I'm not too sure how many get an in person interview, but I think not everyone who got a 1st interview will get a 2nd one. Also, the program at Davis accepts about 20 ppl for the post bacc.

2. UCD will still be handing out interviews so even if your friend didn't get one there is still time! I think they do interviews all month of march and april.

3. Im on the same boat as you, I submitted my app on 2/26 and haven't heard from them, but that does not mean we can't get an interview. UCI also interviews until about April so there's still hope!

Reactions: 2 users