This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats and goodluck! Is this for a primary interview or invitation to the secondary?
Thank you! This is for the primary interview

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Did a lot of y'all take more classes after graduating undergrad to boost up your GPA for when applying to Post Bacc Programs? Cuz I was under the impression that "GPA boost" is what these post bacc programs are mostly for in the first place...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did a lot of y'all take more classes after graduating undergrad to boost up your GPA for when applying to Post Bacc Programs? Cuz I was under the impression that "GPA boost" is what these post bacc programs are mostly for in the first place...

Yes, I did because I need to raise my sGPA by a fairly significant amount, and I had taken a lot of science classes already. I am taking one this semester, and it will be my 7th one. While it is true that academic enhancer post-bacc programs are designed for students to raise their sGPA, they have been getting more and more competitive granted that more students have been going the post-bacc route vs. going straight into medical school.

Yes, I did because I need to raise my sGPA by a fairly significant amount, and I had taken a lot of science classes already. I am taking one this semester, and it will be my 7th one. While it is true that academic enhancer post-bacc programs are designed for students to raise their sGPA, they have been getting more and more competitive granted that more students have been going the post-bacc route vs. going straight into medical school.

Where did you take your classes? at a CC or at your same university? also, if you were taking more classes, were you still building up your resume in other ways?

Where did you take your classes? at a CC or at your same university? also, if you were taking more classes, were you still building up your resume in other ways?

I took them at multiple colleges (e.g. 4 at a cal state, 1 at a UC, and 3 at a private university). I am also in the process of completing my MPH this semester. After graduating from undergrad, I worked as an ER scribe, did clinical volunteering, did community work at my current school, am doing research, and am tutoring on the side. I graduated in 2016 so I've had a lot of time build my experiences

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone had any difficulties in getting a community service LOR? I have done community service but it has been a while and I haven't been able to get someone to write one for me because it's been so long. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am applying as a re-applicant and so I still have some time before I submit my application. I am training for a community service position right now, but I can't ask because I haven't officially started yet.

Last edited:
Got an interview to UCD today!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else applied for the Scripps College Post Bacc program in the Claremont Schools?
I believe that is a career changer not a grade enhancer program

Is anyone else studying for the MCAT just in case they don’t get into a program? I got my books last week, just starting them now

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else studying for the MCAT just in case they don’t get into a program? I got my books last week, just starting them now
I’m also considering this route. Did you apply to post bacc programs outside of the UC Consortium?

I got the Kaplan books off amazon that comes with the practice tests. Going to follow their 12 week program and then take the test mid July. I applied to the consortium and UCSD. I know there are other programs out there but it looked like mostly masters programs. I did see one out in Midwest (can’t remember which state) but I assumed I would have to pay out of state tuition

One of my advisors strongly suggested for me to do MCAT content review before starting post-bacc even if I am planning to do a post-bacc program that has MCAT prep integrated into the curriculum. They recommended this because the MCAT prep in the post-bacc would likely be very fast, and it would be unfavorable to be seeing that MCAT material for the first time. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 4 users
I got the Kaplan books off amazon that comes with the practice tests. Going to follow their 12 week program and then take the test mid July. I applied to the consortium and UCSD. I know there are other programs out there but it looked like mostly masters programs. I did see one out in Midwest (can’t remember which state) but I assumed I would have to pay out of state tuition

Did you consider CSUEB or SFSU’s post bacc?

One of my advisors strongly suggested for me to do MCAT content review before starting post-bacc even if I am planning to do a post-bacc program that has MCAT prep integrated into the curriculum. They recommended this because the MCAT prep in the post-bacc would likely be very fast, and it would be unfavorable to be seeing that MCAT material for the first time. Hope that helps!
I studied for the mcat last summer and was consistently scoring around 505 on the full length practice tests which are apparently much harder than the actual mcat although who knows how accurate that is

Does anyone know someone that’s gone through the UC Consortium post bac that knows how the MCAT course is structured? Or how they were scoring? Or even if they got into Medical school at the same school they did the post bac at or any med school after completing the program?

Sorry this might be a stupid question: did you have to apply for UCI through the UC consortium app or the PostBacCAS app? Because I did the latter but just saw on the Consortium app that UCI's deadline is today

Sorry this might be a stupid question: did you have to apply for UCI through the UC consortium app or the PostBacCAS app? Because I did the latter but just saw on the Consortium app that UCI's deadline is today
You have until 11:59pm to fix if necessary. Hmm, when I talked to my counselor (at UCI) she specifically referred me to the UCI Consortium page (and eventually UCD page). Sorry can't give you a direct answer, but my personal thought is that you should do it through the consortium.

I believe that the UCI through PostBacCas is for the career changer but the UC Consortium is for the academic enhancer, which is due tonight at 11:59, good luck though!

I had no idea that there were different applications for each program...where does it say that?? Also, I submitted that app around mid-February and still haven't heard back so it probably wasn't meant to be anyway :(

If it's not a "GPA enhancement" program, what would be the benefit of programs such as Scripps Post Bacc program, in terms of med school applications in the future?

Any new invites for interviews? If so which one and when were you notified?

Accepted to UCI!

Last edited:
Is it bad that I haven't heard anything? I submitted on Feb 27th :(.

Hey All,

I applied for the UC Consortium earlier this year as a plan B considering I wasn't getting a lot of med school interviews during my 2nd application cycle. I landed a DO acceptance 2 weeks ago which I accepted but, it wasn't my first choice. UCI is my first choice and I landed an interview for their post-bac program yesterday. Now, I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth risking the DO acceptance, going hard in the post-bac, and seeing if my chances of getting into UCISOM next year are high. Does anyone have any constructive feedback on this? What would you do in this situation?

Hey All,

I applied for the UC Consortium earlier this year as a plan B considering I wasn't getting a lot of med school interviews during my 2nd application cycle. I landed a DO acceptance 2 weeks ago which I accepted but, it wasn't my first choice. UCI is my first choice and I landed an interview for their post-bac program yesterday. Now, I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth risking the DO acceptance, going hard in the post-bac, and seeing if my chances of getting into UCISOM next year are high. Does anyone have any constructive feedback on this? What would you do in this situation?
I would take the DO school personally

Hey All,

Do you know if medical schools will look down at someone if they see that the applicant declined a med school opportuntity? That might be something to look into.

Would you mind sharing your interview experience? I have my interview on Tuesday at UCI
The interviewers ask a series of questions and it is just an opportunity for them to get to know you more. They were super friendly in my experience and it lasted 1 hour. Just be yourself! Good luck

Last edited:
The interviewers ask a series of questions and it is just an opportunity for them to get to know you more. They were super friendly in my experience and it lasted 1 hour. Just be yourself! Good luck
Thank you! Good luck to you too!

Hi All, I’m a reapplicate and I haven’t sent in my app yet. I missed UCI’s app, but do you think I still have a chance for the other UCs?