UCLA dental school - no scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asovhp09

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
i'm gonna be attending UCLA and I'm honestly surprised that they didn't offer me any kind of scholarship. Sorry if that sounds like a petty thing to say but I know for a fact that I have some of the highest stats in the admitted class if not the best (3.96 GPA and 25 DAT) and also went to one of the best undergrad schools out of everyone, and had very well-rounded extracurriculars. I also know that others with much lower GPA/DAT scores DID receive these so called "merit" scholarships.
Of course I know that scholarships aren't purely based on academics and other factors are important, but it makes no sense that I didn't receive even a small one. The only thing I can think of is that I'm Asian, so that could really downplay my academic achievements (please don't be triggered at me saying this, it's actually proven.) I guess all i'm trying to say is that it feels really unfair, and i'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i'm gonna be attending UCLA and I'm honestly surprised that they didn't offer me any kind of scholarship. Sorry if that sounds like a petty thing to say but I know for a fact that I have some of the highest stats in the admitted class if not the best (3.96 GPA and 25 DAT) and also went to one of the best undergrad schools out of everyone, and had very well-rounded extracurriculars. I also know that others with much lower GPA/DAT scores DID receive these so called "merit" scholarships.
Of course I know that scholarships aren't purely based on academics and other factors are important, but it makes no sense that I didn't receive even a small one. The only thing I can think of is that I'm Asian, so that could really downplay my academic achievements (please don't be triggered at me saying this, it's actually proven.) I guess all i'm trying to say is that it feels really unfair, and i'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this experience?
Right here with you but with a 3.99 science. Be careful about saying you're the best ;) (Don Kim also has a high DAT, as does KatawareDoki and chrishang and burritoz - these are off the top of my head that are active SDN users, but I'm sure there are tons more). I'm Asian too. The scholarships were only to OOS applicants (I haven't heard of 1 IS applicant that received a scholarship). There's not much you can do.

EDIT: Just realized that all the people I listed are Asian as well!

Reactions: 2 users
@artist2022 haha ok glad i'm not the only one, and I was saying that as a joke lol I know you guys are all amazing! I guess they offered the OOS people money to offset the cost, but I was under the impression it was merit-based. It's honestly super unfair how it's just expected for Asians to have amazing stats. at least UCLA is one of the cheaper schools though!

Members don't see this ad :)
@artist2022 haha ok glad i'm not the only one, and I was saying that as a joke lol I know you guys are all amazing! I guess they offered the OOS people money to offset the cost, but I was under the impression it was merit-based. It's honestly super unfair how it's just expected for Asians to have amazing stats. at least UCLA is one of the cheaper schools though!
It's all good :p We're all amazing (you too!). And yes, that's exactly why the scholarships were offered. The scholarship is only for the D1 year, and it's to help with the OOS tuition cost (cause they pay like 20k+ more than the IS people I think, I don't remember exactly). And yes it is! Also we have a GroupMe if you wanna vent some more :p If you're not a part of it, PM me and I'll add you. Otherwise, cya in a month!

Reactions: 2 users
hate to break it to you guys but i definitely know someone from in state who got the deans scholarship. she wasn't asian though. not sure where you heard it's only for OOS students

You are an ORM. Why not try military?

hate to break it to you guys but i definitely know someone from in state who got the deans scholarship. she wasn't asian though. not sure where you heard it's only for OOS students
I'm pretty sure in last year's thread or the year previous, someone called and asked about the scholarships and they said it was to help offset the OOS cost for 1st year (because you can get in-state tuition after your second year). Either way, kudos to them, I'm just glad to have gotten into my state school, which happens to be on the lower end for tuition. :)
You 1st years know nothing.
You were in our spot last year :punch::rage: you and acesofseven better help all us young'uns ;) See you in a month :happy: I'm so excited lol

I'm pretty sure in last year's thread or the year previous, someone called and asked about the scholarships and they said it was to help offset the OOS cost for 1st year (because you can get in-state tuition after your second year). Either way, kudos to them, I'm just glad to have gotten into my state school, which happens to be on the lower end for tuition. :)

You were in our spot last year :punch::rage: you and acesofseven better help all us young'uns ;) See you in a month :happy: I'm so excited lol
I wouldn’t trust aceofseven if my class II exit angles depended on it.

Reactions: 1 users
lol ur right about that, but what was that supposed to mean...?
yes actually turned down ivy league to be in CA
thanks for the idea, but no interest in serving in army/navy
It means you’re going to have a whole lot more to worry about when school starts and don’t sweat these small things like a scholarship. This school has a multiltude of amazing people, so don’t get bogged down during the school year if someone gets honors because you only missed four questions on the exam and they just missed two or a position you wanted on a committee went to another classmate. You’re very lucky to be set up at a school that has high specialization rates and is at least 200k less than that other school across town.

yes actually turned down ivy league to be in CA
Just curious...was the ivy league going to be cheaper than UCLA? If not, how do you figure it was a better offer than UCLA?