UCLA ---> Happy January 15th!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope someone will either stop by the office or call them this week to see what's up?

That would be wonderful.
 
And in response to some that have said that it will come out end of the month, I truthfully don't think they even know. For all practical purposes it could come out today...

...we'll see
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BUMP...NOT THAT IM ANTSY OR ANYTHING LOL

Did you guys notice the website has been updated with grad info, and still not us....sigh
 
I don't know why I keep opening this thread....and I'm only adding to the problem now haha. I just find it funny that so many of us (including me) still think it's possible that they would make a decision on 98% of those who have interviewed....then wait 2 more weeks, and meet again to decide on the handful of interviewers in the upcoming weeks. I think its way more likely they'll wait till interview season is done.
 
I don't know why I keep opening this thread....and I'm only adding to the problem now haha. I just find it funny that so many of us (including me) still think it's possible that they would make a decision on 98% of those who have interviewed....then wait 2 more weeks, and meet again to decide on the handful of interviewers in the upcoming weeks. I think its way more likely they'll wait till interview season is done.

there has been some here who have pretty good information that committees have been meeting for a while now. when I called the office a couple weeks ago, they said that its really up to the Dean to begin releasing acceptances. but you are right, some of us might not hear until April 🙁
 
I don't know why I keep opening this thread....and I'm only adding to the problem now haha. I just find it funny that so many of us (including me) still think it's possible that they would make a decision on 98% of those who have interviewed....then wait 2 more weeks, and meet again to decide on the handful of interviewers in the upcoming weeks. I think its way more likely they'll wait till interview season is done.

Committees have been making acceptances since November. Plenty of decisions have been made --- it's just that UCLA is taking its sweet time releasing the information.

Guys, it can't be much longer! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone called THIS week to get a more accurate prediction as to when these decisions will be released?
 
Guys, somebody should seriously call or stop by the office.

And I also don't think that posting on here hurts anybody better understand when these letters will be sent out.
 
ohh, come on please....

I already said in a previous post that I called last week...it's cool, if you all don't care to know, we can all live with that.
 
Ah, I just kidding! haha

Well, I called - and you (and all other hopefuls) are NOT going to like the answer:

"In the next month or so"

Basically, the VERY Nice woman on the phone said that there is no set date, that they will be interviewing into March & April and that they are still continuing to screen applicants. The dean has yet to decide when to release results, so she anticipates in the next month or so. When I asked about decisions in Feb, she was very reluctant to say anything & just repeated that there's no set date.... But she did say that the decision sent box will change and she did say that no acceptances have gone out as of yet.
 
Yikes, thanks for calling though...

I can't believe they are delaying this thing for so long...wow, already

...well, back to our regular programming...

😱
 
Just wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day! I think we all want some kind of love (be it UCLA...ahem...or whatever). 😍 😍 😍
 
For some reason, I get the feeling that people will be posting on SDN about Harvard acceptances before they are posting about UCLA acceptances...
 
Towelie, absolutely right. I just don't get why they put a release date that they can never "release" decisions by. Just tell everyone March 1st and no one will care if they come out early.

Thats 1, and 2 is the fact that no one I talk to can figure out what they are deciding on, when decisions have been waiting for so long. It just seems like they are sitting on some table waiting...
 
Well, as I understand, we're all assigned scores post interview (only the Chairs of committees know the scores, committee members vote individually somehow assigning a score). The Chairs hand these over to admissions. Admissions enters them into a computer. They eventually draw a line and start accepting pp above the line. As people decline, the drop the cutoff line lower & accept more people.

This is my understanding of the process, and so it seems indeed our fates are already determined (and probably have been for months) in terms of our score & sitting on a list.

The woman on the phone very nicely, yet insistently reminded me that they are still interviewing and screening.... this leads me to believe that they are finetuning their line placement? Who knows.... Maybe delays are elsewhere - like the packets are ready, but the Dean has to sign them all or the website for class of '11 isn't ready yet so they are waiting to change everything at once, etc.... I guess we'll never really know...
 
Very true, this delay could very well be due to the fact that someone has decided they need more people interviewed so that they can have a better idea of were to draw the line.

I would doubt that this is happening though, because my understanding is that the subcommittees make the decisions and the recommendation to accept, waitlist, or reject is rarely changed by the main committee.

The fact that they have been postponing this thing little by little until now suggests its not a systematic thing but a bottleneck effect with someone releasing the letters....
 
I would doubt that this is happening though, because my understanding is that the subcommittees make the decisions and the recommendation to accept, waitlist, or reject is rarely changed by the main committee.

From my understanding, UCLA committees don't recommend accept/waitlist/reject - they assign a score and admissions determines the cut off point. This is from what was explained to me by a current UCLA student and what was explained to another applicant by their faculty interviewer.

The fact that they have been postponing this thing little by little until now suggests its not a systematic thing but a bottleneck effect with someone releasing the letters....

Agreed.
 
From my understanding, UCLA committees don't recommend accept/waitlist/reject - they assign a score and admissions determines the cut off point. This is from what was explained to me by a current UCLA student and what was explained to another applicant by their faculty interviewer.



Agreed.


Actually, I spoke with a pretty big researcher there. He said the subcommittee makes recommendations like FutureDoctor said. Thats what he told me in person verbally. Im not saying im right, im just throwing it out there.
 
From my understanding they vote by giving each student a score made up of scores from each person in their reviewing committee (which is based on the individuals in a committee wanting to accept/waitlist/reject a student) and that that score is final, meaning, once you're voted on, nothing you send in is added, and nothing more can change your score (my interviewer explained the process to me). So their waitlist is not only ranked but rigid.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From my understanding they vote by giving each student a score made up of scores from each person in their reviewing committee (which is based on the individuals in a committee wanting to accept/waitlist/reject a student) and that that score is final, meaning, once you're voted on, nothing you send in is added, and nothing more can change your score (my interviewer explained the process to me). So their waitlist is not only ranked but rigid.


This is my understanding.... who knows... maybe we'll all be lucky enough to go to UCLA next year, end up on ADCOM in year 2, and then, only then, will the process be crystal clear...maybe.... 😉

:luck: 😍 dreaming of ucla.... 😍 :luck:
 
What number are you guys calling? Is it x56081? That's the one I found in the directory, but I'm not sure if it's the right one. I'm thinking about calling/walking down to admissions today...but I need some encouragement! 😳 What's the benefit of going there in person, anyway? They're not going to tell you anything different than they would on the phone, right?
 
I second that.

I'm thinking that the Dean won't release decisions until March 15th 👎 👎 👎 👎

hey that's only a month away....so by then (most non-rolling schools would have beat a supposedly rolling admission school- go figure). I'm really hoping for the news next week. All this waiting does a number on my nonexistent productivity 😱
 
What number are you guys calling? Is it x56081? That's the one I found in the directory, but I'm not sure if it's the right one. I'm thinking about calling/walking down to admissions today...but I need some encouragement! 😳 What's the benefit of going there in person, anyway? They're not going to tell you anything different than they would on the phone, right?

a face to face encounter is often an easier way to get a more honest response
 
I think it's listed on page 5 or 6 of this thread? at the bottom of someone's post.... lemme find it real quick

EDIT: Here it is (from page 5):

admiss office phone number:

3108256081

So who here feels like we should switch to a "Happy Feb 15th!" thread as we're now on page 8 of the "Happy Jan 15th!" thread with not a peep?
 
seem to lack the ability to find things...

call the campus operator, and get connected. works the same at any school. but here:

310 825 6081

number of the admis office. keep us updated!
 
I think it's listed on page 5 or 6 of this thread? at the bottom of someone's post.... lemme find it real quick

EDIT: Here it is (from page 5):

admiss office phone number:

3108256081

So who here feels like we should switch to a "Happy Feb 15th!" thread as we're now on page 8 of the "Happy Jan 15th!" thread with not a peep?

:laugh:

Noooooo... I find the fact that we have reached page 8 WITHOUT ANY ACCEPTENCES very amusing.
That being said, a "Happy March 15" post on page 16 of this thread, without any acceptances sent, will not be funny any more... 😡

PhotoGirl, I’m totally with you in this waiting-related nonexistent productivity syndrome. 😉
 
seem to lack the ability to find things...

call the campus operator, and get connected. works the same at any school. but here:

310 825 6081

number of the admis office. keep us updated!

Actually, I looked at UCLA's online directory and found one, but I wanted to confirm it was the correct one. No one answered my question, so I asked again, but without giving the number again. You seem to lack the ability to read my previous post. See:

What number are you guys calling? Is it x56081? That's the one I found in the directory, but I'm not sure if it's the right one.

Sorry if I don't have the time to read through all EIGHT pages of this thread to see if anyone listed a phone number. It's not exactly filled with useful information... 🙄
 
Actually, it would be nice to hear not because we are impatient, but because we have lives and some of us are riding on decisions from David Geffen.

Not knowing is a costly state of affairs, particularly for those still rampantly interviewing.

Oh please, oh please grant us peace UCLA! 👍 :idea: :luck: 😍 🙂 😀 😉 😛 😳 😎

Does anyone know the exact date the first acceptances were released last year? What are the statistics like? How many interviews usually go out and how many acceptances are granted?

Anyone have empirical data? Anyone have non-empirical, subjective, unfounded data? All are welcome.
 
hey that's only a month away....so by then (most non-rolling schools would have beat a supposedly rolling admission school- go figure). I'm really hoping for the news next week. All this waiting does a number on my nonexistent productivity 😱

photo_girl, where are you originally from?
 
Actually, I spoke with a pretty big researcher there. He said the subcommittee makes recommendations like FutureDoctor said. Thats what he told me in person verbally. Im not saying im right, im just throwing it out there.

Agreed. This is the more plausible and currently employed admissions-decisions-making strategy based on what interviewers will suggest. Ranking takes place at Baylor, but I don't think the same holds true at UCLA.
 
I second that.

I'm thinking that the Dean won't release decisions until March 15th 👎 👎 👎 👎

You are thinking incorrectly (or just despairfully).

Before the end of February, status pages for interviewees WILL CHANGE! (I hope.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
main_page.jpg


That's me in the center. :laugh:
 
Agreed. This is the more plausible and currently employed admissions-decisions-making strategy based on what interviewers will suggest. Ranking takes place at Baylor, but I don't think the same holds true at UCLA.

Guys, seriously, enough already! My source is a current ADCOM member - we're given numbers, ranked in a computer & a line is drawn. if you don't believe me, that's fine - let's just give the subject a rest! sheesh 😛

We'll never know 100% until we're accepted to UCLA and become members of the ADCOM - until then, it's all speculation & rumor. Hear what you will, believe what you want 🙂

Now back to waiting....
 
Actually, it would be nice to hear not because we are impatient, but because we have lives and some of us are riding on decisions from David Geffen.

Agreed - if I get into UCLA, I'm going - if not, I'll be choosing from my current options - oh, pretty please, ucla, send us some 😍

Does anyone know the exact date the first acceptances were released last year?

Scratch what I said previously - looks like letters were mailed 2/22/206 & arrived 2/27/06 (this is just based on the 2006 Wall of Fame)

What are the statistics like? How many interviews usually go out and how many acceptances are granted?

Anyone have empirical data? Anyone have non-empirical, subjective, unfounded data? All are welcome.

I believe it's ~600 interviews, with ~200 acceptances for a class of 121... I'll check & get back to you on that though....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.