UCLA ---> Happy Whenever They Feel Like it (a.k.a Jan 15th!!!!~~~~~~~~~ Part 2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine was postmarked the day after the status change.

That probably makes sense. But even mail sent early 3/22 could be postmarked 3/22. So who knows. I think we will never understand what is going on. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

3/22 change. SoCal. No letter on Saturday. I don't know how some 3/22-ers on the east coast got their letters already. Looks like "3/22" has no relation to the date the letter was sent. A mystery indeed...

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume there were no 3/23 status page changes then

from our limited sample it seems that 3/21 is always unranked waitlist (UCLA's version of purgatory)

3/22 is unknown, but seems to hold bad news but not enough people to confirum that it is all good news...however the bad news seems to be damning unlike the 3/21, unranked waitlist decisions.

I have a feeling I won't get a chance to live in CA until residency. :(

Ill go ahead and say what everyone is thinking. GO KANSAS BEAT UCLA TONIGHT.

3/22 change. SoCal. No letter on Saturday. I don't know how some 3/22-ers on the east coast got their letters already. Looks like "3/22" has no relation to the date the letter was sent. A mystery indeed...

There's no way someone on the east coast got the letter already if they had a 3/22 status change. I called admissions yesterday when I found out about my 3/22 status change, and she said the letters had been sent out the day before (which would be 3/22). Now I'm too scared to drive to LA to check my mail, but it doesn't look like there'd be anything in there anyways.

There's no way someone on the east coast got the letter already if they had a 3/22 status change. I called admissions yesterday when I found out about my 3/22 status change, and she said the letters had been sent out the day before (which would be 3/22). Now I'm too scared to drive to LA to check my mail, but it doesn't look like there'd be anything in there anyways.

Doubt Allie is lying or she would had to start her plan months ago and be consistent since then.

I have a feeling that 3/22 decisions will be all over the board. They waited so late that they don't have time to do their cute little waves of decisions anymore.

3/21 status page change. Mail arrived in Northern California. Unranked waitlist. Very sad. Best of luck to you all. This process sucks.

I have a feeling that 3/22 decisions will be all over the board. They waited so late that they don't have time to do their cute little waves of decisions anymore.

then why are all the 3/21 decisions consistently the same? it makes no sense to me, other than that 3/22 decisions are all bad news (worse than 3/21 decisions), and that they are holding off on more acceptances (maybe the class was filled in the first batch, and SDN just has a poor sampling of applicants)

then why are all the 3/21 decisions consistently the same? it makes no sense to me, other than that 3/22 decisions are all bad news (worse than 3/21 decisions), and that they are holding off on more acceptances (maybe the class was filled in the first batch, and SDN just has a poor sampling of applicants)

3/21 letter sent group is 11/11 unranked waitlist, from what I can tell.

Small sample size on 3/22 but either hold or reject. We'll just have to watch and wait to see if this one turns out more of the same, or any acceptances. But it is not looking good for 3/22 people, since the first two batches were pretty consistent (all acceptances on 2/23, all unranked waitlist 3/21). Makes me think all 3/22 are bad news of one sort (almost doomed) or another (completely doomed.)

But most of the speculation here has been wrong, so maybe I'll be wrong as well and join the fun.

for the record, 3/21, still waiting for the letter in the mail.

Small sample size on 3/22 but either hold or reject. We'll just have to watch and wait to see if this one turns out more of the same, or any acceptances. But it is not looking good for 3/22 people, since the first two batches were pretty consistent (all acceptances on 2/23, all unranked waitlist 3/21). Makes me think all 3/22 are bad news of one sort (almost doomed) or another (completely doomed.)

But most of the speculation here has been wrong, so maybe I'll be wrong as well and join the fun.

for the record, 3/21, still waiting for the letter in the mail.

I still refuse to believe that someone in NY with a 3/22 status change could already get the letter. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW...so I was up in a cabin in the remote mountains of North Georgia this weekend, hoping to unplug from the mania of med school admissions this weekend, and here I log on to find that I had a letter sent 3/22 and it appears to be bad news! But if Sweetiepie and QM got it, I don't mind being in their company. :) :luck: to all, and here's to hoping against hope.

I still refuse to believe that someone in NY with a 3/22 status change could already get the letter. :mad:

I didnt think so.

Anyway, I send a LOT of stuff out via different methods, first class, media mail, priority...and let me tell you from personal experience, it is quite random as to when something will arrive. You can have a priority (which is "no guarantee" 2-3 days arrive in a day or a week. Same with media mail, same with first class. All depends on things I have no understanding of. But it does happen.

WOW...so I was up in a cabin in the remote mountains of North Georgia this weekend, hoping to unplug from the mania of med school admissions this weekend, and here I log on to find that I had a letter sent 3/22 and it appears to be bad news! But if Sweetiepie and QM got it, I don't mind being in their company. :) :luck: to all, and here's to hoping against hope.

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

-Alexander Pope,
An Essay on Man, Epistle I, 1733

3/21 unranked waitlist (that's 13 of 13 of us on here on the 3/21 list)

I didnt think so.

Anyway, I send a LOT of stuff out via different methods, first class, media mail, priority...and let me tell you from personal experience, it is quite random as to when something will arrive. You can have a priority (which is "no guarantee" 2-3 days arrive in a day or a week. Same with media mail, same with first class. All depends on things I have no understanding of. But it does happen.

I also send a LOT of stuff out via different methods, both within the US and abroad. Realistically speaking though, if the letters were sent through campus mail which then had to go the post office, there's no way it could make it there before people in SoCal receive it. I guess it doesn't really matter anyways, since the decisions on our apps have already been made. I'm just bummed. :(

I also send a LOT of stuff out via different methods, both within the US and abroad. Realistically speaking though, if the letters were sent through campus mail which then had to go the post office, there's no way it could make it there before people in SoCal receive it. I guess it doesn't really matter anyways, since the decisions on our apps have already been made. I'm just bummed. :(

when are you going to check your mail?

3/22 status change, HOLD (yes in all caps according to the letter) aka second priority waitlist (won't be considered until July), interviewed late November, yay.

Hope it's better news for the rest of you.

^^^ this person is in so Cal and they got the 3/22 status change letter.

when are you going to check your mail?

I'll probably check it tomorrow. I'm in OC right now, so I'd have to drive to LA to pick up my mail...and I don't want to be all shaking and crying if I don't get in while I drive back to OC. :(

does anybody know if UCLA has finished the interview season yet?

^^^ this person is in so Cal and they got the 3/22 status change letter.

But there were more people who didn't receive the letter in SoCal. Also, isn't narc in NY? Why wouldn't he have received his 3/21 letter yet, but someone with a 3/22 change did?

3/21 status change, unranked waitlist. I believe that's 14 for 14 then?

:luck: 3/22-ers and others still waiting!

But there were more people who didn't receive the letter in SoCal. Also, isn't narc in NY? Why wouldn't he have received his 3/21 letter yet, but someone with a 3/22 change did?

I dont know. I live 45 mins from UCLA, I got a status change on 3/21, the letter arrived 3/23. :confused:

Alright, yos, here's what I've got:

3/21 - 27 SDN'rs have reported status changes. 14 have received letters & all received UNRANKED WAITLISTS.

3/22 - 12 SDN'rs have reported status changes. 2 have received letters. 1 was REJECTED, 1 was placed on HOLD.

There appears to be some inconsistency in the order mail was received.
Some 3/21'rs received letters 2 days letter in Southern California.
One 3/22'r received a letter 2 days later in NY. The other 3/22'r received a letter 2 days post status change in Southern California.

That seems to be the results from today. With no mail service on Sunday, we'll continue this on Monday, folks!

Hey all...I've been following this thread for a while and just wanted to join the unranked waitlist club. I got the letter today (OOS East Coast)

Interview: 10/27
Status Change: 3/21
Unranked Waitlist: 3/24

Hey all...I've been following this thread for a while and just wanted to join the unranked waitlist club. I got the letter today (OOS East Coast)

that's the day I interviewed!

I'm so sorry! But it seems to be the best fate this recent group has gotten!

See, this makes me wonder if Allie's 3/22 rejection was mailed out with the 3/21 group?

I'm so sorry! But it seems to be the best fate this recent group has gotten!

See, this makes me wonder if Allie's 3/22 rejection was mailed out with the 3/21 group?

when JennyB gets her mail tomorrow I think things will be clearer...

Looks like it did not. There is no way it could have gotten to the east coast if it was sent 3/22.

I think it's possible. My waitlist letter from Yale was postmarked 3/22 and made its way over to California today. :(

And oh yeah, QM, California really isn't that great. Sure, the weather's nice, but housing is so expensive I'd probably wait until I'm making an actual salary (as opposed to a resident's) before moving over.

3/21 status change, letter in norcal, unranked waitlist

good luck 3/22 people :luck:

And oh yeah, QM, California really isn't that great. Sure, the weather's nice, but housing is so expensive I'd probably wait until I'm making an actual salary (as opposed to a resident's) before moving over.

yeah I guess I should just give up and live in TN for another 10 years. :rolleyes:

remember that life events such as marriage can really **** up such an idealistic plans so that they never come to fruition

there's more to life than money.

Last edited:
I think it's possible. My waitlist letter from Yale was postmarked 3/22 and made its way over to California today. :(

Yeah I think it's totally possible for someone from OOS to get their letter today. I have had two letters sent out to me from the same school in the east coast and one letter I got 2 days after while the other one I got a week later. They were both postmarked on the same day and were same size. Once again the US postal service is inconsistent so it's hard to say.

:luck::luck:double good luck to all the 3/22ers!!!

yeah I guess I should just give up and live in TN for another 10 years. :rolleyes:

remember that life events such as marriage can really **** up such an idealistic plans so that they never come to fruition

there's more to life than money.

Yes, yes, but I'm beginning to get more practical, as I witness my parents being forced to sell their house and move to a cheaper state because my dad lost his job.

Wow.. I posted and went to watch a movie and all this happens?

Well.. I wasn't expecting anything in the mail today, I figure with a 3/22 status change and being on the East coast I'd have to wait till tuesday. So I drove out an hour and a half away to go shopping and didn't get home till 6 when I saw the inevitable.
I can't see the postmark date (I tore the letter open heh), but the letter head itself is dated March 22nd.

Anyone sense the irony of "bad news travels fast" heh..

Anyway, nice knowing you all--sort of. I'm still going to be a doctor, and this definitely makes the decision easy for me, I got in somwhere I simply love-- but Cali tempted me-- heh. Perhaps it's for the best, faith has its ways :)
Good luck to you all, wherever you may end up.

Yes, yes, but I'm beginning to get more practical, as I witness my parents being forced to sell their house and move to a cheaper state because my dad lost his job.

a good point, as a med student money isn't a present issue since you are delegating that responsibility to your future self. if I ever had money problems, I could always move back to the south where physicians are still living more like they did in the 80s. I don't think I'd want to move to a new state when I'm 40 and have a family, however, I'm only 22 and am not bound to anyone or any place, something that I could see changing in the future.

Haha.. got my Yale rejection today too.. 2 for 2. Hence the movie on saturday night.

Haha.. got my Yale rejection today too.. 2 for 2. Hence the movie on saturday night.

aahh, i'm really sorry, allie86, to hear about the stream of bad news today. my status page changed on 3/22, too. i just returned to campus from spring break and was really excited to check my mailbox, but now i'm scared. on the ride back, i was dreaming of a beautiful future as a med student at ucla, but i'll just have to wait and see . . . all the best to everyone with the recent status change. we really are in this together.

3/21 status change. Live in SoCal, minutes from UCLA. Still no letter.

Last edited: