UCONN News, Acceptances, and Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giddyup5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this thread was already created.

But has anyone heard from UConn lately?

I interveiwed there on Dec 17th but i'm not expecting anything for a few more weeks at the earliest.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there Dec 19, and we were told it'd be 6-8 weeks to get the decision...I wouldn't expect anything until late january.

I planned on applying to UConn next year. What type of questions did they ask you during the interview? Most importantly, did they ask about bad grades? :scared: Plus, how many people interview you?

Members don't see this ad :)
3 interviews, about 30 minutes each (assistant dean of admissions, a student, and someone else - likely a faculty member)

It seems they don't ask about bad grades that often. They ask questions about your family. See interview feedback for more details.

3 interviews, about 30 minutes each (assistant dean of admissions, a student, and someone else - likely a faculty member)

It seems they don't ask about bad grades that often. They ask questions about your family. See interview feedback for more details.

"Sigh of relief" Thanks for the info!

I had 3 interviews...dean of admissions, faculty member, and student. There were all pretty laid back interviews, nothing that difficult. However, every interviewer is different and one may feel the need to ask about bad grades. You need to have an answer for that type of question ready anyways, as any interviewer at any school can ask.

i know they met yesterday (tuesday) . Anyone hear any news? or know if they let you know of acceptances through email or snail?

Most certainly an official acceptance letter will be sent, but I think they may call/email you beforehand.

I interviewed on Dec 5. Received a phone call on Dec 12 confirming my acceptance, and a letter a week later. I loved UCONN. Three interviews, which were all laid back. I can't wait for second look weekend in the spring. Good look everyone. Maybe we'll be studying together next fall.

thanks.

man i'm praying i get a phone call soon. The wait is killing me. After the waitlist last year I'd hate to go through all that again.

hey Karen,

hows the app cycle been going for you? Any luck else where? I really hope we both get in. It def is my clear top choice.

does anyone have a number where I can reach SOMEONE in their admissions office?? i was placed on "hold" and I really want to speak to someone. I left a couple messages 2 wks ago, and another one last wk, no one has returned the call :(

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Karen,

hows the app cycle been going for you? Any luck else where? I really hope we both get in. It def is my clear top choice.

I share your hopes :)
Waiting to schedule an interview at Uconn (was told I will interview, but no date yet). I have rejections from NYMC and Temple. Waiting on a few more schools. UCONN is my top choice.
Already planning to reapply next season, while hoping I won't have to. :)
Good to see your posts. :)

I planned on applying to UConn next year. What type of questions did they ask you during the interview? Most importantly, did they ask about bad grades? :scared: Plus, how many people interview you?

Also check out the interview databases on SDN. They are a good resource for getting to know general interview formats of the school.

I interviewed at UConn at the beginning of December and i got a call after the admission meeting last Wednesday. It was about 5 weeks....I think that's pretty standard this year. Good luck all!

Also check out the interview databases on SDN. They are a good resource for getting to know general interview formats of the school.

I interviewed at UConn at the beginning of December and i got a call after the admission meeting last Wednesday. It was about 5 weeks....I think that's pretty standard this year. Good luck all!

congrats. Mind posting your stats?

congrats. Mind posting your stats?

IS, 35 on the MCAT (11PS, 13VR, 11BS), 3.5 gpa/3.3 BCPM, 4.0 masters gpa, good volunteer work, worked through college, 4 year varsity sports. no research exp. I think I interview well. For those of you who have interviews coming up, don't be worried about your stats so much, if you have an interview they don't really care about your stats at that point.

I'm 95% going, i loved it there and i am excited to move back to CT. good luck all.

For those of you who have interviews coming up, don't be worried about your stats so much, if you have an interview they don't really care about your stats at that point.

Actually, that's not true for UCONN, that is they do care about stats. (I spoke to one of the ADCOMS at UCONN about this.) A low MCAT score especially may keep you off the "accepted" list. They won't drill a hole in your stomach over a bad grade or low MCAT section while you're interviewing, and that may give you a false sense of security about stats not being very important, but adcoms at UCONN will consider everything, including numbers, after the interview when they make decisions. It doesn't look like anything YOU needed to worry about since your GPA is fine and your MCAT is really awesome. Congratulations on your acceptance.

Actually, that's not true for UCONN, that is they do care about stats. (I spoke to one of the ADCOMS at UCONN about this.) A low MCAT score especially may keep you off the "accepted" list. They won't drill a hole in your stomach over a bad grade or low MCAT section while you're interviewing, and that may give you a false sense of security about stats not being very important, but adcoms at UCONN will consider everything, including numbers, after the interview when they make decisions. It doesn't look like anything YOU needed to worry about since your GPA is fine and your MCAT is really awesome. Congratulations on your acceptance.

Hey Karen,

You're right. I didn't mean to suggest they don't care *at all.* I guess after my interview when we talked to Dr. Ardonlino (informal), it sounded like the interview counted for a lot, GPA and ECs and then MCAT. I'm sure there are different considerations for each applicant. I definitely had a few questionable grades that I felt the need to do a master's to make up for. My interviewer definitely DID bring those up...I guess Dr. Ardolino did a good job of taking away from my stress rather than adding to it.

agreed

at many schools after you get a interview everyone is in the same boat and jugded evenly. At UConn, even after the interview every part of your application is looked at again.

Their process from my understanding is as follows

everyone who interviews you writes up a brief evaluation. Than 3-4 people review your file on the comittee. If everyone agrees ( accpetance/waitlist/rejection) than they move on to the next case.

If one person disagrees than the application is brought to the whole comittee who all vote. Therefore, getting a interview does mean your qualified, but numbers still matter throughout the application season and through the waitlist.

agreed

at many schools after you get a interview everyone is in the same boat and jugded evenly. At UConn, even after the interview every part of your application is looked at again.

Their process from my understanding is as follows

everyone who interviews you writes up a brief evaluation. Than 3-4 people review your file on the comittee. If everyone agrees ( accpetance/waitlist/rejection) than they move on to the next case.

If one person disagrees than the application is brought to the whole comittee who all vote. Therefore, getting a interview does mean your qualified, but numbers still matter throughout the application season and through the waitlist.

Hi Giddyup!

Is what you wrote about the process (how the adcoms meet and vote) based on an information from the source or are you sort of guessing? I am really interested in how things work over there. Thanks.

Hi Giddyup!

Is what you wrote about the process (how the adcoms meet and vote) based on an information from the source or are you sort of guessing? I am really interested in how things work over there. Thanks.

it is what Dr. Ardolino said during the interview. Also, i asked a couple of student interviewers after and they believed it was a similar process.

Thanks.
Do you know how many people sit on the admissions committee?

Also, when you had your interview this season, was there any talk specifically about last year's cycle? Were all your interviewers different than last year? Any changes to your overall impression of the place?

As far as i know there are 12 people that vote on the applicant at uconn ... might be 16 tho ... i am positive that you need at least 2/3s to be accepted ... not sure how they decide the waitlist but i know a kid who got into uconn late july of the list ... Sanford runs the show ... ardelino has no vote.

Thanks.
Do you know how many people sit on the admissions committee?

Also, when you had your interview this season, was there any talk specifically about last year's cycle? Were all your interviewers different than last year? Any changes to your overall impression of the place?

good question cause i wish someone told me this before hand.

They clearly were aware that i applied last year. With my faculty interview it was very similar to last years interview. Generic interview questions. With Dr. Sanford it was literally like this. I came in and sat down. And he basically asked. " So what have you been up to since we last talked?"

soo with Dr. Sanford it was what have you done to improve your application since last year. Didn't ask me anything specific from my primary or secondary application just what have I done since we last talked (i met with him over the summer when i was on the waitlist soo it was even a shorter time frame since we last talked).

There were no questions like ..Why uconn...What makes you a good fit here? My faculty interviewer did ask me why in MY opinion i didn't get in last year.

I believe there are between 20-30 people on the admissions comittee. I cant remember exactly but I think 22ish

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate your responses greatly!!

Has anyone else who interviewed in early December still waiting to hear from UCONN?

I have been trying to contact them, but they never answer the phone or respond to emails . . .

UConn's admissions office is a joke. They preferentially favor women and minorities. I was told by the dean directly to my face, after telling him my GPA and MCAT scores, "It's unfortunate that you are a white male." They act like they care about the interview but they don't at all. Dr. Ardolino also said at my interview there a couple years ago that they look for the ratio we had on interview day (there were 5 people there and I was the only male). Doctors at St. Francis Hospital and Hartford Hospital are also constantly complaining about how unimpressive the UConn students have been and how the quality of students has been degrading over the past 10 years. They need to get rid of everyone in that admissions office and start from scratch.

UConn's admissions office is a joke. They preferentially favor women and minorities. I was told by the dean directly to my face, after telling him my GPA and MCAT scores, "It's unfortunate that you are a white male." They act like they care about the interview but they don't at all. Dr. Ardolino also said at my interview there a couple years ago that they look for the ratio we had on interview day (there were 5 people there and I was the only male). Doctors at St. Francis Hospital and Hartford Hospital are also constantly complaining about how unimpressive the UConn students have been and how the quality of students has been degrading over the past 10 years. They need to get rid of everyone in that admissions office and start from scratch.

It's too bad that you're not a student there. I mean, you sound like just the type of white male I'd love to marry for money. i mean, that's the only reason I'm going to med school...(they do hand MRS degrees there, right?) Man, I'm going to reevaluate my choice in schools to make sure there are more rude and irrelevant jerks where I matriculate in the fall.

I remember being told by Ardolino that the unbalanced gender ratio is because female applicants tend to be better qualified. True? I don't know.

As far as the quality of education at UConn, I have heard quite a few positive remarks from several different experienced physicians. One said that he was against the PBL system Uconn uses because, in his words, "students are wasting time on it, etc (...) but surprisingly, they do very well when I meet them as residents in my program" (he said something like that). Anyway, I have not yet heard bad things about the quality of the students.

I did hear quite a few negative comments about the school in general because of its financial difficulties. Supposedly there was a time when they almost lost accreditation because of that. Right now, the Health Center struggles financially and its problems are blamed on the inefficient, deficit-producing John Dempsey hospital, which they wanted to expand, but will not. Ultimately, they may have to close the hospital down completely. I don't think it would have huge implications as far as the med school goes since most clinical rotations are done elsewhere anyway.

It's too bad that you're not a student there. I mean, you sound like just the type of white male I'd love to marry for money. i mean, that's the only reason I'm going to med school...(they do hand MRS degrees there, right?) Man, I'm going to reevaluate my choice in schools to make sure there are more rude and irrelevant jerks where I matriculate in the fall.

I think that VPDCurt is understandably frustrated because the system does seem a little unfair. Whether it really is, I don't know, but there was a similar thread about the unbalanced ratio and reasons for it last year.

im pretty sure the admissions comittee is meeting tonight. Hopefully some of us get some good news tommorow! For those that were accpeted already, can you remember how they notified you? Was it by phone call? on Wednesday? Thanks.

i'm pretty sure the admissions comittee is meeting tonight. Hopefully some of us get some good news tommorow! For those that were accpeted already, can you remember how they notified you? Was it by phone call? on Wednesday? Thanks.

I got a phone call Tuesday night and a (thin) envelope a few days later. I don't think they call everyone though because my friend also got accepted and only got the letter so don't lose hope if you don't get a call tonight or tomorrow. They send the letter to your "home" address from your AMCAS.

anyone know if UConn is still inviting people for inteviews? haven't heard a peep other than being put on hold since October :sleep:

anyone know if UConn is still inviting people for inteviews? haven't heard a peep other than being put on hold since October :sleep:

I don't know about inviting to interviews, but I do know that there are interviews still to be scheduled for later months. If I'm not mistaken January 15 was the deadline for supplemental materials and UCONN supposedly doesn't penalize late applicants, so it looks like they still have applications to review and make decisions. I am also pretty sure (based on last year's threads) that they have some late interviews (late spring, early summer) for people in their special PosBac program, which probably doesn't apply to anyone here.
Being placed on hold probably means that for whatever reason you may not be the best "fit" for the school. You could be overqualified and they may doubt you would actually attend if accepted. Anyway, good luck to us all!

im pretty sure the admissions comittee is meeting tonight. Hopefully some of us get some good news tommorow! For those that were accpeted already, can you remember how they notified you? Was it by phone call? on Wednesday? Thanks.

I am "spying" on your case.... We've been on this path for too long already. Good luck to you, good luck to me.

This kid is an idiot.

1) I am a white male (and out of state) who not only got in, but got a scholarship.

2) I am involved in admissions. We get more females to attend. I don't know why. Perhaps it is due to our (incorrect) reputation as a "primary care" school. I don't know.

3) UConn's reputation is awesome. Go ask residency program directors. I applied in Peds and got 12 out of 12 interviews including CHOP and Boston Children's (2 of the most competitive programs in the country) and was told at all how they love UConn students for their clinical prowess and bed-side manner in addition to their wealth of medical knowledge (until this year UConn had one the "medial school bowl" like 5 years in a row).

I believe I have had this argument with this kid before. He is just jealous because he is a sub-par applicant, and it is easier for him to defame UConn and say it is gender based affirmative action, than it is to examine his own short-comings.

We also have a really stringent interview process at UConn that tries to identify students who would do well at UConn. Clearly it works if VPDCurt didn't get in. I mean we don't want people with such negative, close minded ignorant views.

Please tell me where you end up practicing medicine VPDCurt. I will move as far away as possible.

I'm glad to see a post defending UCONN. I feel like I will end up there eventually and don't want to see my future school attacked just like that. I didn't believe any of the bad things really, but it's nice to see a response.

yeah i got a call from one of my interviewers yesterday night. then i called my parents. lol.

no phone call for me...looks like the waitlist again! grr this is soo frustrating. I am just hoping and praying that i get ranked high on their waitlist.

Since i found out early august that I will not have a chance to get of their waitlist last year I did and used all my opportunities to improve my application. It was too late to retake the mcats but i have improved my GPA and greatly improved my clinical exposure. Plus i am working at the health center right now as a Genetic Tech. I hope it is enough but im just getting soo frustrated. I really dont know what they want and am just confused.

no phone call for me...looks like the waitlist again! grr this is soo frustrating. I am just hoping and praying that i get ranked high on their waitlist.

Since i found out early august that I will not have a chance to get of their waitlist last year I did and used all my opportunities to improve my application. It was too late to retake the mcats but i have improved my GPA and greatly improved my clinical exposure. Plus i am working at the health center right now as a Genetic Tech. I hope it is enough but im just getting soo frustrated. I really dont know what they want and am just confused.

Don't lose hope yet! When did you interview? I know that there are people from my interview date that got accepted 3 weeks before I got my call...They don't always work linearly...:luck:

my last bump

Karen. Are you an applicant? Already accepted? You seem really invested in UConn.

Feel free to private message me if you have any questions about UConn.

(BTW I am a fourth year there)

im interviewing at uconn tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.