UConn vs Jeff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School?

• Total voters

catie_jane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I posted this a few weeks ago but figured I would repost a shorter version now that I have gone to second looks at both schools and received financial aid packages for both schools.

After receiving financial aid packages/securing living situation the COA between Jeff and UConn is only about $4,000 if I calculated correctly (but probably less since I live frugally)

JEFFERSON

PROS

1. Community Service Opportunities
JeffHOPE – student-run volunteer clinic, 5x days a week (homeless shelters)
Refugee Health Partners – multiple opportunities including student-run clinic, education classes, and health fairs
Adopt-A-Mom – partner with expecting mothers from the JOGA Clinic through prenatal care to labor and delivery
JeffYES – adolescent outreach program for urban youth in homeless shelters

2. Research Opportunities

Formal 9-week summer research program
College within a College (CwiC) – “Clinical and Translational Research Track”

3. Clinical Sites

multitude of clinical rotation sites in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware
sites that vary from level one trauma centers to rural community hospitals
many more sites for rotation compared to UConn

4. Curriculum
H/P/F grading scheme (H>90%, P>70%) pre-clinical
H/P/F grading scheme for clinical rotations
Basic lecture model with small-group based discussions incorporated in
Small groups (PBL, TBL)
Basic 24 month pre-clinical curriculum

5. Location (living in the city)
feel like Philly is a great place for a student to live
CHEAP cost of living that is close to the school

6. Free fitness center (with pool! +++)

7. Early clinical exposure
Multiple community service opportunities that allow for patient care as early as M1 (JeffHOPE, Refugee Health, etc.
Introduction to Clinical Medicine I and II during M1 and M2
Foundations of Clinical Medicine (FCM) and Physical Diagnosis during M2

8. Reputation?
Jefferson students well-known to residency directors

9. Clinical Rotation grades not based on SHELF Exam scores!
seem to have a larger variety of rotations available for students

10. Match Lists (2015 and 2016)
Lots of PA matches (although there are a lot of PA hospital systems with the Philly Triplets and Penn State)
Saw matches in both CT and MA
Variety of specialties along with matches into competitive specialties

11. “Vibe”
Throughout the whole cycle, I had my best experience with Jefferson
Really get the feeling that Jefferson cares deeply for their students and are very involved despite the class size

CONS

1. Slightly higher tuition
Tuition = $54,000
Fees = $870
COL = $2,800 [rent is about $210 per month] (able to find amazing housing "co-op" with M1-M4 that is about 1x block from campus and includes books, beer, utilities, other household amenities, textbooks, and invaluable advice from all the students that live there)
SCHOLARSHIP = $5,500

COA = $52,170 (approximately)

2. Far away from support system (3.5-4 hour train ride to CT)
3. H/P/F compared to P/F at UConn
4. 24 month vs 18 month pre-clinical curriculum

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UCONN

PROS

1. Community Service Opportunities
Covenant House Medical Clinical in Willimantic, CT
Free clinic run by medical, pharmacy, and dental students
Get to visit hometown 1x a month

Multiple other opportunities

2. In-State Tuition
Tuition = $30,010
Fees = $5,609
Living expenses = ~$20,000
SCHOLARSHIP - approximately $12,000 per year

COA = $48,000

3. Close to support system (family in CT; boyfriend in MA)

4. M Delta Curriculum

TBL without any lectures; however previous lectures are recorded and availabe online
P/F grading scheme for pre-clinical
"LEAP" periods after exams (2x weeks) that you can use to remediate the test if needed OR meet with your advisor and spend 5 days on electives and have 2 days of vacations
HH/H/P/F for clinical rotations (shelf exams incorporated)
Clinical simulation center
Virtual laboratory to complement the gross anatomy lab (early introduction to CT, MRI, and Ultrasound)

5. Research Opportunities
Summer Research Program
5th Year Enrichment Programs
MS in Clinical and Translational Research

6. Electives available during pre-clinical years
Intro to Emergency Medicine; Radiology imaging
Topics in Advanced Immunology

7. Clinical Sites (not as many as Jefferson)
*"home institution" is not a level 1 trauma*
Hartford Hospital
Level 1 Trauma Center
CT Children’s Hospital
Region’s only full-service pediatric care facility
Hospital of Central Connecticut
John Dempsey Hospital at UCONN Health

CONS
1. 1st class to undergo the new Delta M curriculum (SCARY)

I really do like the idea behind this curriculum and believe that I would do well in this time of environment but would feel more comfortable if the curriculum had already been in place for 1-2 years prior
2. All TBL without lectures?
3. Not a major city/rural area
4. Less sites to rotate through

Members don't see this ad.

don't understand COL in Philly, understand the cheap rent, but will you eat too?

do you have a deposit in at coop? could it fill up before you commit?

Sorry, I should have been more clear but I didn't think anyone wanted to know the specifics. I have a 529 account that I have to use in med school with just about $10,000 which should cover either rent for 4 years or my food/misc for 4 years. So I am only considering rent at this point for COL (assuming I'm using the 529 money for food/going out/misc)

And yes, the place in the house is mine for the next 4 years if I matriculate at Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, Jefferson is an easy choice, but that is because I am drooling over those volunteer opportunities and love the CWIC tracks. I don't think 4k/year is enough to worry about, but more frugal SDNers will think differently.

Considering schools, location, money, I would absolutely pick Jeff. But have no way of knowing how important in person family and bf contact is to your happiness. Personally I am currently in a gap year 1k miles from home, and going to med school 800 miles from home. FaceTime with family all the time, but it's nothing like going home, sleeping in my own bed with my dog:)

Considering schools, location, money, I would absolutely pick Jeff. But have no way of knowing how important in person family and bf contact is to your happiness. Personally I am currently in a gap year 1k miles from home, and going to med school 800 miles from home. FaceTime with family all the time, but it's nothing like going home, sleeping in my own bed with my dog:)

I moved out from home during undergrad so I consider myself a pretty independent person, but who knows if that'll change in med school. However, I did just google maps the distance and it's only a 3 hour 50 minute drive from my mom to philly which is much shorter than I was imagining!

Reactions: 1 user
For me, Jefferson is an easy choice, but that is because I am drooling over those volunteer opportunities and love the CWIC tracks. I don't think 4k/year is enough to worry about, but more frugal SDNers will think differently.

I know, I love both of those aspects as well! Not to mention living in Philly would be amazing as a student!

Just throwing this out there, Philly and CT aren't that far away from each other. It seems like you already made your decision, good luck and congrats!

Come to Jeff!!! You seem pretty sold on the school and though being close to your support system sounds quite important to you, a 3-4 hour train ride isn't that bad (maybe try meeting at a halfway point?). @catie_jane can you tell me more about this co-op via pm? Did you find out about it during second look? Sounds like you mayb have nabbed the only spot, but I'm interested in learning more about student groups like this.

Jefferson! You will create a smaller, tight-knit support system wherever you go! Also, that train ride could be prime study-time when you need to return home :)

Come to Jeff!!! You seem pretty sold on the school and though being close to your support system sounds quite important to you, a 3-4 hour train ride isn't that bad (maybe try meeting at a halfway point?). @catie_jane can you tell me more about this co-op via pm? Did you find out about it during second look? Sounds like you mayb have nabbed the only spot, but I'm interested in learning more about student groups like this.

The traveling is definitely much shorter than I imagined and the train is pretty cheap/would be able to have my car down there if I wanted!

I will PM you now

Jefferson! You will create a smaller, tight-knit support system wherever you go! Also, that train ride could be prime study-time when you need to return home :)

Living in Boston with my family in NJ, I can definitely vouch for this.

Living in Boston with my family in NJ, I can definitely vouch for this.

I actually love riding the train too. The T system in boston is my favorite (my friends think I'm weird) haha but I never thought about it as study time since I'm currently out of school but that is a good point!

I actually love riding the train too. The T system in boston is my favorite (my friends think I'm weird) haha but I never thought about it as study time since I'm currently out of school but that is a good point!

The T is a nightmare :mad:

Amtrak is actually quite nice though!

The T is a nightmare :mad:

Amtrak is actually quite nice though!

I only take it for leisure purposes (like going out on the weekends) not commuting so I am sure I have a different perspective than most!

I only take it for leisure purposes (like going out on the weekends) not commuting so I am sure I have a different perspective than most!

The only nice thing about commuting on the MBTA is that it is so well known how ****ed it is that no one's boss ever gives them grief about being late in the morning. "It was raining so I left 20 minutes earlier than normal but I'm still 30 minutes late..." "Me too."

The only nice thing about commuting on the MBTA is that it is so well known how ****ed it is that no one's boss ever gives them grief about being late in the morning. "It was raining so I left 20 minutes earlier than normal but I'm still 30 minutes late..." "Me too."

That is so true :laugh:

I wondering if anyone has had any luck emailing schools with specific numbers and seeing if they can match scholarships you get from another school?

I sent a polite email to Jeff to see if they would match the scholarship UConn gave me but don't have much hope.. Haha

I don't think Jeff scholarship-matches but I doubt it would hurt you.

I don't think Jeff scholarship-matches but I doubt it would hurt you.

That's what I figured, so I went for it haha

Are you definitely attending Jeff or are you waiting for waitlist movement at other schools?