UCONN vs RUSH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookies1212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to both schools. I got pulled off the waitlist at UCONN recently and now have a tough choice. UCONN is about 1 hour from my house, Rush is a 2 hour flight. I'm excited to move to chicago and start new there, but also worried that i'll get home sick. Which school is better?

Uconn is changing curriculum, and the incoming class will be the first to go thru it. Uconn is only a little bit cheaper, nothing significant. Uconn has an awesome reputation and great facilities, and a new med school building. Rush is awesome, but I feel like it't reputation isn't as good as Uconn's. They do have cook county, arguably one of the best places to rotate thru as a med student. They are also huge on community service and have a lot of student run clinics. Also uconn is in the middle of nowhere and rush is in the heart of chicago. I'm interested in pediatrics, orthopedics, anesthesiology as of now but really open to anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

How much money do you save at UConn?

I lean towards moving almost regardless, because no one should spend their entire life on 1 tiny speck of the Earth.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had the choice to avoid Chicago winters, I would.

How much money do you save at UConn?

I lean towards moving almost regardless, because no one should spend their entire life on 1 tiny speck of the Earth.
at the end of 4 years I save about 40k at uconn, which in the long run isn't that much if rush prepares me better for a competitive residency

Did you get a better "feel" at one of the schools? 40k with interest is not insignificant either, so you may want to contact Rush's office of financial aid and see if they can match or at least offer lower interest institutional loans.

Also, consider your support network and how much you rely on them. If you think you'll be really homesick without support in Chicago that's something to consider.

On the other hand, if you've been in CT your entire life it would be nice to have a new experience! Reputation wise UCONN is slightly better with a better match list but Rush has a great orthopedics center. I can't give you an answer other than follow your gut!

Did you get a better "feel" at one of the schools? 40k with interest is not insignificant either, so you may want to contact Rush's office of financial aid and see if they can match or at least offer lower interest institutional loans.

Also, consider your support network and how much you rely on them. If you think you'll be really homesick without support in Chicago that's something to consider.

On the other hand, if you've been in CT your entire life it would be nice to have a new experience! Reputation wise UCONN is slightly better with a better match list but Rush has a great orthopedics center. I can't give you an answer other than follow your gut!
Thanks! I don't know if UCONN actually has a better match list than Rush??? I will try to talk to Rush to see if they can help me in the finance dept.

Not sure if you saw this.

Here's a pro/con list I made on another post for Rush.

Pros:
  1. Amazing clinical rotation sites. Cook County = crazy diverse population and you will have an amazing EM/surgery rotation. Rush Medical Center = Basically brand new hospital, with Midwest Ortho ranked sixth in the US. Clinical rotation sites are also next to each other. No driving to distant hospitals for rotations. You can get everywhere without stepping outside due to a complex system of sky bridges.

2. Students are pretty darn happy with lots of step 1 prep time and recorded lectures.

3. Besides the weather, Chicago is an awesome city. It has the soul a vibrant and cultured big city without the ticket price. Rents are affordable and you have great culture.

4. Solid Match list every year and has a reputation for great clinical training

5. Community service focus. The lady who runs their community outreach is amazing and she pushes the student body to do cool stuff for the community. M1s can do awesome stuff in underserved areas within the first two months at school. For example, M1s triage pts at a health drive on the South side in October.

6. Reputation for matriculating cool people

7. Cool areas to live in within a reasonable distance from school. WP, Logan square, Bucktown, West Loop, Little Italy

8. Systems based Curriculum with physicianship program

9. Undergoing a big expansion, so Rush will be even better in the future. New $500 million outpatient center (damn).

10. Great Global Health opportunities. Trips to Haiti, DR, and Belize

11. Good Research culture, students can cold call professors for research on the reg.

12. Summers in Chicago are amazing, which includes Lollapalooza.

13. Deep dish pizza

14. The Cubs and Wrigley Field

15. Lake Michigan, Grant Park, and the over 16 miles of Lakefront running paths.

16. Good public transit. The L train runs right by Rush, connecting you with lots of good neighborhoods.
Cons:
  1. Not P/F

2. Knocking down student housing.

3. $$$$$ - The cost difference between UIC and Rush is NOT huge. UIC charges charges $11,000 extra tution for M3 and M4 summers.

4. Weather

5. I wish it had more NIH $$$

6. Not the best facilities. But I hear they are working on that.

Reactions: 1 user