UCSF Interviews!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hot diggity, I'm in, I just got my acceptance letter on Saturday! I'm still sort of in shock as I too just assumed all the acceptance letters had been sent out already since April 6 was the supposed notify by date but it's all hearsay, I tell you!! For those still unfortunately waiting to hear, my letter was printed March 25, postmarked the 26th and received the 29th. (I'm in Seattle, WA) . . . and like stkyrice said, I'm given 2 weeks from the date the letter was printed to decide. Oh and if it matters, I did not apply to UCSD.

Members don't see this ad.

i also received my acceptance letter on saturday, and i had really lost all hope bc i received it at the end of march.

but for those of you still waiting... dont lose hope... i'm still shocked i was accepted!

hey everyone,

so for the 14 day thing, it turns out that UCSF used the wrong template when they mailed the acceptance letters (-.-) if you dont believe me you can contact them to confirm if you need more time in making a decision
the 14 day limit makes no sense for those that get their letters early march..so i'll end with this quote to assure you guys that the deadline is not 2 weeks

"to guarantee your position in the UCSF class, we will need a confirmation from you as soon as possible (and no later than 4:00 pm PDT on April 11, 2008"

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my UCSD acceptance said April 11th....and said that they set this date along wtih UCSF so everyone could make their decision after receiving descisions from both schools. So the dates are the same!!

Hmm...actually I only was allowed 2 weeks to respond to UCSF, because on the last day of the 2 weeks, they actually called me to remind me to make my decision already.

For UCSD, you have until the 11th like the letter says, but for UCSF, I'm sure it depends on the 2 weeks if the letter says so...unless it changes since we're already reaching the month of April.

BTW, anyone having/had trouble choosing between UCSD or UCSF?

I had a little trouble choosing UCSD over UCSF...but just a little. I keep thinking that I am stupid for turning down the most "prestigous school in the nation" as stated in the UCSF acceptance letter. lol

but I fell in love with UCSD...great program taken jointly with med students, great location, and closer to home for me :) i dont like the busy busy city of san francisco too much. plus i don't want to sell my car !! I feel that UCSD will be a very prestigous school in the years to come, it is just fairly new right now so people are thinking I'm crazy for turning down UCSF! It is very hard to get into UCSD and I am honored to be 1 of 60.

Got My Letter Of Acceptance Today, But Most Likely Going To Usn So That Means One More Open Spot For Wait Listers---good Luck

So I talked to the admissions coordinator (who apparently knows who I am since he--and a lot of the other admissions staff at UCSF--read SDN also :eek:) and we had a good conversation about my application, and being waitlisted. He also profusely apologized and was genuinely shocked that I didn't make the cut, but I told him not to apologize since he had no real control over who gets in. He also said that the competition was extremely intense this year compared to others since they had invited 80 more people this year than years prior.

So in the course of the conversation, I did what you're not supposed to do--and asked him what my chances were from getting off the waitlist. He said that over the past 5-6 years, there have been no real definite trends on waitlisters being moved to being accepted, so he couldn't really say what my chances were *sigh*. But he genuinely seemed like he really wanted to help me out and make it next year on the chance that I don't make it.

He also said that UCSF and UCSD compare lists on who gets accepted in order to coordinate...but also that UCSF had started sending out their decision letters a week later than they had expected, which explains why so many people who got into UCSD still don't know about UCSF. He also seemed surprised about the people who got accepted to UCSD and who weren't even considered for UCSF, and vice versa. (I'm also assuming that since what he told me over the phone wasn't prefaced with "don't tell anybody else..." , I'm going to go ahead and put it out there.)

Hopefully those of you who are still waiting from UCSF will find out soon.

I finally got my letter! It's a waitlist, but that's better than a rejection, right? So this may be a dumb question, but I have been accepted at UCSD...I can accept my offer at UCSD and still hold my waitlist spot at UCSF, right? I know they coordinate lists for acceptances to both, but I would hope UCSF wouldn't make me give up my acceptance to UCSD just on the chance that I get in to UCSF.

So I am pleased to say that my letter finally came on saturday.
I did not get a rejection as I was expecting, but on the otherhand I did not get an acceptance letter as I was hoping for. Instead I was waitlisted. I am optomistic though seeing as how six people on sdn alone have already declined their offers. Unless I am mistaken, shouldn't this mean that my position on the waitlist has moved up by six spots? If anyone knows how the process works I (and I am sure others) would appreciate it if you could share your insight with us. Thank you!

Scary how just like that - this thread disappears. Anyone else hear back recently?

Well, the first update won't happen till mid-May, so people won't be hearing anything before then--or shouldn't anyway.