UF c/o 2014... It Begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,
I'm planning to apply to University of Florida next year. I'm from CA. Are there lots of out of state applicants? I want to know if I have a chance. I have a 3.5 GPA (haven't taken PCAT yet). Even though that's not bad, I'm afraid that all the OOS applicants are higher than mine such as 3.7-3.9.
And once you get an interview, you have a real high chance of getting in right? (According to the stats, 320 accepted/330 interviewed last year).

They give preference to Florida students, but if you have a 3.6+ GPA and 90+ PCAT then you match their "competitive" range for out of state. It seems like people are saying this year is less competitive for whatever reason, so I'm guessing if you bring your GPA up a tad bit and ace the PCAT you should definitely give it a shot. The worst you can do is try right? UF has an affordable supplemental application anyway, so it's not like it's a big dent in your wallet. That said... I think last year they accepted 6 out of state? But that might be because not a lot of them apply, or have the highest stats.

On another note: Does anyone know if St Pete has interviewed a first batch of applicants yet? I applied mid-January so I know it's going to be a while until I hear anything, but I'm confused about March 3rd being the first interview date or the second?

Members don't see this ad.

CMgator10,yup its me!! haha. Congrats to you too! im super excited for us! i wouldnt say 100% but its like 92% and on the rise lmao.

For those of you who have just been accepted.... For One: Congrats!!!
2. Do you mind sharing your stats? I am waiting to hear something/anything from them, and I think I am slowly dying! I just want to know if my stats are similar?
GPA- 3.96
PCAT- 85
tech in Pharmacy for 10 months
I honestly dont have much volunteering just some church day care, secretary of pharmacy club. (I am worried lacking in this area might hurt me).

Members don't see this ad :)
2. Do you mind sharing your stats? I am waiting to hear something/anything from them, and I think I am slowly dying! I just want to know if my stats are similar?
GPA- 3.96
PCAT- 85
I honestly dont have much volunteering just some church day care, secretary of pharmacy club. (I am worried lacking in this area might hurt me).

Your stats are great. Mine are: 3.61 GPA, 3.69 Science GPA, 86 PCAT, I'm in a few clubs but really not volunteering either, a few years of healthcare experiance but none in pharmacy apart from shadowing a pharmacist. And I finished my application on 12/26.

GPA- 3.96
PCAT- 85

I have a 3.55 science GPA here at UF and a 87 PCAT, I shadowed a pharmacist for one summer, I'm in a coed fraternity, and I did research with one of my professors. Your gpa and pcat are pretty strong ... When did you send in you app? May be they haven't had a chance to review it yet.

CMgator10,yup its me!! haha. Congrats to you too! im super excited for us! i wouldnt say 100% but its like 92% and on the rise lmao.

Lol well I hope you decide to come to UF!

On another note: Does anyone know if St Pete has interviewed a first batch of applicants yet? I applied mid-January so I know it's going to be a while until I hear anything, but I'm confused about March 3rd being the first interview date or the second?

The way UF does interviews is a little weird. This past interview session, January 29th at Gainesville, was the first interview date and they interviewed students who will be going to each of the distance campuses as well as Gainesville. All other interview dates after that are campus specific, meaning the March 3rd interview at Gainesville will only be for students who got selected to attend the Gainesville campus. -- The first St. Pete specific interview will be on March 22nd, held at the St. Pete campus. There will be another St. Pete specific interview session some time in April as well.

Hope that helps.

They give preference to Florida students, but if you have a 3.6+ GPA and 90+ PCAT then you match their "competitive" range for out of state. It seems like people are saying this year is less competitive for whatever reason, so I'm guessing if you bring your GPA up a tad bit and ace the PCAT you should definitely give it a shot. The worst you can do is try right? UF has an affordable supplemental application anyway, so it's not like it's a big dent in your wallet. That said... I think last year they accepted 6 out of state? But that might be because not a lot of them apply, or have the highest stats.

I think it's technically the second interview because there were a few people from st. Pete at my interview last week but we all interviewed in Gainesville so they didn't have to inconvenience the distance campuses with just a few people.

I got accepted to the Orlando campus!

Wooohoo! I love hearing about all of these Orlando students! Congratulations on getting accepted! Have you decided which school you plan on attending?

congrats to my fellow orlando campus classmates! lets make the best of this soon to be crazy experience!

I think it's technically the second interview because there were a few people from st. Pete at my interview last week but we all interviewed in Gainesville so they didn't have to inconvenience the distance campuses with just a few people.

Oh okay... I was so confused as to why only Gainesville and Orlando students/applicants have been posting. It seems like no one from St Pete or Jacksonville uses SDN. LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay... I was so confused as to why only Gainesville and Orlando students/applicants have been posting. It seems like no one from St Pete or Jacksonville uses SDN. LOL

Well at our interview I think there were AT most 4-5 students from st pete. Hardly any so maybe those few don't use sdn? And I think there was only 1 maybe 2 jax students. The rest were Gainesville and Orlando.

and for the person asking for stats my GPA was 3.55, PCAT was 97. I think very good LORs. Shadowed a pharmacist but not much direct experience. I did one semester of research. Lots of extracurriculars and volunteer work.

Well at our interview I think there were AT most 4-5 students from st pete. Hardly any so maybe those few don't use sdn? And I think there was only 1 maybe 2 jax students. The rest were Gainesville and Orlando.

and for the person asking for stats my GPA was 3.55, PCAT was 97. I think very good LORs. Shadowed a pharmacist but not much direct experience. I did one semester of research. Lots of extracurriculars and volunteer work.

Thanks! That makes sense... :D

DO YOU GO TO UM???!!!

I graduated last May! LOL

I feel like I'm the only pre-pharm from there on SDN!

I have a 3.55 science GPA here at UF and a 87 PCAT, I shadowed a pharmacist for one summer, I'm in a coed fraternity, and I did research with one of my professors. Your gpa and pcat are pretty strong ... When did you send in you app? May be they haven't had a chance to review it yet.

They received the completed application (from Pharmcas) as of Jan 29th. I know I have not given them enough time, but I wanted to see if I was in the ball game with you guys. Everyones stats sound great so far!

They received the completed application (from Pharmcas) as of Jan 29th. I know I have not given them enough time, but I wanted to see if I was in the ball game with you guys. Everyones stats sound great so far!

I wouldn't worry... My application wasn't finished until a little before yours and you have a better GPA than I do. My PCAT is high, but my GPA is lower because I made too many C's my junior year (long story). They were in upper level classes mostly that aren't required for pre-reqs so I'm hoping that doesn't hurt me too much, but everyone else has really great GPAs so I can't really compete with that. LOL

I think as long as you keep above a 3.0 and you have a bachelor's degree that helps too. Good Luck! :D

I wouldn't worry... My application wasn't finished until a little before yours and you have a better GPA than I do. My PCAT is high, but my GPA is lower because I made too many C's my junior year (long story). They were in upper level classes mostly that aren't required for pre-reqs so I'm hoping that doesn't hurt me too much, but everyone else has really great GPAs so I can't really compete with that. LOL

I think as long as you keep above a 3.0 and you have a bachelor's degree that helps too. Good Luck! :D

Yeah at our interview they asked us who has their bachelor's/will have their bachelor's degree and almost everyone raised their hand.

Yeah at our interview they asked us who has their bachelor's/will have their bachelor's degree and almost everyone raised their hand.
Well... now you just pointed out another worry of mine. I dont have a bachelor's degree and I did not plan of getting one unless I dont get in to Pharmacy school this year. I didnt realize that many would have one.

Well... now you just pointed out another worry of mine. I dont have a bachelor's degree and I did not plan of getting one unless I dont get in to Pharmacy school this year. I didnt realize that many would have one.

It's not a big deal but some schools weigh more heavily on it than others. If you have a good application I wouldn't worry, but it won't hurt to stay and finish it up if you happen to not get in. I don't think UF is majorly concerned with having a degree, but if there are similar applicants with the same exact credentials than it becomes a dividing factor. You are in the best situation actually because you still have a chance to get in somewhere this year, but if not, then you still have time left to finish school. Me on the other hand... I am in grad school already for my MBA so I would like to hurry up and get into pharmacy school already! LOL

I don't think you have too much to worry about if you don't have your Bachelors. There are plenty of students who only received their AA (only completed the pre-reqs) who got in, myself included.

coral407, just requested to join the group! let me in lol

yeah i go to UM! I'll graduate this coming may. Go hurricanes...and gators!

yeah i go to UM! I'll graduate this coming may. Go hurricanes...and gators!

That's awesome... we probably had a bunch of the same professors!

I had Berg, Lewis, Mallery, Robinson, Colona, Heller, Wang, Waddington, Lu,Tokarz, Wilson, etc

Where you a science major? I just majored in Biology and minored in Chem and Psychology. My advisor was Astorini. That's cool I never see any UM people on here. LOL

It's not a big deal but some schools weigh more heavily on it than others. If you have a good application I wouldn't worry, but it won't hurt to stay and finish it up if you happen to not get in. I don't think UF is majorly concerned with having a degree, but if there are similar applicants with the same exact credentials than it becomes a dividing factor. You are in the best situation actually because you still have a chance to get in somewhere this year, but if not, then you still have time left to finish school. Me on the other hand... I am in grad school already for my MBA so I would like to hurry up and get into pharmacy school already! LOL

Thanks for the encouragement. I would love to get as much school in as possible, but I also want to work sometime in my life!
My ultimate dream would be to do UF’s PhD/ PharmD program, but I am not sure if I will be eligible with just going in with an AA (pre-requisites). I will have to look further into that. If someone knows the answer to that please post…. Also… is there anyone on here interested in the same?

I don't think you have too much to worry about if you don't have your Bachelors. There are plenty of students who only received their AA (only completed the pre-reqs) who got in, myself included.
Thank you for letting me know that. Have you found that ones with a bachelors have an edge on the material, or is pharmacy school so different that everyone is learning all new info anyway?
I have heard from others that it hurts not taking biochemistry before starting, but then others have told me you learn all you need to know in pharm school.

Thank you for letting me know that. Have you found that ones with a bachelors have an edge on the material, or is pharmacy school so different that everyone is learning all new info anyway?
I have heard from others that it hurts not taking biochemistry before starting, but then others have told me you learn all you need to know in pharm school.

There are some courses where having a degree in something is beneficial. Such as microbiology. I never took microbio in undergrad. Microbio majors definitely have an advantage. But I don't think that you are at a disadvantage by not having a bachelors.

I took biochemistry in undergrad, and I really have to say that undergrad biochemistry was 3x harder than the biochemistry you take first year in pharm school, but it's definitely not too difficult, even if you have no background in biochem.

It's all really relative and how well one adapts to new subjects. Pharmacy school is definitely survivable, even if you only did pre-reqs. You just need to put in the time to study for the classes and everything will work out fine.

Thanks for the encouragement. I would love to get as much school in as possible, but I also want to work sometime in my life!
My ultimate dream would be to do UF’s PhD/ PharmD program, but I am not sure if I will be eligible with just going in with an AA (pre-requisites). I will have to look further into that. If someone knows the answer to that please post…. Also… is there anyone on here interested in the same?

I think it's possible to do the joint degree program, even if you just have your AA. Taking a quote from the PharmD/PhD information, "The joint degree program could enable students to attain both degrees within a period of approximately nine years of study from the beginning of college. This includes at least two years of prepharmacy studies, four years of professional education, and approximately three to four years of graduate studies."

The way I understand it, you just do your 2 years, get your AA, 4 years of PharmD studies, then an additional 3 for the PhD.

How many of you guys were accepted to the Gainseville campus?

From what I understand you apply to a joint degree program after your first (or maybe second? not exactly sure) year of pharm school. So you should be fine with just an AA. I'm looking into doing the PharmD/MBA which is 5 years total....It seems pretty difficult thought to do both...but probably worth it in the end. We'll see when the time comes I guess! When you go to your interview, ask the Pharmacy Ambassadors about it cause they can probably give you some advice about it.

I would be amazed if you could get your PhD with only an AA. The nine years of education is most likely 4 years of PharmD and 5 years of PhD......i have never seen a PhD completed in only 3 years (in the US).....

(I am speaking from experience as I have a PhD in Organic Chemistry and I completed it in 5.5 years, but had friends that didn't finish for 7 years!)

How many of you guys were accepted to the Gainseville campus?

I was first assigned to the Orlando campus but I got transferred to the Gainesville campus recently. Are you still waiting on your interview?

Anyone else get into Gainesville??? I'd like to start a facebook group for all of us to get to know each other! :)

I was first assigned to the Orlando campus but I got transferred to the Gainesville campus recently. Are you still waiting on your interview?

Anyone else get into Gainesville??? I'd like to start a facebook group for all of us to get to know each other! :)

I'm also assigned to the gainesville campus. we should definitely get a facebook group going!

Lucky duck. You managed to get transferred? How'd you pull that :)

CMgator10, congrats on getting transferred! i know that was a big issue for you.

Congrats!!!...Yes I'm still waiting...The waiting is killing me!!!

Thanks everyone! I am so lucky/grateful that my campus petition was approved but I actually recently started realizing that the program would have been great in Orlando or any other campus. But I'm so excited to start....I've been looking through the curriculum, course schedules, and orientation schedules lol.

Now just have to get started on my paperwork! Does anyone know where they are going to go to get CPR certified? Is it free/how long does it take? I'm hoping there are some classes on campus I can enroll in ASAP

Thanks everyone! I am so lucky/grateful that my campus petition was approved but I actually recently started realizing that the program would have been great in Orlando or any other campus. But I'm so excited to start....I've been looking through the curriculum, course schedules, and orientation schedules lol.

Now just have to get started on my paperwork! Does anyone know where they are going to go to get CPR certified? Is it free/how long does it take? I'm hoping there are some classes on campus I can enroll in ASAP

The SHCC website brings you to the college of medicine for CPR training. http://cpr.med.ufl.edu/courses/acicpr/ - It's 45 for Adult and CHild and it's a 3 hour session.

I just got an interview invite for April 9! Anyone waiting for a response still, check your e-mail. :D

When did you esubmit? I am still waiting.

I submitted at the end of summer last year. I'm guessing they were waiting on my fall transcripts.

Congrats! What campus? I am still waiting. When did they receive your app?

I'm not sure what campus. The first e-mail doesn't say. I'm guessing it will be in the next e-mail in response to my accepting the invite. I sent my app in only a week or two after it was available.

[/QUOTE] I sent my app in only a week or two after it was available.[/QUOTE]
wow.. You were on top of things.

It must be Jax or Orlando, those are the only interviews for that date:

GAINESVILLE CAMPUS
  • Friday, January 29, 2010, 12:30pm - 4:00pm
  • Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 12:30pm - 4:00pm
  • Friday, April 16, 2010, 12:30pm - 4:00pm
  • Friday, June 4, 2010, 12:30pm - 4:00pm
JACKSONVILLE CAMPUS
  • Friday, April 9, 2010, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
  • Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
ORLANDO CAMPUS
  • Friday, March 19, 2010, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
  • Friday, April 9, 2010, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
ST. PETERSBURG CAMPUS
  • Monday, March 22, 2010, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
  • Monday, April 12, 2010, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

I only finished my application a few weeks ago, but I ranked St Pete 1st and Gainesville 2nd. I wonder if I will hear of anything soon. The wait is a little rough. LOL

I just got my April 9 interview invite as well :D

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to JAX because I ranked it second and Orlando 4th lol. =P

GUYS I'm so excited.

Fenderbiz...looking at your PCAT score, I got a 92 and RC killed me too! We both have strong verbal skills (verbal was also my highest), so wtf was up with that exam.

I want to punch that section in the face lol. Oh well guess its of little significance at this point :D

Fenderbiz...looking at your PCAT score, I got a 92 and RC killed me too! We both have strong verbal skills (verbal was also my highest), so wtf was up with that exam.

I want to punch that section in the face lol. Oh well guess its of little significance at this point :D

I also had higher scores to top it off with a very low RC, that ruined my score...
chm 93
bio 97
verbal 89
quan 65
RC 37
overall: 85
I didnt do to well on the quant either, but that RC killed me. So apparently we cant read.
I picked Jax as my number one, so maybe I will hear something this week?? (hopeful:xf:)
when did you turn in your app?

For those of you who already emailed your decision letter back, did you get a confirmation email stating they received it? I emailed mine on Friday and haven't heard anything back.