UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2020/2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They emailed me, I haven't logged into VMCAS, so I'm not sure if it's also posted there. Also, I inquired about it and they said i didn't have enough upper division biology classes. I did a post-bacc so I took the bare minimum, but it did include micro bio, cell bio, genetics, biochem, and anat/phys (plus of course the intros and the orgos). But I guess they wanted more upper division electives? I emailed them for verification, simply because of the $$$ but I suspect they'll still put me in the 5 year "programme." Oh well. More time to travel Europe! nobody else has heard yet? I'm rooting for us all to get interviews!! I hope you hear soon!

Weird. It's probably the difference of one extra upper level elective that pushed you into the 5-year programme (Irony - when the SDN word processor red-squiggly lines programme because of misspelling). No word yet from Edinburgh or Dublin, but it's still early so I'm not concerned.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received my invite to interview for accelerated program! Ashamed to say but I did cry lol

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my interview date - November 15. Holy **** that's soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weird. It's probably the difference of one extra upper level elective that pushed you into the 5-year programme (Irony - when the SDN word processor red-squiggly lines programme because of misspelling). No word yet from Edinburgh or Dublin, but it's still early so I'm not concerned.
They told me if I took another/some more upper division course next semester I could be considered for the 4 year. Hmmm decisions decisions...

They told me if I took another/some more upper division course next semester I could be considered for the 4 year. Hmmm decisions decisions...

For what it's worth, if you end up getting accepted you'll have ~8 months or so. Might be better to spend that time relaxing, traveling (if that's your thing), and living it up before embarking on what's sure to be a hectic and demanding next phase of your life.

The non-accelerated program might be a good introduction and give you time to acclimate. If you're worried about taking a year longer, don't. I'm 28 now and graduating this December. Yes, I'll be older when I'm a doctor, but the time off and life experience I've gained has been priceless.

For what it's worth, if you end up getting accepted you'll have ~8 months or so. Might be better to spend that time relaxing, traveling (if that's your thing), and living it up before embarking on what's sure to be a hectic and demanding next phase of your life.

The non-accelerated program might be a good introduction and give you time to acclimate. If you're worried about taking a year longer, don't. I'm 28 now and graduating this December. Yes, I'll be older when I'm a doctor, but the time off and life experience I've gained has been priceless.
We're in the same boat! I'm 26, will be 27 when I start. I have a bachelors in political science -- don't ask me how I got here! Haha yeah, I don't think I'm inclined to take more classes next spring. The only consideration would be $. 10k for one more semester vs 50k+? for a fifth year, plus living expenses (I currently live rent free in what used to be my grandmothers house). But I'll wait to see if I'm even accepted before I go taking more classes.

Hi everyone! Feel like I'm joining this thread a little late, but excited to see that there are a few of us who are interested in crossing the pond! I applied to Glasgow and Dublin, and have an interview with Glasgow in February! Finger crossed to hear back from my other schools soon!

YAYY! Got an interview for the accelerated for Nov. 14th! Anyone else for this date?

Just a suggestion, but can everyone list which school they're talking about when posting? This is a broad forum with all UK schools plus Dublin and it can be difficult to follow every time.

Cause otherwise you're causing this old man to have GI upset each time I see an interview invite. Unless you all are into that sort of thing, then carry on sickos.

Hello! I have applied to Glasgow, Edinburg, London, and Dublin.
So far I've heard back from Glasgow and London and I've received an interview for both! I have the Glasgow one in New York February 3rd, and the London one also in New York November 14th (ahhh so soon!). I was wondering if anyone has any insights on the interview process for these schools? My friend did the Glasgow interview last year and it's pretty straight forward, she said it was more like a conversation. But the London one seems a little more complicated...the e-mail says my interview is from 1:30PM to 6PM which seems really long to me! And does anyone know what the group activity portion of the London interview involves?

Oyyy, LONDON, I'm off one's trolley and thoroughly knackered waiting for your email. Send me some good news today and keep my state of mind tickety-boo or bugger off!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the invite today to an interview in November for royal's accelerated program!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just joining the fun, but wanted to pop in to say that I just received an invite for the accelerated program for Nov. 17th in Dallas!

Oyyy, LONDON, I'm off one's trolley and thoroughly knackered waiting for your email. Send me some good news today and keep my state of mind tickety-boo or bugger off!
Where are you located? Seems like they started at the east coast and are moving west.

I also received my interview invite today from RVC! First one!

Anyone has interview the 14th in the morning? Since we will be doing a group project I just thought we might get head start :joyful:

But seriously now, this speed dating type of interview is giving me stomach ache. When I visited RVC in the summer, both my tour guides told me to study up o current events and ethics, but also told me that I should not worry, that the interview is very relaxed and fun. I looked up some examples online and most people said that the interview went well...but I am still not convinced.

For example what are the 3 R's? My three R's are reduce, reuse, recycle...but I guess that is not what they are looking for :D

Anyone has interview the 14th in the morning? Since we will be doing a group project I just thought we might get head start :joyful:

But seriously now, this speed dating type of interview is giving me stomach ache. When I visited RVC in the summer, both my tour guides told me to study up o current events and ethics, but also told me that I should not worry, that the interview is very relaxed and fun. I looked up some examples online and most people said that the interview went well...but I am still not convinced.

For example what are the 3 R's? My three R's are reduce, reuse, recycle...but I guess that is not what they are looking for :D

I've got an interview on the 14th as well but at 1:30PM. Anyone else has that time? Also I e-mailed them to ask if they had any advice on how to prepare and this is what they said:
The interview is designed to test mainly personal qualities, rather than learned knowledge or something you can revise for. Just get a good sleep the night before so your mind isn’t tired.

Although I'm sure that being up to date with current events and practicing ethical dilema questions can't be a bad idea.

Got interviews for Glasgow (Feb. 1st, NYC) and Royal (Nov. 17th, Dallas)! Anyone else headed to Dallas?

Reactions: 1 users
Got interviews for Glasgow (Feb. 1st, NYC) and Royal (Nov. 17th, Dallas)! Anyone else headed to Dallas?
I'm also 2/1 for Glasgow. What time is yours?

Just got my interview for RVC this morning! November 22nd in LA! Also applied to Edinburgh, anyone heard back from them yet? Also how is everyone preparing for the RVC interview? It's MMI right?

Just got my interview for RVC this morning! November 22nd in LA! Also applied to Edinburgh, anyone heard back from them yet? Also how is everyone preparing for the RVC interview? It's MMI right?

I'm gonna make sure I know my personal statement in and out, gonna read up on current events in veterinary medicine and read An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics by Rollin. I did an MMI interview last year for my local vet school and that book was really helpful. Also, my university hosts practice MMI's every year and I've done them 3 times and found them super helpful! So if you can find a place near you that does practice MMI, I'm sure it would help!

And nope, nothing for Edinburgh yet!

November 22nd in LA!

Me too. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding out who I am.

I'm gonna make sure I know my personal statement in and out, gonna read up on current events in veterinary medicine and read An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics by Rollin. I did an MMI interview last year for my local vet school and that book was really helpful. Also, my university hosts practice MMI's every year and I've done them 3 times and found them super helpful! So if you can find a place near you that does practice MMI, I'm sure it would help!

And nope, nothing for Edinburgh yet!

Ok, now I'm sort of freaking out. What's the type of preparation we should be doing for these interviews?

YAY! Good to know there are people who are nervous about the interviews like I am! And the only 3 R's I know are Reduce, refine, and replace from research.. but now I'm wondering if they're looking for something witty? Anyone have a link to maybe a thread that has potential questions asked?

What is this business you're talking about -- 3 Rs??

I'm pretty sure that the link references a time when RVC did traditional interviews, before they switched to MMIs. I don't think it's particularly relevant.

You can't really do much to prepare for the RVC MMIs or the group activity. Just make sure you can do basic dosage calculations and that you can think and express yourself rationally, reasonably, and intelligently when presented with information or a dilemma. And make sure you can talk about what you've seen during your time in a veterinary setting. It actually can be a pretty fun interview, if you can overlook the inherent stressfulness of it being an interview. Seriously, try not to worry about it. You won't find a list of questions they ask online, just be yourself.

Oh, and the 3R's are explained in the link below, but I highly doubt they expect you to be able to talk about them. Just make sure you've thought a bit about how humans use animals.

https://www.nc3rs.org.uk/

Oh, and congrats to everyone getting interviews!

I'm pretty sure that the link references a time when RVC did traditional interviews, before they switched to MMIs. I don't think it's particularly relevant.

You can't really do much to prepare for the RVC MMIs or the group activity. Just make sure you can do basic dosage calculations and that you can think and express yourself rationally, reasonably, and intelligently when presented with information or a dilemma. And make sure you can talk about what you've seen during your time in a veterinary setting. It actually can be a pretty fun interview, if you can overlook the inherent stressfulness of it being an interview. Seriously, try not to worry about it. You won't find a list of questions they ask online, just be yourself.

Oh, and the 3R's are explained in the link below, but I highly doubt they expect you to be able to talk about them. Just make sure you've thought a bit about how humans use animals.

https://www.nc3rs.org.uk/

Oh, and congrats to everyone getting interviews!

Thanks for this. In my situation, I only have ~130 hours of veterinary experience (110 SA / 20 LA) that was strictly shadowing. Pretty much no hands on other than a dental or two, and little to no experience with dosage calculations like you've mentioned. So, I believe the committee has viewed my application holistically and has looked at me more as a person, what I've overcome, and how I've applied myself, and not so much my time in the field.

I'm a little bit worried, but then again, if they granted me an interview invitation then I assume they realize I won't be as knowledgeable?

Thanks for this. In my situation, I only have ~130 hours of veterinary experience (110 SA / 20 LA) that was strictly shadowing. Pretty much no hands on other than a dental or two, and little to no experience with dosage calculations like you've mentioned. So, I believe the committee has viewed my application holistically and has looked at me more as a person, what I've overcome, and how I've applied myself, and not so much my time in the field.

I'm a little bit worried, but then again, if they granted me an interview invitation then I assume they realize I won't be as knowledgeable?
All of my experience is shadowing too. The most i did was draw up a vaccine that was pre-measured in a vial. By calculations, I don't think they expect you to know the dosage - even the vets I work with don't know the dosages for every drug - rather if they say the dose is 25mg/10lbs and Fifi is 50lbs, how much should she get? That's just my expectation... I could be wrong. I just highly doubt they'll ask anything that requires medical/pharmaceutical knowledge.

I'm just going back over my entire application - personal statement, transcripts, etc. I didn't make any false claims on my application, and as long as I can support the claims I did make, I think I'll be okay because as you said, they know what your experience is and they still offered you an interview. The MMI format is difficult to prepare for. You can read books and sample questions hoping that you can think of answers ahead of time, but they really just want to see if you can think critically and communicate your ideas clearly, concisely, and intelligently without using "um" or "like" or "y'know" every other word.

The questions I hate are "tell me about a time when..." because my memory sucks. But the MMI format likely won't ask those kinds of questions. Think about some ethical dilemmas that you/your vet faced, or that you may face, or some controversial topics in the field. Know the difference between animal rights and animal welfare. We'll all be fine.

Please don't worry. They're not looking for knowledge, that's what vet school is for. They're looking for your ability to think and reason. You don't need to know the recommended dosage for anything. They want to see if you have basic math skills and can reason. That's all.

I only had ~180 hours shadowing/volunteering in a small animal/exotics practice plus a few weeks of stables experience when I applied, and I got in! Remember, most UK students apply straight out of high school, so they only have a few weeks of shadowing, not the years working as a vet tech that many US applicants have. They're not looking for knowledge, you've proved your science knowledge through your coursework. The interview is to see how you think.

I went to an RVC Open Day awhile ago, and they clearly stated that they don't give any extra advantage to people who have tons and tons of hours. As long as you meet the minimum experience requirements (which you definitely do if they're offered you an interview), you're good. They don't give more consideration to those with loads of hours because it wouldn't be fair to people who don't have the means to get that many hours.

Last edited:
Also, don't worry if you feel like you've screwed up a station or two. There are 6 stations (or there were last year), so you don't have to be great at all of them. I know I felt really bad about how I did on one, and not so great about another, but I still made it. So just relax, be yourself, and don't worry about how you did at one station when you get to the next. Just do your best and try to have fun.

Please don't worry. They're not looking for knowledge, that's what vet school is for. They're looking for your ability to think and reason. You don't need to know the recommended dosage for anything. They want to see if you have basic math skills and can reason. That's all.

I only had ~180 hours shadowing/volunteering in a small animal/exotics practice plus a few weeks of stables experience when I applied, and I got in! Remember, most UK students apply straight out of high school, so they only have a few weeks of shadowing, not the years working as a vet tech that many US applicants have. They're not looking for knowledge, you've proved your science knowledge through your coursework. The interview is to see how you think.

I went to an RVC Open Day awhile ago, and they clearly stated that they don't give any extra advantage to people who have tons and tons of hours. As long as you meet the minimum experience requirements (which you definitely do if they're offered you an interview), you're good. They don't give more consideration to those with loads of hours because it wouldn't be fair to people who don't have the means to get that many hours.

Was there a group activity in your interview? If yes, what did you have to do? And for the 6 stations, are they all ethical dilema type scenarios and you have to say what you would do if you were in that position?

Was there a group activity in your interview? If yes, what did you have to do? And for the 6 stations, are they all ethical dilema type scenarios and you have to say what you would do if you were in that position?

Yes, there was a group activity. I can't comment about what it was or what the stations were. In your interview invitation, did they give you a list of what the stations will cover?

No, they did not say what it would cover. Just that there would be 6 stations and 1 group activity.
I did an MMI interview for another vet school, and there at each station we had 2 minutes to read a scenario and then 8 minutes to tell the interviewer what we would do in each situation. I'm curious if RVC's MMI are similar, but I understand if you can't say. Do they make you sign a confidentiality agreement? I had to sign one at my other MMI interview, although the comment I just made about it is allowed as they tell you this in advance. I'm just not allowed to share my scenarios.
Are you allowed to say how long each station is? My interview invitation says my interview is from 1:30 to 6PM. 4 hour and a half seems really long to me!

Also, you said that you got in. Did you choose to go to RVC? Or did you end up going to another veterinary school?

There are some other folks interviewing for London in NYC Nov 14/15 right? Are you guys super local or getting a hotel? I'm in CT but on the far eastern border and my interview is at 9am. Wanting to be fully rested and refreshed, I'm thinking about getting a hotel for the night before - wondering if anyone has recommendations or has already booked??

There are some other folks interviewing for London in NYC Nov 14/15 right? Are you guys super local or getting a hotel? I'm in CT but on the far eastern border and my interview is at 9am. Wanting to be fully rested and refreshed, I'm thinking about getting a hotel for the night before - wondering if anyone has recommendations or has already booked??

I'm about a 10 hour drive from NYC so my mom booked a hotel for the day before and the night of. She booked the hotel closest to the interview place.

I'm going to book mine this weekend. Can't believe it's 2 weeks away! If anyone doing the NY interviews wants to get together Saturday night, I'd be down!