UK Vet Schools c/o 2027/2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Omg received my conditional offer (4yr program) from RVC today. Beyond excited!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted to RVC last week and I’m so excited!! I’d love to connect with other prospective students or hear from a few that are current students!!

Reactions: 1 user
The group in the attached photo was actually made by a promoting agency which sells tickets and promotes events to new students in London. I can make a real one for the class entering this Fall, 2027 (4yr) and 2028 (5yr) -

RVC Class of 2027/8 | Facebook

I'm a California applicant who deferred admission last year and will be moving to the UK in April!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 10.02.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 10.02.21 PM.png
    604.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the deposit for RVC is due? I know we need to accept by April 17th but there is nothing about the deposit.

Is anyone struggling to choose between RVC and University College Dublin?

Is anyone struggling to choose between RVC and University College Dublin?
Sort of - I'm more struggling to decide between Dublin and Edinburgh (though I am still considering RVC)... frustrating that it's hard to dig up info on Dublin other than they might have a slightly more farm/equine focus than the other two

Sort of - I'm more struggling to decide between Dublin and Edinburgh (though I am still considering RVC)... frustrating that it's hard to dig up info on Dublin other than they might have a slightly more farm/equine focus than the other two
I am a first year at UCD if you have any questions.

I am a first year at UCD if you have any questions.
Sure thing, thanks!
  • How have you liked it so far? What are the pros and cons of the school in your opinion?
  • Are you an international student and/or in the 4-year accelerated program, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
  • Does the school feel like it has more of a large or small animal focus, or is it an equal balance of each?
  • What are accommodations like? Are you guaranteed university housing for one year (& if so, what are the options like) or do you need to find independent housing beforehand?
  • How do you like Dublin as a city? How well does its public transport work to get to/from the school and around the city?
  • If you do have any insight/experience with RVC or Edinburgh, how does Dublin compare (in terms of both the vet school & the city)?
Sorry if that's too much, haha... even just answering a couple would be super helpful and very much appreciated!! :)

Accepted to RVC last week and I’m so excited!! I’d love to connect with other prospective students or hear from a few that are current students!!
I’ve been accepted too! I accepted my seat for the 4 year program starting this fall. Also for sure looking to connect with future classmates!

Sure thing, thanks!
  • How have you liked it so far? What are the pros and cons of the school in your opinion?
  • Are you an international student and/or in the 4-year accelerated program, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
  • Does the school feel like it has more of a large or small animal focus, or is it an equal balance of each?
  • What are accommodations like? Are you guaranteed university housing for one year (& if so, what are the options like) or do you need to find independent housing beforehand?
  • How do you like Dublin as a city? How well does its public transport work to get to/from the school and around the city?
  • If you do have any insight/experience with RVC or Edinburgh, how does Dublin compare (in terms of both the vet school & the city)?
Sorry if that's too much, haha... even just answering a couple would be super helpful and very much appreciated!! :)
Here are the answers to your questions. Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out if you need any more info.
Good luck with your decision!!
    • I think that it was the right choice for me. I am very happy here. It is a ton of work (as it would be anywhere).
    • Pros:
      • Incredible livestock education and experience.
      • Very approachable faculty.
      • Very supportive administration.
      • Ability to travel around the EU.
      • Grading set up in a way to reduce competition within the class making it a very collaborative environment.
      • Essay end of term exams, so you learn the material in a comprehensive manner.
    • Cons:
      • A bit laid back/disorganised (this is very Irish).
      • A new culture and country to get used to (all sort of little annoyances with immigration and a different health system).
      • Classes with a bunch of undergrads who are a bit less motivated and party VERY hard.
      • End of term exams are worth the majority of the semester grade (70-80%). This puts a lot of stress on one essay based exam.
    • I am from California and in the Grad Entry program. I believe that it is similar to the US schools, as it is not really accelerated by our standards. Most of the people in the 5-year program are 18 and right out of high school.
    • It has been very large animal focused so far. My intention is to work with cattle, so that is why I chose this school. It is living up to my expectations.
    • I am an older student and living off campus with my husband. Most of my classmates are on campus. No one who wanted campus housing was denied. It is mostly apartment like housing (single rooms with en suite bathrooms and a common living space with a kitchen). I believe that most of my classmates have 4 roommates.
    • There is a housing crisis in Dublin. Finding off campus housing is definitely possible, but a challenge.
    • The bus system is fabulous!
    • Dublin is a lovely city with easy access to the mountains and lots of hiking.
    • There are lots of great pubs and clubs.
    • I did not apply to any UK schools.

Here are the answers to your questions. Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out if you need any more info.
Good luck with your decision!!
    • I think that it was the right choice for me. I am very happy here. It is a ton of work (as it would be anywhere).
    • Pros:
      • Incredible livestock education and experience.
      • Very approachable faculty.
      • Very supportive administration.
      • Ability to travel around the EU.
      • Grading set up in a way to reduce competition within the class making it a very collaborative environment.
      • Essay end of term exams, so you learn the material in a comprehensive manner.
    • Cons:
      • A bit laid back/disorganised (this is very Irish).
      • A new culture and country to get used to (all sort of little annoyances with immigration and a different health system).
      • Classes with a bunch of undergrads who are a bit less motivated and party VERY hard.
      • End of term exams are worth the majority of the semester grade (70-80%). This puts a lot of stress on one essay based exam.
    • I am from California and in the Grad Entry program. I believe that it is similar to the US schools, as it is not really accelerated by our standards. Most of the people in the 5-year program are 18 and right out of high school.
    • It has been very large animal focused so far. My intention is to work with cattle, so that is why I chose this school. It is living up to my expectations.
    • I am an older student and living off campus with my husband. Most of my classmates are on campus. No one who wanted campus housing was denied. It is mostly apartment like housing (single rooms with en suite bathrooms and a common living space with a kitchen). I believe that most of my classmates have 4 roommates.
    • There is a housing crisis in Dublin. Finding off campus housing is definitely possible, but a challenge.
    • The bus system is fabulous!
    • Dublin is a lovely city with easy access to the mountains and lots of hiking.
    • There are lots of great pubs and clubs.
    • I did not apply to any UK schools.
Thank you so, so much!!! This was very helpful, thank you again!! :)

Does anyone have any tips on finding housing around RVC?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
do you happen to be looking for pet friendly housing? I’m having a hard time finding anything
I’m having the hardest time finding pet friendly housing near Camden campus, it’s seems like there’s loads out in Potters Bar but I’m not having much luck in the main city

I’m having the hardest time finding pet friendly housing near Camden campus, it’s seems like there’s loads out in Potters Bar but I’m not having much luck in the main city
Same!! Where are you looking? I don’t even really know where to start.

Same!! Where are you looking? I don’t even really know where to start.
Rightmove and Spareroom seem like a good place to look, rightmove for finding places to split and spareroom for finding rooms in already established houses. There’s the RVC hub Facebook group too, that’s the big main page that everyone uses.

Hello! I’ve been accepted to the 5 year programs at RVC and Glasgow- can anyone from either program talk about why they like/dislike the one they’re in or why they chose which one?

i’ve seen many scholarships catered towards US students…has anyone looked into UK scholarships for vet students?

Just received my offer for Dublin's 5 year program!! So excited!!
I am wondering what everyone is doing for loans... I live overseas so international fees are going to be well over 250,000 for the 5 years and am struggling to find any loans above 125. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just declined seat for glasgow. Good Luck everyone!

Anyone moved their SO with them from the US to a UK school and have information on getting an SO visa so they can work? My partner and I have been together for 6 years, but are not engaged or married. We have never lived together as we dated in college and then continued long distance for 3 years as we attend separate graduate schools. The UK gov rules say that you must either be engaged/married or have evidence of living together for 2 years. Has anyone experienced getting an SO a visa that didn't fit these rules exactly, if you were able to prove the longevity of your relationship?

Anyone moved their SO with them from the US to a UK school and have information on getting an SO visa so they can work? My partner and I have been together for 6 years, but are not engaged or married. We have never lived together as we dated in college and then continued long distance for 3 years as we attend separate graduate schools. The UK gov rules say that you must either be engaged/married or have evidence of living together for 2 years. Has anyone experienced getting an SO a visa that didn't fit these rules exactly, if you were able to prove the longevity of your relationship?
Definitely have a similar question. Applying to Glasgow, would be bringing my fiancé. We are willing to get married on paper prior to moving as we weren't planning to get married soon (just got engaged in May but have been together 8 years), but would rather not have that legal tie quite yet.

It would be a good idea for you to check with the school. Because Vet Med is an undergraduate degree in the EU and UK, spouses and children are not included on the student visa. They are only included on student visas for masters degrees and above. Eventhough you might be in a graduate entry program, you are still considered an undergrad. I know of a couple of people where their husbands moved with them and were denied visas at the boarder (had to enter on a tourist visa and leave in 90 days).

If your SO wants to join you, they will probably need to qualify for a visa on their own (full time student or get a job).