UNC Dental School Hopefuls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TarheelDDS

Aspiring Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else on here hoping to go to dental school at UNC Chapel Hill?

Just curious, wouldn't mind talking with some of you.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of it. It seems like a nice campus and nice location for weather.

I'd love to get into UNC. All around great school

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to post questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. I prefer to do it over the forum than via PM, as others may have the same questions.

Feel free to post questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. I prefer to do it over the forum than via PM, as others may have the same questions.

Do you know roughly how many people in our class are from out of state? and/or how much more difficult it is for an out-of-state applicant than an in-state?

Do you know roughly how many people in our class are from out of state? and/or how much more difficult it is for an out-of-state applicant than an in-state?

I know that it's more competitive out-of-state. Your question can be answered here: http://www.dent.unc.edu/academic/programs/dds/faqs.cfm

That being said, we have some insanely superstar-level out-of-staters in our class, and others with stats which were more modest. It's all about using stats to help get the interview, and then using the interview to convince them to accept you.

Hi! I am an out-of-state applicant who will be attending UNC next year! I can't be sure that this is all accurate but these are the stats that I wrote down during a power point presentation that was given during the interview day. They told us that they interview around 64-73 OOS students and have 256 total interviews. (I didn't write down the number that apply OOS but I think it was aroung 700 or so??) each year they accept around 16. Also, for any OOS student who turns down their acceptance the place is filled by an in-state student, so there are around 8-12 OOS students who end up attending each year. The ratio that they gave us for OOS students of apply to accepted was 52.8:1.
Also the average BCP GPA for OOS students accepted was 3.8 and the average DAT was 21. (I didn't write down the in state numbers)

Anyways hope this helps! I know the number sounds intimidating but it can be done! Also they put a big emphasis on their interviews, so like Sarah_bellum said it is your stats that will get you the interview, but how well you interview will be what gets you accepted! Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats Kate! I spent a decent amount of time at the dental school this week. I loved every minute of it!! You will too!

I know the September interview is typically out of state folks..just wondered if anyone from instate has heard about interviews or anything...:)

Thanks for starting this thread. I've never been to North Carolina but I've kind of been dreaming of moving there for a long time. I considered applying to UNC-CH for undergrad, but ended up going to my local university because I would graduate debt free. I'd love to go to UNC, but as an out of state student I think my stats are too average to get an interview. I applied anyway but I'm not getting my hopes up. When would UNC start inviting people for interviews (especially OOS if there's a difference)?

Thanks for starting this thread. I've never been to North Carolina but I've kind of been dreaming of moving there for a long time. I considered applying to UNC-CH for undergrad, but ended up going to my local university because I would graduate debt free. I'd love to go to UNC, but as an out of state student I think my stats are too average to get an interview. I applied anyway but I'm not getting my hopes up. When would UNC start inviting people for interviews (especially OOS if there's a difference)?

I was told last Thursday (8/19) that it would be a couple of weeks until they sent out invites to interview...so maybe we should hear something next week?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
i walked my application in there mid july.

i havnt even received an email or aadsas desicion stating they've received it and its under review.

has anyone heard from them in any way?

predents has 0 interviews for them. so it could just be they start a bit later

I have been Under Review on AADSAS since 7/23 (I submitted on 7/9 and sent in the required packet/fee a few days later).

I was just put Under Review yesterday (8/26)...so hopefully we hear back in the next few weeks

Yep, I'm in the same boat as you. My stats are average as well, especially as an OOS applicant. I've received pre-December interview invites to 4 other schools, and it would be awesome to hear from UNC too. But, I know they are looking for insanely good stats.

I have a question my status changed today from received/under review to received/waiting for more information. In the box to the side it said it could be because I they didn't get my online supplemental or don't have official DAT scores on file. I know I had my DAT scores sent, but Im wondering if the fact that I put in my supplemental that I was retaking near the end of august if they put my application on hold until they get my new scores? any thoughts?

I'm not sure...my AADSAS said that too until I emailed them and told them they had all of my stuff. Did you send the Honor Statement and those other forms you had to fill out? It could just be the re-take you indicated, but I would call or email to find out.

I applied to UNC and love to get in there. There support staff is so friendly and it is probably the only school that specifically said they don't look at over all GPA as some student may have done poorly in the first year and this will mathematically eliminate them.

However, I think it would be very difficult for International student to get in. I could not find any stats on the International students for that school.

Just checked their website and it says there is a "scheduled interview date" on their timeline for September 25th. So for the early applicants, I bet you'll be hearing something next week!

For some odd reason, I think it'll be today. I've gotta feelinnnng.

I called them up yesterday to ask about my status. I dont like to call and bug dental schools, but seeing how almost every other school has shown up on AADSAS or has emailed me saying they've received my app, i was a bit worried.

She said everything that was suppose to be updated will show up on AADSAS... i think not!

They said ive been under review since August 1st. But yet nothing has shown up on AADSAS. So thats a relief. ive been kind of worried, but she also did say its only 1 person there, vs a lot more at other schools.

that may explain why they are a bit behind...?

My mailing date was 7/23 as well.

I've been under review on AADSAS since 7/29. Same mailing date as you.

For some odd reason, I think it'll be today. I've gotta feelinnnng.

You sir, got the prediction right. I just got an email invite for UNC interview on Sept 25...only problem...I will be flying home from my Penn invite that day.....RUT ROH!

You sir, got the prediction right. I just got an email invite for UNC interview on Sept 25...only problem...I will be flying home from my Penn invite that day.....RUT ROH!

Yes! :laugh:

Damn. I wish I got an invite... I love NC.

Im aiming for UNC for dental school as an in-state student. I already have a bachelor's degree, but will be returning to undergrad in January to fulfill the dental prereqs. I live in Charlotte now, and am trying to decide if I should fulfill these prereqs at UNC Charlotte (my alma mater) or UNC Chapel Hill.

Does anyone know if attending UNC undergrad for the prereqs will give my UNC dental school application a boost?

And would there be any additional advantages, such as better volunteer/research/work/extracurricular opportunities, to attending UNC instead of UNCC for undergrad classes? I assume this may be the case simply because UNC has a dental school, while UNCC does not.

You can bump the interview to October and it will not hurt your chances. But UNC does tend to interfere with other school's interviews since they ONLY offer Saturdays. Last year, my flight from Louisville didn't get back until 11 PM (Friday) and I had to drive to Chapel Hill that night (Friday). Didn't get in until 2 AM. Woke up at 6 AM for the interview. Just the way it works.

Im aiming for UNC for dental school as an in-state student. I already have a bachelor's degree, but will be returning to undergrad in January to fulfill the dental prereqs. I live in Charlotte now, and am trying to decide if I should fulfill these prereqs at UNC Charlotte (my alma mater) or UNC Chapel Hill.

Does anyone know if attending UNC undergrad for the prereqs will give my UNC dental school application a boost?

And would there be any additional advantages, such as better volunteer/research/work/extracurricular opportunities, to attending UNC instead of UNCC for undergrad classes? I assume this may be the case simply because UNC has a dental school, while UNCC does not.
Some may say it doesn't matter, but I believe completing your pre-requisites and UNC will look better. They have fairly tough science programs, so it will also depend on the grades you get. Making A's at UNCC will look better than B's and C's at UNC.

Some may say it doesn't matter, but I believe completing your pre-requisites and UNC will look better. They have fairly tough science programs, so it will also depend on the grades you get. Making A's at UNCC will look better than B's and C's at UNC.

Gotcha. Thanks. I am kind of leaning towards UNC anyway.

How is the pre-dental community there, and are there a lot of opportunities for research/shadow/volunteer experience?

My UNC status just got changed to "Received/Under Review" on 8/26 but I still can't help but keep checking my email and AADSAS! This process is driving me crazy. I really hope we all get interviews soon. Congrats to the people who have already received one!

My UNC status just got changed to "Received/Under Review" on 8/26 but I still can't help but keep checking my email and AADSAS! This process is driving me crazy. I really hope we all get interviews soon. Congrats to the people who have already received one!
Just to ease some of your consciouses and make this process a little less stressful... UNC sends everything out in bulk. If one person posts they received an interview invite then everyone else selected for that interview slot will receive one the same day or the following. They send invites out 3-4 weeks prior to the interview. This is how they did it last year for every interview date and I imagine they will keep it the same. If I am wrong, forgive me.

:) Thank you FurtureDent! It helps a lot to know that. :)

So if I didn't receive an invite today is it possible that I will still be invited to interview? Or does it pretty much mean I'm out?

Mailing date was 7/9...marked as received/under review on 7/23.

Just to ease some of your consciouses and make this process a little less stressful... UNC sends everything out in bulk. If one person posts they received an interview invite then everyone else selected for that interview slot will receive one the same day or the following. They send invites out 3-4 weeks prior to the interview. This is how they did it last year for every interview date and I imagine they will keep it the same. If I am wrong, forgive me.

So if I didn't receive an invite today is it possible that I will still be invited to interview? Or does it pretty much mean I'm out?

Mailing date was 7/9...marked as received/under review on 7/23.
If you don't receive one in the next day or two, you can most likely cancel yourself out of the September slot. But they still have October, November, and January interview dates.

This sounds correct. When I called today, she said they hand out interviews 3 weeks ahead of time. If a timeline helps, my mail date was 7/23, AADSAS went to under review 7/29, and interview invite 9/1. It sounds like you will be in the next "batch" to be review bacon. Good luck!

Last edited:
this sounds correct. When i called today, she said they hand out interviews 3 weeks ahead of time. If a timeline helps, my mail date was 7/23, aadsas went to under review 7/29, and interview invite 8/1. It sounds like you will be in the next "batch" to be review bacon. Good luck!
9/1*

So Maygyver, are you just going to have to catch an earlier flight or bump the interview to Oct?

Okay guys, so my status on AADSAS changed to Received/Under Review on 7/23...but my second science letter wasn't mailed until August 13th. Just on a timing basis, do you guys think I've missed the first interview batch?

I have gone ahead and scheduled the interview. I think I will just have to hope everything goes smoothly and schedule a flight in the early evening out of philly to get into raleigh late evening. I wasn't able to bump the interview back sadly, if I had said no, I would have gone back into the applicant pool and have to make it out again. I didn't want to take the chance since it is one of my top schools, so I will just have to just put up with the loss of money.

Congrats to everyone who got the interview invite! Look forward to seeing you all on the 25th (or at the social)!

I have gone ahead and scheduled the interview. I think I will just have to hope everything goes smoothly and schedule a flight in the early evening out of philly to get into raleigh late evening. I wasn't able to bump the interview back sadly, if I had said no, I would have gone back into the applicant pool and have to make it out again. I didn't want to take the chance since it is one of my top schools, so I will just have to just put up with the loss of money.

Good call, at least RDU airport is easy to deal with. Good luck:thumbup:

Anybody heard anything for October interviews??? Maybe it'll be next week when they send those out?

AADSAS changed to Received Under Review!!! Yeah!

very nice. high five mudfever. me too. this is what AADSAS says:

Your application is currently in the process of being reviewed. It will proceed through a multileveled review in which we consider such factors as your GPA, academic history, DAT scores, letters of evaluation/recommendation, investigation in the field of dentistry and all other factors presented in your application.

very nice. high five mudfever. me too. this is what AADSAS says:

Your application is currently in the process of being reviewed. It will proceed through a multileveled review in which we consider such factors as your GPA, academic history, DAT scores, letters of evaluation/recommendation, investigation in the field of dentistry and all other factors presented in your application.

Thanks, and congrats.

well my UNC application is complete. not sure since when, but i called today to check.

agian, no updates of any kind from UNC/AADSAS or anyone.

im not sure what is going on. it seems like you guys are getting updates on aadsas and such. oh well. ive been worried about this for a while.

i wonder which other schools this may be happening. I do not want to call but i dont understand whats going on.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm