EmDeeAZ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently received all of my undergrad college admissions decisions and need to make my school choice very soon. I intend on studying biomedical engineering (or bioengineering) on the premed track. I really want to be a doctor.

My top options are: M.I.T., University of Virginia, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, University of Texas-Austin (Honors), and Arizona State University (Honors, in state). Which school or schools are best for medical school applicants?? (GPA, experiences, reputation, resources)

Thank you so much. I would really appreciate your perspective

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I recently received all of my undergrad college admissions decisions and need to make my school choice very soon. I intend on studying biomedical engineering (or bioengineering) on the premed track. I really want to be a doctor.

My top options are: M.I.T., University of Virginia, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, University of Texas-Austin (Honors), and Arizona State University (Honors, in state). Which school or schools are best for medical school applicants?? (GPA, experiences, reputation, resources)

They are all fine institutions. You should go to whatever school you like the most. In the end, your GPA, MCAT score, and experiences are whats going to make or break your application.

Go to whatever school makes you the happiest. Happier people tend to find more success. With that said, if you're trying to go to a T5/10 medical school, look at their student undergrad list. I was looking at Penns and it was pretty rare to see anyone who wasn't from a T20 undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to MIT. Not because it's the "best" school for med school applicants. But because the caliber of faculty and students there will push you and challenge you to grow immensely. Research opportunities are ample and you are learning from literally the best people in the field (Eric Lander teaches general biology!)

That being said, all the other institutions you mentioned (especially Berkeley, UCSD, and UVA) are also incredible institutions with a high caliber of faculty and students (Jennifer Doudna used to teach general bio at Berkeley :p).

But if I were you, I'd go to MIT :D

Reactions: 1 user