UNECOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey engineered out,

I'm assuming you got the same email as I did, as I'm lacking the biochem requirement too. It doesn't sound like they won't consider you without the course, just that you need to have it completed prior to July 2009:

"Please remember that UNECOM requires biochemistry to be completed prior to matriculation. If invited for a campus interview, confirmation of enrollment in a biochemistry course (during fall 2008 or spring 2009) will be requested at that time. If the Admissions Committee recommends acceptance, it will be offered on the condition that a biochemistry course be successfully completed prior to the start of classes in August 2009. One option for completing this biochemistry requirement is UNECOM's Distance Medical Biochemistry course. More information is available at http://distance.une.edu. Please know that not yet having completed biochemistry - as long as it is completed by July 2009 - does not have any adverse effect on your status."

So here's what I think we should do.. submit the secondary as usual, wait for an interview offer. If offered one, and assuming you want to go to UNE badly enough, enroll in a biochem class so you have the confirmation you enrolled. If you get rejected post interview, then withdraw from the course. An acceptance, you take the class.

I called the admissions office. It wasn't biochem that was the problem. They want you to have COMPLETED the prereqs prior to applying. Apparently they note a difference between pre-requesite and pre-matriculation requirements. IE: I'm taking gen bio right now which they don't like, so thats why. And since I'm not going to spontaneously complete both semesters of bio and lab in the next month, thats it for me at UNECOM.

They actually sent me a survey to fill out several weeks later. Someone at the admissions office certainly has a big pair of balls.

Members don't see this ad.

hello, everyone,

UNECOM's secondary asks you to put down all the medical schools you're applying this cycle, do you really put down all the schools like both allo and osteo schools? Is there a way they can find out which schools you are applying?
thanks

hello, everyone,

UNECOM's secondary asks you to put down all the medical schools you're applying this cycle, do you really put down all the schools like both allo and osteo schools? Is there a way they can find out which schools you are applying?
thanks
I told them all the schools I applied to. Just be honest. Med schools talk to each other. More than you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the admissions office. It wasn't biochem that was the problem. They want you to have COMPLETED the prereqs prior to applying. Apparently they note a difference between pre-requesite and pre-matriculation requirements. IE: I'm taking gen bio right now which they don't like, so thats why. And since I'm not going to spontaneously complete both semesters of bio and lab in the next month, thats it for me at UNECOM.

They actually sent me a survey to fill out several weeks later. Someone at the admissions office certainly has a big pair of balls.

I also called the admissions office today about the biochem requirement (I have it, but AACOMAS miscatagorized it). I told them that if they needed me to, I'd retake over the spring, and he seemed fine with that. Apparently, there's a section on the secondary to cover that if you haven't taken it. (I haven't read this whole thread - maybe that's already been talked about).

Very nice folks. Totally hope they interview me.

I told them all the schools I applied to. Just be honest. Med schools talk to each other. More than you think.

Oh, thank you so much for confirming my most paranoid fantasies about this process! :laugh:

Ya I told them all the schools I was applying to (which is a lot) and they still gave me an interview. I suppose it pays to be honest.

Hi UNECOMers! Today's interview day was great! Very low key, great faculty and students....nothing to be stressed out about.

:love:

Hi UNECOMers! Today's interview day was great! Very low key, great faculty and students....nothing to be stressed out about.

:love:

Hey congrats on having a successful interview day. About how many people were there to interview? Would you mind leaving some feedback or telling a little about the interview. I interview there in 2 weeks. Thanks.

Approximately how long after your secondary was complete did you guys hear back about interviews?

Hey congrats on having a successful interview day. About how many people were there to interview? Would you mind leaving some feedback or telling a little about the interview. I interview there in 2 weeks. Thanks.

I will leave feedback when I get home in a couple days...there were 11 of us I think (3 ladies, 8 men). They interviewed us in teams of 3 or 4 students and faculty. No hard questions really, the existing feedback is definitely accurate. Don't stress!

I got my interview tomorrow, and while I feel well prepared, I can't help but be nervous. Anyone that interviewed recently have any last minute pointers or tips ??

I got my interview tomorrow, and while I feel well prepared, I can't help but be nervous. Anyone that interviewed recently have any last minute pointers or tips ??

I interviewed yesterday, and there is nothing to worry about. They do not use a harsh interview style. They might have a few questions about your specific file, but other than that, its very laid back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my invitation to interview for Oct. 14th. UNE is my top choice and the only interview I've received. I couldn't ask for much more! Is anyone else interviewing 10/14?

Hey! Yes, I will be there on the 14th also. It's nice that its after a three day weekend for me. I'll be driving up the 13th to look at the town and school ahead of time. Its the only interview I've received so far also, and it is also my top choice school. I'm so excited. Hopefully I won't jinx myself, but I would love to be accepted at this school so that I won't have to bother/worry about interviewing all over the place.

Good luck for both of us, and I'll see you there. :)

congrats to everyone who got interviews..how long after being complete did u guys get offers?

I think I heard back within a couple of weeks after sending my secondary in rugger. Maybe it was three weeks. I sent mine late august/early september, so that may have been before the rush of applications.

Does anyone have the link to current residency match lists for UNECOM?

For current students at UNECOM:

Do most schools offer rotations in emergency medicine during the third year? From the UNECOM web site, it seems as though there are no EM rotations during the third year and I am particularly interested in this specialty. Will it be difficult to match into an EM residency if one has not had any EM rotations during the third year? When does one begin applying for residencies? I know it is quite early, but I love EM and I also plan on having a family, so EM is a great fit for me as of now, so I definitely want to know I will not have a major problem getting into an EM residency program.

For current students at UNECOM:

Do most schools offer rotations in emergency medicine during the third year? From the UNECOM web site, it seems as though there are no EM rotations during the third year and I am particularly interested in this specialty. Will it be difficult to match into an EM residency if one has not had any EM rotations during the third year? When does one begin applying for residencies? I know it is quite early, but I love EM and I also plan on having a family, so EM is a great fit for me as of now, so I definitely want to know I will not have a major problem getting into an EM residency program.

I'm not a student there but reading their website it looks like you can complete an EM rotation during your 3rd year if you choose to do so. It looks like there are a number of rotations that you can choose to do either in your 3rd or 4th year. Check out http://www.une.edu/com/clinical/requirements.asp. It looks like EM is an option in your 3rd year.

I'm not a student there but reading their website it looks like you can complete an EM rotation during your 3rd year if you choose to do so. It looks like there are a number of rotations that you can choose to do either in your 3rd or 4th year. Check out http://www.une.edu/com/clinical/requirements.asp. It looks like EM is an option in your 3rd year.

Hey thanks so much for the info!! It certainly looks like EM is offered, but the only problem is if you scroll down to look at the 3rd year schedule, it does not seem like there is room for a 4 week selective rotation in EM... :confused: a bit confusing...

Although I see that at one point, OBGYN is offered from 4-6 weeks (Dec) and then for 2-6 weeks (Jan) so perhaps as long as the 6 weeks of required OBGYN is fulfilled at some point, one can choose to do the 4 week EM or another selective rotation during the other slot... just a thought.

The way rotations works is you have certain core rotations you MUST complete in your third year. There is one open block (which you are encouraged to use for AHEC or OMM). OMM would be a good block to put in as prep for your COMLEX II PE exam - a kind of refresher. Your fourth year is really all scheduled as you wish. So you can do an EM rotation right after colloquim.

I wouldn't get too stuck on what you want to do - 80% of all med students change their minds from what they thought they'd be interested in when they entered med school. And there are plenty of other specialties that are very good for family life. Keep an open mind and you'll be happy.

I spent a day in the Spring doing the same stuff (following a student around, meeting with admissions staff, attending class) and I would have been comfortable wearing anything. I wore a shirt and tie with a sweater (it was cold) and I felt comfortable but I don't think I would have felt out of place wearing something a little dressy. I'm interviewing on the 14th so maybe I'll see you around. Good luck and have fun.

The way rotations works is you have certain core rotations you MUST complete in your third year. There is one open block (which you are encouraged to use for AHEC or OMM). OMM would be a good block to put in as prep for your COMLEX II PE exam - a kind of refresher. Your fourth year is really all scheduled as you wish. So you can do an EM rotation right after colloquim.

I wouldn't get too stuck on what you want to do - 80% of all med students change their minds from what they thought they'd be interested in when they entered med school. And there are plenty of other specialties that are very good for family life. Keep an open mind and you'll be happy.

Hahahahah I know, I always hear that. I always wanted to do surgery but that is a pretty malignant residency, and EM is really great for my personality and interests (constant change, excitement, desire to know a great deal about every body part, have many skills, raise a family, etc.).. I know it's very early and, statistically, the chances that I will change my mind are high, but I still want to know that my chances of going into EM aren't low due to the 3rd year curriculum. Thanks so much for your great advice!!! I really appreciate it :) and I will be sure to keep an open mind. When do students apply for residencies, third yr or fourth yr??

You apply for residencies the end of 3rd year, interview from about oct/nov - jan, match day is february for osteopathic, march for allopathic. And the "chances" of getting into ANY residency are absolutey NOT affected by your curriculum schedule. They're affected by your board scores and your grades. Most folks do rotations in the field of interest during interview season so they won't have to travel all over and take time away from rotations (thus possibly affecting their grade) to interview.

I can't even count the number of folks who thought a particular area of medicine was "great for me!" who now are in third year and said "yeah... um... no. I hated it."

Yeah I don't doubt that at all. I didn't say I was set on EM, but like I said, since that is what I am interested in now, I wouldn't want to know that I wouldn't be able to do it based on my third year curriculum and not having done an EM rotation. But you cleared that up for me when you said it really has nothing to do with your third year rotations so that's good to hear. :)

I'm sure a lot of people change their minds and I'm not saying that I won't. But I'm already engaged, getting married right after my first year of med school, and we don't want to wait an extraordinarily long time before having children so I would like to have my first while in residency, maybe after my intern year. And then when my children are very small, I may want to have the option of working part-time for a few years, and I know EM offers that. I'm a member of mommd.com and I have spoken to soooooo many women who say EM is the perfect specialty for mothers who really want to BE mothers. As attending EM physicians, they have the option of working PT, aren't on call much, can switch around shifts so as to be at children's recitals, things like that. I also want to feel very needed by my patients, and since surgery is something I was really interested in, but do not think I will pursue, as an EM physician I can still use my hands a lot and do some procedures, and I can literally save people's lives all the time (as opposed to FM, which is more family-friendly, where this isn't the norm, but is just as noble, of course). However, I was a psych/biopsych major and VP of my school's neuroscience club so maybe neurology will end up appealing to me, or even something completely different. So don't think I'm trying to sound like I know more than you, because you're the med student, you'd know best about this stuff (that's why I'm asking for your advice!!) but I just want to do some research on the field I am most interested in right now. But thanks so much for all your help; I really appreciate it.

To those who might have already heard, how long after the interview do you receive their decision ?? I interviewed last week, and am just curious when I should start staking out the mail box. Also, to those who interviewed, did you email thank you's to the interviewers or just the admissions people (Dean Kelley, and James Gaffney) ??

To those who might have already heard, how long after the interview do you receive their decision ?? I interviewed last week, and am just curious when I should start staking out the mail box. Also, to those who interviewed, did you email thank you's to the interviewers or just the admissions people (Dean Kelley, and James Gaffney) ??

I interviewed 9/30 and haven't heard anything yet...I was wondering the same. Someone interviewed mid-September but I haven't seen that they were accepted yet either. One person is listed as accepted, but I think they may have gotten in off last year's ASA list.

I think I remember that the committee was meeting yesterday for my group, so maybe I'll hear next week...?

I saw that they interview from September through April, but does anybody know if they have a "peak" interview season? In other words, do they really ramp it up in October/November, or some other period? This waiting game is horrible.

I saw that they interview from September through April, but does anybody know if they have a "peak" interview season? In other words, do they really ramp it up in October/November, or some other period? This waiting game is horrible.

I don't think they offer any more dates during a certain perdiod than another. They did say that right now they are open to more out of region people (on my interview day there was only 1 person from the region), but towards the end when they are trying to fill the class they will interview mostly new englanders.

I interviewed 9/30 and haven't heard anything yet...I was wondering the same. Someone interviewed mid-September but I haven't seen that they were accepted yet either. One person is listed as accepted, but I think they may have gotten in off last year's ASA list.

I think I remember that the committee was meeting yesterday for my group, so maybe I'll hear next week...?

What's the ASA list?

What's the ASA list?

Feel free to correct me anyone, but I think they over-filled the class last year and several applicants ended up on an accepted students list waiting for an actual seat to open up...some never got in last year, so perhaps they are extending offers now to those who didn't get seats.

Feel free to correct me anyone, but I think they over-filled the class last year and several applicants ended up on an accepted students list waiting for an actual seat to open up...some never got in last year, so perhaps they are extending offers now to those who didn't get seats.

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Hey everyone....I hope you get into UNECOM and decide to come to this school...we had our white coat ceremony last night and it was great. They did such a nice job!! And always our second year students are AWESOME!!! UNECOM is great......:welcome:

The ASA list stands for "As Space Available". The people on this list are basically on a high priority waitlist and as seats open up (i.e. people decline seats previously had a deposit put down on) the folks on the ASA list are given those seats. As a "high priority" list, they are given first refusal for next year's class if a seat doesn't open up for this year's class. So those folks that UNE is their first choice but who don't get an actual seat but are on the "high priority" list get a seat for next year's class if they are willing to wait a year.

UNE doesn't "over-fill" a class. This did happen at another school a couple of years ago where they accepted something like 150 people for 130 seats and they were offering to pay people for deferring a year. UNE never has more than 128 actual acceptances/offer to pay for deposits out at any one time.

Hey Petey, I just sent both of my thank yous in an envelope to the admissions office

I'm going to UNECOM for a campus visit on the 14th. Any advice on what to wear? I'll be shadowing a student, attending classes, and then meeting with someone from the admissions staff.

johnniewalker, I did a similar visit in august and treated it like an interview. I wore a suit and was able to speak with a lot of students etc. I got my interview invite a week later so it can't hurt to take it seriously!

The ASA list stands for "As Space Available". The people on this list are basically on a high priority waitlist and as seats open up (i.e. people decline seats previously had a deposit put down on) the folks on the ASA list are given those seats. As a "high priority" list, they are given first refusal for next year's class if a seat doesn't open up for this year's class. So those folks that UNE is their first choice but who don't get an actual seat but are on the "high priority" list get a seat for next year's class if they are willing to wait a year.

UNE doesn't "over-fill" a class. This did happen at another school a couple of years ago where they accepted something like 150 people for 130 seats and they were offering to pay people for deferring a year. UNE never has more than 128 actual acceptances/offer to pay for deposits out at any one time.

Thanks Shyrem! :thumbup:

Just a quick question. I live in Mass right now (and have my whole life), and my GF and I were looking to relocate to Maine or NH sometime relatively soon because we just love the area so much. I intend on applying to several DO schools (next cycle), with UNECOM obviously my first choice so that I could stay in the area, and because the school looks fantastic. Do you feel that I would have an advantage for applying in-state with regards to admissions if I lived in Maine? Good luck to all you interviewees!

UNE is not a state school nor do they receive any state funds, and as such there is no advantage being a Mainer. The only caveat to that would be if you wanted to become a FAME student - where you are a Maine resident and promise to go into family practice. As I was not a Maine resident at the time, my information here is somewhat limited, but I believe you get help with loans or get grants or something along those lines and you also get your first choice of rotation site come lottery time.

However, to answer your direct question, being a Maine resident would not necessarily help you gain admission to UNECOM. A good application and a good interview is all you need to gain admission. And a bit of luck.

Last edited:
Gotcha, thanks Shyrem. The FAME program sounds like an interesting idea, so I'll have to check more into that when app season comes around.

Has anyone heard back who interviewed in September? I am getting a little antsy! :rolleyes:

I broke down and emailed someone in admissions about when decisions will be made. This is the response I got:

I wish I were able to give you an indication when you might be hearing back from us. UNECOM's newly appointed Dean as also appointed a new Committee on Admissions. The Committee is still in its formative stage. I would hope that decisions can be reached and applicants notified by the end of this month.

Looks like we have a few more weeks to wait :rolleyes:

UNECOM is the only osteopathic program I haven't yet received a secondary from. I admit it's fallen down on my list due to the expense although I visited the area this summer and had a chat with the very nice secretary and thought it was a lovely place, but still: are they slow? should I call for an app? :confused:

UNECOM is the only osteopathic program I haven't yet received a secondary from. I admit it's fallen down on my list due to the expense although I visited the area this summer and had a chat with the very nice secretary and thought it was a lovely place, but still: are they slow? should I call for an app? :confused:

I thought they were fairly quick, so it might not hurt to give them a call to see what your status is.

I hadn't received a secondary from UNE after it had been a while since they had everything they needed so I emailed them and asked them and I got my secondary the next day. So I would definitely shoot them an email and ask about your status and to make sure they have everything they want.

Ha, I just got a letter in the mail from UNECOM explaining my app was put on hold because of my required course deficiencies (I'm taking physics now). Harumph. Plenty of other fish in the sea. :rolleyes:
Thanks for answering.

Status
Not open for further replies.