UNECOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
****. Undergrad biochem is 100% required for UNECOM?

Members don't see this ad.

100% required. They do have a distance learning course you can take over the summer before matriculation if you need.

100% required. They do have a distance learning course you can take over the summer before matriculation if you need.

LOL sounds terrible. So they won't hold it against me not having taken biochem though right? They'll just make me take it as a condition of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
portland is only 17 miles from Biddeford. You can easily live either place and comfortably commute if you're used to that (most Mainers think 17 miles is an unforgivable distance away from anything though).

Thanks to you and to everyone else who answered my questions! Now if only AACOMAS would verify my app... for the love of GOD, already... :laugh: maybe I could throw my hat in this ring.

LOL sounds terrible. So they won't hold it against me not having taken biochem though right? They'll just make me take it as a condition of acceptance?
Correct. Would help if you actually had it listed as "future courses" in your app, but they definitely won't hold it against you not having had it already. Most folks haven't actually finished the course (or started it sometimes) during app season.

can someone post the secondary essays, or at least a link to them? i cant seem to find them anywhere.

can someone post the secondary essays, or at least a link to them? i cant seem to find them anywhere.

List ALL the medical schools (osteopathic and allopathic) to which you have applied in the past and/or are applying to this admissions cycle. List each school/college on separate line and include month/year of application.

Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and what brought you to your decision to apply. Reflect on the type of physician you want to become, and how UNECOM can help you reach your potential.

Describe any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty members, or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

Reflect on your involvement in healthcare, research, clubs, and community organizations. In light of all these experiences, how would you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses in your preparation to study and practice osteopathic medicine?

Please share any additions or changes since submitting your AACOMAS application. Include academic recognition, research achievements and/or publications, presentations, promotions or changes in employment, recent leadership or volunteer service, etc.

Correct. Would help if you actually had it listed as "future courses" in your app, but they definitely won't hold it against you not having had it already. Most folks haven't actually finished the course (or started it sometimes) during app season.

Our initial review of your AACOMAS application indicates one or more deficiencies exist in meeting the prerequisite classes.

They sent that letter to me and said my application is on hold. Now I put on aacomas I'm completing all the normal prereqs by the end of this year so the problem must be with biochemistry. If they really offer biochem summer before matriculation what could the problem be?

God, me too, Nanon. You and I could be the resident old ladies :p
HOT old ladies of course :cool: Good luck
L.

Thanks to you and to everyone else who answered my questions! Now if only AACOMAS would verify my app... for the love of GOD, already... :laugh: maybe I could throw my hat in this ring.

They sent that letter to me and said my application is on hold. Now I put on aacomas I'm completing all the normal prereqs by the end of this year so the problem must be with biochemistry. If they really offer biochem summer before matriculation what could the problem be?
Write them and ask. I would also state in your email/letter that you would be happy to take the online course over the summer should you be accepted for admission.

List ALL the medical schools (osteopathic and allopathic) to which you have applied in the past and/or are applying to this admissions cycle. List each school/college on separate line and include month/year of application.

Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and what brought you to your decision to apply. Reflect on the type of physician you want to become, and how UNECOM can help you reach your potential.

Describe any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty members, or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

Reflect on your involvement in healthcare, research, clubs, and community organizations. In light of all these experiences, how would you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses in your preparation to study and practice osteopathic medicine?

Please share any additions or changes since submitting your AACOMAS application. Include academic recognition, research achievements and/or publications, presentations, promotions or changes in employment, recent leadership or volunteer service, etc.

cool, thanks, do you know if there is a character limit?

I don't think they hold applications for Biochem. It is only required to be completed prior to starting school....I did not have it done. I had only registered for the online class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Write them and ask. I would also state in your email/letter that you would be happy to take the online course over the summer should you be accepted for admission.

I just gave the admissions office a call. Apparently, unlike just about every single other medical school, the prereqs have to be COMPLETED prior to APPLYING. I am in the process of taking gen bio now, so they're not going to consider my application. ****.

I called today and they told me it's early in the cycle so I gotta wait 2-4 more weeks to hear something from them. I was complete in first week of july.

I just gave the admissions office a call. Apparently, unlike just about every single other medical school, the prereqs have to be COMPLETED prior to APPLYING. I am in the process of taking gen bio now, so they're not going to consider my application. ****.

what a waste of money.

Complete ALL pre-reqs BEFORE applying??? If that is really true (which I sincerely doubt), you're right - they'd be the only med school that has that policy, and it must be a very very new change. I can absolutely tell you that the policy in previous years has NOT been what you were told. However, if you're just taking gen bio NOW, the MCAT must'a been... interesting.

I think you do need to have the pre-reqs listed on your app that you are planning on taking them in the future. I'd call again and talk to someone other than a secretary.

Complete ALL pre-reqs BEFORE applying??? If that is really true (which I sincerely doubt), you're right - they'd be the only med school that has that policy, and it must be a very very new change. I can absolutely tell you that the policy in previous years has NOT been what you were told. However, if you're just taking gen bio NOW, the MCAT must'a been... interesting.

I think you do need to have the pre-reqs listed on your app that you are planning on taking them in the future. I'd call again and talk to someone other than a secretary.

I was apparently speaking to the assistant to the dean of admissions or something. She said there was a distinct difference between prerequesites (bio phys etc...) and pre-matriculation requirements (biochem). Prereqs have to be completed by the end of the fall semester.

As for the mcat, I studied my ass off over the summer, and I feel during the actual test anything I got wrong was not due to a lack of knowledge.

I had heard that as well....the prereqs were required to be completed and Biochem just complete prior to matriculation.

I just got a letter from Lisa Lane, Assistant Director of Admissions that I did not meet the minimum MCAT writing sample score. I had a K, and the min is a M. But I beat the min MCAT of 18 with a 30 and the min overall GPA of 2.7 with 3.72. Apparently, the writing score has equal weight with the other scores.

Any comments?

I just got a letter from Lisa Lane, Assistant Director of Admissions that I did not meet the minimum MCAT writing sample score. I had a K, and the min is a M. But I beat the min MCAT of 18 with a 30 and the min overall GPA of 2.7 with 3.72. Apparently, the writing score has equal weight with the other scores.

Any comments?

YEah I got a comment. They're a bunch of ass holes in the admissions office.

YEah I got a comment. They're a bunch of ass holes in the admissions office.

Agreed. Also, they can't be too bright. You have really good stats and should be competitive anywhere. To screen you out for getting a k on the writing sample is ridiculous. I guess someone with an 18M on the mcat and a 2.7 GPA is obviously more competitive than you. Try not to worry about it too much because with your stats you will surely get in somewhere. Good luck!!

Unfortunately, the minimum standards thing is becoming more common. An M isn't a really high minimum score to require on the writing portion. Many schools have a minimum standard for each section of the MCAT and the GPA (i.e. minimum of 7 on each section - so the person with an overall of 30 but with a 5 in one MCAT section would not make the minimum cut-offs).

We may not like it as applicants, but minimums exist at almost every med school in the US.

Last edited:
I wouldn't particularly want a doctor who got a k operating on me. But I would trust an m doctor with my life. Trust me, there is a huge difference there.

does anyone applying to have a connection or know someone affiliated with UNECOM? i don't know what to write for the secondary question that asks :

"Describe any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty members or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?"

anybody else struggling with this question?

does anyone applying to have a connection or know someone affiliated with UNECOM? i don't know what to write for the secondary question that asks :

"Describe any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty members or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?"

anybody else struggling with this question?

Use shyrem :thumbup:

I felt my ears burning. :)

You can definitely say you have had contact with anonymous current and past students of UNECOM through online forums. However, I said I didn't have any contact and I still got in.

Hey engineered out,

I'm assuming you got the same email as I did, as I'm lacking the biochem requirement too. It doesn't sound like they won't consider you without the course, just that you need to have it completed prior to July 2009:

"Please remember that UNECOM requires biochemistry to be completed prior to matriculation. If invited for a campus interview, confirmation of enrollment in a biochemistry course (during fall 2008 or spring 2009) will be requested at that time. If the Admissions Committee recommends acceptance, it will be offered on the condition that a biochemistry course be successfully completed prior to the start of classes in August 2009. One option for completing this biochemistry requirement is UNECOM's Distance Medical Biochemistry course. More information is available at http://distance.une.edu. Please know that not yet having completed biochemistry - as long as it is completed by July 2009 - does not have any adverse effect on your status."

So here's what I think we should do.. submit the secondary as usual, wait for an interview offer. If offered one, and assuming you want to go to UNE badly enough, enroll in a biochem class so you have the confirmation you enrolled. If you get rejected post interview, then withdraw from the course. An acceptance, you take the class.

Ah I just realized that you may be missing a different requirement besides biochem. That really wouldn't make any sense though, considering that a lot of premeds complete their prereqs during their senior year....:cool:

I thought this thread could use a little bump because I just got my first interview invite this morning from UNECOM!

I thought this thread could use a little bump because I just got my first interview invite this morning from UNECOM!

Lucky!!! I'm jealous, UNE is my top choice and as fate would have it basically the only school I haven't heard back from about an interview. What's a guys got to do to get an interview around here!!

Anyway, good luck with your interview. I hope it goes well for you!

I just got my interview scheduled for 10/24. Anyone else gonna be there? I have not taken biochem nor is is listed anywhere on my app as a future course. I take that to mean for admissions biochem isn't a big deal, just like they say.

I've read on sdn that unecom students must leave Maine for their clinical rotations and that you must set up your 4th year rotations yourself. Are these statements accurate? Can anyone help me out with some data that is not on the school website?

I just got the secondary, I am definitely using SDN as a contact but can I also call and request to speak to a student? has anyone actually tried that? thanx
I felt my ears burning. :)

You can definitely say you have had contact with anonymous current and past students of UNECOM through online forums. However, I said I didn't have any contact and I still got in.

I've read on sdn that unecom students must leave Maine for their clinical rotations and that you must set up your 4th year rotations yourself. Are these statements accurate? Can anyone help me out with some data that is not on the school website?
You do NOT "have" to leave Maine for rotations. third year rotations are by core site. There are several of these: three in Maine, and then others in NJ, PA, RI, NY, and they're looking at one in NH. All your third year core rotations are done at one core site, so you can settle into one place to live for an entire year and all rotations are within reasonable driving distance. There are a few exceptions: I think right now there is one six-week block in some of the southern Maine tracks that require you to go to PA for that block. I'm currently at a core site in Maine. Your fourth year rotations you set up on your own, which can actually be a huge plus - you can get your "face time" at a place you want an interview, and you can plan your rotations to be nearer your residency application places in case you get an interview. It allows a lot of freedom. Or you can get in with the local hospitals for your fourth year rotations. You just have to set it up.

I just got the secondary, I am definitely using SDN as a contact but can I also call and request to speak to a student? has anyone actually tried that? thanx
You can absolutely ask for current student contact. Admissions can help you with that. Generally the contact is via email (med students are freakishly busy folks and email is about the best way to guarantee a message). I did it for two years and usually responded the very same day to any request from a potential applicant. The email responses are not monitored, and most students will be very honest with you about what they like and what they'd change if only given the chance.

Last edited:
how early do students get patient/clinical exposure at UNECOM, first week of first yr? the website says the curriculum can change, it can be PBL, case based etc, how does that work? THANX in advance.

Last edited:
how early do students get patient/clinical exposure at UNECOM, first week of first yr? the website says the curriculum can change, it can be PBL, case based etc, how does that work? THANX in advance.

I'm sure a current student could better answer your question, but this is from their website:

Years 1 and 2 are augmented by a strong program in human behavior and community medicine in the Essentials of Osteopathic Medicine and Experiences in Doctoring courses. Through these courses the first two years, students observe and interact with patients through doctors' offices, nursing homes and local schools.

I am a current first year and had myh first preceptorship last week with a Physician and had a simulated patient experience today...(people hired to be patients.) Some of my classmates went out to preceptorships in August....I'd say that was fast. As for being a surgeon...it is all up to you where you go....

One more ques about UNECOM. I've seen where some schools test on conceptual stuff and in others, good memorization skills are needed because they test almost strictly rote memorization. What category does UNECOM fall into or is it an even mix?

-Well, that depends on who you ask...Class of 2010 had it different than 2011, and my class 2012 has it wayyyy different than those two since Gross is offered concurrently with all of the other standard didactic courses (Biochem, Physio, EOM, OPP, Embryo, Histo). So, there are efforts underway to make it all more integrated, and that will hopefully make things less memorization intensive and more conceptually intensive....but, its a change...and changes take time. Medical Education is serious business, and they don't make changes lightly. I trust that Class of 2013 will have a slightly different structure than we have currently...these questions are best asked during an interview.:D

I just got my invitation to interview for Oct. 14th. UNE is my top choice and the only interview I've received. I couldn't ask for much more! Is anyone else interviewing 10/14?

For those getting interviews, when did you submit secondary apps? Just trying to get a feel for how far back I am on the review list.

I submitted my secondary on 9/5 so it took 3 weeks for the interview invite to come but my friend who's applying to UNE has had his file complete for over a month and hasn't heard anything. So I think it's pretty random.

I submitted my secondary and lor super late at night on 9/14 and was complete the next day. I didn't pay until 9/17 and I got my invite on 9/18. I had to push back my date because of vacation.

It looks random to me!

Hey everyone,
I am a second year student and
I just wanted to throw this out there:

I really like UNECOM. It has been great so far and I feel that my teachers, the community, and the students make this a great place to get one's medical education. IT is hard but there are also lots of outside school opportunities in Maine as we are the only medical school here.
I am working at a free clinic, shadowing a DO EM attending at a big awesome hospital near by, working a little with Lifeflight, attending Maine Medical Board meetings, participating in awesome clubs, etc, etc.

The OMM dept. is also really good and professional.

My classmates rock.

Anyhow, consider this school. I doubt you would regret it.

BTW, the admissions dept, are not "a-holes". In fact, they are particularly good from what most have said. I got my interview quickly after the secondary, was told I was in shortly after, and treated kindly the whole time.

As far as Biochem. It has always been in the past that you only had to have completed the course before showing up to start school in August.

Writing grades? I am surprised anyone looks at these. I got an "M' on the mcat but got a "6" (OUT OF 6) on the GRE and I know for a fact that I can write. I think MCAT and all schools should drop this crap. I am pretty sure they did not read mine and gave me a bad grade because I have crazy handwriting.
d

ps. engineer: "YEah I got a comment. They're a bunch of ass holes in the admissions office." Maybe you should hold off on showing your immaturity on a website that many admissions offices do look at.

Last edited:
BTW, the admissions dept, are not "a-holes". In fact, they are particularly good from what most have said. I got my interview quickly after the secondary, was told I was in shortly after, and treated kindly the whole time.

Ditto. I'm a current applicant (just sent in my secondary today) and I have nothing but good things to say about the admissions office.

Honestly, if there's one thing I've found out during this process, it's how accommodating most -- if not all -- the admissions offices are. I have yet to talk to someone who wasn't nice and extremely helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.