UNECOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all- First off, I am not a UNECOM student, but am a undergrad (senior) at UNE who has worked closely with UNECOM MSI and II students over the years. Just wanted to let you all know that if you have any general questions about housing, etc., I would be happy to point you in the right direction if you PM me. Congrats to all with acceptances/interviews...UNECOM is an awesome school:)

Members don't see this ad.

i was just wondering, does UNECOM send out rejection letters throughout the cycle to applicants who have not interviewed or does it get sent out all at once at the end of the cycle?

i took pietachok's advice and called this morning to see the status of my application. i was complete 10/28 and haven't heard anything since. the very nice lady on the phone told me i should hear something within a few weeks because the admissions committee will be meeting again soon. she was totally close-mouthed (understandably) when i tried to get her to be more specific about my application (i.e. if i was put on hold or something). anyway, do any of you have any idea what this could mean?

btw, congrats on your decision pietachok! i bet you feel a lot more relieved. i'm sure UNECOM will not disappoint you :thumbup:

Anyone else interviewing next Thursday?? I'm getting pretty excited over here, and am loving this "contact with a current student" deal. Every school should be so kind!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if anyone has a sense of how many interview spots remain? I just finalized my secondary today (I know, late!) Not sure how my chances are at this stage.

I'm from New England, 3.36 cum GPA, 3.56 science GPA, 35N MCAT. Pretty standard volunteer, research, shadowing etc.

I was wondering if I could get any input from current UNECOM students. I just received a letter from the school talking about an event named Osteoblast. What is this event/what does it entail? Thanks for the help!

I was wondering if I could get any input from current UNECOM students. I just received a letter from the school talking about an event named Osteoblast. What is this event/what does it entail? Thanks for the help!
Osteoblast is a chance to meet other accepted students and current first and second years. The clubs and organizations on campus also set-up booths and provide some info about their groups or have activities set up such as casting and use of surgical instruments. Last year there was a chance to win multiple prizes and we received t-shirts and other goodies! I highly recommend going to the event as it was a great opportunity to meet some future classmates in a fun and relaxing environment.

Not to sound co-dependent, but can I bring my boyfriend? :p Meaning, is it something people bring parents/sig others to or would that be awkward?

Thanks!!

I just got an interview invite for March, so take that to mean the class isn't full yet. Anyway, I don't think I'm going to go.

I'm going to an interview on Feb 12th and I'm feeling MUCH better about it after reading all your replies on here. Thank you!! :)

I think my biggest worry is that from an academic standpoint I'm pretty weak (let's not go into my sci. GPA...) but it seems that if they invite you for an interview they're looking much more into personality than anything else. Seems they saw past the grades to the fact that I was doing 60-80hrs of extracurrics while being a biochem major doing 19 credits eh? :)

Question: Does anyone know more information about the MMEL program? On certain pages on the website it looks like a concurrent program like the MPH program while in many locations it lists the MPH program as the only concurrent program. Has it even had a full semester yet or is it kicking off for 2009-2010? I really love UNECOM but have always wanted a DO/MBA or something with an administration slant... it seems one of the certificate programs related to the MMEL program might be close...?

you've gotten past the numbers if you have an interview.....trust me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview invite for March, so take that to mean the class isn't full yet. Anyway, I don't think I'm going to go.

The class may be full. UNECOM routinely has enough acceptances to fill the class by this time in the year. People accepted after the class is full are put on the, "accepted-space available list" basically- the wait list. Don't lose hope however- people are accepted off the wait list as offers from other schools come in and people change their minds. Your best bet at getting a firm acceptance is to have a strong application and apply early. Application timing is key!

Just wondering if anyone knows the makeup of each entering class (ie/ online it says that the average entering class is 27 years old.) It also mentions that many of the matriculants have a master's degree. Does this mean that it is uncommon for an applicant to matriculate after 4th year university (who is only 22-23)? I appreciate any input.

The average age varies year to year but I had quite a number of people in their early and mid 20's in my class. They kept the party going!

I just got my acceptance to UNECOM. I also have an acceptance to NOVA. I liked UNECOM a lot when I was up there...the community, people, small, New England feeling, and the scenery...but I've been in Manhattan for years now, and I was originally from California (although I lived in New England long enough to have my cold winters), I'm finding it hard to go with my gut and take UNECOM over NOVA, and I think it's just based on the warmth and sunlight. I'm 28, and I think that's kind of embarrassing as far as ways to pick a med school. NOVA felt like an infomercial, but so many people on SDN seem excited about it.

Is there anybody at UNECOM who can really help me outline the big differences *in the education/school* that helped them choose? Or anybody else making the same decision?

1) NOVA does prosection only...UNECOM does full dissection, correct?
2) UNECOM is system based, and NOVA isn't, but it's interdisciplinary and being changed.
3)UNECOM has really good matches, and they seem to be at better institutions, but maybe the names just sound "better" to me because they are in a region I am more familiar with...
4)the patient population lacks diversity at UNECOM
5)Neither has much research, but I think UNECOM has less...
argh...
any help would be sooo very appreciated, my non-refundable NOVA deposit is due on december 28th.

1. UNECOM Anatomy does full dissection (4 students per cadaver) and also has pro-sections for students to use - amazing anatomy lab- lots of natural light and good air circulation

2. Systems based for the most part during 2nd year.

3. UNECOM has good matches although it's generally harder to match at competative MD residencies such as ortho, optho, derm, ENT, rads, etc. coming from a DO background- one should be aware of this if they plan to pursue MD residencies in those fields. NOVA grads run into the same biases.

4. Diversity in patient population really doesn't matter much during the first 2 years as your interactions with patients will be limited until your clinical years- year 3 and 4. However, Maine does have a large underserved patient population that you will be exposed to during your training. 3rd year training opportunities include places like Newark, NJ and Providence, RI where one can get more than enough experience with diverse patient loads (if you mean racial diversity).

5. There are ample opportunities for both clinical and basic science research at UNECOM. The basic research is limited to a number of fields but anyone who wants the opportunity to participate may- and get published too!

This might be a stupid question, but can you do rotations anywhere? I have family in Hanover, NH that I could stay with so could I do a few rotations at Dartmouth or not?

You can do 4th year rotations pretty much anywhere they will take you...Dartmouth, St.Vincents, etc.

Good luck to everyone applying to UNECOM this year and congratulation to those with acceptances!!

And as for interviewing if the "class is full".... UNE is NOT like places such as VCU, who only have exactly as many acceptances given out as they have seats. UNE typically will have more acceptances than seats as many people have more than one acceptance and choose later (or get another acceptance later and ditch their previous ones). We have a guy in my class who got in literally the first day of classes... threw his stuff in his car and came up for the afternoon without a place to live yet.

I'd say a good 30% of the class gets in off the "waitlist". Don't count UNE out just because you think the class may be full.

I would like to know if any current UNCECOM student or acceptee can tell me about the FinAid process @ UNECOM. i.e. when can I expect to hear about any scholarships or award packages if I choose to matriculate there?

I have paid the initial deposit, so they know I am partly committed to the school. Would letting the school know I am fielding multiple offers be of any use to me in this process? I really enjoyed UNECOM but the price is a factor in where I decide to go.

Thank you for the assistance.

You would best ask the current administration this question. They have been playing with dates lately.....

I just got a UNECOM rejection letter today(?). I was fairly surprised by this because by stats are solid (3.6/31, and I lived in NH for 11 years before going to college).

I guess I was expecting at least an interview invite...

Last edited:
They tend to look for more than stats. And whether you have ties to NE doesn't really matter. You have a better statistical chance of getting in as a non-NE person than as a NE person.

They tend to look for more than stats. And whether you have ties to NE doesn't really matter. You have a better statistical chance of getting in as a non-NE person than as a NE person.

What - really? Wasn't this the school that had a whole seperate essay devoted to detailing your ties to New England? On top of that, I'm currently an Ohio resident anyway, so I figure I would have had that "out-of-region" edge too...hmmm.

I guess I'm just a bit perturbed because this is the DO school closest to my parents and I figured I had a decent shot at getting into it. It's also the only DO school I've applied to thus far that has rejected me outright, which surprises me a bit. Perhaps it was because I applied too late, but then again they sure took their time getting me their secondary - I cleared AACOMAS in late August and I didn't even get their secondary till late October. They also gave me the whole "you can't apply until you've finished biochem" line...and I was taking biochem last semester, so maybe that played into it. Bah.

At least I have other acceptances, but it sure would have been nice to be closer to my family.

So sorry to hear about your bad news doz. You're still way better off than me (sans acceptances anywhere), so be glad you're definitely on your way to becoming a doctor.

Anyone else get letters today?

Sorry, doz. Sometimes med school admissions seem like it's just a monkey standing at the top of a staircase throwing files towards a bulls-eye target... whatever makes it in the middle gets accepted. At least that's what I thought when I was applying everywhere.

Give 'em a call and ask why you got rejected. You have nothing to lose.

sorry to hear about that, doz. but, it's true, at least you have an acceptance so it lightens the load. you're going to be a doctor no matter what! (more than i can say for myself right now) do you mind if i ask when your file was complete there?

i called beginning of this month and asked them about my file (i was complete 10/28) and they said i should hear something in a few weeks since the adcom will be meeting. i haven't heard anything yet...but i live in Texas so maybe that fateful letter is still on its way :scared:

Hey Everyone,

I'm a current fourth year at UNECOM. I'm selling my OMT table and I hope one of you can make great use of it. It is a StrongLite OMT version. This is not a massage table but a table specifically designed for OMT(thinner, firm foam for high velocity, low amplitude techniques). It is in perfect condition. It includes a carrying case and folds for easy transport. It will make your life so much easier when studying for OMT tests. I initially paid over $500.00 for it, but I am selling it for $275.00. Please email me at [email protected] if you would like to see pictures or have any questions.

Feel free to email me any other UNECOM questions as well.

Thanks!

Adam

Last edited:
Clinical rotations are great! So much better than sitting in a classroom everyday. Setting up 4th year stuff is easy as long as you do it early. I've been all over the place, in some huge hospitals and I always felt prepared and up to par with all the other medical students, including some from some big name allopathic schools.

I am doing IM next year. I have prematched(awesome thing to do if you can) at a great program. PM me if you want the details.

Good luck next year!

i got a rejection letter today too. no blow to the ego here. already going to PCOM and had several interview invites. congrats to those who were accepted and goodluck to those waiting. this process can be a little overwhelming at times!

Could anyone who has taken the distance biochem course give me an idea of how much work it entailed? ie, how many hours a week did you spend on it? Thanks!

Tomorrow is the two-weeks-post-interview mark for me. Is it between 2-4 weeks that people usually hear, or did I just make that up? Guhhh so nervous.

Tomorrow is the two-weeks-post-interview mark for me. Is it between 2-4 weeks that people usually hear, or did I just make that up? Guhhh so nervous.

They do say 2-4, you didn't make it up, but mine took more like 6 weeks to get here. Maybe they have the system going more smoothly now and you'll get your letter tomorrow, BUT if a few more weeks go by with no letter that is not evidence that they don't like you. :)

Could anyone who has taken the distance biochem course give me an idea of how much work it entailed? ie, how many hours a week did you spend on it? Thanks!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7548328&postcount=295

An earlier post of mine on this topic is above. I took the class last summer; the time required varied from week to week. I finished well within the time alloted, working 8-10 hours a week on it, I suppose? PM me if you want more info.

I got an interview for the 12th of March... Hopefully I can call and get an earlier date ..... also they said i didnt finish bio chem.... even though i graduated bu with a degree in bio chem and molecular biology -_-

Hello, all:

Thanks, all, for the time you spend posting here! This is my first post, and I look forward to the conversation!

I'm a recent graduate with an undergrad degree in journalism. Various events have led to a change of focus, and my return to school part-time taking the necessary pre-med courses.

Currently I live near Portland, Maine, and hope to enroll at UNECOM in the next year or two.

As such, since I'm nearby, I'd love to meet up with a current UNECOM student for coffee. My treat, of course! I'm just looking to talk with someone about the process, and about their experiences.

If you happen to be a current student, PM me!

Thank you!

Just joined the facebook group:)! This is all of a sudden getting very real...

I GOT IN I GOT IN I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joy-tears!!!!!

5. There are ample opportunities for both clinical and basic science research at UNECOM. The basic research is limited to a number of fields but anyone who wants the opportunity to participate may- and get published too!

Agreed. You can easily find research if your motivated and interested. I did research into balance training devices during my third year of medical school. The person I worked with told me she was always looking for people to do research with her. In fact, she told me when I was done with residency that I should look her up, as we may be able to collaborate on some additional stuff.

Wook

Wook, how did you go about finding a research project?

Wook, how did you go about finding a research project?

I spoke to the person in charge of the Dean's Fellowship Scholarship (they provide funds for research). She gave me a list of name of people involved in research on site, and I spoke with several of them to find out what they currenlty had going and if they wanted any assistance. I chose to work with Dr. Quick, as she was working on research that was interesting to me (and that I had some experience with).

I can't recall the person's name right now with whom I spoke, but you could probably speak to the RSAS (I think that's their name now) or the academic dean to find out who the point of contact is for the Dean's Fellowship Scholarship (or some name like that)...that person should be able to hook you up with some of the research there.

If you are not successful, please let me know. I'll contact some of the folks that I know over there and get you a name.

Wook

Hello,
I was just invited for an interview March 17th - I didn't think they were giving them out anymore...Is there any sense of whether or not this is an interview for the waitlist?
Good luck to all those waiting to hear! :luck:

Congrats on the interview invite! I don't think UNECOM has a wait list specifically. Rather, they have a catagory called "Accepted pending space" or something like that. What that translates too is that you are accepted to the class if there is space for you (ie someone who was accepted before you decides not to go there). If no spot opens up, you are gaurenteed a spot in the next years class. At least that is the impression I got. Good luck and congrats again!:)

So, I've submitted my FAFSA, what happens next in the financial aid process?

streaming of lectures isn't available at unecom, right?

To those of you who are asking about interviewing in March and if it's "accepted pending space" etc.

I wouldn't cancel your spot, even though one person said the class is traditionally "full" at this point in the year. I am holding one of those UNECOM seats, but might give it up shortly, and have met several people who might do the same. I bet the class fills up but then sees a lot of movement. When I interviewed at NYCOM, I met others with a deposit at UNECOM to whom NYCOM just took much longer to respond.

Personally, I've received 5 interview invitations in the last 2 weeks, so, if I'm any indicator...you should keep your hopes up that spaces will open up in the "full" class due to such offers.

...Now i have to figure out if I want to pay my deposit at NYCOM or not, ARGH.

Status
Not open for further replies.