UNECOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I was wondering how long it take the school to reply you back if you gonna be invited for interview or not after your application file is complete?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those of you who are asking about interviewing in March and if it's "accepted pending space" etc.

I wouldn't cancel your spot, even though one person said the class is traditionally "full" at this point in the year. I am holding one of those UNECOM seats, but might give it up shortly, and have met several people who might do the same. I bet the class fills up but then sees a lot of movement. When I interviewed at NYCOM, I met others with a deposit at UNECOM to whom NYCOM just took much longer to respond.

Personally, I've received 5 interview invitations in the last 2 weeks, so, if I'm any indicator...you should keep your hopes up that spaces will open up in the "full" class due to such offers.

...Now i have to figure out if I want to pay my deposit at NYCOM or not, ARGH.

I was holding a UNECOM seat and I just withdrew, so for those of you worrying about there not being a space, you should still interview! As people are accepted elsewhere, some will relinquish their seats, so the "full" class is actually a pretty dynamic thing, right up until classes start. Then there will be additional movement after May 15th when the wait-lists begin moving.

We had one person accepted literally first day off the waitlist. He got the call at 8:30 that morning, threw his stuff in his car and drove to Maine. Someone offered him a couch until he found a place to live. He ended up being one of the top students. Really nice guy. So there's hope for everyone on the waitlist. :)

How have people been hearing back about acceptance/rejection after interview, and how long has it been taking? Is there an email or only snail mail? I interviewed 2/10, don't really have any clue how well it went, and the suspense is killing me!!

At the beginning of the process it took them a while (6-7 weeks) to get back to all of us, but I think the process is moving smoother now. They told us within 4 weeks (so usually that means exactly 4 weeks). They send acceptances in these tiny envelopes that look exactly like the rejection letters! I called them and bothered the admissions office until they told me I got in. While they probably would prefer anyone to wait, I would suggest you call them if it is really killing you. Good luck!:)

I interviewed 2/10, and admissions office told me today that my letter went out last Friday. Oh my god holy hell. Its gotta be arriving today. Good lord, this is my top choice! Lord have mercy on my soul.

So does anyone know how full the class is?

I was complete Jan 15 and I'm still "under review". it would be good to know whether I'm gonna be invited or not! 3.8 GPA, 25Q

I am not sure? I have been complete since November 30 with 3.8 GPA and 26MCAT and still haven't heard anything! Its very frustrating!

I got an email earlier and got so excited!

But it was just the stupid newsletter :(

Just wondering if there is a break between the end of second year and the beginning of third year? I think we are supposed to take the boards in June, but do rotations start right after or do we have some time?

Last year classes ended the end of May. You MUST take boards no later than June 30 (and last year when we signed up the last date offered was June 20 - they ended up adding dates through the end of June later, but changing dates is a game of Russian roulette as you have to cancel your original date first and then you can see if the date you want is available). Rotations start Aug 1 or so.

Basically you get about a month to either relax or stress about board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview on 03/12 hopefully there are spots left.... UNECOM is my top choice... so far I have been accepted to LECOM and TouroCOM ..... 1.5 hours from boston would be nice though

I'm just wondering how many people still have interviews. I was late in getting my secondary in, it was complete Jan 5th and I called yesterday and they have not reviewed it. They said it will get reviewed at the end of March with the remaining applications. ARGH! I am frustrated with myself that I waited so long to get it in, and this is currently my first choice. Any advice, suggestions. I am also not in the new england area so that is against me :(

I have an interview on 03/12 hopefully there are spots left.... UNECOM is my top choice... so far I have been accepted to LECOM and TouroCOM ..... 1.5 hours from boston would be nice though

When were you complete?

Anyone hear anything new from UNECOM? I'm still waiting for the end of March. . . I sent a letter updating my activities and reaffirming my interest in their school yesterday. Hope it helps.

How full is the class?
When do they stop interviewing?

They told me they had about 30 spots left and that they were interviewing through April when I called last week.

Anyone else hear anything else?

They have a lot of waitlist movement typically. Don't go off the deep end just 'cuz you think there's only 30 spots left.

Do you know how many people got on the wait list in the past, approximately? I know some of the DO's have tons of movement past 5/15 like Touro NV, so just trying to get an idea.

Also on the web page it said that a couple of years ago they had 2700 completed secondaries, and this year when I asked they stated that they had a little over 1200. So hopefully that's a good sign for those of us still waiting to be reviewed.

Im sure there is wait list movement every year. As for the completed secondaries for this year, I think I remember them saying that last year they issued 2,700 secondary applications and received around 1,200 completed secondary applications (I think that was on an admissions during the interview presentation). If that is the case, it sounds like they are pretty much on track with last year in terms of application numbers.

In any event, hang tough! Every medical school class has people in it that were admitted late in the cycle. Good luck! :)

Has anyone heard anything from UNECOM lately? I'm still anxiously waiting, while schools I applied to months later are giving me interviews.

Has anyone heard anything from UNECOM lately? I'm still anxiously waiting, while schools I applied to months later are giving me interviews.

Have you interviewed yet? If not, then I'd probably call them and see the status of your app.

Does anyone know how long after an interview does it take to hear from the school and how they notify the applicant?

I called last week and they still have not reviewed my app which was complete on Jan 5th. They said it should be done near the end of March so I'm getting optimistic and hoping they get it done sooner ;) I have not interviewed and hope to get the opportunity during April.

Did you interview and when?

Have you interviewed yet? If not, then I'd probably call them and see the status of your app.

Does anyone know how long after an interview does it take to hear from the school and how they notify the applicant?

They say that it should take around 4 weeks to hear back from them. The decision comes by snail mail and is just one sheet of paper (no big packet or anything). If 4 weeks passes and there is no news then give them a call. I was told about my acceptance over the phone. Good luck:D

at osteoblast last week they said they had about 75 deposits, so more acceptances are out there and definitely more to come for you guys waiting!

I called Admissions today and they said that the class is about 1/2 full and they'll be interviewing throughout April.

I've been complete since the beginning of January and haven't heard from them at all; so hopefully there'll be interview invites for those waiting soon! :D

Did you interview and when?

Yeah, I interviewed on 3/12.

They say that it should take around 4 weeks to hear back from them. The decision comes by snail mail and is just one sheet of paper (no big packet or anything). If 4 weeks passes and there is no news then give them a call. I was told about my acceptance over the phone. Good luck:D

Thanks Tuckermans, For the next three weeks, the mailman will be my most important person. Gee, I hope my wife doesn't read this forum.:scared:

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten any news lately? I think I'm going to call them today to see if the status of my app has changed.

Complete on Jan. 15, 3.3 GPA, 34 MCAT, still under review :(

YAY I got my interview invite this morning!!!!!!!!!

Interview on 2 April in the afternoon!!! (Is anyone else interviewing then too?)

(Quite Excited)
:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Called, still under review and the admissions committee is meeting on Thursday. Hopefully we'll all get some good news then, this has been a long wait. I have been complete since 1/5

I too interviewed 3/12 and am waiting for the response. Committee meeting Thursday-hopefully means a decision next week sometime...

So those of you that interviewed are you from the new england area? I'm wondering if they screen and interview those before the out of area ones.

I guess I'm just trying to find some logic to why I'm still waiting when I have been complete for almost 3 months. . . it's crazy.

I'm in the same boat as you. I was complete 1/6 and haven't heard back.

So those of you that interviewed are you from the new england area? I'm wondering if they screen and interview those before the out of area ones.

I guess I'm just trying to find some logic to why I'm still waiting when I have been complete for almost 3 months. . . it's crazy.

I'm glad it's not just me then :)

:luck: Here's to hoping we hear soon!

In response to your post...I was complete mid-Jan and received invite like 1-2 weeks later. I am from Mass.

random question: does anyone happen to have a class/curriculum schedule for years 1 and 2 at UNECOM? i cant seem to find anything like this on the website - only the classes you take each year, course descriptions and how many credits they're worth.

Congratulations to everybody who has already been accepted and good luck to all of you who are in the application process. I was in your shoes last year and I feel your pain. UNECOM is a great school and I don’t say that just because I decided to go there. The faculty and staff are super nice and supportive. I would choose UNECOM any day over any other school but it fits me and it may not fit you.

Typical schedule for this year’s first year class (class of 2012):

Mondays:
8-12: Anatomy (Mandatory attendance for lab)
1-3: Physiology
3-5: Biochemistry

Tuesdays:
9-12: OMM*
1-3: Histology
3-5: Embryology

Wednesdays:
9-12: EOM* (Essentials of Osteopathic Medicine (intro. To physical examinations & medical humanities))
1-5: Histology Lab (students are split into groups for 1.5 hour long lab period (3-groups total))

Thursdays:
10-12: Biochemistry
1-5: Clinical Site Experience* (i.e. shadowing, frequency: approx. once a month; If you are not scheduled for that week it's “free” time).

Fridays:
8-12: Anatomy (Mandatory attendance for lab)
1-3: Physiology

Please note that this is a TYPICAL week for OUR class and may or may not change for the future incoming classes. Near the exam week everything changes and we have more "free" time to study in the afternoons.

One interesting thing about our schedule is that every 6th or 7th week we have all of our exams in one week (practical exams Tuesday-Thursday and written for all classes on Friday). The upside is that during the first couple of weeks after the exams you have more “free” time and need to study less, the downside is that during the last couple of weeks before the exams you have NO free time and is all studying.

Study time varies on individual basis, I typically study about 2 hours/day on weekdays and 4-5 hours/day on the weekends. Others do more and some do less!

You have 24/7 access to all labs (Histology, Anatomy and OMM) so it’s totally up to you how much, when and where you want to study.

* Indicates Mandatory Attendance, although I personally attend all classes, there are some folks who do not.

This is from earlier in this thread. I think this is about first year only, but I hope this helps!

thanks! i saw that previous post and its definitely helpful. i was thinking something more along the lines of a blocked schedule showing when each course begins and ends throughout the first year - anything like this out there?

Called, still under review and the admissions committee is meeting on Thursday. Hopefully we'll all get some good news then, this has been a long wait. I have been complete since 1/5

So they're still giving out interviews? Did anyone hear after the adcom meeting yesterday?

Congratulations!!! When is your interview?

12 March.

edit to include the following:

Is there a difference between a "waitlist" and the "ASA list?"

Yes. both mean that you are in line, and ASA (Accept-Space Available) simply means that you are towards the front of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.