UNECOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ahh the joys of having everything in for weeks and just waiting on one letter writer to send it in already. I would have thought 8 months notice would be enough to get something written in time, but alas I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

ahh the joys of having everything in for weeks and just waiting on one letter writer to send it in already. I would have thought 8 months notice would be enough to get something written in time, but alas I am wrong.

Same boat over here! My secondary has been complete and paid for since June but the letter process is molasses.

If it's a professor, talking with the secretary (and sharing a nice piece of chocolate) does wonders.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary yesterday - not sure I like their system with no confirmation of submission or the fact that re-logging does nothing but reopen the app

Submitted secondary yesterday - not sure I like their system with no confirmation of submission or the fact that re-logging does nothing but reopen the app

Actually, I received an e-mail from them saying they had received my secondary and reminding me that I still needed to submit LORs to be reviewed. I think I may not have received the e-mail until after I had paid the fee though... but I can't remember.

Yah I got an app complete email the next day even though they haven't gotten my fee

I am confused about a portion of the secondary. In the text box for the first LOR author info, I am inputting info about my pre-professional health advisor which is also the author of my committee letter... but it asks for the degree?? :scared: Does this matter in the case of non-professors and non-physicians? I live on the west coast and it has been hard to call before they close...Has anybody run into this problem?

They received my LOR's last week on the 17th, so it looks like its about a week turnaround time. I'm from New England, so that might be a variable too.

They received my LOR's last week on the 17th, so it looks like its about a week turnaround time. I'm from New England, so that might be a variable too.

I was complete on 7/9 and still haven't heard anything from them :(
Maybe it's because I'm not from the northeast?

That's funny, you and I seem to be on the same schedule. I didn't want to post that they had only gotten my letters last week to protect anonymity but now I'm not worried.

That is a possibility. It also could just be that tman and I were lucky and got our files complete at the right time, or ended up on the right person's desk. This whole process is kinda crazy sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)

Doubtful. I was from Colorado when I applied, complete early, and had an invite for September. Accepted by 10/1.

Perhaps your app just didn't scream "interview me FIRST!!! I'm PERFECT FOR YOU!!!". Doesn't mean you won't hear from them later.

Why are people so willing to put blame on anything other than their app for no early interview invite?

If we haven't received a secondary invite after sending transcripts/AACOMAS back in June and MCAT scores a few weeks ago (from July 8 test date), does this mean we've been screened?

Not necessarily. They've likely already received hundreds of apps. They may not have gotten to yours yet if you just took the MCAT in July. Patience. They'll let you know when they have an answer for you.

Doubtful. I was from Colorado when I applied, complete early, and had an invite for September. Accepted by 10/1.

Perhaps your app just didn't scream "interview me FIRST!!! I'm PERFECT FOR YOU!!!". Doesn't mean you won't hear from them later.

Why are people so willing to put blame on anything other than their app for no early interview invite?

Well I figured it might be because I'm not from the northeast because I think I have pretty solid application. My MCAT is quite competitive, My c & u GPA are high, i have an MS with a 4.0 GPA, great LORs, lots of clinical experience and I doubt there is anything wrong with my secondary essays. I know we're not guaranteed interviews but I've gotten an early interview invite to practically all the schools I've applied to so far. So the only thing I can think of is my state of residence.

hey how long after you guys were considered "complete" did you here of an interview invite? i have an mcat score showing and one pending, so im not sure if they will interview me anyways.

Not necessarily. They've likely already received hundreds of apps. They may not have gotten to yours yet if you just took the MCAT in July. Patience. They'll let you know when they have an answer for you.

Haha, I guess you're right. I was just worried because I haven't received any acknowledgement of receiving even the primary, let alone MCAT or LORs, so I was starting to wonder if I did everything right. I guess they don't even look at anything until MCAT scores are in then?

weird, I just got an email from them reminding me to fill out the secondary, which I didn't because they initially said one of my classes might not fulfill the requirements. I've never heard of a school doing this since they get so many applications. For those of you who really want to go here- why? I'm debating whether or not to bother sending the secondary. Thanks :)

weird, I just got an email from them reminding me to fill out the secondary, which I didn't because they initially said one of my classes might not fulfill the requirements. I've never heard of a school doing this since they get so many applications. For those of you who really want to go here- why? I'm debating whether or not to bother sending the secondary. Thanks :)

I liked UNE a lot when I interviewed there last year. I'm glad I have the opportunity to do it again this year. Overall the school felt very collegial and everyone was extremely nice and all of the students seemed happy. The schools facilities are awesome, besides the fact that it is very much a part of UNE's undergraduate campus. The biggest drawback for this school is the price. Graduates have the highest debt load of any med school in the country. With this, if I get into another school, it would be hard justifying the added cost of UNE. Plus the location can either be seen as awesome or awful depending on your point of view. It's right on the ocean, which makes it awesome, but it's in Maine, and Biddeford is not exactly a happening place. But it is within driving distance of some cities and not too far from Boston, either by driving or the Amtrak downeaster...not that in med school it will really matter how glamorous the nightlife is, as simple bar will probably be sufficient, but you are living there for 2 years. UNE's rotation sites are all over the place, like many of the DO schools, but they're mostly in the northeast including New England and New Jersey(some scary parts ie. Newark).

Me too, I got the same email today. I thought their secondary is a little long (4 questions and 2000 characters each)

I liked UNE a lot when I interviewed there last year. I'm glad I have the opportunity to do it again this year. Overall the school felt very collegial and everyone was extremely nice and all of the students seemed happy. The schools facilities are awesome, besides the fact that it is very much a part of UNE's undergraduate campus. The biggest drawback for this school is the price. Graduates have the highest debt load of any med school in the country. With this, if I get into another school, it would be hard justifying the added cost of UNE. Plus the location can either be seen as awesome or awful depending on your point of view. It's right on the ocean, which makes it awesome, but it's in Maine, and Biddeford is not exactly a happening place. But it is within driving distance of some cities and not too far from Boston, either by driving or the Amtrak downeaster...not that in med school it will really matter how glamorous the nightlife is, as simple bar will probably be sufficient, but you are living there for 2 years. UNE's rotation sites are all over the place, like many of the DO schools, but they're mostly in the northeast including New England and New Jersey(some scary parts ie. Newark).

Thanks for the info! I didn't know most of that. Maybe I'll just send in the secondary and see where things go from there.

i decided im gonna do the 6 hour drive to the interview here. anyone have any recommendations what hotel i should stay at?

i decided im gonna do the 6 hour drive to the interview here. anyone have any recommendations what hotel i should stay at?

Sleepy Hollow Motel ftw. $50/night, right in downtown Biddeford. It's not the Ritz, but it'll work for what you're trying to do.

Interview for September 16!!!!!!

Stats:
MCAT 24 (8 in each section)
GPA 3.6
Re-applicant
Non-trad student
App complete on 6/20
Texas resident
RN and EMT-I
Faculty member for school of nursing

Can't wait to see the area!!

Is biochemistry required as a prerequisite for this school?

Sleepy Hollow Motel ftw. $50/night, right in downtown Biddeford. It's not the Ritz, but it'll work for what you're trying to do.

I am staying at the Hampton Inn. Call the hotel for the UNECOM discount.
$79/night with WiFi and full breakfast included

Hampton Inn @ Saco (2 miles from downtown Biddeford)
207-282-7222

If you are interviewing on Sept 16 see you there!!!

Good luck!!

Traitor, Bradtech, out of curiosity, what time is your interview? I'm on the 30th and was wondering if they're interviewing local/non-local on different days with different times. Mine is at noon which would make sense for those of us who are within reasonable driving distance (ie less than six hours) and wouldn't be able to make an 8am interview. Just trying to hash out the behind the scenes logic.

Oh btw bradtech, what in the world convinced you to get an EMT-I? Why not just go for the P?

my interview time is 8:15am tuesday 9/14. ill be drivin from jersey.

bradtech, how much is the discount at hampton? is $79 before the discount?

Traitor, Bradtech, out of curiosity, what time is your interview? I'm on the 30th and was wondering if they're interviewing local/non-local on different days with different times. Mine is at noon which would make sense for those of us who are within reasonable driving distance (ie less than six hours) and wouldn't be able to make an 8am interview. Just trying to hash out the behind the scenes logic.

Oh btw bradtech, what in the world convinced you to get an EMT-I? Why not just go for the P?

My interview is in the afternoon, sometime between 1-4pm. I did my EMT-B and EMT-I during high school. Once I completed my EMT-I I started working on my BSN. Since I work in the ER as a RN I have kept my EMT-I cert. Pre-med classes got in the way of obtaining my EMT-P after nursing school. Are you an EMT?

my interview time is 8:15am tuesday 9/14. ill be drivin from jersey.

bradtech, how much is the discount at hampton? is $79 before the discount?

The Hampton Inn is $79 a night with the discount. The normal cost is around $110 a night. I decided to stay there since it included a free full breakfast. Since I am coming from Texas, I want to save money on meals. Good luck on your interview!!

Last edited:
Are you an EMT?

Yeah, but I'm just a lowly B. Nobody's getting tubed over here. I guess if you were doing it in high school (an awesome idea by the way, got mine late in college) it would make sense to get the I. I just remember my instructor telling us to never get our I, just go for the P, and performed an extended analysis of money+time vs. salary and scope. In high school there's nothing but time, just gotta find the money.

Not to hijack the thread or anything.

The 14th is approaching fast. Anyone here interviewing on Tuesday as well?

9/14 here. surprisingly not a lot of chatter on this thread. wonder how many they interview at a time at this school?

Yeah, pretty quiet forum here.

I really have no idea what to expect next week in terms of how they interview or how the day will progress. A little element of surprise there. But then again, how different can it be? There will probably be a tour and a discussion about the curriculum....etc. I think I'm more relaxed about this one after having officially experienced my first med school interview last week. :thumbup: Let's show them what a couple of seasoned vets look like, lol.

I really have no idea what to expect next week in terms of how they interview or how the day will progress. A little element of surprise there. But then again, how different can it be? There will probably be a tour and a discussion about the curriculum....etc. I think I'm more relaxed about this one after having officially experienced my first med school interview last week. :thumbup: Let's show them what a couple of seasoned vets look like, lol.

Check out the interview forum for some hints, tips, and ideas about the big day. http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/unecom

haha yea with our extensive interview experience. i definitely do feel more relaxed. but i kinda like how the interview was first thing in the morning

Check out the interview forum for some hints, tips, and ideas about the big day. http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/unecom

yup been definitely lookin over this like crazy

Congrats to everyone who has received an interview!
I am a second year UNE-COMer, and I can give you a little insight as to what to expect on Tuesday. As you arrive in the lobby of Alfond (the main medical school building) there will be first years and second years ready to greet you. These students are available to answer any questions you may have. They HAVE NO impact on whether you are accepted or not. They are there to help calm your nerves.
You will receive a folder filled with info about UNECOM as well as your interview time and who your interviewers will be. Once everyone has arrived, you will go to a small conference room to hear a presentation from the Dean as well as current students regarding what life at UNECOM is like...what the program entails, costs, extracurriculars etc. After the presentation, those who have a later interview time will go on a tour of the campus, while those who are interviewing will head to their respective rooms. Once you are finished interviewing, you are free to go. It's pretty laid back and stress-free compared to other places.
Also, you get free food and beverages all morning so bring your appetite!
Good luck! Maybe I'll see you there!

Congrats to everyone who has received an interview!
I am a second year UNE-COMer, and I can give you a little insight as to what to expect on Tuesday. As you arrive in the lobby of Alfond (the main medical school building) there will be first years and second years ready to greet you. These students are available to answer any questions you may have. They HAVE NO impact on whether you are accepted or not. They are there to help calm your nerves.
You will receive a folder filled with info about UNECOM as well as your interview time and who your interviewers will be. Once everyone has arrived, you will go to a small conference room to hear a presentation from the Dean as well as current students regarding what life at UNECOM is like...what the program entails, costs, extracurriculars etc. After the presentation, those who have a later interview time will go on a tour of the campus, while those who are interviewing will head to their respective rooms. Once you are finished interviewing, you are free to go. It's pretty laid back and stress-free compared to other places.
Also, you get free food and beverages all morning so bring your appetite!
Good luck! Maybe I'll see you there!

o man i hope i get one of the early interview times. that would definitely help me enjoy the rest of the day. and i was looking at some of the questions, do they really ask questions like "since grade 3,..." ?

I was complete on July 9th, No emails/call about interview yet.

Hey everyone.

I am trying to pull together some materials for an interview later this month at UNE. Has anyone been able to find a match list for UNE? I quickly searched their website, but came out empty handed. Also has anyone had an interview at UNE and could tell me what to expect?

On another note, I hope everyone is getting good news and interview invites. If not hang in there it is still very early!

Thank you

Hey everyone.

I am trying to pull together some materials for an interview later this month at UNE. Has anyone been able to find a match list for UNE? I quickly searched their website, but came out empty handed. Also has anyone had an interview at UNE and could tell me what to expect?

On another note, I hope everyone is getting good news and interview invites. If not hang in there it is still very early!

Thank you

http://www.une.edu/com/clinical/upload/2010grad_state.pdf

Last edited: