UNECOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys
I know it was briefly discussed earlier in the thread, but I have a quick question about question #4 on the secondary (I know I am late).

So the questions asks:
Describe how you see the role of physicians in society (outside the direct practice of medicine). What experiences have you had that demonstrate your readiness to meet these future role expectations

I have an answer to this, but I am not sure it is what they are looking for. There is an MD that I have done extensive volunteer work for. He is vascular surgeon, but in addition to his practice, he operates a mobile testing facility which basically is a van with various testing equipment installed, and he is hired by construction companies to go to their work sites and test the workers and make sure everything meets OSHA compliance. So he tests them for lung capacity, hearing tests, teaches them how to use safety equipment etc. So I have volunteered with him many times at these sites and I was thinking that I could discuss this as a "role of physicians in society outside of the direct practice of medicine". However I am concerned that this is not what they are really looking for since it still is a form of practicing medicine, just not in the usual sense of seeing a patient in an office, diagnosing/treating him.

What do you guys think, is this a good thing to discuss or are they looking for things that are completely unrelated to the practice of medicine? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

just got the letter today! placed on alternate list. I was kind of surprised because I thought my interview went well, but I guess my answers were not what they were looking for. good luck to everyone else who interviewed, hope u guys were able to get in

@romealone: I'm not sure if that's an answer they would be looking for. if he was volunteering his time to go out of his day to teach these workers new equipment then I guess it could work? I can't say for sure.

Still nothing in the mail. If you got waitlisted, though, then that means I basically have no chance.

And I have to agree with traitorman, I don't think that's what they're looking for in that essay question. You're still thinking within the realm of medicine. Think outside the medical profession (as the question asks). Essentially, I think they want to know what your idea of an upstanding citizen is, and this question allows you to indirectly convey how you - yourself - would divide your time outside of your practice once you become a physician.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldn't say that. maybe your interview went a lot better than you think. hope u get that acceptance man

Thanks. Maybe we'll see tomorrow.

You already got accepted at bradenton, right? Do you have any more interviews coming up? I have one left at lecom-e on the 22nd, but that's about it. I think the mcat proved to be my achilles heel.

Complete on 7/22... and deaaad silence since then.

:shrug: what a strange game this admissions process is.

My wife is from Maine and is dying for me to interview here...

Advice Please:

My application will be complete this Monday. Am I really late in the game for this school? It's my number 1 choice.

Complete on 7/22... and deaaad silence since then.

:shrug: what a strange game this admissions process is.

My wife is from Maine and is dying for me to interview here...

Although I was complete about 2 weeks after you, I feel the same way. Hopefully, we get to hear something from them soon.

Anyone else interviewing on 10/19? I'm so excited to be headed to UNE soon. I've heard only good things about the school.

Also, I hope there are still some pretty fall colors in a couple weeks. :)

Although I was complete about 2 weeks after you, I feel the same way. Hopefully, we get to hear something from them soon.

I am in the same boat, as well. I am thinking about calling the school to check on my status, but I have done good so far keeping myself from calling! The waiting --> :bang:

Anyone else interviewing on 10/19? I'm so excited to be headed to UNE soon. I've heard only good things about the school.

Also, I hope there are still some pretty fall colors in a couple weeks. :)

I am interviewing 10/19! I'm super excited and super nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)

How long are you going to be there for? I get in on the the 17th and leave early on the 20th.

Anyone know of things to do or see while there? I definitely want to check out the surrounding area while I'm there.

has anyone who has been complete by mid September heard anything except for firefighter's ridiculous turn around (jealousy)

has anyone who has been complete by mid September heard anything except for firefighter's ridiculous turn around (jealousy)
nope. I haven't heard anything. I've been interviewed and accepted at other schools, and nooooothing from UNE....(and I'm from New England)

Thanks. Maybe we'll see tomorrow.

You already got accepted at bradenton, right? Do you have any more interviews coming up? I have one left at lecom-e on the 22nd, but that's about it. I think the mcat proved to be my achilles heel.

yup! i also have one at lecom-e but i think im gonna withdraw.

nope. I haven't heard anything. I've been interviewed and accepted at other schools, and nooooothing from UNE....(and I'm from New England)

just saw ur mdapp and maybe you're too competitive?? u have great stats.

Congrats! Weird question, but does your acceptance letter have a date on it? I'm trying to get a feel for when the adcom meets.

They meet every other Friday.

Got the letter today. Big fat rejection. Look's like I'll be going to sunny Florida next year! And hey, I'll save a little coin in the process.

@Traitorman - I think I'm going to withdraw from the erie interview as well. The program is the same as bradenton, and I can't afford to fly there.

for those who got acceptances, what are your stats if you don't mind

They meet every other Friday.

Got the letter today. Big fat rejection. Look's like I'll be going to sunny Florida next year! And hey, I'll save a little coin in the process.

@Traitorman - I think I'm going to withdraw from the erie interview as well. The program is the same as bradenton, and I can't afford to fly there.

ahhh sorry to hear about the rejection. You can email them to find out why you were rejected if you're curious. I emailed them and the reason I got placed on the alternate list pretty much confirmed my only doubt about my interview. but it def helps receiving the bad news with an acceptance in hand.

this post helped make my decision easier!

and regards to dates, i interviewed 9/14 and my alternate list letter is dated 10/1

Sorry to hear about the alternate list, I recently interviewed. Did they tell you specifically what went wrong in the interview? What did you think went wrong? And are you a non-New England res?

I interviewed on Sept 16 and got the acceptance letter yesterday!!! I am so pumped.

Re-applicant from Texas
RN and EMT-I

I can't wait to move to Maine!!!

this post helped make my decision easier!

and regards to dates, i interviewed 9/14 and my alternate list letter is dated 10/1

Haha! Glad I could help. That 10/1 now makes me wonder if any of us 9/30-ers will hear back. I'm in anxiety overload right now

After you submit the secondary are you just supposed to receive a page that says "Thank you" ? And then call with your credit card?

Thanks in advance for the help!

After you submit the secondary are you just supposed to receive a page that says "Thank you" ? And then call with your credit card?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, I think you had to either mail a check or call the number they give you with your credit card.

just got the letter today! placed on alternate list. I was kind of surprised because I thought my interview went well, but I guess my answers were not what they were looking for. good luck to everyone else who interviewed, hope u guys were able to get in

just got placed on the alternate list as well, any info on if being placed this early on the list helps in getting off the list?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the alternate list, I recently interviewed. Did they tell you specifically what went wrong in the interview? What did you think went wrong? And are you a non-New England res?

i thought my interview went REALLY well but the only doubt I had was how i opened up the interview. it felt really conversational style and i ended up creating an opening for them to ask about grades and such. i had an answer prepared but unforetunately, the flow of the conversation somehow caught me off guard and i ended up giving an answer that made them wonder if I could handle the medical school courseload. when i emailed them after I was placed on the waitlist, it was mentioned that they had concerns about my academics - which was what I thought went wrong in my interview. also, im from NJ if that helps. are u from new england?

just got placed on the alternate list as well, any info on if being placed this early on the list helps in getting off the list?

they said they review the alternate list at various points throughout the cycle and told me there is a chance mine may get rereviwed at the end of this month or early next. i would definitely say that updating them with anything you can (new grades, classes ur taken, community service work, etc) may help. you should also email them to find out what went wrong with your interview so that you can learn from it and not make the same mistake at your other interviews. good luck, and hope u get off that waitlist!

@ bradtech: congrats man!

i thought my interview went REALLY well but the only doubt I had was how i opened up the interview. it felt really conversational style and i ended up creating an opening for them to ask about grades and such. i had an answer prepared but unforetunately, the flow of the conversation somehow caught me off guard and i ended up giving an answer that made them wonder if I could handle the medical school courseload. when i emailed them after I was placed on the waitlist, it was mentioned that they had concerns about my academics - which was what I thought went wrong in my interview. also, im from NJ if that helps. are u from new england?

thanks man, yea im from new england i will def email them and try to figure it out...that would be awesome if they could review our files and potentially offer a spot!

I just withdrew from UNECOM. Good luck to everyone!

Just submitted my secondary app, hopefully I'm not too late in the game to get an interview. I sure like the looks of this school. Was it me, or was that application intense? Four essays isalot! Good luck all.

Interviewed 10/14. Eight applicants in my session. My two interviewers were very nice and positive. Campus was beautiful. Admission committee meets every three weeks.:xf:

does anyone know if une has a formula in which they invite applicants for interviews? I have ben complete since mid august but updated them with new mcat scores which I wished were stronger 25 O 9/7/9 in mid september and havent heard a Peep. I am a NJ applicant and really like this school and have family who live in maine(about 100 miles north of biddeford but still a lot closer than NJ). just wondering if I am out of the running here as its been about 3 weeks since they have recieved my new scores and I have been complete (with my old score of a 23) since mid august. I havent recieved a rejection notice but I am assuming I am out of the race cause they probobly reviewed my file by now.

Stop obsessing. There is no formula. There is no multiplication, division, or particular score that makes you a shoe-in for an interview.

Relax. If they like your application, you'll get an interview. If they don't, you won't. They're looking for a particular "fit". Not necessarily a set of numbers.

Made the 6 hour trip for my interview tomorrow....:scared: This is my first one.....

Drove through the campus today. Preetttyyyy...its pretty nice and Biddeford has that old fashioned town look....It's nice

Made the 6 hour trip for my interview tomorrow....:scared: This is my first one.....

Drove through the campus today. Preetttyyyy...its pretty nice and Biddeford has that old fashioned town look....It's nice

Wahoo interview tomorrow! So excited.

Does this school send out rejections? Or Do they just tell you nothing? I've been complete since august. Not a peep since.

Yay for being complete! I am excited about this school.

Does this school send out rejections? Or Do they just tell you nothing? I've been complete since august. Not a peep since.

That's a great question...I've been complete for a while. Crickets.

Man I've been reading some terrible things about this school lately. Beautiful location but students have the highest debt in the country, not getting the greatest clinical rotations, and poorly taught lectures. Any current students care to comment?

same here...has anyone called to check on the status of their application? Should we be calling?

What do the 10/19 interviewees think about the program? interview? etc.

That's a great question...I've been complete for a while. Crickets.

same here...the only thing that is keeping me sane is looking at the interview/invite thread and noticing that nobody has added anything new to it in quite awhile, so maybe they aren't sending out a whole lot of invites right now. OR all the invites are NON-SDNers...:confused:

hopefully we'll hear something soon!

I'm planning to take biochemistry winter or spring term in 2011 - will this delay review of my application. Will they not review applications until all pre-requisites are completed?

Thanks!