UNECOM vs ATStill KCOM - need to decide by 1/12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwabdu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've Never posted on SD Network. usually dont because you all stress me out, but I need some help. I got into UNECOM and AT Still Kirksville and I have to put a deposit down by the 1/10/12 and I can not decide.

Here are my thoughts on UNECOM: I live in New england so UNE is convenient and is in the area I would like to practice some day. UNE also has a good reputation and I have several really talented friends that went there. However, I am worried about some of the issues with Administration, new curriculum not being so good, poor board pass rates in the past and it seems like they are not giving students enough time to prepare for boards. My friends who go there say: I love the school, I got a great education but I dont like to be on campus and I dont like the administration and some of the changes have been bad for students. Not impressed with interview day.

On AT Still: They give grades as a % not a pass/fail. if you average an 87% in a class you get an 87 on your transcript. They have the highest board pass rate of 98%. Students are driven but exhausted. They are the oldest DO school. It is way over in missouri and it sucks to get there and back from new england. their residencies are not in new england either for the most part. really impressed with who i met and what I saw on my interview, but who knows what reality is.

Members don't see this ad.

From your post it seems like UNECOM would be a better fit for you....just my opinion.

Hi, I've Never posted on SD Network. usually dont because you all stress me out, but I need some help. I got into UNECOM and AT Still Kirksville and I have to put a deposit down by the 1/10/12 and I can not decide.

Here are my thoughts on UNECOM: I live in New england so UNE is convenient and is in the area I would like to practice some day. UNE also has a good reputation and I have several really talented friends that went there. However, I am worried about some of the issues with Administration, new curriculum not being so good, poor board pass rates in the past and it seems like they are not giving students enough time to prepare for boards. My friends who go there say: I love the school, I got a great education but I dont like to be on campus and I dont like the administration and some of the changes have been bad for students. Not impressed with interview day.

On AT Still: They give grades as a % not a pass/fail. if you average an 87% in a class you get an 87 on your transcript. They have the highest board pass rate of 98%. Students are driven but exhausted. They are the oldest DO school. It is way over in missouri and it sucks to get there and back from new england. their residencies are not in new england either for the most part. really impressed with who i met and what I saw on my interview, but who knows what reality is.

Do you mean rotation sites?

Members don't see this ad :)

The bolded is one of the reasons I turned down my UNE acceptance. Education wise you cannot beat KCOM. I'm going to medical school to learn and do well, I don't want at school that will be any hindrance at all.

I think for most people it is the isolation of Kville that breaks it. The question you need to ask yourself is if a small town will make or break for 2 years (move for rotations).

I talked to someone at UNE and they said they now have a full semester of board prep. Starting now until the exam, the school is all about prep for the boards for the second year students. And they bring in Kaplan test prep teachers. All the second and third year students I talked to there loved the school, they meet the dean twice a month, they like the curriculum. This just makes it harder to decide...

I talked to someone at UNE and they said they now have a full semester of board prep. Starting now until the exam, the school is all about prep for the boards for the second year students. And they bring in Kaplan test prep teachers. All the second and third year students I talked to there loved the school, they meet the dean twice a month, they like the curriculum. This just makes it harder to decide...

No. No school has a whole semester of board prep. Perhaps their curriculum is geared towards boards, but that doesn't necessarily constitute better prep.

Questions that may influence advice:

Composition of family: single, partner/spouse, +/- kids. Partner's job, family in area to help with kids, etc?

Type of town you are from and your general flexibility living in a town like or dislike it?

The truth is, the opportunities are going to be similar between the two schools with some degree of advantage toward UNE for being able to rotate, with more convenience, at NE-based hospitals. KCOM may offer a better administrative environment. Personal factors may weigh as heavily in thoughtful consideration here.

Here are my thoughts on UNECOM: Not impressed with interview day.

On AT Still: really impressed with who i met and what I saw on my interview.

Just some food for thought...

Also, any student is going to be exhausted, we aren't any exception here. Apparently you met someone who likes to complain more than the average med student. Yes KCOMs location isn't the best and east coast rotation sites are somewhat limited. I have friends from around your area and they manage just fine.

Go to where you felt most comfortable.

The issue is: will one school give me a better education and lead to better board scores than the other. If so I go to the school that will give me a better education. if not, then I go to the closer school in the region I would like to practice (New England)

While board prep and administrative issues are definitely important, to some degree how you perform in medical school depends on what you personally put into it. I think you should also consider where you'll be the most successful (for me, support system of family and friends plays into this).

All true. Here is what is holding me back from UNE:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=912686 post #11
This is a BU Med student who's spouse goes to UNE.

And here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=959322 #22
A UNE student who went out of his/her way to tell people its a mistake to go there. provided that person joined SDN they day that post was made and has only written that post (suspect)

But my friend at UNE had some of the same complains as these people above but said that she liked the school anyways. I just dont want to wind up in 2 years having some lame ass excuse for why my board scores arn't as good as they should be and how I wish I had gone to another school.

A UNE student who went out of his/her way to tell people its a mistake to go there. provided that person joined SDN they day that post was made and has only written that post (suspect)

But my friend at UNE had some of the same complains as these people above but said that she liked the school anyways. I just dont want to wind up in 2 years having some lame ass excuse for why my board scores arn't as good as they should be and how I wish I had gone to another school.

if you look hard enough, you will find similar posts about nearly every school by current/past students. Its up to you to decide how much importance you want to give to such posts.

I think either school is good (and since I'm one of the few New Englanders I know who might eventually settle in the Midwest, KCOM's location doesn't bother me any). But did you read further in both of the threads you quoted? There are significant posts that add a little more to the story. As an alumnus the cost and administrative difficulties disturb me, but I think those other posts are just as important.