UNECOM vs. PCOM-GA vs. UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I go with?

• UNECOM

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • PCOM-GA

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • UIWSOM

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

allanMED15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am very blessed to have options this application cycle as I am a reapplicant.

I need a bit of advice on a decision of which DO program to go with.

I have been accepted to UNECOM and PCOM-GA and am still waiting to hear back from UIWSOM.

When I was accepted to PCOM-GA in October, I paid that deposit. My deposit to UNECOM is due this Wednesday ($500). Hopefully, I will hear back from UIWSOM this week, to make the decision a bit easier.

Here are my perceived pros and cons:

UNECOM
Pros:
Integrated curriculum with longitudinal anatomy
Biddeford is 45 minutes from where my grandparents live
I was really impressed with the campus right on the water with opportunities for hiking and outdoor activities

Cons:
Mandatory lectures that has since been updated to only include some lectures-I tend to go to lecture regardless, but I put this as a con here because I do not know which style will work best for me when I actually start school
While clinical rotations are in the same location year 3 and 4, it is kind of uncertain on the level of clinical education
Biddeford is a small town. Resources for me as a student may not be as much in a bigger city.

PCOM-GA
Pros: Atlanta is a great city. Closer to home for me.

Cons:
It was a bit difficult to get a real feel for the school while I was there. I enjoyed the day when I was there, but after my acceptance to UNECOM, I would go there over PCOM-GA.

UIWSOM
Pros:
Integrated curriculum like UNECOM. Problem based learning that I really believe in.
Of all the interviews I have been to, UIWSOM was the most organized and I was the most blown away by it.
The facilities are going to be great.
SA is amazing and the school already has all of the major hospitals contracted with them for clinical rotations, including SAMMC, one of the largest military hospitals in the country. I do not think that I will have any problem getting exposure to any field.

Cons:
The biggest con of all is that it will be a brand new school. It is uncertain if the expectations I saw in the interview day will actually be met.

That is really the only con I can think of.

Cost: While it is not set in stone yet, I believe I will be taking the military route. Because of this, tuition will not be a factor in my decision.

While I do not have a decision from UIWSOM, I thought I would get advice on what I should decide regardless of the decision.

Please let me know what you all think!

TL;DR
I have options to decide on and a deposit is due this week.
The pros and cons of UNECOM, PCOM-GA, and UIWSOM from my perception are shaping my thoughts on the schools. I would appreciate any other input.

Sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

I am only an incoming OMS-I at UNECOM and I did not interview at the other two schools....so take this for what it's worth lol. But I will try to help sway you to the cold side (hehe)

Biddeford is a small town, but Portland isn't too far away and there is a bus to/from each UNE campus if you're feeling crazay. Current students told me that they frequently go there on weekends because there is a lot to do there...and it's not a huge city like A-town or DC so driving ain't too much of a hassle.

Partially mandatory lectures is something I am unfamiliar with as well. I always went to lecture during undergrad (graduated last May), but I am confident in my ability to go through lectures on my own. But ya don't know till ya know

As for clinical rotations...this school has been around for some time (considering it is a DO school). Based on SDN research and speaking with current students, some clinical sites are better than others (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But I have not heard of anyone competing for spots at clinical sites. I am sure geographic preferences often trumps clinical site reputation. But there doesn't seem to be any red flags with the clinical education IMO...students match pretty well (but idk what you're thinking about in the long run). Also sounds like the school has solid resources for setting up away rotations 4th year.

TL;DR: I am an incoming OMS-I at UNECOM who used parentheses and ellipses way to often in this post. :hello:

Oh yea for sure. Well said!

Members don't see this ad :)
True. But with the possibility of UIWSOM still in the air, I do not know where I'd go.
Wouldn't even consider UIW for a second. Everything you've been told is just a promise at this point. Besides the fact that fit was really bad for me, rotations didnt seem to be figured out yet (oh yeah we will have spots in San Antonio but you could end up in West Texas or south).

The MMI was incredibly fun though. My favorite interview portion this cycle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
True. But with the possibility of UIWSOM still in the air, I do not know where I'd go.

Uiwsom has federal loans and a strong backing from the university, but it is still a brand new program. Id go unecom and don't look back!

Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn't even consider UIW for a second. Everything you've been told is just a promise at this point. Besides the fact that fit was really bad for me, rotations didnt seem to be figured out yet (oh yeah we will have spots in San Antonio but you could end up in West Texas or south).

The MMI was incredibly fun though. My favorite interview portion this cycle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Yep. That is exactly where I'm at. It all sounds great on paper, but it's uncertain where it will actually go.

Uiwsom has federal loans and a strong backing from the university, but it is still a brand new program. Id go unecom and don't look back!

That's good advice. As much as I would love to be in SA, I have to take it all into account when deciding.

Based on what you said earlier you would choose UNE over PCOM, so it only makes sense to put the deposit on UNE and then see what happens going forward with UIW. At the end of the day you have to choose what feels right and works best for you, regardless of what people on here say. No one on this site will have complete knowledge of both schools, because they either attend one or the other, and quite frankly your future is not dictated entirely by which DO school you go to. Pick a place that you can truly see yourself at then work hard and reap the benefits!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Oh yes! Unless I hear back from my state MD school, I will definitely pay the deposit this week.

Depends on where you are trying to obtain residency in the future. If you want to work in the NE then you are better with UNECOM.

I voted GA-PCOM because family is close. So I assumed you wanted to work in the SE in the future. Both are solid schools Congrats OP!

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on where you are trying to obtain residency in the future. If you want to work in the NE then you are better with UNECOM.

I voted GA-PCOM because family is close. So I assumed you wanted to work in the SE in the future. Both are solid schools Congrats OP!

Thank you! I will most likely be entering the military match and they kind of dictate where I go. Haha so I am not too picky about location in that aspect.

Reactions: 1 user