UNE's NEW Medical Biochemistry Course (Online)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not even a week into it yet, but I really like it so far. fwiw I ran into a friend of mine who is about halfway through the course and the review he gave me was a bit different from the ones above. He said this course is 100% doable, and he's really enjoyed everything about it. Just like anything else, you put the time into and you'll be fine. It also helps that I only need a C, and their grade scale is a little more forgiving (a C is 68%).

I didn't even notice that they put the sections of the book they were covering, I just assumed it was the whole chapter. The chapters are only like 20-30 pages, so just suck it up and read the whole thing, the extra content (I imagine) helps tie everything together and will help in med school.

I totally agree with you O grady- the chapters aren't too long. Unfortunately, I am under ridiculous time constraints for completing this course and may have to forgo the extra sections. I was wondering for those of you who have taken exams, what do you feel was most helpful in focusing your time on? I have read some of the other posts, just wondering if focusing on objectives and module "study guides" is enough for doing well (A,B) on the exams. I will of course read, and watch lectures, and do quizzes but wondering if focusing on the objectives and study guides will allow me to be successful.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed the teacher (LeClair) and she states we are ONLY responsible for addressing the objectives and that there are parts of the chapter we can ignore that are not associated. She says to focus on the objectives and outlines.

Recently finished the course. Focus on the objectives and you will be fine. I was going for an A or A- grade, so I put a lot more work into the course than most people will find necessary. It isn't all that bad, so long as you keep to a schedule and don't get behind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Recently finished the course. Focus on the objectives and you will be fine. I was going for an A or A- grade, so I put a lot more work into the course than most people will find necessary. It isn't all that bad, so long as you keep to a schedule and don't get behind.
Do you know how the time extension component works? I'm supposed to finish the class by the end of May, but since I don't really have anything else going on this summer I would like to extend to late June or so just so I'm not killing myself trying to do biochem and finish out my last UG semester.

Do you know how the time extension component works? I'm supposed to finish the class by the end of May, but since I don't really have anything else going on this summer I would like to extend to late June or so just so I'm not killing myself trying to do biochem and finish out my last UG semester.
You just email them ([email protected]) and say you would like an extension for X number of weeks. I asked for a couple months and they gave them to me no problem. They email you back a form that you sign and send back to them (just print, sign, and scan, or sign a copy of the PDF electronically). You only get one extension request though, so make sure you don't lowball the number of weeks it will take you to finish. It's a really painless process and they don't grill you about your reasons for needing an extension or anything, so if you feel like getting one will make your life easier, definitely ask for one.

You just email them ([email protected]) and say you would like an extension for X number of weeks. I asked for a couple months and they gave them to me no problem. They email you back a form that you sign and send back to them (just print, sign, and scan, or sign a copy of the PDF electronically). You only get one extension request though, so make sure you don't lowball the number of weeks it will take you to finish. It's a really painless process and they don't grill you about your reasons for needing an extension or anything, so if you feel like getting one will make your life easier, definitely ask for one.
Cool, thanks man.

What other online biochem courses are there that will satisfy UNE's requirement?

What other online biochem courses are there that will satisfy UNE's requirement?
I have no idea but I imagine if you are interested in that program the best thing to do is call them. It takes too much time and energy taking a course to chance it on someone telling you they will accept it.

That being said, an update on the course…
I should preface with saying I am one week into a two week binge doing nothing but this class..literally. Long story short, looking at programs for next year, I came across a program that was perfect for me it's at the end of this cycle and everything was due March 1, not applying now would cost me a year. So I have cancelled everything in my life for two weeks (taken off work) and I study 14-16 hours a day, no joke. So my take may be a bit different as my approach is different given my time frame.

It is definitely not easy but I feel it is straightforward and you will learn a lot. You have four tests, two of which are proctored and summative, two of which are not proctored and are formative. There are 16 module quizzes contributing to your grade also. The questions so far seem to be straightforward, she is not trying to trick you.
There are a lot of different ways to approach the course, I say you can save yourself a lot of time and reading by focusing on the objectives lists for each chapter as the teacher told me that is what we are responsible for and where all questions come from. That is still PLENTY of information to digest.

I have only taken one test thus far and about to take the midterm and I feel that once you "figure out" your approach this is a good class. It isn't easy, that's for sure, but you are told exactly what you are expected to know with the objectives. As someone else said, the first unit is by far the most work, it's at least twice as much work as the others but once you are past that, it seems doable.

I can not stress enough, if you learn the details of the objectives, you are golden and do not need to stress about other details, otherwise it is just too much.
I totally understand where the other posts are coming from and don't disagree with them at all that this is not an "EASY" course but I would recommend it. You will have to put the time in, but I much more prefer knowing what I am expected to learn in a course like this, than "study everything in all chapters and the material on the test is a surprise!"

I'm only halfway in but overall, there are likely easier biochem courses out there, but I recommend this class for anyone who values the self paced ability and straightforward objectives. The book is good, and the teacher is helpful and responds quickly to emails.

Any update on this course? It's about time for me to sign up if I'm going to matriculate at UNE!

Yes I am finished with the course but it definitely requires focus and time as everyone has said. I about killed myself doing this in a few weeks-studying 16 hours a day. To add, the final is more difficult than the other exams so be sure you are prepared for that. The teacher is great, ask for guidance or topics to focus on and she will guide you. Even in 16 weeks I say this would require studying constantly, but you will learn a lot and it is doable. If you aren't doing well on the exams and quizzes, you will totally flop the final so adjust your studying as needed. To add, you do have a saving grace if needed and are able to retake the midterm or final and the scores are averaged. Good luck guys! I'll be happy to answer any questions about the course

Yes I am finished with the course but it definitely requires focus and time as everyone has said. I about killed myself doing this in a few weeks-studying 16 hours a day. To add, the final is more difficult than the other exams so be sure you are prepared for that. The teacher is great, ask for guidance or topics to focus on and she will guide you. Even in 16 weeks I say this would require studying constantly, but you will learn a lot and it is doable. If you aren't doing well on the exams and quizzes, you will totally flop the final so adjust your studying as needed. To add, you do have a saving grace if needed and are able to retake the midterm or final and the scores are averaged. Good luck guys! I'll be happy to answer any questions about the course
Dude I don't know how you were able to do that....

I know, and I would never do it again….Rereading that I realize I downplayed the difficulty. I should reiterate- DONT TRY TO TAKE THIS COURSE IN LESS THAN 16 WEEKS!!! I should add that I took time off of work and literally didn't do anything but study and my body was pushed to the brink, no joke running on stress hormones. I have worked so damn hard to get into a program, I was very very motivated to do this to save myself a year of my life. Even in 16 weeks, you would need to study constantly.
I know I've said it before, but do the objectives that the teacher posts and understand those topics very well and you will do well however for the final you have to know these concepts inside and out and all peripheral concepts surrounding objectives. You all surely know how to study at this point, but if you have a question on the quizzes that you don't know, read everything covering that topic because it will come back to you for the final which is a step above the other assignments. You CAN NOT cram and do well in this class, you may pull of one test, but come the final, you have so much to know, you can't possibly earn a decent grade. I ended with a B+ and worked my tail off.
Also, read the pt examples at the beginning of each chapter as there are questions similar to these, but if you know your stuff, i.e. insulin does x,y,z these questions are easy to tackle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just started the course on March 5th. So far, the material covers topics I've learned in previous bio/chem classes (a&p, cell bio, gen chem) and seems manageable. Stressed about the fist quiz and sort of over studied. Suprised (and a bit ticked off)when I found out that it was only 10 questions covering 5 chapters. lol It wasn't bad, considering I read all 5 chapters in depth. On my second module now- cell biology! Glad I took that course so now the chapters are easier to comprehend for me.

@DGCT00 have you signed up for it yet?

Just started the course on March 5th. So far, the material covers topics I've learned in previous bio/chem classes (a&p, cell bio, gen chem) and seems manageable. Stressed about the fist quiz and sort of over studied. Suprised (and a bit ticked off)when I found out that it was only 10 questions covering 5 chapters. lol It wasn't bad, considering I read all 5 chapters in depth. On my second module now- cell biology! Glad I took that course so now the chapters are easier to comprehend for me.

@DGCT00 have you signed up for it yet?

Negatory. Still need to be 100% sure I'm going to put my deposit down this Wednesday... Of course, I'm never going to be 100% so I should just probably do it already.

Does it look like you can been the 15-16 week estimate if you wanted to? (And I'm glad it isn't impossible... people really talked it up on here.)

Negatory. Still need to be 100% sure I'm going to put my deposit down this Wednesday... Of course, I'm never going to be 100% so I should just probably do it already.
Does it look like you can been the 15-16 week estimate if you wanted to? (And I'm glad it isn't impossible... people really talked it up on here.)

If you manage your time by making sure you cover every module in a week's time, then yes it is doable in 16 weeks (i suppose). Some chapters are easier to read than others, and some modules are shorter than others, so if you wanted to, you could do shorter modules in 4-5 days instead of the whole week. Just make sure you review during the week as you go along, so that when you take the module exams, you won't need to go back rereading chapters or anything. I'm trying to make myself review sheets per module as I go along each chapter, using the objectives given per module (as suggested by previous posters on this thread), and I'll study off those for the unit exams. I try to make sure my last day of the week will be the day I take the module exam, so I'm hoping I can keep this schedule for the allotted time without extending. I would be done by June 25th and I don't imagine wanting to extend until July because classes will start July 31st!!!! I'll need that entire month to move and prep for school!

If you manage your time by making sure you cover every module in a week's time, then yes it is doable in 16 weeks (i suppose). Some chapters are easier to read than others, and some modules are shorter than others, so if you wanted to, you could do shorter modules in 4-5 days instead of the whole week. Just make sure you review during the week as you go along, so that when you take the module exams, you won't need to go back rereading chapters or anything. I'm trying to make myself review sheets per module as I go along each chapter, using the objectives given per module (as suggested by previous posters on this thread), and I'll study off those for the unit exams. I try to make sure my last day of the week will be the day I take the module exam, so I'm hoping I can keep this schedule for the allotted time without extending. I would be done by June 25th and I don't imagine wanting to extend until July because classes will start July 31st!!!! I'll need that entire month to move and prep for school!
Thanks for the reply! My sleepy brain was still on vacation mode when I wrote my other post and I meant to ask if you could "beat" the 16wk allotted time. But you totally answered that for me anyway. Thank you!

is anyone having problems opening some of the videos today. for example module 3 session one part C. i know its opened for me a few days ago now ive tried on 2 computers and cant get that video

@DGCT00 no problem. You going to Osteoblast?

is anyone having problems opening some of the videos today. for example module 3 session one part C. i know its opened for me a few days ago now ive tried on 2 computers and cant get that video

I tried opening that video just now. It opened for me. Maybe you need to restart your computer? (That's my solution for any issues I get on mine lol)

how helpful are the unit reviews that you can take repeatedly for the Unit 2 and 4 exams? are they similar to the exam questions? I feel like I am doing ok on them but there is just so much material that I am still concerned… this course is most definitely not easy by any means, but I think I'm getting a good amount out of it…

has anyone been having trouble getting onto blackboard the last few days?

Just wanted to offer another experience with the course for those who may be hesitant to take it. Let me just preface by saying I have been accepted to school already and just had to take it as a requirement before starting so I was not very concerned about my grade. But I honestly put very minimal effort into the course... I didn't read any of the chapters in the book I just watched the lectures first. After watching the lecture I took the prequiz and then referred back to specific sections of the book for anything I thought needed clarifying before taking the module evaluation. The first unit has by far the most info but after that each unit got significantly easier! I am working two jobs, had some personal things going on where I barely did any of the class for three weeks or so, and also went on vacation for a week and I ended up finishing the class a week early and squeezing out a B (there is quite a scale). Just wanted to throw this out there because I was dreading taking the class after what I had read and it ended up being way more manageable than I was expecting.

I wont say whether you should take this class or not and I wont give my opinion about what I thought about the class. It is what it is and if you paid for it or need it for a prereq well then here are some tips on how to succeed.

I just finished taking this class. Here is what I did to get an A. Prof LeClair.

Know where to focus: her lectures and the course objectives. I can't stress this enough. You must know the answers to those objectives like the back of your hand. Most of the information is in her lecture and notes. The text is not the place to spend your time. Use it to fill in and bridge areas where you don't understand, but do not use it to find focus.

Here is how I studied to learn the module material. My goal was 1 module per day.
1. Read and think about course objectives, copy them into a google doc so I can fill out as I learn the info.
2. Read the notes / presentation materials.
3. Listen to lectures without taking notes, just listen.
4. Read text, light read just to fill in the blanks.
5. Fill in objectives from memory. Alot was left blank but I was filling in as best as I could.
6. Go back and listen to lectures again, pausing to fill in the missing spots of the objectives using what she said and what the notes say.
7. Take prequiz and answer questions at the end of the chapters.
8. Create a new blank objective list and fill it out from memory. Making sure to get them down perfect. Because she uses a power point type note with lots of images it makes it easier to picture and remember. Think in pictures, remember the images, it is so much easier.
9. Sleep and come back in the morning and take real quiz. Or if the material wasn't that challenging I would just take the quiz and move on to the next module.

Here is how I prepared for all the exams.
The exams are not phrased the same way the quizzes are. Do not expect the exams to be on the same level as the prequiz or quiz, they are not. And personally I found the proctored exam more thought provoking than the unproctored. However, if you know the material and can answer in detail the course objectives you can easily answer the questions on the exams. You do have to know metabolism, period. Know it all and how it interacts. And as one previous mentioned while the tests are accumulative they focus mainly on material not covered in previous test. I wish would have realized this at the time but I didn't which meant I spent a lot of time reviewing old material, I over prepared.

Here is what I did: I would spent 3-5 days getting ready for tests.
1. Go back and answer all the objectives from memory.
2. Listen to all the lectures again filling in areas of the objectives that I may have missed.
3. Create Anki cards. I created these but didn't end up using them very often. There is an art in creating cards that are effective and I still have not mastered it.
4. Wrote down all the processes many times until I knew all the enzymes, the substrates and regulatory factors for every pathway taught.
5. Retook all pre quizzes and reviewed all prior quizzes and tests that could not be retaken.
6. I did not use her study guides. I just used the objectives.

What I would have done differently:
1. Not made Anki cards
2. Spent more time in active recall; recalling information by writing it down from memory instead of listening to lectures. I think I listened to each lecture between 3-5 times...
3. Focused on the unit/s being tested and not spent so much time reviewing already tested material. Granted you still need to know it, because there are questions on that material, in fact I did miss questions from old material on the tests, but I could have shifted time to capture more points, is what I am trying to communicate....so don't just not review the old material, just know it is not going to be an even distribution.

A note on objectives: They do not have to be detailed on the level of the text for the most part. The way she covers the objectives in the lectures is the basis on how you should emphasize it. Her lectures are very to the point. She does not correlate or link or deviate from the slide and only 1 time did I hear her say, "you will not need to know this". At some point you do wish she was talking more as you get the sense she could really teach you some cool stuff about medical biochem, but then you would just be wasting time on info that is not applicable to the objectives or test material. Don't mistake her direct lectures for lame and unhelpful. She is very intentional on what she says and she has refined what you need to know to do well in the class.

Is it a hard class? I don't know. The material is foreign which makes it hard to understand on first glance, but the more time you spend with it the better it becomes and the more you understand. So yes it starts out hard, but finishes easy.

Spend time to understand the material. Then spend most of your time in active recall (google it if this is not your method of study, because it should be).

Last edited:
For the final did it seem that most of the material was from UNIT 4 or did it seem more of a cumulative course final

It seemed 50 unit 4, 30 unit 3,15 unit 2, 5 percent unit 1. Metabolism is highly emphasised. You must know those pathways and regulations. But you probably already know that having taken the other tests

For the final did it seem that most of the material was from UNIT 4 or did it seem more of a cumulative course final

Just finished the course. Landed a B+. I felt that the Unit 4 exam was pretty easy. I studied a couple days for it though. It was mostly from Unit 4, also several Qs from unit 3, but no more than 5 Qs from Units 1&2. However, The topics in unit 4 do intersect with all the previous units, so a fair understanding of previous units is still important. Good luck!

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and I am currently taking this course as a pre-req for Pharmacy school (I am attending Fall of 2014). I just finished my Unit 2 exam and I will share my experience thus far. (I completed unit 1 and unit 2 in a total of 4 days, DON'T DO THIS, ITS BAD.

The course is not a breeze, if you are looking to take biochem and pass it without any effort find another course as this one is not for you. The Unit 1 exam has a lot of material, 6 modules, and the entire course is 16 modules. It isn't necessarily the material that is hard (it is somewhat hard but interesting) but the amount of information you need to know. That being said, focus on the objectives and you will be fine. The exams really don't stray from the objectives but be forewarned, the unit 2 exam is more difficult than the first unit exam and it is worth 30% of your grade.

Now I'm just randomly breaking the paragraph because no one likes a wall of text.... Unit 2 and Unit 4 exams are both 30% of your grade each, thus being 60% of your overall grade. They are cumulative and from my experience with the first exam vs the second exam, more analytical. Module quizzes (16 in total) account for 20% of your grade so it isn't that bad if you flub one or two. Unit 1 and unit 3 exams are a total of 20% of your grade and they are unproctored. Unit 2 and unit 4 (summative exams) are proctored via proctoru.

That being said.... I studied 8 hours the night before and 10 hours the day of my exam (8:30PM exam) and pulled a 76 off on the Unit 2 exam and I am surprised.

DO NOT BE STUPID. DO NOT DO WHAT I DO, CRAMMING IS BAD. I'm pretty sure I got lucky because there is no way in hell I knew that material that well. There is an IMMENSE amount of information that needs to be known and it is very detailed.

I plan on taking the unit 3 exam tomorrow and studying the 23rd, 24th, and maybe the 25th, and finally taking the final on the 26th so I would have finished the course in roughly 9 days.... Based on my first unit exam grade I will need a 36% on the final to pass the course with a "C" which is all I am aiming for because I just need it for the credit.

Overall the course is good but I will tell you I was nervous as hell when taking my unit 2 exam and I didn't know the answers to the first 3 questions lol. When I got my grade back I started jumping around because I knew I lucked out, or maybe I'm the king of cramming.... I have been doing it for years.

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and I am currently taking this course as a pre-req for Pharmacy school (I am attending Fall of 2014). I just finished my Unit 2 exam and I will share my experience thus far. (I completed unit 1 and unit 2 in a total of 4 days, DON'T DO THIS, ITS BAD.

The course is not a breeze, if you are looking to take biochem and pass it without any effort find another course as this one is not for you. The Unit 1 exam has a lot of material, 6 modules, and the entire course is 16 modules. It isn't necessarily the material that is hard (it is somewhat hard but interesting) but the amount of information you need to know. That being said, focus on the objectives and you will be fine. The exams really don't stray from the objectives but be forewarned, the unit 2 exam is more difficult than the first unit exam and it is worth 30% of your grade.

Now I'm just randomly breaking the paragraph because no one likes a wall of text.... Unit 2 and Unit 4 exams are both 30% of your grade each, thus being 60% of your overall grade. They are cumulative and from my experience with the first exam vs the second exam, more analytical. Module quizzes (16 in total) account for 20% of your grade so it isn't that bad if you flub one or two. Unit 1 and unit 3 exams are a total of 20% of your grade and they are unproctored. Unit 2 and unit 4 (summative exams) are proctored via proctoru.

That being said.... I studied 8 hours the night before and 10 hours the day of my exam (8:30PM exam) and pulled a 76 off on the Unit 2 exam and I am surprised.

DO NOT BE STUPID. DO NOT DO WHAT I DO, CRAMMING IS BAD. I'm pretty sure I got lucky because there is no way in hell I knew that material that well. There is an IMMENSE amount of information that needs to be known and it is very detailed.

I plan on taking the unit 3 exam tomorrow and studying the 23rd, 24th, and maybe the 25th, and finally taking the final on the 26th so I would have finished the course in roughly 9 days.... Based on my first unit exam grade I will need a 36% on the final to pass the course with a "C" which is all I am aiming for because I just need it for the credit.

Overall the course is good but I will tell you I was nervous as hell when taking my unit 2 exam and I didn't know the answers to the first 3 questions lol. When I got my grade back I started jumping around because I knew I lucked out, or maybe I'm the king of cramming.... I have been doing it for years.

wow, jeez 9 days. I did this class in 18 weeks!!! LOL
I wanted to take my time though and actually understand the material well. I also had most of the spring semester to do it. I remember studying for the Unit 2 exam for 4-5 days and by the end of it I knew all the pathways and enzymes like the back of my hand for the exam. I didn't study as hard after that though, but made review sheets using the objectives for the final (Unit 4) exam.
Hope you get the grade you're aiming for!

wow, jeez 9 days. I did this class in 18 weeks!!! LOL
I wanted to take my time though and actually understand the material well. I also had most of the spring semester to do it. I remember studying for the Unit 2 exam for 4-5 days and by the end of it I knew all the pathways and enzymes like the back of my hand for the exam. I didn't study as hard after that though, but made review sheets using the objectives for the final (Unit 4) exam.
Hope you get the grade you're aiming for!
Thanks, and yeah the way I am doing it isn't that great when you want to retain the information. I still don't know how I got a 76 on the unit 2 exam.... maybe the prayer I did during the final 3 minutes of the countdown worked.... yes, I did pray (first time in about a year) lol. After I got my grade I was jumping up and down because I figured I only need a 36 or so on the final.

Not pertaining to misseskee but to people wondering more about the course.

Also, if you follow the guideline, 1 module a week it is realistic to think you will get a good grade but the work has to be there. I can knock out three modules a day but my head hurts lol. Let the lectures and those highlighted diseases/disorders during the lectures be your friend.

I just finished the course and thought I'd offer my thoughts in addition to everyone else's.

If you're shooting for an A, I would say the class is pretty tough. If you only need to pass for a prereq, it's not bad at all. I ended up with a B+ and tbh didn't really put my best effort into it. I dragged it out for way longer than I needed to though, which I wouldn't recommend. Initially I started while finishing up UG, which wouldn't have been a problem if I had known the best way to study for this class.

My suggestion on how to study:

-Watch all the lectures for the module once. Don't take notes or really worry about understanding. Just see the material and take in what you can.
-Take the module pre-quiz to see what types of questions are going to be asked about the material. (Book questions can be a good source, but I stopped doing those about halfway through).
-Watch the lecture again while taking notes and re-watching difficult parts.
-Making flash cards and drawing out pathways on a whiteboard helped me with quite a few of the modules.
-Go to the book for a deeper understanding if desired (I did this earlier on, but stopped near the end of the second unit).
-If you really really feel uneasy about the material, watch the lectures a 3rd time (I generally didn't do this)
-Take module evaluation. Copy and paste the results in a word document so you can have those questions for practice later.

Repeat for all modules in a unit

-Before a unit exam, review notes, re-watch all lectures, and retake all pre-module quizzes for that unit. This is especially daunting for unit 1, but I felt like it really helped (plus the lectures really aren't that long).
-Take the practice test for the unit, and review the answers thoroughly.
-Take the unit exam.

Repeat

If you haven't guessed, I felt like 95% of what you need to know is right in her lectures. They're short and sweet, so take advantage of that. The other 5% of material is stuff that I wouldn't have known no matter how much time I spent on the material (even in the book) because it was some BS detail question. I felt like the book was overflowing with detail and it became easy to lose sight of what was important for that chapter/module. If you want a deeper understanding of biochemistry than is required for the class, the book is awesome. I started that way, but near the end just wanted to hurry up and be done.

Overall I really really liked the class. I loved how you addressed medically relevant situations as well, which is something my UG biochem class didn't. I would definitely recommend, especially if you just need it as a prereq and aren't trying to keep a gpa high.

Good luck to anyone in the future!

Reactions: 1 users
Completely agree with the above statement.

The book can be used to obtain a deeper understanding of the knowledge but it really isn't all that needed. There are questions on the exam that can not be found in the book or in the lectures, it is just the way it is sadly. That being said, a good 95% of the material as mentioned can be answered if you know the material.

As for me... I finished the first two units in about 4 days, I took 3 days off (kicking myself in the ass right now for it) and now I have started studying today at 3pm for my 3rd exam that I will take at roughly 10pm and then I will study for my 4th exam which I'm taking tomorrow the 26th lol.... Knocking out the 3rd exam and 4th exam should not be advised in a 36 hour time period LOL, then again I need roughly a 36 on the fourth exam to get my C so...

questions.. 1. are tests/quizzes multiple choices? 2. grading scale, no curve >90% is an A assuming? 3. what all count toward the grade?

thanks!

edit: sounds like 4 units? 2 proctored 2 un proctored (20% each) and 16 module quizzes (20% total)?

questions.. 1. are tests/quizzes multiple choices? 2. grading scale, no curve >90% is an A assuming? 3. what all count toward the grade?

thanks!

edit: sounds like 4 units? 2 proctored 2 un proctored (20% each) and 16 module quizzes (20% total)?

Every test/exam is multiple choice.

How your grade will be calculated:
Week (Module) Evaluations: 20%
Unit 1 and 3 Exams: 20% (10% each)
Unit 2 and 4 Exams: 60% (30% each) --> Proctored

Grading Scale:
88%–100% = A
82%–87% =B+
78%–81% = B
72%–77% = C+
68%–71% = C
960%–67% = D
Below 60% = F

Finished the course last night with a C+.

The first half of the course took me 6 days.

Exam 3 took 2 days of study.

Exam 4 comprised of a huge binge study period of one day (that includes all material in unit 4 and the rest of the course).

Please don't take the course if you are going for an "easy A" or trying to blow through a class in a week or so because it is no joke. Trust me, it doesn't feel good knowing your exam is in 8 hours and you haven't even finished looking over the material for the first time (story of unit 4 for me).

That being said, if you take this course over a prolonged period of time it can be very rewarding and informative. I have learned so much it is crazy....

Here is a big tip: Know all your pathways, how other pathways react with each other, and pay careful attention to the diseases or conditions mentioned in the lectures and quizzes.

Another huge tip if you are going to take the course: There is a site called "Studyblue" and it is amazing for this course, no joke. If I didn't have this site I would not have passed given the time constraint. Study this before the quizzes and exam and you will be in good shape. Trust me, its worth paying $9 for a one month subscription then exporting all needed files to your computer, then you can cancel it. I would advise using a pre-paid visa though because I still am not too hot on using my debit card online (I will pay the $4 fee to ensure security).

That being said, study the objectives, take carful note of conditions seen in patients, and watch the lectures and you will be in ship shape!

Good luck to anyone that takes this course in the future!

Would I need to buy the required textbook at all? I can borrow my friend's Lippincott's Biochem. Thanks.

Do they offer this course with start dates in the spring? Right now the latest start date I see is December 17th. Thank you!

Every test/exam is multiple choice.

How your grade will be calculated:
Week (Module) Evaluations: 20%
Unit 1 and 3 Exams: 20% (10% each)
Unit 2 and 4 Exams: 60% (30% each) --> Proctored

Grading Scale:
88%–100% = A
82%–87% =B+
78%–81% = B
72%–77% = C+
68%–71% = C
960%–67% = D
Below 60% = F

Easy to assume you'll get at least a 90% on the quizzes and non proctored tests?

That would mean just a 66ish percent on proctored tests for a B...

Easy to assume you'll get at least a 90% on the quizzes and non proctored tests?

+1 if anyone has any more info on this course I would greatly appreciate it! I need biochem for one of the schools I just got accepted to, but after reading some of these reviews I am a little afraid of being able to pass this course.

Thanks!

Fo those who have taken the course and are now med students, do you believe the UNE course was at all helpful during medical school level Biochem? Will the foundation built in this class be at all relevant in "easing" the adjustment to the amount of material you are requird to know?

Sure, although I found that I did better on the proctored exams, lol. I think it was because I became complacent and didn't study as hard as I did for the proctored exams. The course was tough, though. But I am extremely happy that I took that course right before beginning medical school. I still use my biochem notes in med school now! Good luck!

Fo those who have taken the course and are now med students, do you believe the UNE course was at all helpful during medical school level Biochem? Will the foundation built in this class be at all relevant in "easing" the adjustment to the amount of material you are requird to know?

I thought it was tough when I took the class, and I took comprehensive notes for myself. Now, I refer to my biochem notebook and it's extremely helpful for when we talk about TCA cycle, gluconeogenesis, etc. A lot of my classmates took biochem earlier during undergrad so they are re-learning all these biochemical pathways and I just learned them in great detail the summer before starting med school! So I'm really thankful for this course; UNE did a great job with the format and delivery of the material.

Do they offer this course with start dates in the spring? Right now the latest start date I see is December 17th. Thank you!

Yes they do. I assume they will be adding spring enrollment dates closer to the end of the year. There were multiple start dates available last spring. I signed up March 5th last year.

Would I need to buy the required textbook at all? I can borrow my friend's Lippincott's Biochem. Thanks.

They use the required textbook a lot for this course. I personally don't like the Lippincott biochem book because I don't like the pictures and flowcharts as much, and I feel that the content is not as detailed as the book this class uses. Just my opinion though.

Whenever I was initially interested in taking this class, I looked at this blog and read several reviews of the class. I just (literally 2 hours ago) took my final exam so I wanted to give yall my input because I thought some of the reviews on this (that I read at the beginning of the year, not necessarily the more recent ones) weren't a realistic review in my opinion.

To give you a tiny background on myself, I graduated from my undergrad at a university in TX last year. My science GPA was 3.6. I am pre-PA. I didn't originally plan on taking biochemistry because only 1 TX PA program required it. However, I changed my mind, for several reasons, after learning about this online class opportunity once I had graduated. In my undergrad, I took several online courses, ranging from 3 weeks long (mini-mester) to a full semester long. So online courses are not a stranger to me.

Facts about the class:
The class is expensive. It cost me $1225. It is completely online and self-paced. You are given a start date and and a "scheduled completion" date. Mine was about 3 1/2 months after. You can complete the class faster if you can. There also is an option of requesting a 10 week extension. I did this. So in total, I had 6 months to take this course.

The class is split up into 4 units. There is an exam after each unit. Unit 2 exam is the midterm and is 90% from Unit 2 and 10% from Unit 1. Unit 4 is the final exam and is 90% from Unit 4 and 10% over all the other units. Within each unit, the information is split up into modules. Each module has 1-2 lectures and lecture materials provided on the website. Each module has a "pre-quiz" that your supposed to take before completing the module then a quiz you take after that actually counts for your grade. Unit 1 and 3 exam are 30 multiple choice questions. Unit 2 and 4 are 50 multiple choice questions. Unit 2 and 4 are also proctored. Since its online, you make an account through ProctorU and someone literally watches you, through webcam, taking the exam. You schedule the exam in advance on the website so that it can work. Here's the breakdown.
Unit 1:
Module 1-6
[Unit 1 Exam]
Unit 2:
Module 7-10
[Unit 2 Exam]
Unit 3:
Module 11-13
[Unit 3 Exam]
Unit 4:
Module 14-16
[Unit 4 Exam]

Your grade is made up of...
60% Summative Exams (Unit 2 and 4)
20% Formative Exams (Unit 1 and 3)
20% Module Quizzes

88-100 = A
78-87 = B
68-77 = C

My opinion of/advice for this course:
First off, this is an online class. Do NOT sign up for this course expecting it to not be completely up to how much work you put into the course. Everything is already on the website provided for you. The lectures are recorded into a video. The only thing missing is how much you want to put into it. What it takes to complete this course is time, effort, dedication, memorization, HARD work etc. So if you haven't ever taken an online course that is intensive in anyway, do not be mad when you realize how much work this class takes because it is solely online. Instead of a regularly scheduled class that you go to on campus that, in a sense, forces you to learn the new material, you have to make your own "schedule" for this class and be able to keep up with it. Regardless of the specific class, it already requires MORE work and self-dedication to keep up with it all since its completely online and the only "deadline" is completing the course. If this is your first time taking an online course, please don't be discourage by this but just be aware of the expectations an online course takes.

Secondly, this is MEDICAL BIOCHEMISTRY. If you sign up for this class hoping for a "blow off" or easy course, please take my advice and DO NOT take this class. Actually, for that matter, do not take medical biochemistry anywhere hoping for an "easy A". Every single one of my friends I talked to while taking this course that had taken it previously somewhere else said some comment about how extremely difficult biochemistry is. That includes people that are pre-med (even someone who just completed med school), pre-nursing, and pre-PA. My friend (who completed her undergrad in 2 years with a 4.0 in biomedical science at Texas A&M University) who just completed med school and is applying to her residency said "I really liked that class but it was very hard". That should put something into perspective for you. So, I cannot stress enough, regardless of everything else, this class is difficult. (Potentially) enjoyable but difficult.

Thirdly, because of the combination of the above 2 things I said, I do not recommend taking this class while taking a full-load of courses and/or working full time. However, it IS possible. Just takes more work and dedication from yourself. So DO NOT sign up for this class doing either one of those and then are surprised at how hard it was completing this class... I literally was laughing when I read a few reviews of people stating how many other things they have going on in their life and were shocked at how hard this class was. I'm not saying its impossible by any means. But I'll put it this way, it doesn't make it easier by any means. I took this class from May to October. During May, June, July, and August, I was working overtime hours at my job and applying to PA schools. However, I spent endless hours studying when I got off work into the early hours of the morning to be able to complete this class. Since I was working so much, I did put this class off for the first 2 months. I literally didn't even know what a day off felt like so studying wasn't exactly appealing on my few hours I had off. But I found a way to complete everything in time.

Honestly, I really never seemed to figure out what worked best for me to memorize everything. So I can't provide much advice about how to study.. Normally I am a notecard studier and that works wonders. I tried that and spent endless hours making notecards that didn't seem to help as much as they have for other classes. Now that I've finished the class, it seems like almost the entire course is processes. Processes, the names of molecules at each step in each process, the enzymes that complete each step in each process, and things that activate/inhibit that enzyme. Also knowing the overall impact of each process and what happens if there's deficiencies at any of the steps in any of the processes. You are expected to know all that and THEN be able to compare them all to each other and keep all the molecules/enzymes separate from beginning to end. I bought a whiteboard and wrote out the processes hundreds and hundreds of times. For example, while studying the urea cycle that's at the end, I wrote that one out many times. I'd feel very confident with it. But then I always seemed to have forgotten all the other processes that I had already studied. That seemed like a theme throughout the entire class. Seems like the class could be relatively easy if you are good at memorizing something and literally never forgetting it. There's so many processes and most either pertain to, for example, when insulin is high (energy is high) or when glucagon is high (energy is low). Anyway, all the processes are just overwhelming to me, especially at the end because things I had already gone over, I couldn't remember so it was just frustrating. I also didn't exactly space out my studying as well as I had planned/hoped when I started the class so that probably didn't help.

Unit 1 and Unit 3 exam are easier in my opinion. But that's probably because its only over that one unit's info. Unit 2 exam was harder than those and Unit 4 exam that I just took tonight, was insane hah. But when I took the final, I just kept mixing up things that I had never mixed up before and just got overwhelmed and couldn't keep things straight. However, I did pass the exam (barely but I did pass). Based off the amount of info on each exam, I most definitely think that each exams difficulty was definitely appropriate.

Just FYI, I ended up getting a B in the class. So its definitely possible to do okay in this class. I put in HOURS studying and got a B. And that's with terribly spacing out my studying, putting the class off for the first 2 months, and as a result, basically binge studying towards the end to get this class done. If you do not appropriately space out your time while enrolled in this course to study, its not the end of the world. But I cannot stress how much time I had to spend in the last month, especially, to finish this course because of the choices I made from the start. I literally finished within less than a week left in my deadline (after getting an extension). So I just had to put in waaaay more effort than I would've had to do if I just studied regularly and spaced it out evenly from the start.

My "professor" was Renee LeClair. I put professor in quotes because I'm not exactly sure how all the professors would vary in this class. Seems like it doesn't really make a difference. But I emailed Renee for a few things throughout taking the course and she responded quicker than any professor that I have ever had. Her response's were always very straight forward and helpful.

In summary..
Medical Biochemistry online thru UNE is very hard. But it is very much possible to do well in this class. Biochemistry is known for being hard anywhere that you take it so taking it online, doesn't exactly do the class any justice. However, I definitely think this class is a very good alternative to taking it at a college. Medical biochemistry, for anyone in any type of pre health field, can definitely be enjoyable. But you have to know what to honestly expect and know its difficulty level. If you understand that and are pre-health, I really think you will enjoy the information in this course.

I cannot stress enough again, DO NOT take this course if:
1) you expect a blow-off, easy A, or easy version of biochem.
2) you are already enrolled in a full course load and/or work full time and expect it to be relatively easy. Its most definitely possible (I was working overtime hours throughout the course) but you have to put in double the effort to complete it.
3) you have never taken an online course and expect the same, or easier, compared to a regular lecture class where you have to show up to the lecture hall every week at a scheduled time. I have a history of taking several online classes and my opinion, regardless of which class, is the same. They all take more dedication than regular courses since you are not required to show up to class at a certain time to learn the material.

I keep repeating all those reasons not to take this course because some of the reviews I read on here awhile ago were from people frustrated at how much work the class was in general, frustrated that its not a professor teaching you regularly (even though a professor kindly recorded her voice and talks thru every single slide), and frustrated they didn't do well/or shocked at how much work they had to put in while they took full course load or had a ton of other things going on in their life (kids, work, etc..). Again, please take my opinions into consideration based off my background I provided at the beginning.

I just wanted to share my very honest opinion of this class in hopes of encouraging everyone who reads this to either 1) definitely sign up for the class and know generally the amount of work it takes to complete this course or 2) decide against this class so they don't waste their time/money because they don't think they can handle it. This class teaches you so much and I am very happy that I chose to take this class. But I am truly exhausted haha. Definitely well worth my time though. I hope my (extensive) review can help some of yall out! Expensive, hard, but so so so worth your time if you are pre-health.

Good luck to anyone taking this class!

Reactions: 5 users
I thought I would update this tread, since it seriously freaked me out before I took CHEM 1005 online. I was actually mad after I took the first exam. I expected to be murdered by it. My brain didn't even break a sweat. So maybe the class is different now, so I have to post my opinion on the class!

This class is no harder than any other advanced science course. (Which are never blow-off course.) It was much easier than organic chemistry. I'd say it's Physiology level difficult, probably a tad more difficult because of all the chem vocabulary. But it's just a lot of material. and a lot of cause-and-effect concepts. This class is by no means easy. But, it's not insane. It's not unfairly difficult. It's nothing to be intimidated by. You can definitely be working full-time, with a social life, and handle this class.

The quiz/test questions are extremely straight forward. I think one of these posts said the test questions were completely different than the quiz. They're the same, as far has degree of difficulty. Comparable, if not easier, to the book review questions.

There's no reason to spending your time memorizing every step of every single metabolism. She makes it pretty obvious which reactions she'll actually test you on. The module objectives are kind of overkill. But if that's your type of studying, go for it. Otherwise, high level understanding of everything is generally all you'll need. The book is necessary though, because I don't think Leclair was very good at describing the more complicated mechanisms.

But really, to anyone trying to figure out how stressed they should be about this class, disregard all these comments and trust your abilities. You're pre-med for pete's sake. You've probably never seen anything less than a B before, and this class isn't going to be the one that breaks you!

I agree with alfi112 that it is not that harder than you would think. I just got done with class a few days ago and here is what I think. I was so scared to take the exams since those worth so much percent. However, after taking exam 1, I was like, okay it is not beyond what it is on the lecture. Since I just needed this course for my graduation requirement, I only aimed to get a C. But I ended up getting a C+, which is better than I thought. I think I could have done better if I had more time and put more effort into it. But I was rushing out of time since I was putting this class off til the end. I am taking a full load of classes, 20 credit hours on top of this. So, I was afraid I would not finish this on time in 16 weeks. But thanks to Quizlet and Study Blue. Those are awesome when you have to rush yourself and get things done quickly. People have created some card decks to help you study even easier. So, please utilize that, too. It saved my life. The study guide provided by the instructor is definitely helpful. And going over quizzes, practice exams* are definitely very very useful and in my exam, some of those even appeared. Really, do go over the unit exam review over and over multiple times. Different questions will appear from the test bank each time and knowing those questions will really help you on the exam and you kind of get a sense what types of questions will be asked on the real exam. I did not really have a time to read the textbooks, but I listened to all of her lectures. I was doing okay by just listening to her lectures since she summarizes what is really necessary for us to know from the book. I think this biochem course was better than the one offered on campus. But that is just my own opinion so I do not know what others would think.

So, I want to say this course is definitely doable. Instructors are very willing to help you out. I asked for some tips and just within a day, they emailed me with some study tips and which things to focus on. And definitely utilize the TAs if you have any questions. I emailed the TAs multiple times while taking it to brush up on some concepts that I could not understand well. They were very helpful as well.

I agree with what the previous posters have said. This thread seemed to make the class out as if it was impossibly difficult. I just finished the course yesterday and, while it's no walk in the park, it's definitely doable if you put in the effort. I was able to complete the course in 5 weeks while working full-time and finished with a 96 average. I personally felt the video lectures were very helpful and found that I rarely used the book as a resource. I also was pleased with the quick responses I received from Dr. Spicer when I had questions about the course. I would suggest this class to others if they are committed to putting in the necessary hours.