Univ Washington vs. Creighton. Vs. Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UAAWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an extremely hard choice to make....

University of Washington:
-20,000 a year. (+80,000 penalty if I do not come back to my home state for 5 yrs after residency...I'm a WWAMI)

-Top ranked school....

-Freedom to do rotation in like 50+ sites in the wwami states. Seattle would be where I'd do most though.

-MS1 is not in Seattle..but in my home state. Not thrilled about this. MS2-MS4 can be Seattle main campus.

Creighton:
-45,000 a year
-Absolutely loved this place...the students especially
-PHX for clinicals would be great...

Nevada:

-20,000 a year for me...same price as UW except don't have to come back to my home state. This freedom is HUGE to me.

-Loved the school and the people I met. Sick campus

What do you say guys? Pass up the prestigious UW degree to potentially save money at Nevada?

Members don't see this ad.

wow, that 80k penalty sucks. i would go with nevada, thats just me

it sounds like you hate the idea of UW and the lack of freedom. Therefore I would go to nevada. as you said freedom is HUGE so you answered your own question. Dont get caught up in prestige. That lack of freedom at UW would be a deal breaker for me. It sounds like you dont want to possibly practice there so you shouldnt tie yourself into something. Prestige wont keep you happy if you hate your surroundings. I wouldnt bother with creighton thats for sure wayy to expensive. If I was you id do nevada in a heartbeat. Lack of debt to me is one of the most important key factors in med school. Id rather graduate from nevada with 80k debt then 250k debt at X prestigious med school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nevada seems like a safer choice I agree. If I come back and practice in my state UW is better...but I'm 22 now and plan to do 3-5 yrs residency after MD school.

How can a 22 yr old single male know where he's gonna be in 9 yrs? :confused:

I don't know where your home state is, but I would choose U of Washington over Creighton and Nevada anytime.

5 years of commitment sucks nonetheless.

it sounds like you hate the idea of UW and the lack of freedom. Therefore I would go to nevada. as you said freedom is HUGE so you answered your own question. Dont get caught up in prestige. That lack of freedom at UW would be a deal breaker for me. It sounds like you dont want to possibly practice there so you shouldnt tie yourself into something. Prestige wont keep you happy if you hate your surroundings. I wouldnt bother with creighton thats for sure wayy to expensive. If I was you id do nevada in a heartbeat.

This is my thinking. A lot of my friends and even a doc I shadow told me I'd be an idiot to not take the UW degree. They said it would carry so much more weight than a Nevada degree regardless of USMLE...made me feel like if I didn't go to UW I would be significantly hurting myself...so confused :(

it sounds like you hate the idea of UW and the lack of freedom. Therefore I would go to nevada. as you said freedom is HUGE so you answered your own question. Dont get caught up in prestige. That lack of freedom at UW would be a deal breaker for me. It sounds like you dont want to possibly practice there so you shouldnt tie yourself into something. Prestige wont keep you happy if you hate your surroundings. I wouldnt bother with creighton thats for sure wayy to expensive. If I was you id do nevada in a heartbeat. Lack of debt to me is one of the most important key factors in med school. Id rather graduate from nevada with 80k debt then 250k debt at X prestigious med school.

I don't know where your home state is, but I would choose U of Washington over Creighton and Nevada anytime.

5 years of commitment sucks nonetheless.

Alaska....lol

:cool:

whats the point of going to a top rank institution if you cant really pick a place that you are going to work (or have to pay 80k for)

whats the point of going to a top rank institution if you cant really pick a place that you are going to work (or have to pay 80k for)

Well I want to do a competitive IM fellowship (GI or Cards etc..) and I'm afraid I'll be hurting my chances at that by giving up the UW degree.

And if I actually do become a GI or something 80k will be a joke. Ugh I don't know! This is a good dillema at least..

Nevada. That 45k a year at Creighton becomes ridiculous after interest, plus, winter FREAKING SUCKS (maybe that's why I'm suggesting Nevada...we have over a foot of snow on the ground here in MI and I'm getting bitter...)

Plus there are brothels if you need a break.

I think either way I'm going to have regrets...Attending Nevada I would regret giving up the prestige, and maybe always wonder how that hurt my career. At UW I will regret not having the freedom...well regret having to pay 80k extra for freedom lol

I think either way I'm going to have regrets...Attending Nevada I would regret giving up the prestige, and maybe always wonder how that hurt my career. At UW I will regret not having the freedom...well regret having to pay 80k extra for freedom lol

Well, the good news is, where you went to school factors a distant 9th on the list of things residency programs care about. Also, the only people you'll be able to impress with your Washington degree are other doctors, because the average person has no idea which medical schools are prestigious. And most doctors will not be impressed or envious anyway. That leaves you impressing pre-meds, which probably isn't hard to do.

On the other hand, Alaska has no state income tax, so practicing there for 5 years saves a chunk of money. Then again, neither does Nevada.

Last edited:
well at least it is a good dilemma to be in :)

If I were you, I would make a list of things that are important to me:

Freedom (which is not on most people's lists lol)
Prestige
Students
Liking the school/attitude etc.

Assign each of these a numerical value and rate the schools. The school with the highest score wins :)

either way though, you'll still think about the other but just go where you will be happy!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a friend from UG who had to decide between WashU and UW. He ultimately chose WashU because he preferred to pay more to go to WashU than to be committed to serving in Wyoming.

Reno has close access to Lake Tahoe, and the Chancellor of UCSF is an alumna of UNSOM. If only Tacos, Tacos, Tacos, Tacos! were real, then Nevada would be in the bag

nevada. and i will be applying through wwami as well. the penalty for my state is a bit more stiff (~147k) for not returning post residency. creighton is too expensive and too cold.

plus university of neveda is on discovery health right now (trauma in the er). I think thats a sign.

UW

Pros:

High Rankings...
#1 in Primary Care (I want to to IM)
#6 Research

-I'd get to live in Seattle for 3 yrs of med school...my favorite city

-Insane campus life

-20k a year...dirt cheap

Cons:

-80k repayment if I don't come back...but then again this is my home and my life is here. AK takes insanely good care of their docs too..we have some of the best tort reform in the nation.

Nevada:

Pros:
-20k a year...no commitment to any state
-Loved the campus
-Seemed like a fun school
-Sports etc

Cons:
-Reno could get very old quick...
-School is not ranked really at all...a UW degree is much more powerful

Honestly...there is a 50% chance I'll come back here to practice. And if not it's just like paying for private school. Money is important...but either way I'm going to be fine. Keep in mind I am only borrowing money for tuition...I am borrowing NO money for living expenses

well then, UW ftw!

well then, UW ftw!

To be perfectly honest, UW med has been my dream since I was in highschool. I'm only tempted by Nevada since I could definitely save money...but I would almost feel like I settled instead of getting my "dream degree". I know status is silly to some extent...but it's tough when you've had your heard set on something for a long time.

I think I am leaning towards UW. Good thing I can think for awhile

Your post makes it seem like you're from Alaska. Do you want to go back? I think that's really the question. If you feel like you want to return, go to UW. If not, go to Nevada.

Your post makes it seem like you're from Alaska. Do you want to go back? I think that's really the question. If you feel like you want to return, go to UW. If not, go to Nevada.

It's very difficult to say where my life will be in 7-9 yrs from now. BUT- I can say that there is a better chance I will return to Alaska than pick somewhere else.

To be perfectly honest, UW med has been my dream since I was in highschool. I'm only tempted by Nevada since I could definitely save money...but I would almost feel like I settled instead of getting my "dream degree". I know status is silly to some extent...but it's tough when you've had your heard set on something for a long time.

I think I am leaning towards UW. Good thing I can think for awhile

IMO worrying about status and prestige IS silly, but I think everyone can understand having that ONE dream school too. I would donate my future firstborn to go to the University of Michigan, and I would also commit to 5 years practicing in-state. If you're that committed to the school, do it. But you should examine just how much prestige is factoring into your decision, because really, NO ONE cares where you went to school. I know quite a few docs, but I don't know where any of them matriculated. I never ask. In the real world, where you went to school doesn't matter all that much, and that goes for residency as well.

Check it out: http://journals.lww.com/academicmed..._Criteria_for_Residency__Results_of_a.24.aspx

Table 2 and 3 are relevant.

I also think it would be pretty rotten of you to go to the University of Washington if you are at ALL planning or considering skipping out on the service requirement. It would not be fair to the people who would have taken that opportunity and followed through.

IMO worrying about status and prestige IS silly, but I think everyone can understand having that ONE dream school too. I would donate my future firstborn to go to the University of Michigan, and I would also commit to 5 years practicing in-state. If you're that committed to the school, do it. But you should examine just how much prestige is factoring into your decision, because really, NO ONE cares where you went to school. I know quite a few docs, but I don't know where any of them matriculated. I never ask. In the real world, where you went to school doesn't matter all that much, and that goes for residency as well.

Check it out: http://journals.lww.com/academicmed..._Criteria_for_Residency__Results_of_a.24.aspx

Table 2 and 3 are relevant.

I also think it would be pretty rotten of you to go to the University of Washington if you are at ALL planning or considering skipping out on the service requirement. It would not be fair to the people who would have taken that opportunity and followed through.

Over 50% of people in Alaska WWAMI never return...but yes I agree it's not the best thing to go there if you KNOW you'll never come back. I know that after being gone for 7+ yrs I'll miss this place though..badly.

Present value of $80k in 9 years is $57k. That's ~$8k a year in med school with interest. I would totally not consider Creighton given those economics. I would go to UW in a heartbeat and just pay the $80k down the road, but that's just me.

If you think you're going to go back to AK, go to UW. You can get out of there for long enough to miss it and then come back later.

It's kind of like saying I would go to an awesome school, say in Texas, for that cheap even if it meant coming back to Louisiana some 5 or so years later to practice for 5 years. I'll probably want to go back eventually, so why not take some advantage of the situation.

Present value of $80k in 9 years is $57k. That's ~$8k a year in med school with interest. I would totally not consider Creighton given those economics. I would go to UW in a heartbeat and just pay the $80k down the road, but that's just me.

this. the 80k penalty is little more than a slap on the wrist. I know everyone on SDN likes to complain about how poor doctors really are, etc. but I think it's safe to say you will have 80k to spare at some point in your career. don't let that factor into your consideration.

So I have an extremely hard choice to make....

University of Washington:
-20,000 a year. (+80,000 penalty if I do not come back to my home state for 5 yrs after residency...I'm a WWAMI)

Does this apply only to non-WA resident WWAMI, or is the expectation that even WA residents too have to return or face a penalty?

It's very difficult to say where my life will be in 7-9 yrs from now. BUT- I can say that there is a better chance I will return to Alaska than pick somewhere else.

Well, yeah. But I think that's how you have to make your decision. Do you like living in Alaska or do you hate it? If it's the former, and I were in your shoes, I'd go to UW.

Status
Not open for further replies.