2022-2023 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @tovarishch for sharing this years questions!

2022-2023 University of Washington Secondary Essay Prompts
1. We recognize that the world has changed significantly due to the global pandemic. Please share how COVID-19 has impacted you, your family, your community, and/or the patients that you would like to serve.

2. How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or patients you’ve worked with?

3. What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?

4. What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?

5. Demonstrated competency - Social sciences, Humanities or "Human Condition"

• Entering medical students should understand the social forces that shape the health of the individuals and communities they will serve. This includes understanding how social contextual factors and policy operate at the community and national level to impact the health of individuals. Students should be familiar with disparities in health currently present in society and their underlying etiologies. Candidates seeking acceptance to UWSOM can establish competency in this area through course work in the social sciences, humanities or related interdisciplinary fields such as public health or ethnic and gender studies, clinical and/or population health research, service learning, lived experience or a combination thereof. Examples of social science/humanities coursework to consider: Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Psychology, Religion, History, Philosophy, Literature.
  • Describe your competency by explaining how you've explored and come to understand issues in the social sciences and humanities related to the "human condition".
Updated information on their more specific assessment of residency and connections to WA or WWAMI States:
Applicants whose AMCAS legal state of residence is not within WWAMI or whose residency is denied by one of the WWAMI residency certifying offices will be considered for the MD program if they meet the following specific components of our mission (Mission & Values | UW Medicine):

• Tie(s) to one or more of the WWAMI states
  • AND at least one of the following:
    • Service record with underserved communities
    • From a disadvantaged background (including those inadequately represented in medicine)
Out-of-region applicants must have one of the following WWAMI ties in order to be eligible for consideration:
  • Member of a federally recognized tribe whose traditional and customary tribal boundaries include portions of the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and/or Idaho
  • Born in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho
  • Graduated from high school in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho
  • Have a parent who currently lives in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and/or Idaho
  • Currently live and/or have lived in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and/or Idaho FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR
  • Active military member who is stationed in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Washington School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If any neurotic premeds want an excellent job working very closely with docs, nurses, and pts in a high volume General Surgery clinic at UWMC, send me a dm. Some of the docs are well connected in the UW Med system....I was accepted at UWSoM into the 2022 entering class.

My supervisor also wanted me to note that all of the pre-medical students and pre-dental students we've had have all been accepted to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
New Update for those not aware:

Applicants whose AMCAS legal state of residence is not within WWAMI or whose residency is denied by one of the WWAMI residency certifying offices will be considered for the MD program if they meet the following specific components of our mission (Mission & Values | UW Medicine):
    • From a disadvantaged background (including those inadequately represented in medicine)

Out-of-region applicants must have one of the following WWAMI ties in order to be eligible for consideration:
  • Member of a federally recognized tribe whose traditional and customary tribal boundaries include portions of the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and/or Idaho
  • Have a parent who currently lives in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and/or Idaho
  • Currently live and/or have lived in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and/or Idaho FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR
  • Active military member who is stationed in Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Will eligible out-of-region applicants receive a secondary, or are there still the mission fit essays that need to be reviewed first?

if you meet required ties above. But my guess is everything else is still the same. If you are not sure just reach out: [email protected]
Do you know if going to their undergrad counts for the “lived in WA for at least a year”? I was a student athlete so basically lived there for 4 years but I never established residency

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if going to their undergrad counts for the “lived in WA for at least a year”? I was a student athlete so basically lived there for 4 years but I never established residency
Email them. Not sure and dont wanna tell you the wrong info. I am from the east coast and wanted to apply. Just shared the information above since I was told their website was not updated yet with new information and wanted to save ppl money. Admissions is very nice and will get back to you quick.

Do you know if this applies to MD/PhD too or just MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-secondary
Shoot, my ties to Washington do not necessarily meet the qualifications, but my entire family (outside of my nuclear) resides in Washington, have studied there, and I visit every summer for extended periods... I quick sent them an email to establish my ties, but does anyone thing that they will care? How do I communicate to them this in a time efficient and effective way?

Have you guys seen this new secondary question on their website: "Describe your competency by explaining how you have explored and come to understand issues in the social sciences and humanities related to the "human condition." I keep reading it over and over and can't figure out what it's asking

Have you guys seen this new secondary question on their website: "Describe your competency by explaining how you have explored and come to understand issues in the social sciences and humanities related to the "human condition." I keep reading it over and over and can't figure out what it's asking

+1 for the confusion !

Does anyone know how selective the secondary invite process is for MSTP? Based on previous year trends it seems like it is at least somewhat selective but idk how much.

Mission statement received. a little confused as to whether I should fill it out or not. It says:

"Applicants whose AMCAS legal state of residence is not within WWAMI and/or whose residency is denied by one of the WWAMI residency certifying offices will only be considered for the MD program if they meet the following specific components of our mission (Mission & Values | UW Medicine):

⦁ Ties to one or more of the WWAMI states

AND at least one of the following:

⦁ Service record with underserved communities
⦁ From a disadvantaged background (including those inadequately represented in medicine)"

I have no ties to WWAMI states, but still believe that I'm a mission fit. Is it worth it to fill out the mission statement since it sounds like I won't even be considered?

Like someone mentioned, the ties thing is brand new to this cycle. I actually reached out to UW about it because I'm also OOR (without any significant ties) and last year I received an II but was rejected at the end. Unfortunately they told me that I wouldn't be considered this cycle without ties to WWAMI even though I met the requirements last year and interviewed. Really sucks bc I love UW

Reactions: 3 users
@wysdoc, here are the secondary questions.

• We recognize that the world has changed significantly due to the global pandemic. Please share how COVID-19 has impacted you, your family, your community, and/or the patients that you would like to serve.

• How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or patients you’ve worked with?

• What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?

• What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?

• Demonstrated competency - Social sciences, Humanities or "Human Condition"
    • Entering medical students should understand the social forces that shape the health of the individuals and communities they will serve. This includes understanding how social contextual factors and policy operate at the community and national level to impact the health of individuals. Students should be familiar with disparities in health currently present in society and their underlying etiologies. Candidates seeking acceptance to UWSOM can establish competency in this area through course work in the social sciences, humanities or related interdisciplinary fields such as public health or ethnic and gender studies, clinical and/or population health research, service learning, lived experience or a combination of thereof. Examples of social science/humanities coursework to consider: Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Psychology, Religion, History, Philosophy, Literature.
    • Describe your competency by explaining how you've explored and come to understand issues in the social sciences and humanities related to the "human condition".

@wysdoc, here are the secondary questions.

• We recognize that the world has changed significantly due to the global pandemic. Please share how COVID-19 has impacted you, your family, your community, and/or the patients that you would like to serve.

• How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or patients you’ve worked with?

• What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?

• What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?

• Demonstrated competency - Social sciences, Humanities or "Human Condition"
    • Entering medical students should understand the social forces that shape the health of the individuals and communities they will serve. This includes understanding how social contextual factors and policy operate at the community and national level to impact the health of individuals. Students should be familiar with disparities in health currently present in society and their underlying etiologies. Candidates seeking acceptance to UWSOM can establish competency in this area through course work in the social sciences, humanities or related interdisciplinary fields such as public health or ethnic and gender studies, clinical and/or population health research, service learning, lived experience or a combination of thereof. Examples of social science/humanities coursework to consider: Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Psychology, Religion, History, Philosophy, Literature.
Did you get these from the website or have you received the secondary already?

Mission statement received. a little confused as to whether I should fill it out or not. It says:

"Applicants whose AMCAS legal state of residence is not within WWAMI and/or whose residency is denied by one of the WWAMI residency certifying offices will only be considered for the MD program if they meet the following specific components of our mission (Mission & Values | UW Medicine):

⦁ Ties to one or more of the WWAMI states

AND at least one of the following:

⦁ Service record with underserved communities
⦁ From a disadvantaged background (including those inadequately represented in medicine)"

I have no ties to WWAMI states, but still believe that I'm a mission fit. Is it worth it to fill out the mission statement since it sounds like I won't even be considered?
for those who are like me and had something pre-written and didn't see the harm in submitting since it's free... you will automatically get rejected with no ties! Kind of sad because I loved both WA and the school. Oh well.

for those who are like me and had something pre-written and didn't see the harm in submitting since it's free... you will automatically get rejected with no ties! Kind of sad because I loved both WA and the school. Oh well.
I just received the mission statement request.

Was there a prompt after the 100 word explanation for ties? Or is that the only prompt?

I also don’t have ties but have a really strong mission fit. So bummed that they changed the requirements this year.

I just received the mission statement request.

Was there a prompt after the 100 word explanation for ties? Or is that the only prompt?

I also don’t have ties but have a really strong mission fit. So bummed that they changed the requirements this year.
Nope that’s the only prompt. If you choose the option that says “no ties” or “none of these apply” (the last option), it’s literally an automatic rejection

So my dumb butt forgot to send over my casper exam to this school. I just received an email that my application will not be considered any more. Do you think if I add in UWSOM to my distribution list now, it would be considered again? I hate to be disqualified for this error.

So my dumb butt forgot to send over my casper exam to this school. I just received an email that my application will not be considered any more. Do you think if I add in UWSOM to my distribution list now, it would be considered again? I hate to be disqualified for this error.
I feel like you wouldn't be disqualified for not sending your casper score, because that can be sent at any time. Your application would just not be considered complete. Are you OOS/meet the criteria to apply?

I added their rules about WA state residency determination and WWAMI ties to the top post of this thread, since I saw there were so many questions about it and people wondering why they had been screened out already.

I feel like you wouldn't be disqualified for not sending your casper score, because that can be sent at any time. Your application would just not be considered complete. Are you OOS/meet the criteria to apply?
That's what I was thinking but they sent this in the first email "Our records do not indicate that you have distributed a test from within this date range to our program. Since your application does not have a Casper test listed, your application will not be considered any further. " and im OOS but I do have ties!

For those of you IS who had to fill out the affidavit, did you get a confirmation after submitting it?

Im pretty sure I submitted last week but didnt get a confirmation so kinda worried.

Did you ever get an answer to this? Just graduated last spring and spent 4 years there as well, hoping it counts

Edit: Just scrolled up and saw they missed out on you, sorry to hear that :confused:

Did you ever get an answer to this? Just graduated last spring and spent 4 years there as well, hoping it counts

Edit: Just scrolled up and saw they missed out on you, sorry to hear that :confused:
Haha its all good. And honestly I think its a good thing, I have a lot of emotions built up in the city of Seattle and I do not know if I am ready to go back there quite yet.

I am OOS but have very strong ties to the region and significant volunteering experience (2000+ hours). I received a secondary and based on last years stats it looks like I’m in good shape. Does anyone have any idea how good an OOS secondary is?

I am OOS but have very strong ties to the region and significant volunteering experience (2000+ hours). I received a secondary and based on last years stats it looks like I’m in good shape. Does anyone have any idea how good an OOS secondary is?

96/5000 OOS applicants got one last year I think.

Got an II but ended up being rejected last year. I'm trying again! Good luck to everyone!

I am very confused about the residency process. So I submitted my secondary but the portal still indicates that my residency information is processing. I sent in my documents and got a confirmation e-mail saying the documents have been received and in cue for processing with the residency office. I also reached out to the veteran's office because I am active duty military in Washington State and they have their own form to determine residency, however, it is a digital form that does not allow me to input a start date of Fall 2023. Does anyone know whether I am supposed to go through the veteran's office or the normal residency classification office? Also, are other people's IS applications still not "fully complete" because of the residency data and if so, does that affect the timeline under which the application gets considered? I have called the admissions office numerous times and they don't pick up. The veteran's office is only open for 3 hours, 2 days a week and they also don't pick up/have only responded to 1 email.

I am very confused about the residency process. So I submitted my secondary but the portal still indicates that my residency information is processing. I sent in my documents and got a confirmation e-mail saying the documents have been received and in cue for processing with the residency office. I also reached out to the veteran's office because I am active duty military in Washington State and they have their own form to determine residency, however, it is a digital form that does not allow me to input a start date of Fall 2023. Does anyone know whether I am supposed to go through the veteran's office or the normal residency classification office? Also, are other people's IS applications still not "fully complete" because of the residency data and if so, does that affect the timeline under which the application gets considered? I have called the admissions office numerous times and they don't pick up. The veteran's office is only open for 3 hours, 2 days a week and they also don't pick up/have only responded to 1 email.
Cant answer your questions about the veteran's office but I am also IS still under residency review. I think we were most likely selected for residency verification because our status is not as clear-cut as some of the other IS. I assume this might affect our timelines a bit but considering UW's timeline being slower than most other schools anyways, I hope its not too big of an issue.

OOS MSTP secondary received, prompts are the same as previous years for MSTP (optional autobiographical statement and optional gap year prompt)