University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this program is better than BU MAMS?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current UC SMP student and I've been accepted into UCCOM if anyone has any questions please ask!

How did you make the decision to apply while in the SMP versus applying the following year? Do you think being enrolled in the smp gave you upper hand while interviewing at UCCOM?

@a5ie5lavida Out of curiosity, what did you think was the hardest class(es) during the entire year? Also, how hard is it to get an A in all the classes, 4.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this program is better than BU MAMS?
It just depends on what your specific goals/preferences are. My impression has always been that UC, Georgetown, and Boston have the ~top SMP programs (in whatever order), but that's not really based on anything other than word of mouth so I guess I don't really know how to answer that question.

UC is very clear with who gets accepted where on their website and I know that a lot of people like this transparency. I know that some people from my class are in an MD or DO school but they never directly communicated back with our program director so they don't have a "Where to next:" listed next to their name. I also know that there are people who had multiple acceptances but the webpage only lists where they are going and not where else they were accepted.

UC has a small program with a lot of guidance and support from alumni and faculty both. A lot of the alumni (myself included) are very loyal to the program and really like giving back to it because it helped get us to where we are now, so we are still invested in it and the people in it.

These were the types of things that drew me to UC's SMP over the others. Also Cincinnati isn't a super expensive place to live while the same can definitely not be said for DC or Boston.

Re: the most difficult classes, there was one physiology class that was not taken with the med students that I thought was difficult, and the biochem-heavy med class that we took was also difficult for me because I don't like biochem.

Reactions: 1 users
What's a solid GPA to aim for while in the program that would make it look good for med schools?

Also, regarding housing I've only seen ones that come completely unfurnished, but are there any that comes with everything furnished (e.g. bed, desk, chairs, etc...) ?

@a5ie5lavida How did your cycle go? Did you apply during or after the program? and why?
I'm at UC which is exactly where I wanted to be so I guess I'd say it went well haha. I'm not sure how many secondaries I submitted because I kind of slowed down on submitting them after I got the UC interview since I got the II pretty early (kind of a bold move on my part but it worked out fortunately). I had 5 II, went to 3 of them, 2 A 1 WL.
I applied after the program because my GPAs going in were my weak point (MCAT was fine) so I felt like I really needed grades from the entirety of the program to prove myself to ADCOMS. I didn't really want to risk being a reapplicant (I finished college knowing I needed an SMP so I never applied to med school before the program). I also didn't really know how to create a good application until I talked to some people who were applying at the same time as me/had some med student friends I made while in the program help me by reviewing my app. Overall waiting was the right choice for me.

What's a solid GPA to aim for while in the program that would make it look good for med schools?

Also, regarding housing I've only seen ones that come completely unfurnished, but are there any that comes with everything furnished (e.g. bed, desk, chairs, etc...) ?
It's hard to pick a hard number because I feel like most of the time we didn't really watch our GPAs to measure our progress, we watched how we were doing compared to the med student averages. I don't want to give a too-low number and give false hope/bad advice, but I will say that a 3.9+ or even 4.0 is definitely attainable if you work hard. It's hard to say honestly. I never think shooting for a specific number is a good idea, I much prefer framing it as "I am going to do the best that I can and whatever the number ends up being, I can be okay with it because it was the best I could do."

I don't recall seeing many furnished places when I was looking for housing, but I suppose there might be some.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, how do the loans works? Is it a Stafford Loan with a 6.6% interest rate that starts accumulating interest once we get into residency ?

Also, how do the loans works? Is it a Stafford Loan with a 6.6% interest rate that starts accumulating interest once we get into residency ?

I'm pretty sure interest accumulates starting day 1 but you don't have to make payments until you get to residency.

How hard is the ORSA class and lab? Any suggestions for that one since I hear anatomy is one of the hardest classes in med school.

How hard is the ORSA class and lab? Any suggestions for that one since I hear anatomy is one of the hardest classes in med school.
It’s just osteology, radiology, and surface anatomy. It’s only a few wks long and is primarily self directed and it is to help get you used to how practicals are run. It’s not difficult at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Any suggestions on cheap furniture places to get beds, desks, tables, etc since housing is unfurnished?

Also, how do we find roommates? Is there some FB page already?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the UC SMP site it states:

"Beginning with the graduating class of 2019, UC SMP graduates who submit a medical-school application to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine will be invited for interview provided that their performance in the SMP has met certain academic criteria and their conduct satisfies our high standards of professionalism. "

What are the specific academic criteria? Anyone have any details?

I'm a current UC SMP student and I've been accepted into UCCOM if anyone has any questions please ask!

Do you know many of the entering SMP students apply to UCCOM? Any tips on getting into UCCOM after finishing the SMP? Aside from getting killer scores?

I'm trying to get my books together now, from what I have read from the syllabus, most of the textbooks are available for free through the university. Is that true?

what is the average gap of your class? mine is a 3.1 and my sga is a bit below 3 so i'm nt sure at this point if i should even consider applying to a smp
If you don’t mind, Did you end up applying to this program or hear back? My stats are similar to yours.

I had a week, but I also applied on the very last possible day for applications. I would imagine it's longer for those who apply earlier. Perhaps a5ie5lavida, anderszf, or others can offer other information.
Would you mind if I ask you about your stats? I won’t get my mcat score until June 25th and the application closes on June 30th. I’m a little worried that I may not hear back since it will be going in so late and my gpa is 3.0 undergrad and a 3.3 graduate. Thanks for your help in advance!

I'm trying to get my books together now, from what I have read from the syllabus, most of the textbooks are available for free through the university. Is that true?
Yeah, I didn't buy any textbooks for the program.

Do you know many of the entering SMP students apply to UCCOM? Any tips on getting into UCCOM after finishing the SMP? Aside from getting killer scores?
I know there were a few of us that applied and three of us that were accepted. As far as getting in after the SMP, I have a ton of tips because I worked at the Pre-professional advising center for 4 years, but they are not specific to a post SMP application. It may be better for someone who took a gap in between to answer that one.

How did you make the decision to apply while in the SMP versus applying the following year? Do you think being enrolled in the smp gave you upper hand while interviewing at UCCOM?
I made the decision to apply before I had been accepted into the SMP so there wasn't much though there. I am sure it gave me some upper hand but I was admitted before I was able to submit grade updates so I'm not sure how much upper hand that gave me.

Hey everyone, I'm also a recent grad of the program (2017-18) and happy to answer any questions!

First off, it's definitely not too late to send in an application. I applied in late May, did the SMP, and will be attending a US MD program in a few months. The SMP played a major role in improving my med school candidacy and I can't recommend it enough, especially if you're a high MCAT, low GPA applicant.

Also, the website hasn't updated yet for this cycle since people are still finalizing offers, but it's safe to say that 27 people from my class (or about 95%) got into medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello,
I’ve applied to and waiting for a response from Cincinnati. You say you’re in the SMP and been accepted to the SOM. When during the SMP did you apply to the med school?

Hello,
I’ve applied to and waiting for a response from Cincinnati. You say you’re in the SMP and been accepted to the SOM. When during the SMP did you apply to the med school?
I had already done primary and secondary applications by the time I started the SMP. I interview in October and was accepted in november

Just accepted my offer to the program! Is there currently a facebook group?

- how have you (personally) been finding the program?
- Any advice to future students planning on attending the program?

This program, as stated by others who have replied, is one of the top (if not the top) of its kind/for what its trying to achieve.

With that being said,

It was the single most difficult year of my entire life. It also was the most rewarding year of my life.

This program gives you an invaluable gift, and i'm not talking about the interview or the amazing resources.

This program will truly show you if you are capable of handling medical school.

It does this simply by the rigor of the curriculum alone. I applied because I had lackluster (sub 3.5/510) credentials, but in my mind, in my heart, I wanted to be a doctor and I still believed that, regardless of my academics, I was capable.

Cue this program*

You most likely will not be remotely near your loved ones/friends/mentors/pets. I certainly was not. I remember the first month and the class schedule. Just like any undergraduate course, we had daily lectures covering material that varied in density depending on the subject. I remembered overall just feeling proud that I got accepted into such a prestigious program, and I rode this feeling straight into my first exam of which I bombed.

Yep. It sucked. I immediately felt the all too familiar feeling of "here goes another opportunity" that permeated my undergraduate career. I also felt something brand new. A sense of intense urgency I never had in undergrad. In undergrad, it is easy and sometimes warranted to attribute lackluster grades (if any exist) to something else besides/along with our own performance. This was not the case after that exam. This new feeling of urgency stemmed from the utter realization that I had no easy excuses for my poor performance and this program was not one to just fail/perform lackluster in.

There were no more attributions toward:
-extracurriculars
-"not enough time"
-something came up with a friend/family member
-"but I promised them I was gonna...."
-I was "discovering" myself as a young adult in society (I love this one)
-"_reader___feel__free__to__insert__your__favorite__excuse__here__"
(the ones below are the worst)
-"the teacher was awful"
-"the teacher was really awful"
-"the teacher looked like....wait I never attended lecture..."

If not made apparent in the above text, what I'm trying to get at is that I simply was not prepared for the amount of work that was expected of me.

Now for anyone still reading this please carefully reflect on what I'm about to write and honestly decide whether this sounds even remotely familiar.

My problems were as follows:
-I had never taken notes/made flashcards/stayed on top of material in my entire life
-I had never "pre-" done anything for a class. If i showed up to lecture Id usually be exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before (damn you common room gamecube nights)
-rarely did i ever go to lecture in undergrad, thus I never developed/I lacked discipline in that area
-I had gotten by via cramming or believing in some faux-innate "good test-taker" ability (yeah 3.4 does not really agree with that)
-I always found myself laaaaaate at night in the library 2-3 days before a test / anything important coming up just to end up come exam time
sleep deprived (all nighter sometimes but not uncommon) thinking that whatever I just tried to comprehend was somehow going to stick(50/50)
-I thought that a reason contributing towards my poor performance was due to my "busy" schedule/personal life or the classic "some people are just naturally more gifted"

-->all of these avoided addressing one HUGE flaw:

The lack of work ethic.

Thats it. No more attributing / making excuses.
I lacked crucial skills such as staying on task / planning ahead / time management / active listening / and whatever else you-->the reader<--- can think of.

The reason I'm writing this abhorrent wall of text is because WITHOUT THESE SKILLS YOU WILL STRUGGLE/SHOULD RECONSIDER ATTENDING THIS PROGRAM.
If you managed to get by beforehand based off natural intelligence / whatever other metric under the sun/moon/half finished personal statement rough draft, thats all well and good but that won't take you far.

Work ethic is vital to this program and for any career. This is how the program shows you if you have what it takes to perform well in medical school. It will be apparent if you lack these skills/ if they need improvement.

After that test began a looooong journey of self improvement. It shook me to my core and in my worst moments I wondered why I even tried becoming a doctor because "clearly i wasnt smart enough" and other self-deprecating thoughts that are hard to ignore when the going gets tough.

-but i stuck with it
-i never gave myself excuses.
-i just worked smarter/harder
-i took baby steps
-i slowly improved

aaaaaand even then that first test was not my last failing grade. In fact I had a handful, however an upward trend developed and I learned by force to be the student I never was before:
-I first learned to finish the work assigned to me that day on that day
-I then learned that pre-reading never hurt anyone (taking notes beforehand also is great too but hey remember to get done that days stuff first)
-I learned to be present in class for the classes that required mandatory attendance; I listened, jotted down notes when possible, reviewed them after class
-I learned how wonderful a small class of approx 30 could be. I made a new family that year. We supported each other every step of the way.
-I learned that taking notes is only helpful if you review them
-schedule schedule schedule
-I also learned what worked/didnt work for me. Some learning strategies are not for everyone
-I developed the ability to study for roughly 9+ hours every day.
-I never once gave up. Do not give up. I learned to adapt quickly and cope.
-much much more

-Bottom line is this.

This program is amazing. You are given the chance to be fully integrated into a top notch medical curriculum.
This program will intentionally provide you with a curriculum fit for a student capable of doing all the things above.
It is going to intentionally challenge you like nothing else you've ever experienced.

IF YOU ARE ABLE TO ADAPT AND WILLING TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES.......Then this program will unintentionally strip away any excuses / bad habits / "what ifs" you've long ago internalized.

If you are able to weather the storm of self-doubt, bounce back from even the worst of grades, an remain resilient in your aspirations....

If you are willing to trust in the good judgement of the phenomenal program directors, the advice of your mentors, and friendship of those with you....

If you are willing to do meet the challenge head on and become the best version of yourself in order to not only survive but also thrive in a medical school curriculum/environment....

Then by all means apply because I decided to adapt and thus this program has given me the utmost confidence in myself and my capability to excel in medical school when I finally receive my acceptance :)

Good luck to everyone and their aspirations, im 99% sure (SEM 2.45 ....U571) that if you truly put the work in you will find success.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
This program, as stated by others who have replied, is one of the top (if not the top) of its kind/for what its trying to achieve.

With that being said,

It was the single most difficult year of my entire life. It also was the most rewarding year of my life.

This program gives you an invaluable gift, and i'm not talking about the interview or the amazing resources.

This program will truly show you if you are capable of handling medical school.

It does this simply by the rigor of the curriculum alone. I applied because I had lackluster (sub 3.5/510) credentials, but in my mind, in my heart, I wanted to be a doctor and I still believed that, regardless of my academics, I was capable.

Cue this program*

You most likely will not be remotely near your loved ones/friends/mentors/pets. I certainly was not. I remember the first month and the class schedule. Just like any undergraduate course, we had daily lectures covering material that varied in density depending on the subject. I remembered overall just feeling proud that I got accepted into such a prestigious program, and I rode this feeling straight into my first exam of which I bombed.

Yep. It sucked. I immediately felt the all too familiar feeling of "here goes another opportunity" that permeated my undergraduate career. I also felt something brand new. A sense of intense urgency I never had in undergrad. In undergrad, it is easy and sometimes warranted to attribute lackluster grades (if any exist) to something else besides/along with our own performance. This was not the case after that exam. This new feeling of urgency stemmed from the utter realization that I had no easy excuses for my poor performance and this program was not one to just fail/perform lackluster in.

There were no more attributions toward:
-extracurriculars
-"not enough time"
-something came up with a friend/family member
-"but I promised them I was gonna...."
-I was "discovering" myself as a young adult in society (I love this one)
-"_reader___feel__free__to__insert__your__favorite__excuse__here__"
(the ones below are the worst)
-"the teacher was awful"
-"the teacher was really awful"
-"the teacher looked like....wait I never attended lecture..."

If not made apparent in the above text, what I'm trying to get at is that I simply was not prepared for the amount of work that was expected of me.

Now for anyone still reading this please carefully reflect on what I'm about to write and honestly decide whether this sounds even remotely familiar.

My problems were as follows:
-I had never taken notes/made flashcards/stayed on top of material in my entire life
-I had never "pre-" done anything for a class. If i showed up to lecture Id usually be exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before (damn you common room gamecube nights)
-rarely did i ever go to lecture in undergrad, thus I never developed/I lacked discipline in that area
-I had gotten by via cramming or believing in some faux-innate "good test-taker" ability (yeah 3.4 does not really agree with that)
-I always found myself laaaaaate at night in the library 2-3 days before a test / anything important coming up just to end up come exam time
sleep deprived (all nighter sometimes but not uncommon) thinking that whatever I just tried to comprehend was somehow going to stick(50/50)
-I thought that a reason contributing towards my poor performance was due to my "busy" schedule/personal life or the classic "some people are just naturally more gifted"

-->all of these avoided addressing one HUGE flaw:

The lack of work ethic.

Thats it. No more attributing / making excuses.
I lacked crucial skills such as staying on task / planning ahead / time management / active listening / and whatever else you-->the reader<--- can think of.

The reason I'm writing this abhorrent wall of text is because WITHOUT THESE SKILLS YOU WILL STRUGGLE/SHOULD RECONSIDER ATTENDING THIS PROGRAM.
If you managed to get by beforehand based off natural intelligence / whatever other metric under the sun/moon/half finished personal statement rough draft, thats all well and good but that won't take you far.

Work ethic is vital to this program and for any career. This is how the program shows you if you have what it takes to perform well in medical school. It will be apparent if you lack these skills/ if they need improvement.

After that test began a looooong journey of self improvement. It shook me to my core and in my worst moments I wondered why I even tried becoming a doctor because "clearly i wasnt smart enough" and other self-deprecating thoughts that are hard to ignore when the going gets tough.

-but i stuck with it
-i never gave myself excuses.
-i just worked smarter/harder
-i took baby steps
-i slowly improved

aaaaaand even then that first test was not my last failing grade. In fact I had a handful, however an upward trend developed and I learned by force to be the student I never was before:
-I first learned to finish the work assigned to me that day on that day
-I then learned that pre-reading never hurt anyone (taking notes beforehand also is great too but hey remember to get done that days stuff first)
-I learned to be present in class for the classes that required mandatory attendance; I listened, jotted down notes when possible, reviewed them after class
-I learned how wonderful a small class of approx 30 could be. I made a new family that year. We supported each other every step of the way.
-I learned that taking notes is only helpful if you review them
-schedule schedule schedule
-I also learned what worked/didnt work for me. Some learning strategies are not for everyone
-I developed the ability to study for roughly 9+ hours every day.
-I never once gave up. Do not give up. I learned to adapt quickly and cope.
-much much more

-Bottom line is this.

This program is amazing. You are given the chance to be fully integrated into a top notch medical curriculum.
This program will intentionally provide you with a curriculum fit for a student capable of doing all the things above.
It is going to intentionally challenge you like nothing else you've ever experienced.

IF YOU ARE ABLE TO ADAPT AND WILLING TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES.......Then this program will unintentionally strip away any excuses / bad habits / "what ifs" you've long ago internalized.

If you are able to weather the storm of self-doubt, bounce back from even the worst of grades, an remain resilient in your aspirations....

If you are willing to trust in the good judgement of the phenomenal program directors, the advice of your mentors, and friendship of those with you....

If you are willing to do meet the challenge head on and become the best version of yourself in order to not only survive but also thrive in a medical school curriculum/environment....

Then by all means apply because I decided to adapt and thus this program has given me the utmost confidence in myself and my capability to excel in medical school when I finally receive my acceptance :)

Good luck to everyone and their aspirations, im 99% sure (SEM 2.45 ....U571) that if you truly put the work in you will find success.

I feel like many of us low GPA students are in our situation because of poor work ethic or at least need to know about the rude awakening that comes with these SMP programs. Seriously appreciate the write-up and good luck to you.

Hi! Has anyone gotten off of the waitlist? I’m currently on the waitlist and am pretty anxious...I sent a follow up haven’t heard anything from the program.

Hi! Has anyone gotten off of the waitlist? I’m currently on the waitlist and am pretty anxious...I sent a follow up haven’t heard anything from the program.
Would you mind if I ask you your stats?

Have you applied to any other programs? It’s my understanding that Cincinnati is probably one of the most selective SMPs that doesn’t have linkage so I would make sure you apply broadly.
I have! Luckily, I have also applied to BU MAMS and got accepted, but this would be my top choice program so I’m still hopeful.

I have! Luckily, I have also applied to BU MAMS and got accepted, but this would be my top choice program so I’m still hopeful.

BU MAMS is definitely a great program so I am sure it will work out either way. I hope you get in here too though!

So I’m confused on the interview criteria, if someone could clarify-it be very appreciated. I am considering applying next cycle to SMPs so basically later this year and I plan on submitting my AMCAS app next summer. So hypothetically if I was to start at Cincannati next fall-would I have to wait to finish before getting an interview?

If someone could point me to where to get more info for SMP and starting them after applying- that would be amazing!! Because most of them suggest to wait after finishing the program to apply

So I’m confused on the interview criteria, if someone could clarify-it be very appreciated. I am considering applying next cycle to SMPs so basically later this year and I plan on submitting my AMCAS app next summer. So hypothetically if I was to start at Cincannati next fall-would I have to wait to finish before getting an interview?

If someone could point me to where to get more info for SMP and starting them after applying- that would be amazing!! Because most of them suggest to wait after finishing the program to apply

The guaranteed interview is for graduates of the SMP so yes you would have to finish the program to get the guaranteed interview. You can always apply to Cincinnati med school while you are in the SMP but you aren’t guaranteed an interview and obviously your application would need to be competitive. Cincinnati’s median MCAT is pretty high at 518 so that’s something to remember.

I feel like many of us low GPA students are in our situation because of poor work ethic or at least need to know about the rude awakening that comes with these SMP programs. Seriously appreciate the write-up and good luck to you.

hey amigo, and yeah it was an extremely rude awakening hahaha
AND im still working on it, by no means did i perfect all my problems, but the important thing is I got much better.

IF you and anyone want to message me now or at any point in the program ill be happy to help out in any way i possibly can
^^^^also this in itself is a reason why this program is better than others, we care / they care / captain planet even cares

If anyone is looking for housing, I will be moving out this week and am looking for someone to take over my sublease for the months of June and July (or just July)! It's a 1 bed/bath through UC Grad Housing, at the Senator Place complex. All of the tenants are grad students, so it's very quiet which is great for being able to study. It's about a 5 minute drive (10 with traffic) to UCCOM, and the rent is much more affordable compared to other housing options in the area. All utilities are included in the rent. Feel free to PM for more details if interested!

Hello, all! Glad to see a new thread was created for the 2019-2020 class. As someone who graduated from the program in 2018 and was accepted to UC this past December, I'm a huge proponent of it. While I only check SDN every so often, I wanted to share this article I spotted on while logging into the UC website: Special Master’s Program in Physiology offers a pathway for medical school admission It's got some great testimonials, and if they'd asked me, I know I would have added mine :) Feel free to ask me any questions, though I can't guarantee a super quick response. Best of luck!
Hello,
I’ve been accepted to the 2019/20 class and am looking forward to joining. I know these small programs are heavily dependant on program directors,etc. Was Lorenz the director for your year as well?
Also,if I chose to apply to med school this cycle,how soon can I ask for a letter from the program?
Thank you!

If I apply to med school this cycle, can I send my grades in the program to the schools or no?

Hello,
I’ve been accepted to the 2019/20 class and am looking forward to joining. I know these small programs are heavily dependant on program directors,etc. Was Lorenz the director for your year as well?
Also,if I chose to apply to med school this cycle,how soon can I ask for a letter from the program?
Thank you!
I don’t think I would ask for a rec letter at the beginning of the program because they won’t know you yet.

Hi all! Can I ask what the usual turnaround for an admission decision (accepted/rejected/waitlist) is?

The email says 4-6 weeks, but has anyone heard back sooner? A lot of matriculation deposit deadlines are coming up for me for other programs....thank you!!! Much appreciated to anyone who responds :)

I got my acceptance around 3 weeks after my application was marked complete by their office.

Edit: and I dropped $1k+ on 3 SMP deposits because of the timing of acceptances and deadlines...rolling admissions is a blessing and a curse

Congrats on the acceptance :) :) :) !!!

Thank you for the information, I’ll try not to refresh my email every hour before the three weeks lol.

I know that struggle hahaha, waiting can be expensive

@a5ie5lavida But will the grades be available in time before med schools have made a decision?
It depends. You take one class at a time so your grade from your first real med block will be available around Halloween. Whether or not a school has made a decision on you at that point is entirely up to them.

Hi all! Did SMP students usually look for housing together? Is that recommended?

Anyone have any info on cost of attendance/how much money we can take out for living expenses?

I can’t answer that second part, but i do know out of state tuition is around $39,000! In state tuition is around $38,000 I believe.

I’m curious about that second question too, I received my FAN but don’t see a housing breakdown

If anyone is looking for housing, I will be moving out this week and am looking for someone to take over my sublease for the months of June and July (or just July)! It's a 1 bed/bath through UC Grad Housing, at the Senator Place complex. All of the tenants are grad students, so it's very quiet which is great for being able to study. It's about a 5 minute drive (10 with traffic) to UCCOM, and the rent is much more affordable compared to other housing options in the area. All utilities are included in the rent. Feel free to PM for more details if interested!

I’m interested :)! Can I ask how much the rent was? Do SMP students usually live together with other SMPers?

Sorry I couldn’t PM, for some reason I can’t!

Hi all! Did SMP students usually look for housing together? Is that recommended?

I'd say about half the people my year, including myself, roomed with someone else in the SMP. Most others either lived by themselves or from home if they were local. Rooming with someone in the SMP definitely works well since you'll have virtually-identical class and study schedules for the entire year.

@past students, what is the daily/weekly schedule like? I am thinking about living further away from campus to save money on rent but I’m not sure if I’ll need to be coming and going to campus a lot or if a lot of stuff is lecture-cast and/or not too spread out during the day. I.e. I can come to campus for mandatory stuff and then leave to study at home

The classes you share with med school students (FOMM, FOCM, and MSK) run from mid-Sept to late-Feb and are recorded with attendance "encouraged". The SMP-specific classes such as GMP, Neurophys, and Statistics do have required attendance and are generally clustered either in Aug-Sept or March-May. Between all those and other things like anatomy/histology labs, seminars, research, case studies, and review sessions, expect to be on-campus around 5 days a week (including weekends). Living within a short walking or driving distance to campus is 100% worth it if you aren't already local to the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users