University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by hiyhiy, Jan 3, 2019.

1. hiyhiy

Pre-Medical
    Suprised there doesn't seem to be a thread for this SMP yet, so I thought I'd start one. Anyone else applied and waiting to hear back?

2. anderszf

Pre-Medical
    I'm a current UC SMP student and I've been accepted into UCCOM if anyone has any questions please ask!

hiyhiy likes this.
  3. Prof_cinephile

Got a bunch of questions that I hope you are willing/able to answer:

- what students should apply to this program
    - any GPA / MCAT cutoffs for applying (or any idea what a competitive GPA/MCAT might be for this program?)
    - class size? (any students dropout of the program?)
    - matriculants from the program / # of interviews given to those in the program? (either what you heard or from last years batch)
    - do you know the percent of people who received IIs that actually got an acceptance?
    - how are the professors / staff?
    - how have you (personally) been finding the program?
    - have any complaints or things you would like to see changed?
    - Any advice to future students planning on attending the program?

Congratulations on your acceptance to UCCOM, and thanks in advance!

superposition and hiyhiy like this.
  4. verrager

Pre-Medical
    I just got my acceptance email today. I had everything turned in December 3rd.

hiyhiy likes this.
  5. Prof_cinephile

CONGRATS! Wish you the best of luck in the future. If you're comfortable doing so, could you share you stats/experiences?

6. verrager

Pre-Medical
    Of course. And best of luck to you!
    BS Microbiology
    cGPA: 3.26/sGPA: 3.2
    MCAT: 517 (129/128/131/129)
    1 year research, 1 publication as a second author
    No volunteering, worked 30+hrs a week all through undergrad.
    Shadowing: 60hr ED/5hr primary/ 5hr peds/ 5hr Ortho
    1000hr as EMT-B

7. naoise151

Pre-Medical
    what is the average gap of your class? mine is a 3.1 and my sga is a bit below 3 so i'm nt sure at this point if i should even consider applying to a smp

8. OP
    OP
    hiyhiy

Pre-Medical
    Before I emailed the program manager with similar questions and this is what she replied:
    To be a competitive applicant, we recommend an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above and an MCAT of 504 or above. To share additional information, our current students have an average undergraduate GPA of 3.40 and an average MCAT score of 511.

Hope this helps!

9. balrog26

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello, all! Glad to see a new thread was created for the 2019-2020 class. As someone who graduated from the program in 2018 and was accepted to UC this past December, I'm a huge proponent of it. While I only check SDN every so often, I wanted to share this article I spotted on while logging into the UC website: Special Master’s Program in Physiology offers a pathway for medical school admission It's got some great testimonials, and if they'd asked me, I know I would have added mine :) Feel free to ask me any questions, though I can't guarantee a super quick response. Best of luck!

10. balrog26

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1) Do you have a "blemish" on your record, but are otherwise a terrific applicant? Have you applied before and only been on waitlists? Basically, do you feel like you'd make a great med student, but there's just enough room for doubt in the mind of the adcom because of something on your app? This program removes that doubt by actually showing how you'd fair in M1 classes. That can be a blessing or a curse. Doing well or poorly can remove that doubt altogether in one direction or the other.

2) Not sure about cutoffs, but I'd say average was what hiyhiy said above.

3) My year (2018) had 10? interviews at UC during the program year with 5 acceptances to UC. Amongst those who reapplied or took a gap year, there were 9? UC interviews with 6 acceptances. There were also a couple MD acceptances to institutions other than UC during the program year and quite a few MD acceptances for those during the gap year. This was out of a class of 29. I'd say, by the end of this cycle, all but 3 people will have gotten into an MD or DO program, and one of those 3 may have chosen (and I emphasize chosen; it's not like they didn't have the stats) an alternative career path.

4) See website

5) The Master's professors and staff are all terrific with temperaments ranging from tough love to perfect listener. Is there room for improvement? Yeah. But that's the case at every institution, and I will say that with a class size this small, you get a ton of individual attention. Your study room is two corridors away from all of their offices. As for the med school faculty, take a look at UC's average STEP I score last year. You tell me how good they are. Hint: pretty darn good.

6) It was the single most challenging academic year of my life. There were times I wanted to quit and times I felt like I was king of the hill. I learned an enormous amount, and the sweat and tears were totally worth it. (I have a feeling this is how many med students would describe their first year as well).

7) I found the seminars to be of minimal benefit, and they changed that. You now have the ability to choose talks you find relevant and do a write up on them.

8) You are signing up for a heck of a ride. There is an enormous amount of work before you. This program costs 10's of thousands of dollars and a little bit of your sanity. What you gain far outweighs that: lifelong friends who know exactly what you went through, an opportunity to prove to med schools that you are exactly the sort of student they're looking for, study habits that will you to rock the M1 curriculum anywhere in the country, and access to world class faculty/research should you avail yourself of them.

Hope that all helps and good luck wherever you are in the process.

hiyhiy likes this.
  11. Gill_97

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How is this program and how is the school ? Looks like they guarantee interview if you do well. Is it too late to apply ?

12. balrog26

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Definitely not too late too apply! The guaranteed interview is new, but it's something the program director has been working on getting the med school to do for quite a while. Should be a nice leg up in the process if you can do well in the MMI.
    I will legitimately say that if you work hard and take advantage of the program, you will be super well prepared for whatever med school you attend.

13. a5ie5lavida

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I’m also an alum of the SMP and a current M1...I am also a huge proponent of this program so I’m willing to answer questions too! This SMP is undoubtedly the reason I got into medical school.

14. Gill_97

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Once you are accepted to the SMP, how much days do they give you to accept the offer ?

15. naoise151

Pre-Medical
    thanks!!!

16. naoise151

Pre-Medical
    is there anything you didnt like with the program or wish you could have changed?

17. balrog26

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I had a week, but I also applied on the very last possible day for applications. I would imagine it's longer for those who apply earlier. Perhaps a5ie5lavida, anderszf, or others can offer other information.

18. balrog26

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Most of the stuff I wished they'd have changed they are in the process of changing or have changed. For example, we used to have weekly seminars that were somewhat related to physiology, but were often far outside the realm of what any of us were interested in. Now, students get to choose seminars they attend. Many students decide to sit in one department Grand Rounds at UC or Cincinnati Children's Hospital. They just have to do a little write up on it.
    It's my understanding that the program directors are also revamping the neurophysiology course to better align with some of the Psych/Soc stuff from the MCAT. As it was, it was too superficial to be of any major help in a med school Neuro course, so retooling it to something like that would be really beneficial.
    Additionally, I have mixed feelings about their removal of a Capstone Project. Previously, students were required to either do research or write a manuscript quality review paper under the guidance of a faculty advisor. This project would then be presented via both poster and powerpoint. One of the people in my class even got published. I think it was valuable. They have since removed this requirement, as I think many students didn't take it seriously enough and that put a lot off strain on faculty advisors toward the end of the program. I'm not quite sure what's replaced it, but I know they're going to be doing something to help with presentation skills.
    Lastly, I and several other students were a bit miffed about the statistics course's midterm overlapping with some of the medical school coursework we were doing. Even that's been changed, so that the current students take the midterm after the completion of the musculoskeletal system block.
    After all of these changes, I can't see anything to complain about. The faculty are really receptive to constructive feedback, and that's one of the reasons I feel confident recommending the program to anyone who could benefit from an SMP.

19. usctrojans24

Balrog I'm a bit confused about this so of the class of 29 who applied concurrently how many got into med school? how many at UC?

20. balrog26

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    See, that's the thing: most classes don't apply concurrently. Most classes will have some people who apply the same year as taking all of these Master's Program classes and some people who apply after finishing the degree. Some even decide after getting a real look at medical school that medicine is not for them (something that I view as a blessing. Better to decide that after 1 year and end up with at least graduate degree).
    Of the 29 people in my class, at this point, 1 person is on two wait lists with another interview (all US MD schools) upcoming, 1 person I have no clue about, 1 has an interview in Europe coming up soon, 2 are waiting to hear back from US MD schools after interviews, 1 decided on a different path, and the rest (23) have either been admitted to or are currently attending medical schools (DO and MD) across the US after applying during the program year. No one ended up in the Caribbean or something like that. Of those admitted 23, 11 were admitted to UC. I am confident that the number will increase for my year within the next couple months.
    If you're interested in the breakdown for other years, I highly recommend looking at the Alumni section of the UC SMP website. Hope you find all that info helpful!

21. a5ie5lavida

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I’m honestly not sure about this, UC was my first choice SMP so I’m pretty sure I would have just responded immediately saying I was coming haha.