University of Connecticut Medicene/Dentistry ????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silly_boy2001

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to UConn at Storrs, CT in fall of this year. I liked the UConn campus, it was quite simply HUGE. Nevertheless, I will be majoring in comp. sci/engng. and take pre-med. courses juxtapose to former.
My question, rather request, is to ask someone [knowledgeable about UConn] to tell me whether or not this is a good idea (one essential detail: I am a good student and am used to hard-work course load) and what other possible paths do I have to UConn's med. school (besides regular bio, chem, english, or physics major).
Finally I wish to know that person's opinion about UConn and everything else that he/she can think off top of his/her head.
Thanks to anyone who will help me gain insight on these :confused: questions.

--- Rich :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

I went to UCONN Storrs. I would suggest
to you to join the honors club, or an
academic fraternity. I would also suggest
that you find another dedicated student and
rent an apartment in Celeron Square or a
small apartment complex off campus that
is not known for it's parties. UCONN is
a big school with big parties. Don't get
caught up in it. I would suggest a major
in neuroscience, biology, genetics. I
wouldn't try to major in electrical
engineering and take the premed courses.
The reason being, if your serious about
med school, is that it is important during
your senior year to have enough time to
study for the MCAT. The MCAT is a prime
factor in admissions. The other factor is
hospital experience and reference letters.
You need to have time to relax once in a
while, work out, play some intramural sports, go to huskies, so dual majoring
may not be the smartest thing to do.
I can't speak for you but am just giving
you suggestions. Work hard, relax,and
keep the parties to a minimum.
Tim.

I know nothing about UConn, but my 2 cents is that if you have a legit interest in compsci or engineering...don't be scared off because its not exactly premed perfect. Compsci knowledge is actually a good selling point IMHO.

But the truth is that many people in your position change their mind after the first year. So definitely take some chem and bio to see if the academics are interesting in the premed curriculum and to see if that is the path you want to take.

I partied my butt off in college, but I only had one major with a minor and I got involved to some degree but I'd hesitate to call myself the good samaritan of the year. If you're mature enough to handle it, then partying doesn't have to interfere with your academics. Enjoy the present sometimes too.

Double major if you want, just understand that it does take a significant amount of more work to do so and maybe an extra semester or two as well. There is something to be said about not overloading your academic schedule for the sake of other endeavors. Use summers for volunteering, hospital exposure etc. Consider research, but its not essential. Use office hours to get to know professors.

Ultimately, make sure you can handle the academics and then choose a couple of things that interest you and contribute to them significantly rather than spreading yourself too thin.

It is true that any major is ok for med school, but choose the major that is best for you as a person, not as a prospective med student. It is good to be ready for what you're in for, but it is stupid for you, as you enter college, to tailor everything for having the best possible resume.

Best wishes.