2022-2023 Connecticut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @11199904 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Connecticut Secondary Essay Prompts (1800 character limit each)

1. Highlight your experiences in the health care field. What insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician?

2. How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a physician or physician scientist?

3. Please take a moment to explain how the COVID-19 pandemic directly and personally affected you as it pertains to preparing for medical school. (e.g. MCAT test date delay, financial impact, research/clinical experiences, self-quarantine, etc.).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

All 1800 character limit

Highlight your experiences in the health care field. What insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician?

How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a physician or physician scientist?

Please take a moment to explain how the COVID-19 pandemic directly and personally affected you as it pertains to preparing for medical school. (e.g. MCAT test date delay, financial impact, research/clinical experiences, self-quarantine, etc.).

@wysdoc

All 1800 character limit

Highlight your experiences in the health care field. What insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician?

How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a physician or physician scientist?

Please take a moment to explain how the COVID-19 pandemic directly and personally affected you as it pertains to preparing for medical school. (e.g. MCAT test date delay, financial impact, research/clinical experiences, self-quarantine, etc.).
*1800 character limit (including spaces)

Did anyone else just get another secondary invitation, but this time to assign pre-reqs? Also, does UConn require 2 years of chemistry and chem lab (4 each total)? I thought it was just 2 years of chemistry including a semester-year of orgo?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else just get another secondary invitation, but this time to assign pre-reqs? Also, does UConn require 2 years of chemistry and chem lab (4 each total)? I thought it was just 2 years of chemistry including a semester-year of orgo?
Yes, I did!

I was wondering the same thing! my transcript does not explicitly say Chem lab but there was a lab component to my course.

Should I just put the chem course for both the "course" and the "lab" entries?

Yes, I did!

I was wondering the same thing! my transcript does not explicitly say Chem lab but there was a lab component to my course.

Should I just put the chem course for both the "course" and the "lab" entries?
I put my four general chemistry courses and labs for the first four entries. I took two semesters of orgo and TA'd one of the labs so for the fifth and sixth entries, I put the second semester of orgo and the chem lab I TA'd for. Then for the two orgo entries, I put my regular first semester of orgo and the corresponding lab. Sorry for the long-winded answer!

For those who have submitted, did you receive a confirmation email or anything? The portal says "finished" but there's no way to see a status, and I haven't gotten an email receipt or anything?

For those who have submitted, did you receive a confirmation email or anything? The portal says "finished" but there's no way to see a status, and I haven't gotten an email receipt or anything?
No, I didn't get a confirmation email, only an email a few days later asking me to assign prerequisite courses I've taken that meet their requirements. Nothing else though

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to fill out the prerequisites and I only have 3 chemistry lab courses from college. Both the Gen chems and orgo lab... Is this an issue? should I just repeat the orgo lab it was 2 credits. I would call the admissions office but it's 6:30 on a Friday lol
Thanks in advance!

I
Anyone receive complete email yet? I submitted 7/23 and haven't received any emails
I didn't get a complete email. I submitted 7/7 and then on 7/11 I received another email to submit my courses that fulfill their Prerequisites.

Anyone receive complete email yet? I submitted 7/23 and haven't received any emails
Also didn't receive a complete email and I submitted on 7/24. I emailed the office today to find out if I was complete and they replied back pretty quickly (like 10 minutes later).

Hi everyone,

I submitted my secondary questions and made the payment within two weeks. I didn't realize about the prerequisites and filled it in a few ays after 2 weeks. Does that mean my application was not 'finished' in under two weeks and will that be held against me? Thanks!

"Highlight your experiences in the health care field. What insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician?"
is this asking about the challenges physicians will face (ex: paperwork, breaking bad news to patients) or the problems in healthcare that physicians need to address (ex: health disparities)?

“Early Decision interviews are offered in late August and early September. Regular Decision interviews are conducted September through March.” (From UConn’s website)

I guess we’ll see some stuff pop up in the next few weeks

Just confirming if anyone received a "completed" email of any kind?

Anyone else notice how the secondary says "Please limit your responses to 1,800 characters (including spaces) for each essay question" but the character counter where you enter the essays doesn't count spaces? Did y'all stick to the instructions or go by the character counter limit?

Anyone else notice how the secondary says "Please limit your responses to 1,800 characters (including spaces) for each essay question" but the character counter where you enter the essays doesn't count spaces? Did y'all stick to the instructions or go by the character counter limit?
i sticked to 1800 including spaces

Reactions: 1 users
II around 10AM EST! IS, secondary submitted 7/8/22. This is my home state I'm so happy :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just submitted my secondary... Did not receive a complete email. Is this normal?

This cycle seems super slow for UConn, only 2 users here have gotten II and its almost halfway through October. Or maybe I'm just saying this to cope with not having any II's yet

I missed a phone call from Farmington today 😭😭 Idk if it was them or not

• Haha
Last year’s thread sounds like they only sent out email acceptances. Did you try calling the number back? I get frequent Red Cross calls from Farmington 😂

Reactions: 1 users
Were you ED by any chance? I get Red Cross calls from Farmington all the time too so lets hope it was just them and not the UConn haha

I’m getting a little worried rn

do y’all think there’s some underreporting on this thread or is UConn really this slow?

in-state resident and UConn alum, I’m really hoping to hear from them soon :/

I’m getting a little worried rn

do y’all think there’s some underreporting on this thread or is UConn really this slow?

in-state resident and UConn alum, I’m really hoping to hear from them soon :/
Nothing yet, don't worry

I lurk on here a lot so I'll throw in my info, IS reapplicant LM 74, secondary submitted 18Jul, II 27Sep, interviewed early October and they told my group we could expect a decision end of October. My student interviewer also told me I was the first candidate they were interviewing so it seems they are still very early on in the process.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey all I just wanted to throw my info out there for the group. The final part of my application was sent to UConn on 8/17. Received II on 9/2. Interview on 9/19. Accepted on Oct 21st in the afternoon. I believe the school conducts interviews weekly, perhaps on Mondays and Fridays. I believe the ADCOM meets monthly with a cumulative decision on the interviewees over the month (not weekly, but I could be wrong). Hopefully this information can be useful to some of y'all and I wish you nothing but the best of luck!

PS. Also the admissions email listed above is very receptive, whether it be questions or updates so don't be fearful if you have a question (maybe not about ADCOM decisions, but other things should be a go).

Would anyone like to form a group of accepted students? I think I'm going here and I'm excited to meet people!

Reactions: 4 users