~~University of Maryland c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Miraflorina

Dental Diva
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there?

;)

Members don't see this ad.

yessiree..... thanks for starting this thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
clp said:
yessiree..... thanks for starting this thread!

Hey clp, you're from MD? What do you think about Baltimore... as a place to live?

And to both of you, where will you be living this fall? I'm thinking of trying to get into those University Suites at least for the 1st year because they're furnished and the $$ includes all utilities as far as I know. Only thing is, I want my own place... and I'm not sure there are that many studios available..

I hope they send us some info soon...

Let's keep this thread going and hopefully more will join us as time goes on :)

dunno yet, i'm thinking about the apartment communities around the campus since they seem pretty sweet. Univeristy Suites is not bad, I went to see it when I went back a second time post-interview. But it's really small and very expensive if you're trying to get your own place. If you get one of those huge things and share tho it's not bad. Btw, it's weird but the floorplans they have up on their website arent the actual ones.
One of the residents at the dental clinic where I work graduated from MD last year, so I'm gonna ask him about the best places to live. BTW he said that despite some bad things about baltimroe, he had an awesome time and (surprise!) would gladly do it all over again.

coolraz said:
dunno yet, i'm thinking about the apartment communities around the campus since they seem pretty sweet. Univeristy Suites is not bad, I went to see it when I went back a second time post-interview. But it's really small and very expensive if you're trying to get your own place. If you get one of those huge things and share tho it's not bad. Btw, it's weird but the floorplans they have up on their website arent the actual ones.
One of the residents at the dental clinic where I work graduated from MD last year, so I'm gonna ask him about the best places to live. BTW he said that despite some bad things about baltimroe, he had an awesome time and (surprise!) would gladly do it all over again.
Any of you who come up to Bmore to look for a place, lemme know if you wanna swing by The Sail Cloth Factory for an apt (where I live now). I have a nicely sized loft by myself and pay $900 rent with $110 parking ($1010 total). This is a little pricy, but you get a washer and dryer in the place and the parking is VALET! And, it's only 2 blocks from the school and 3 blocks from Camden Yards. The room has a really sweet setup and very comfortable to live in. If you wanted to have a roommate (which many people do in the Sail Cloth), it's much cheaper at around $1100 and up ($550 each and up). The utilities run around $45-75 a month for me. So, definitely hit me up if you're interested in checking it out. Congrats on comin it MD guys!

so yeah, i've lived in MD, outside of DC, my entire life (except for when i was in college in illinois)....... here are my thoughts on baltimore:

- people bag on it, but baltimore is a solid, typical, east coast city with a lot of character. you have your good parts and your bad parts. ladies have got to be smart and be safe (don't walk alone at night anywhere etc.) the best part is that many areas have been revived around the city in the last few years, and the Westside (where UMD is located) is the area currently experiencing the rennaissance. not to mention the fact that baltimore is not a huge huge city so you can get to other places pretty quickly... ie the inner harbor, hot areas for young people like canton, fells point, or federal hill.

- i've been up to visit twice since the interview (once right before christmas and once yesterday) to check out living options and start to get a feel for the city. i plan to go up there about once or twice a month till we start, so i'll have more updates frequently. what i've seen so far has been positive though - university suites is indeed not a bad option. its close to the d-school, close to the library, still looks brand new, furnished, has utilities included, on the MD internet server, and a super way to meet other MD students. its a bit pricey, not gonna lie, but a tremendous option i think for first year so that you can get to know other kids. i have visited several of the other apt complexes near the school and was most impressed! many of them are in splendid condition and seem like great alternatives as well. it seems standard that these places all have gyms, and business centers (where you have access to computers and printers if you need them).

- also wanted to mention that you really need a car to live in baltimore, in my opinion. the public transportation is borderline terrible, and not a safe option for us ladies at night. don't bring a flashy car though - i talked to a security guard at one of the apts yesterday who said the biggest crime in the area were cars that were broken into. the best bet if you do bring a car would be to suck it up and pay for garage parking, and not to park on the street.

....anyway i can't think of much more right now, but i hope that some of this was helpful. i'll be in touch more soon.

p.s. coolraz, you should post your name under the official attendance thread!

TiggerJSA said:
Any of you who come up to Bmore to look for a place, lemme know if you wanna swing by The Sail Cloth Factory for an apt (where I live now). I have a nicely sized loft by myself and pay $900 rent with $110 parking ($1010 total). This is a little pricy, but you get a washer and dryer in the place and the parking is VALET! And, it's only 2 blocks from the school and 3 blocks from Camden Yards. The room has a really sweet setup and very comfortable to live in. If you wanted to have a roommate (which many people do in the Sail Cloth), it's much cheaper at around $1100 and up ($550 each and up). The utilities run around $45-75 a month for me. So, definitely hit me up if you're interested in checking it out. Congrats on comin it MD guys!

Tigger, where do most D1s live? Though I'm guessing that it doesn't matter if I live near other D1s because we'll all get a chance to meet in classes anyway. Maybe you can help me... I'm looking for a studio or 1BR to live in alone within walking distance of the Dschool. I'm bringing my car, so I'd like a place with a secure parking garage but I definitely don't want to drive to class everyday. Ideally, I'd like a modern place... and I definitely don't want to spend more than $1000 on rent, utilities and parking combined, if possible. The two reasons that attracted me to University Suites were that they are furnished (I have no furniture of my own since I was living abroad for the last 4 years and had to leave my stuff behind) and because they are literally right behind the Dschool. But if what clp said is true, I'd rather get my own place off campus.

Another unrelated question...

What's the summer research training program like? I'd like to move to Bmore as early as possible since I'm not too thrilled with where I'm living right now and I'd also like to get a chance to check the city out before classes start. Have you heard anything good (or bad) about that program?

clp said:
so yeah, i've lived in MD, outside of DC, my entire life (except for when i was in college in illinois)....... here are my thoughts on baltimore:

- people bag on it, but baltimore is a solid, typical, east coast city with a lot of character. you have your good parts and your bad parts. ladies have got to be smart and be safe (don't walk alone at night anywhere etc.) the best part is that many areas have been revived around the city in the last few years, and the Westside (where UMD is located) is the area currently experiencing the rennaissance. not to mention the fact that baltimore is not a huge huge city so you can get to other places pretty quickly... ie the inner harbor, hot areas for young people like canton, fells point, or federal hill.

- i've been up to visit twice since the interview (once right before christmas and once yesterday) to check out living options and start to get a feel for the city. i plan to go up there about once or twice a month till we start, so i'll have more updates frequently. what i've seen so far has been positive though - university suites is indeed not a bad option. its close to the d-school, close to the library, still looks brand new, furnished, has utilities included, on the MD internet server, and a super way to meet other MD students. its a bit pricey, not gonna lie, but a tremendous option i think for first year so that you can get to know other kids. i have visited several of the other apt complexes near the school and was most impressed! many of them are in splendid condition and seem like great alternatives as well. it seems standard that these places all have gyms, and business centers (where you have access to computers and printers if you need them).

- also wanted to mention that you really need a car to live in baltimore, in my opinion. the public transportation is borderline terrible, and not a safe option for us ladies at night. don't bring a flashy car though - i talked to a security guard at one of the apts yesterday who said the biggest crime in the area were cars that were broken into. the best bet if you do bring a car would be to suck it up and pay for garage parking, and not to park on the street.

....anyway i can't think of much more right now, but i hope that some of this was helpful. i'll be in touch more soon.

p.s. coolraz, you should post your name under the official attendance thread!

clp, thanks for all the great info. I've heard terrible things about Bmore but I have to tell you, when I visited, (granted it was only 23 hours), I thought the area around the school and inner harbor were really nice.

Keep me posted on what you find in terms of apartments. Read my comments in my post to Tigger on what I'm looking for in an apartment and definitely get back to me if you see a nice complex.

When do you think you'll be moving? I'm hoping I'll be ready to move by May at the latest, though I'm not sure how that's going to work unless I find some sort of employment up there!

any other opinions on MD and baltimore are welcome...

clp said:
any other opinions on MD and baltimore are welcome...
i lived in bmore for 6 years so i'll share the good, the bad and the very ugly...

the good: camden yards and ravens stadium are right down the street! fells point (average bars -- the highlight is the halloween party on the square, if you like jazz goto bertha's bar), federal hill and canton (great areas, yuppy crowds). my favorite bar was "red maple" in mt. vernon (best martinis and tapas in town... kinda pricey though so make friends with a bartender bc the owners never take inventory). a funny aside, olympian michael phelps used to frequent red maple until his DUI. for culture, the hippodrome and BSO have good deals for students. goto the baltimore museum of art (BMA) and go straight to the top floor, great modern art section. the ottobar, sonar and the funk box are the only decent music venues in town, you'll have to go DC or Philly for most shows bc artists usually skip over bmore. best breakfast in town is at "pete's grille" in charles village. best movie theater is "the charles" -- lots of indie and foreign flix... the maryland film festival in april/may is a must for any film buff!

the bad: baltimore is a very poor, addicted and violent city. the public schools system is a mess ($30M off budget), the police force is corrupt and the politicians are inept. i'd say 20% of the housing in bmore is condemned, once you leave the inner harbor, you'll see what i'm talking about. investments are beginning to turn things around, but it is a very long road. until bmore gets a hold of the heroin problem and fixes the school system, the cycle will continue.

the very ugly: i can't stress enough how dangerous bmore is. i worked at hopkins hospital and there is a bmore police officer stationed on every corner of the medical campus 24/7... no joke. unfortunately, i speak about the violence from personal experience... two of my friends (a classmate and soccer teammate) were murdered in seperate incidents last year. i'm not trying to scaremonger but the violence is real -- please please be smart and be safe!

in the end, i'm glad i went to school in the city (i :love: city life) but in hindsight i'm not sure i picked the right city...

Reactions: 1 user
La Miraflorina said:
Tigger, where do most D1s live? Though I'm guessing that it doesn't matter if I live near other D1s because we'll all get a chance to meet in classes anyway. Maybe you can help me... I'm looking for a studio or 1BR to live in alone within walking distance of the Dschool. I'm bringing my car, so I'd like a place with a secure parking garage but I definitely don't want to drive to class everyday. Ideally, I'd like a modern place... and I definitely don't want to spend more than $1000 on rent, utilities and parking combined, if possible. The two reasons that attracted me to University Suites were that they are furnished (I have no furniture of my own since I was living abroad for the last 4 years and had to leave my stuff behind) and because they are literally right behind the Dschool. But if what clp said is true, I'd rather get my own place off campus.

Another unrelated question...

What's the summer research training program like? I'd like to move to Bmore as early as possible since I'm not too thrilled with where I'm living right now and I'd also like to get a chance to check the city out before classes start. Have you heard anything good (or bad) about that program?
Most D1 students live in a variety of apts. One is mine, The Sail Cloth Factory, then there's the Malboro, the Malboro Classic, The Redwood (the most expensive), University Suites, and then a bunch of town homes. I think all of these complexes are similar in price for the most part. Again, if you want a secure parking garage, you can't beat The Sail Cloth Factory (24 hour valet on duty and gated in). You will just inch over $1000 a month with all included (probably around $1075-1100 with rent, parking, and utilities).

As for the summer research program... Do it! I did it between 1st and 2nd year. Now, I was bored with my research project, but the hours were good, my mentor was sweet, the pay is good (I think around $1300-1400 a month), you get comfortable in the city if you've never been before, and it looks great on your resume for any post grad aspirations (especially specialty, and especially if you get published, which many participants do). So, I say definitely do it if you get the chance. Just make sure you don't miss the application deadline which I think is around April 1st. Feel free to keep the questions comin when they come up...

Reactions: 1 user
syn_apse said:
i lived in bmore for 6 years so i'll share the good, the bad and the very ugly...

the good: camden yards and ravens stadium are right down the street! fells point (average bars -- the highlight is the halloween party on the square, if you like jazz goto bertha's bar), federal hill and canton (great areas, yuppy crowds). my favorite bar was "red maple" in mt. vernon (best martinis and tapas in town... kinda pricey though so make friends with a bartender bc the owners never take inventory). a funny aside, olympian michael phelps used to frequent red maple until his DUI. for culture, the hippodrome and BSO have good deals for students. goto the baltimore museum of art (BMA) and go straight to the top floor, great modern art section. the ottobar, sonar and the funk box are the only decent music venues in town, you'll have to go DC or Philly for most shows bc artists usually skip over bmore. best breakfast in town is at "pete's grille" in charles village. best movie theater is "the charles" -- lots of indie and foreign flix... the maryland film festival in april/may is a must for any film buff!

the bad: baltimore is a very poor, addicted and violent city. the public schools system is a mess ($30M off budget), the police force is corrupt and the politicians are inept. i'd say 20% of the housing in bmore is condemned, once you leave the inner harbor, you'll see what i'm talking about. investments are beginning to turn things around, but it is a very long road. until bmore gets a hold of the heroin problem and fixes the school system, the cycle will continue.

the very ugly: i can't stress enough how dangerous bmore is. i worked at hopkins hospital and there is a bmore police officer stationed on every corner of the medical campus 24/7... no joke. unfortunately, i speak about the violence from personal experience... two of my friends (a classmate and soccer teammate) were murdered in seperate incidents last year. i'm not trying to scaremonger but the violence is real -- please please be smart and be safe!

in the end, i'm glad i went to school in the city (i :love: city life) but in hindsight i'm not sure i picked the right city...

Hmmmm, I've heard that the city is dangerous from just about everyone I've talked to. May I ask how your friends were killed? And where? How's the area around the UMB campus, inner harbor, and the other areas where students might venture off to (i.e. nightlife spots etc...)

I just came from living in an extremely dangerous city (Lima, Peru) so I can't imagine it'd be worse than that... though I might be in for a surprise, who knows. I'd just like to know what spots are considered dangerous before moving up there... In Lima, I survived 4 years with only one personal assault by knowing where the bad areas were and avoiding them when possible... that, and carrying my handy-dandy mace keychain wherever I went!

Members don't see this ad :)
one thing i learned yesterday too about condemned housing.... sometime its b/c these places have been deemed unfit to live, sometimes its b/c they been abandoned or neglected or whatever, and sometimes its b/c someone else has bought the land to be developed. while "condemned" housing usually is bad, it also can be a positive thing if it means that someone is trying to knock down all the bad places and build anew!

La Miraflorina said:
Hmmmm, I've heard that the city is dangerous from just about everyone I've talked to. May I ask how your friends were killed?
my classmate was sexually assaulted and strangled when she startled a burglar who broke into her apartment. my soccer teammate was stabbed in the heart when he confronted a burglar in his rowhouse. both homicides were in charles village -- an area of baltimore that is considered "safe" relative to the rest of the city.

sorry if i'm bumming anybody out. these were isolated and random murders, yet they are also symptoms of the larger problems of baltimore city. two johns hopkins students, so smart and full of promise... may they rest in peace.

baltimore's motto is "the greatest city in america"...
i am not in love with the modern world... :(

syn_apse said:
my classmate was sexually assaulted and strangled when she startled a burglar who broke into her apartment. my soccer teammate was stabbed in the heart when he confronted a burglar in his rowhouse. both homicides were in charles village -- an area of baltimore that is considered "safe" relative to the rest of the city.

sorry if i'm bumming anybody out. these were isolated and random murders, yet they are also symptoms of the larger problems of baltimore city. two johns hopkins students, so smart and full of promise... may they rest in peace.

baltimore's motto is "the greatest city in america"...
i am not in love with the modern world... :(

So neither one was doing something he/she shouldn't have been doing like walking around at 4am in a drunken stupor... right in their apartments :scared: That's just terrible :( I'm sorry.

So where do you suggest living?! What about those high-rise apts with 24 hour security? Or did your friends have that in their buildings?

just wanted to say congrats to all those who recently heard from UMD ... can't wait to meet everyone!

Hey all, I just received the email acceptance. My number # 1 choice, and I can't be more excited!

I've browsed through all the comments above, and I will have to agree with most. Baltimore, especially the area around the dental school, is just a few blocks too far from the inner harbor. It's crazy how within one block Baltimore can turn from a moderately safe, entertainment section to crime ridden.

I went to school in College Park and I have a lot of friends and family from the Baltimore area. If you're willing to spare a 20 minute commute (we'll beat morning rush since classes start at what, 8? ...and evening commute since we'll be in the library until what, 1 am?) There is plenty of housing around the UMBC campus in Canton, around BWI airport and just up rte 83 in suburbs such as Towson (and suburbs of Towson heh, its big). All 20 minutes away.

I think I wrote this on another post, but if anyone is in the DC/Baltimore corridor and wants to meet up, I would love to meet some future colleagues.

Julia.

the 2 murdered students were Chris Elser and Linda Trihn. google them. thier murder was such a sad story. especially that of Chris. the dude was alive after the murder and his friends said their goodbyes the next morning before he succumbed. i hate baltimore!!!!!...it smells like murder...but umd dental is good and so is the new building....

still, personnaly, i would never live in bmore. sure the risk of being murdered is minute, but i would never take that risk. there are things in life that are worth dying for, but umd d-school is not one of them.

fightingspirit said:
the 2 murdered students were Chris Elser and Linda Trihn. google them. thier murder was such a sad story. especially that of Chris. the dude was alive after the murder and his friends said their goodbyes the next morning before he succumbed. i hate baltimore!!!!!...it smells like murder...but umd dental is good and so is the new building....

still, personnaly, i would never live in bmore. sure the risk of being murdered is minute, but i would never take that risk. there are things in life that are worth dying for, but umd d-school is not one of them.

I am interested in meeting up with my future classmates as well. I will hopefully be moving up there in may or june from Georgia. I want to get settled down and get used to my surroundings before starting the hectic life of a Dental student. My future wife and I are going to try and find a place between d.c. and baltimore to be in a safer environment and b.c. she will be a nurse in the d.c. area. We should get a date up for a few of us to meet this summer. Of course we have a lot of time to do so. Just a fun thought.

berryfremont said:
I am interested in meeting up with my future classmates as well. I will hopefully be moving up there in may or june from Georgia. I want to get settled down and get used to my surroundings before starting the hectic life of a Dental student. My future wife and I are going to try and find a place between d.c. and baltimore to be in a safer environment and b.c. she will be a nurse in the d.c. area. We should get a date up for a few of us to meet this summer. Of course we have a lot of time to do so. Just a fun thought.

I am living in a city called Catonsville, near the border of Baltimore County and Baltimore City.

This place is relatively safe, if you find the right apartment complex.

For you, berryfremont, if you need a place to settle in between baltimore and washington d.c., Columbia, MD is a perfect place. 30 min commute both north (for you) and 30 min commute south (for you wife to D.C.)

Lots and lots of townhouses and condos you can rent or buy out...check out baltimoresun.com for listings or craigslist.

Wow, it's so good to finally see more names on this thread! Congrats everyone ;)

So it sounds like some of you are moving up late spring/early summer... I was thinking of doing that too. I can't decide if I should do the summer research program or just get a job in a restaurant... or... if I should just take off and travel. I know D1 is going to be pretty intense and so traveling would probably be best... but I really wanted to settle into Bmore before starting...

Ayyy, what to do? What to do? :confused:

Anyway, back to the housing options. So is it the general consensus (sp.?) that University Suites are really small and not worth the $$? My only problem with other housing options is that I don't want to have to walk 20 minutes everyday, especially in the cold and snow!

Let's keep each other updated as to when we're moving so if some of us are there over the summer, we can get together and check out the city.

La Miraflorina said:
Wow, it's so good to finally see more names on this thread! Congrats everyone ;)

So it sounds like some of you are moving up late spring/early summer... I was thinking of doing that too. I can't decide if I should do the summer research program or just get a job in a restaurant... or... if I should just take off and travel. I know D1 is going to be pretty intense and so traveling would probably be best... but I really wanted to settle into Bmore before starting...

Ayyy, what to do? What to do? :confused:

Anyway, back to the housing options. So is it the general consensus (sp.?) that University Suites are really small and not worth the $$? My only problem with other housing options is that I don't want to have to walk 20 minutes everyday, especially in the cold and snow!

Let's keep each other updated as to when we're moving so if some of us are there over the summer, we can get together and check out the city.
Definitely do the summer research if you're gonna be there and want a job. Also, give me a PM when you're coming up and I can give you a brief tour of my building (3 minutes walking distance, not that expensive in my opinion, and very nice)....

La Miraflorina said:
Anyone out there?

;)

HEY, you copied our fancy title style :( :D

Audio said:
HEY, you copied our fancy title style :( :D

AHHHH the plagerism-police :scared:

No seriously, I thought it looked really nice so thanks for the idea :oops:

fightingspirit said:

The untimely deaths of those two kids is just tragic. I seriously wanted to sob reading both of their stories. They both seemed like great friends. I hope that it just teaches the rest of us to live strong and live right. I'm sorry if I seem bummed out, but I am. God's blessings to both of them.

La Miraflorina said:
AHHHH the plagerism-police :scared:

No seriously, I thought it looked really nice so thanks for the idea :oops:

It's ok :D At least we were copied by students from a worthy dental school :thumbup:

anyone recieve their official acceptance package in the mail yet from the 1/18 acceptances? Also, I am curious to know what goodies lie within? (people from 1st round of acceptances fill us in)

sure, i'll tell you what's in the acceptance package:

1-free Ipod
2-chinese fortune cookie telling you that you've been accepted in chinese
3-free pair of underwear from the 2Exist line (for girls, it's victoria's secret)
4-free colored atlas of the ghettos of Bmore telling you what places you should avoid
5-one free touthbrush and jonhson and johnson dental floss
:D :D :D :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :D :D :laugh: :laugh:

Can you declare for in-state residency after the first year in Maryland?

hmm clever fightingspirit...toothinator's question has been lingering in my mind as well..if anyone knows that would be great

ok...now i need to provide a serious answer to touthinator:

the answer to the question is NO!!! i.e, if you are not a resident of maryland and if you are residing in maryland for educational purposes (attending d-school), then you cannot be classified as maryland resident even if you request re-classification after the first year of d-school. the only way to be re-classified is to finish d-school there, and then start working as a dentist for 12 months and then apply for maryland residency!!!

What are all the criteria I must fulfill for 12 months to meet the Regents definition of "Permanent Resident of the State of Maryland?"

There are 9 criteria. They may be condensed as follows:

1.Not residing in the State of Maryland primarily to attend an educational institution.

2.Owning or renting and continuously occupying living quarters in Maryland. There must be a genuine deed or lease in the student's name. The rent must be typical of the area.

3.Having substantially all personal property in Maryland.

4.Paying Maryland income tax.

5.Registering all vehicles in Maryland

6.If licensed, possessing a valid Maryland driver's license.

7.If registered, being registered to vote in Maryland.

8.Receiving no public assistance from a state other than Maryland.

9.Having the legal ability under law to live permanently and without interruption in Maryland.

You must read the Classification Policy to learn the details of each requirement.

Q: I applied to the Graduate School while residing in another state attending college. I had not previously lived in Maryland. I was admitted as an "Out-of-State" student. Quite some time has now passed and I believe I meet all the criteria for "In-State." Am I eligible to be reclassified?

Yes. A classification decision is based on the facts as they exist at the time you seek reclassification. At the time you were admitted, you were assigned "Out-of-State" status. You satisfied few, if any, of the criteria for being a "Permanent Resident of the State of Maryland. Principal among these was that you were "... [R]esiding in the State of Maryland primarily to attend an educational institution." There is a presumption in the Classification Policy that says if you were residing outside Maryland at the time of application, you are residing in Maryland primarily for the purpose of attending an educational institution. And, in fact, the presumption was valid. You had come to Maryland primarily to attend the University.

However, with the passage of time, your personal, professional, and/economic circumstances may have changed. So, an examination of the facts in your Petition for Reclassification may now demonstrate you are residing in Maryland for a more complex set of reasons. You may no longer be here primarily to attend the University. For example, you may hold a job in the community; have bought a house here; have a Maryland spouse; or have children in Maryland public schools.

Your original Out-of-State classification is not permanent. The presumption originally raised by your application from another state may no longer be valid. It can be rebutted with new facts. But, the burden is on you. You should outline your reasons for living in Maryland as part of your Petition for Reclassification. Obviously, you must meet all the other criteria as well.

i:e, for out of staters, things are a bit more difficult and remain difficult until you finish d-school.

good luck

see berry, i am not always giving "clever answers"...lol

Thanks for the info fightingspirit. I was curios because I was debating whether or not to attend my UMD interview coming up.

What if you work part-time in MD though and pay state income taxes and do all the other jazz?!

bump....still wanna know if anyone has recieved an acceptance package from the last offers of admission...wondering if i should call them and ask or if i should just wait for it..I'm getting antsy and want to go ahead and send in my 300 bucks (i think that's what it is)

berryfremont said:
bump....still wanna know if anyone has recieved an acceptance package from the last offers of admission...wondering if i should call them and ask or if i should just wait for it..I'm getting antsy and want to go ahead and send in my 300 bucks (i think that's what it is)
I got the email on the 18th (I think) and then recieved the offical letter this past saturday. It includes a congratulations letter, a form to send back, and a packet about their requirements for matriculation. If you haven't received it yet, you may want to call.

berryfremont said:

I was informed of admission on the 18th as well and my acceptance packet has been sitting on my desk at home since Monday. You definitely need to see what happened.... may have been misplaced in the mail?? Hope u receive it soon and congratulations on ur acceptance!

Hey, have you guys received anything from UMD since sending in your deposit?! I thought I'd get some info in the mail about housing, email accounts (to get financial aid package) and other things of that nature... but I haven't gotten anything except a receipt from my deposit :rolleyes:

well, you are light years ahead of me...i still haven't gotten my acceptance letter...stupid post office

hey guys - just wanted to say that i haven't gotten anything from umd except for the deposit receipt either. but i went on their website, dug around on the pages for the most recent class, and noticed that housing info and other stuff like that was sent out around the beginning of march last year, so i'm assuming that will be close to the time we'll begin to receive more info. just thought i'd pass that along. can't wait to meet you all....

ahoy hoy - i finally came off the bench and have whole heartedly committed to MD. i finally got unofficial word that i will be able to get in state tuition by the spring of 1st year, or fall of second ... so it can be done!

i'm hoping to buy or rent a townhouse in the burbs. so far i'm considering owings mills, hunt valley/cockeysville, or ellicott city, and suggestions?

i think it would be great to try and meet for lunch or something before orientation ... it would be great to have a few familiar faces around during that first day or two.

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
ahoy hoy - i finally came off the bench and have whole heartedly committed to MD. i finally got unofficial word that i will be able to get in state tuition by the spring of 1st year, or fall of second ... so it can be done!

OK ok ok, so it can be done... but HOW?!??!?? :confused:

And BTW, congrats on a great decision :p

the key for me ended up being family in Maryland, which is my main motivation for staying on the east coast. for that reason, i have not returned to maryland primarily for education purposes, but for family. apparently changing my license asap and stating that on an appeal will work out for me by soph year at the latest.

the fact that i lived there from age 6 to 23 actually has zero influence though, which was the aggravation that sent me looking for other schools initially. one year working in VA while i applied is apparently way more important (even though i interviewed and got the job at my headquarters in Maryland!).

anyway, i realize not everyone has a setup like that to help them out. however, while i got the impression that maryland is a tricky state to get residency in, the phone number they gave us at the interview to discuss residency concerns with led me to a really helpful guy who went through my whole life story looking for a way to help me out.

for anybody out there still checking the mailbox everyday for a matriculation packet, it looks like it won't be until june.

Everybody is talking about their baltimore horror stories. Well I talked to a friend, who is in the GPR at Uva where I intern and he graduated from UMB last year. He said he never had a single bad experience, and the worst thing that happened to his friends were car-break-ins.
He said he just stuck to the nice areas: inner harbor, federal hill, fells point and the dental school. The rest of baltimore is crap, but you'll be fine as long as you dont go there, and you'll know where not to go cus you'll DEFINETELY feel like you dont belong ; )

Look forward to seeing all of ya this fall!

BTW: if you dont yet know, Maryland has its own forum, here's the link,

http://dspub.umaryland.edu/index.php

hope we can get a sense of community going there (if you've seen the penn student forums, you know what i'm talking about)

hmm that forum is ghostly....Just found out I could get in state status b.c. my fiancee will be in the army..and anyone that is married to someone in the service can get in state! sweeettt..that saves me about 100K

Time to go marry an army chick : )
Hey 100k is worth it!