University of Minnesota c/o 2024 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS interview invite!

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear about what date we get? I have an interview the first and will already be out of town the second :nailbiting:

It looks in the email they said the latest that we should hear back is Thursday, January 9th with our interview slot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks in the email they said the latest that we should hear back is Thursday, January 9th with our interview slot!
Oops, I was obviously too excited to read everything thoroughly haha!

omg! OOS interview!
Definitely was not expecting that. I glanced at the email preview on my phone and thought it was a rejection letter at first

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so excited to finally get to post this, OOS Interview Invite!!!

omg! OOS interview!
Definitely was not expecting that. I glanced at the email preview on my phone and thought it was a rejection letter at first
Haha it definitely reads like a rejection to start.

Everyone make sure to check your spam folder.. that’s where mine ended up :unsure:

Well hi there! I graduated in 2017 and when I left they had just started a semester long lab animal elective. They also started a residency in lab animal and had an amazing two week rotation for fourth year. Overall, a lot more options than they had previously. There's also a research animal medicine club on campus and some great researchers at the U. Others may have more updated info, but opportunities are there if you look for them. :)
OOS interview invite! Does anyone know in regards to curriculum how much exposure you’d get to lab animal/exotics?

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

OOS interview invite. Wish this Californian luck in the snow!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

The interview options have 2 days listed like a Friday and a Saturday and I just want to make sure I understood the email correctly that we only have to go one day?

The interview options have 2 days listed like a Friday and a Saturday and I just want to make sure I understood the email correctly that we only have to go one day?
So I saw the forwarded email invite, and it looks like on Friday's, they are only doing interviews, but on Saturday's they are doing both interviews and a tour of the program. It doesn't sound like they are doing a tour of the program on Friday's, but they do have the optional tour at the Equine Center on Friday night.

It sounds like they have all the typical interview day programming on the Saturday (Q&A, tour, etc), so if you interview on Friday, you won't get all the bells and whistles if you do not attend on Saturday as well. I would assume you are only evaluated on the interview itself and not the other programming, so maybe attendance on the Saturday isn't mandatory, but highly encouraged.

There are activities both days for OOS applicants, but your interview will only be on either Friday or Saturday. However, I encourage you to take advantage of everything that we offer across the 2 days - we have a tour of our equine center (which just got a standing CT machine this year, we're all super stoked about that!) and some mingling with professors and student ambassadors Friday night, and then Saturday usually has tours of the program and panels with the student ambassadors (plus tours of the raptor center are an option as well). You're not evaluated on things outside of your interview, but I think it's a good opportunity to see what the program has to offer and get a chance to talk more with those of us who go here! :)

There are activities both days for OOS applicants, but your interview will only be on either Friday or Saturday. However, I encourage you to take advantage of everything that we offer across the 2 days - we have a tour of our equine center (which just got a standing CT machine this year, we're all super stoked about that!) and some mingling with professors and student ambassadors Friday night, and then Saturday usually has tours of the program and panels with the student ambassadors (plus tours of the raptor center are an option as well). You're not evaluated on things outside of your interview, but I think it's a good opportunity to see what the program has to offer and get a chance to talk more with those of us who go here! :)

Thank you for the response. I would love to go both days. I live in Washington and I have another interview Friday 1/31 in Michigan so I was hoping to combine the trip to try and make it more affordable. I will see what I can do.

OOS interview invite! It went to my spam folder so I didn’t even realize until I came to check here and saw everyone talking about it. Got a margarita last night and the waiter asked if I was celebrating, I guess I was and just didn’t know it yet :clap:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Declined my invite. Best of luck to those on the waitlist!

OOS interview invite! Does anyone know in regards to curriculum how much exposure you’d get to lab animal/exotics?
Whoops I haven't been online for a bit- I know some of the lab animal stuff was covered by someone else so I'll let you know about exotics!
We have a zoo/exotics/avian/wildlife club where we do a lot of cool lectures about exotics and wildlife, as well as wetlabs for procedures and handling. The Raptor center on campus is somewhere you could volunteer or shadow, and the wildlife rehab center nearby is the same for everything that isn't raptors. In core classes the teachers try to include exotics when they can but it isn't emphasized very hard. Second year we do take Avian Core that is required. There's a non-traditional animal elective first year where different vets come in and talk about lots of different careers you can have with zoo animals, exotics, wildlife, fish, you name it. There's also a topics in zoo med course where you can actually go to the zoo with the professor and see some cool procedures! Second semester and onward there's a Zoo rounds class where vets from the zoos nearby and the raptor center meet and round with our exotics-enthusiast pathologist and talk about pertinent cases/topics (for example when I took it we covered CWD, bird wound healing, some weird virus cases, etc). I don't know what is offered in terms of third year electives. For rotations there is an exotic necropsy rotation with that pathologist and a raptor center rotation, but for the most part exotics work will be with externships.

Reactions: 3 users
Whoops I haven't been online for a bit- I know some of the lab animal stuff was covered by someone else so I'll let you know about exotics!
We have a zoo/exotics/avian/wildlife club where we do a lot of cool lectures about exotics and wildlife, as well as wetlabs for procedures and handling. The Raptor center on campus is somewhere you could volunteer or shadow, and the wildlife rehab center nearby is the same for everything that isn't raptors. In core classes the teachers try to include exotics when they can but it isn't emphasized very hard. Second year we do take Avian Core that is required. There's a non-traditional animal elective first year where different vets come in and talk about lots of different careers you can have with zoo animals, exotics, wildlife, fish, you name it. There's also a topics in zoo med course where you can actually go to the zoo with the professor and see some cool procedures! Second semester and onward there's a Zoo rounds class where vets from the zoos nearby and the raptor center meet and round with our exotics-enthusiast pathologist and talk about pertinent cases/topics (for example when I took it we covered CWD, bird wound healing, some weird virus cases, etc). I don't know what is offered in terms of third year electives. For rotations there is an exotic necropsy rotation with that pathologist and a raptor center rotation, but for the most part exotics work will be with externships.
Thank you so much! I actually declined my invite but I’m sure this will be really helpful to someone

Don’t know if I’m the only IS applicant in this thread but if there are any others I’ll see you February 6th! 9:30 AM interview slot! Again, good luck everyone!!

IS interview at 9:30 on Jan 30th!

OOS interview on 2/7 at 2:15!! Super excited :)

OOS interview on 2/14 at 8:15! :love:

OOS interview 1/31 at 10:45 AM :)
I am relieved they did not schedule me first thing in the morning.
Still can't believe this is actually happening!!!

OOS 2/8 @ 2pm!!

Any idea what their interview format is? I know it said behavioral so is that like “tell me about a time when...” or “describe your worst day” type of questions?

Any idea what their interview format is? I know it said behavioral so is that like “tell me about a time when...” or “describe your worst day” type of questions?
All “tell me about a time when” questions! But they will also ask follow up questions based on your response so it ends up being relatively conversational

All “tell me about a time when” questions! But they will also ask follow up questions based on your response so it ends up being relatively conversational
Awesome, I like those kinds of questions. And the interview is an hour long?

OOS 2/14 8:15am! Can’t wait to meet some of yall

Awesome, I like those kinds of questions. And the interview is an hour long?
Yep! They ask you 10 of those questions with follow up questions, my questions portion 2 years ago lasted probably 45 min then they gave me time to ask any questions that I had!

OOS interview 2/1 at 9:30am !

Woop!! I think we maybe applied to some of the same places lol. Can’t wait to meet ya!
I’ll be traveling alone if you want to grab dinner or something :)

OOS 2/14 in the am, hope to meet some of you there!

Does anyone know how long the Saturday events are expected to last until? Trying to figure out whether to take the plane back Saturday night or Sunday.

Does anyone know how long the Saturday events are expected to last until? Trying to figure out whether to take the plane back Saturday night or Sunday.
On my email it said for me it would conclude around 12pm but I think it also depends on what day you’re interviewing

I was wondering the same thing. On my email the last activity scheduled is a campus tour at 12:45 so I'm wondering if I can make a 4pm flight. Anyone know what transportation to the airport is like? I'm guessing that's cutting it too close.

On my email it said for me it would conclude around 12pm but I think it also depends on what day you’re interviewing

I'm not sure I'm on the same schedule! My last event on Saturday is the CVM tour at 12:45 pm

I was wondering the same thing. On my email the last activity scheduled is a campus tour at 12:45 so I'm wondering if I can make a 4pm flight. Anyone know what transportation to the airport is like? I'm guessing that's cutting it too close.

My schedule is like that too.

@nontradstdnt I emailed them. Will update here once I hear back hopefully tomorrow!

I'm not sure I'm on the same schedule! My last event on Saturday is the CVM tour at 12:45 pm

My schedule is like that too.
My tour is at 9:30 and then last thing at 12 for me is lunch. So everyone is a little different I suppose

does anyone have/know where I can find information about the global and international program (or international vet med)? is it a formal/structured path or a design your own?

I'll be doing tours on 1/30, 2/13, and 2/15, and a member of a student panel on 2/1 so see some of you guys then :D :D

Also: we have super easy public transit to the airport from the Minneapolis campus and tons of Uber/Lyft options. The airport is about 15-20 minutes from campus. Student ambassadors help out with some transportation to/from campus. There might be one who can help with rides to/from the airport, but I hear she's from NY and drives like it, and I also hear she has a really messy car :whistle:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Tours typically last 45 minutes and figure it'll take 15-20 minutes to get to the airport. If you have TSA precheck, you'll 100% be fine - if you don't, I'm not sure.

Just got an email back saying that the tour is typically an hour long

Also: we have super easy public transit to the airport from the Minneapolis campus and tons of Uber/Lyft options. The airport is about 15-20 minutes from campus. Student ambassadors help out with some transportation to/from campus. There might be one who can help with rides to/from the airport, but I hear she's from NY and drives like it, and I also hear she has a really messy car :whistle:
Fantastic. What’s the best form of public transportation?

Fantastic. What’s the best form of public transportation?

From the Minneapolis campus, it's really easy to take the light rail train system (I can PM you specific instructions). There's a free bus shuttle from the Minneapolis campus to the St Paul campus that picks up about a block from one of the light rail stations - it runs every 5ish minutes during the week and every 15 minutes (I think?) on the weekend.

does anyone know how much emphasis UMN puts on the GRE for final decisions for admittance? I did terrible and honestly surprised they sent me an invite to interview so now I think I'm just psyching myself out..

does anyone know how much emphasis UMN puts on the GRE for final decisions for admittance? I did terrible and honestly surprised they sent me an invite to interview so now I think I'm just psyching myself out..

I think that if you have a solid academic track record, you should be okay. They sent you an invite so they definitely think that you have what it takes to be a student in their program. If i was an adcom, i would put more emphasis on GPA as i think that gives them a better idea of what kind of student they would be.

You made it past their academic qualifications already, so it looks like they’re confident in you as a student.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that if you have a solid academic track record, you should be okay. They sent you an invite so they definitely think that you have what it takes to be a student in their program. If i was an adcom, i would put more emphasis on GPA as i think that gives them a better idea of what kind of student they would be.

You made it past their academic qualifications already, so it looks like they’re confident in you as a student.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your kind words! This whole process is so stressful so my mind is all over the place. Just going to prepare as much as possible for the interview and hope I kill it lol