University of Minnesota c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ditto!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So excited to meet some of you! UMN is my number 2 but I’m hoping when I get there the schools makes me forget about that price :)

does anyone know if umn typically has a Facebook page for accepted students to connect about housing and such???

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any current UMN students able to share a screenshot of what their day to day schedule was for first year? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect! :)

Are any current UMN students able to share a screenshot of what their day to day schedule was for first year? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect! :)
So the truth is it really varies week to week. We have a Google calendar system that basically just tells us where to be, when. Almost all of our lectures are in the same room so we just chill and instructors will switch out. Some days we have lectures from 8-12 (and you can Zoom them if desired), some days we're there 8-5 (usually only days you have anatomy lab in the afternoon). I'd say there are a lot fewer 8-5 days than I expected, and imo it tends to be more class heavy at the beginning. No way around anatomy lab just being... long, but we almost always have an hour break for lunch. I can only remember one time I didn't and I still had thirty minutes.
Also, don't be afraid of the Google calendar. It seems spooky when it's introduced but it is my best friend.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Also, feel free to tag me and ask me anything about first year (so far)! We have anatomy exams coming up so my online check-ins may be a bit sparse but I'm happy to talk about the program.
I also moved up here to attend the U from Texas so I can chat about moving from OOS, especially long distance, as well. And I have three dogs so I juggle managing those clowns.

• Care
Also, feel free to tag me and ask me anything about first year (so far)! We have anatomy exams coming up so my online check-ins may be a bit sparse but I'm happy to talk about the program.
I also moved up here to attend the U from Texas so I can chat about moving from OOS, especially long distance, as well. And I have three dogs so I juggle managing those clowns.
I'm moving from Texas as well! Minnesota is a 12-14 hour drive, and flying isn't an option for me since I'm moving with 6 pets. I've love to hear your tips on the TX to MN move!

@potentialsheltervet how has your experience been with clinical skills labs. I know other colleges have specific clinical skills training centers that they use with just about every course. Do you feel like you are missing out on clinical skills?

edit: also do you get tests back after they are graded?

Last edited:
how has your experience been with clinical skills labs. I know other colleges have specific clinical skills training centers that they use with just about every course. Do you feel like you are missing out on clinical skills?

Hi, current third year!

Regarding exams: Exams are done online in Canvas. Over the past three years, I'd say 90% of exams show us our score and the correct/incorrect questions immediately when you finish. ~5% show you your score, but not individual questions, and another ~5% don't show you either until after the instructor has evaluated the exam metrics and decided if any questions will be thrown out. Ultimately this is instructor choice.

Regarding clinical skills: For most of the curriculum, there is an actual Clinical Skills course, but we also have labs associated with different classes (like there are "skills check ins" during anatomy labs and a dental lab for SAM, etc.). We have a 24-hour practice area called the Zone that students can access at any time, and during certain hours it is staffed with either a faculty member or peer coaches. During those times, you can sign up specifically to work with them for additional practice and feedback. Obviously no curriculum is going to have enough time built in for you to master a certain skill if you've never done it before, but if you're concerned about doing something I think there are more than enough ways to get practice as long as you take initiative.

I'm moving from Texas as well! Minnesota is a 12-14 hour drive, and flying isn't an option for me since I'm moving with 6 pets. I've love to hear your tips on the TX to MN move!
I think it was about 16 hours for me (drive time alone). It was rough, not going to lie. I was lucky to have my parents and sister going along so my dad drove the U-Haul and my sister and I both drove our cars with our mom serving as a substitute driver when someone needed a break. We stayed at a pet-friendly hotel in Liberty, Missouri (just north of Kansas City, Missouri) to break things up. My dogs are hotel nightmares so honestly the hotel might've been the worst part lol. But we had stops for gas/bathroom breaks planned ahead of time because my sister and I are weird like that and it helped be prepared. We also packed some food and got sandwiches and whatnot at gas stations to fill in the gaps.
Otherwise, I'm planning on being here for a while so shortly after moving up here I got my vehicle registration switched over, got new plates, and got an MN license. All of that was way easier than I expected as someone who's never moved states. This has also been an uncharacteristically (or apocalyptically, depending on who you ask) warm winter so I haven't really experienced super big shock moving up. I have all season tires on my car and just go slow when it's icy. I've done a bit of slipping and sliding but not too bad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@potentialsheltervet how has your experience been with clinical skills labs. I know other colleges have specific clinical skills training centers that they use with just about every course. Do you feel like you are missing out on clinical skills?

Adding to what vetsquared said, for first year anatomy our lab practicals are in person and on paper. We get those back about a week (on average) after the practical takes place, and the most missed questions get discussed in a post-exam review so usually you're pretty confident on what you missed.
Personally I've been really happy with how clinical skills is set up. A lot of it is designed for the course to give you the information and technique required and then you can practice on your own in addition to in-lab time. Plus there's guided practice like in the Zone, as vetsquared mentioned. Another great thing we have is mini rotations with certain specialties in the hospital where you can practice/observe skills, so that's another option.

Adding to what vetsquared said, for first year anatomy our lab practicals are in person and on paper. We get those back about a week (on average) after the practical takes place, and the most missed questions get discussed in a post-exam review so usually you're pretty confident on what you missed.
Personally I've been really happy with how clinical skills is set up. A lot of it is designed for the course to give you the information and technique required and then you can practice on your own in addition to in-lab time. Plus there's guided practice like in the Zone, as vetsquared mentioned. Another great thing we have is mini rotations with certain specialties in the hospital where you can practice/observe skills, so that's another option.
Can you explain mini rotations a little? They were talked about a lot in the accepted students day as a way to get extra experience but I’m not really sure what they are

Can you explain mini rotations a little? They were talked about a lot in the accepted students day as a way to get extra experience but I’m not really sure what they are
Mini rotations are awesome! Essentially they’re an opportunity to sign up to shadow a particular service for a couple hours (generally 2-4 hours, but it depends on the service). These are low pressure, low stakes and nobody expects anything of you! You’ll generally shadow the fourth year students and can join them for appointments, procedures, or things like ultrasounds. Doing mini rotations is an awesome way to learn where things are, learn more about particular specialties, find out the expectations for fourth year, or get face time with some of the clinicians. It’s also a nice way to get out of the classroom and back into a clinical setting for a hot minute!

Reactions: 2 users
Mini rotations are awesome! Essentially they’re an opportunity to sign up to shadow a particular service for a couple hours (generally 2-4 hours, but it depends on the service). These are low pressure, low stakes and nobody expects anything of you! You’ll generally shadow the fourth year students and can join them for appointments, procedures, or things like ultrasounds. Doing mini rotations is an awesome way to learn where things are, learn more about particular specialties, find out the expectations for fourth year, or get face time with some of the clinicians. It’s also a nice way to get out of the classroom and back into a clinical setting for a hot minute!
And yet, you have yet to do one on a service I’m on smh

Many of the mini rotations also are on mornings so at first it might seem like you'll never have a chance to do them, but we get our calendar for the entire semester at the start so you can plan accordingly. I'm planning for one mini rotation where I'll just watch the classes back on Zoom because it's an important enough trade off for me.

And yet, you have yet to do one on a service I’m on smh
…or have I?? Because I suspect we may have actually met recently, but that depends on what your last rotation was 👀

• Wow
PLOT TWIST

I was on anesthesia last block

oh no are you someone I'm supposed to be sending document templates to 😱
Hahaha yes, that’s me, the one who’s been emailing you 😅

• Wow
me: "vetsquared, I will send you many helpful documents for 4th year, but email me a reminder and then continue to harass me until I actually do it"

vetsquared: *dutifully emails*

me: *acknowledges email but does not send documents*
keep emailing me until I do it

vetsquared: *emails again*

me: I know I know I will I promise
*doesn't send documents*

repeat ad nauseum

I'm going to send them Friday, I swear!!

• Haha
@supershorty regardless, pleased to finally make your acquaintance after all this time! Of course it happens right before you graduate lol 🥲

• Love
👁️👄👁️ me watching and wondering if I've ever encountered vetsquared (unlikely)

• Haha
👁️👄👁️ me watching and wondering if I've ever encountered vetsquared (unlikely)
It’s not impossible, depending on your club involvement. I scaled my involvement back this year because last year I was way overextended, so I’m a little more elusive now haha

It’s not impossible, depending on your club involvement. I scaled my involvement back this year because last year I was way overextended, so I’m a little more elusive now haha
I do basically nothing with clubs 😎

hey yall! first time posting here & second time applicant at uminn. i got waitlisted and my rank is 11 oos. i feel like my chances of getting off the waitlist are okay but someone just informed me that some schools will rearrange their waitlist and either your rank can go down or up depending on spring grades. does anyone know if minnesota does this?

hey yall! first time posting here & second time applicant at uminn. i got waitlisted and my rank is 11 oos. i feel like my chances of getting off the waitlist are okay but someone just informed me that some schools will rearrange their waitlist and either your rank can go down or up depending on spring grades. does anyone know if minnesota does this?
I dont think that they do, Im #17 OOS and I think I saw somewhere that they will only ask for your Fall 2023 or Spring 2024 grades if you are offered acceptance and that the deadline is June 15th (or something) to submit the grades. So far I haven't gotten any indication that we should even try to send updated transcripts yet.

No, Minnesota does not do this as far as I'm aware. The only risk to you is if you still have some prerequisites in your current semester that you don't complete with at least a C, but otherwise your rank will not go down.

No, Minnesota does not do this as far as I'm aware. The only risk to you is if you still have some prerequisites in your current semester that you don't complete with at least a C, but otherwise your rank will not go down.
okay that's what i thought! i'm done w school so nothing should affect my rank. they had said that other ppls grades would affect it and it just didn't make sense why the school would tell me my number and then just change it.

okay that's what i thought! i'm done w school so nothing should affect my rank. they had said that other ppls grades would affect it and it just didn't make sense why the school would tell me my number and then just change it.
You likely misunderstood. Ranks change as people remove themselves from the list (either through giving up their spot or getting admitted). In other words, you can move up higher on the list as the list shortens. You will not move down.

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a representative of the office of academic and student affairs.

It's meaningless to me personally as I don't have a facebook account so...
It’s not totally necessary to have a facebook, so don’t worry. Anything that’s pertinent information for the whole class to have will be emailed out by class reps (once school starts). However, the facebook group is useful for things like petsitting requests, coordinating carpooling, swapping lab splits, and general questions, so it’s nice to have.

The Facebook group for our class has now been created. The link is attached below otherwise you can just look it up too: University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine class of 2028

Last edited:
It’s not totally necessary to have a facebook, so don’t worry. Anything that’s pertinent information for the whole class to have will be emailed out by class reps (once school starts). However, the facebook group is useful for things like petsitting requests, coordinating carpooling, swapping lab splits, and general questions, so it’s nice to have.
Frankly my class does virtually nothing with our Facebook group. We use GroupMe for everything instead. How times change...

officially declined my seat, hope someone gets great news after the 15th:)

• Care
Also declining my OOS spot, best of luck to those of you on the waitlist!!!

• Care
Officially put down my deposit OOS after visiting last week 💛 see everyone in the fall!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I had put my deposit down a couple of weeks ago!

• Love
i've been talking to some of y'all in the groupme already but pls pm me on here as well/ on there if yall want to talk one-on-one too 💕

• Care
And please recall 'tis I, a current first year, open to chatting :)

• Care
Is there any current student that does the MPH dual degree?