University of Toronto Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhArMaCiSt1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Since the UOFT's thread for 2010 admission is officially dead lol I've decided to start this new one for everyone applying for 2011 admission. Hopefully it will be a good place to discuss everything from grades to what you should wear on your interview day :D
Best of luck to everyone :):)
P.S. lets try to make it an even bigger thread than that of 2010 :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
Since the UOFT's thread for 2010 admission is officially dead lol I've decided to start this new one for everyone applying for 2011 admission. Hopefully it will be a good place to discuss everything from grades to what you should wear on your interview day :D
Best of luck to everyone :):)
P.S. lets try to make it an even bigger thread than that of 2010 :p

Where is UOFT?

P.S. I love your Lana Lang avatar...so sweet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, we get a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy

what are test dates available for 2011 cycle(September 2011)?

U of T and Waterloo are in the process of implementing the PharmD, because that will soon end up being the minimum requirement for new students, and broadens your horizons to be able to practice in the US.

Great idea on the 2011 thread - I'm rotting on the 2010 admission cycle waitlist, but am now doubtful of getting any phonecall. So hopefully it's Sept 2011 for me!

And for all us hopefuls! Good luck this year!

PCAT test dates are:

Oct 16/2010 - Register by Sept 3rd
Jan 22/2011 - Register by Dec 7th/2010

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/h...nity/PostSecondary/Products/pcat/pcathome.htm

For U of T 2011 admissions, the last possible test date they accept is January. If you're applying to other schools, be mindful that they might require earlier PCAT dates if you haven't taken it already (eg. SUNY at Buffalo doesn't accept the Jan PCAT for the Sept admission cycle...or at least didn't when I was looking to apply last year).

U of T and Waterloo are in the process of implementing the PharmD, because that will soon end up being the minimum requirement for new students, and broadens your horizons to be able to practice in the US.

Great idea on the 2011 thread - I'm rotting on the 2010 admission cycle waitlist, but am now doubtful of getting any phonecall. So hopefully it's Sept 2011 for me!

And for all us hopefuls! Good luck this year!

You never know, the school term didn't start yet so you might be really lucky and get that call just before classes starts. I think last year the waitlist was moving quicker than this year too. In either case, good luck to you :D

how much do you guys think new prerequisite changes will effect applicants pool

hopefully it will reduce the pool

how much do you guys think new prerequisite changes will effect applicants pool

hopefully it will reduce the pool

As much as i would like the new preqs to decrease the applicant pool (to increase our chances :p) I don't think it will have a huge effect because they have had the new preqs listed on their website since last year. It might slightly decrease it though since first yr students can't apply anymore :D

this going to be my 2nd year

when I was about to begin my 1st at york year, we were given a list of courses for 2011 admission cycle with 4 courses that would satisfy stats requirements

but now only one of these satisfies stats requirements

so I think this would reduce number of fork holders applying :)

Members don't see this ad :)
:)
hey all,
since the uoft's thread for 2010 admission is officially dead lol i've decided to start this new one for everyone applying for 2011 admission. Hopefully it will be a good place to discuss everything from grades to what you should wear on your interview day :hungover:
best of luck to everyone :):)
p.s. Lets try to make it an even bigger thread than that of 2010 :p

Last edited:
Thanks guys:D
Hopefully we will all be joining you soon, Good luck in your first year! :)

Hi guys
I hope all of you will get in pharmacy !

I am selling my dr.colin pcat study guide at a low price !

Dr.Colin is super helpful in writing the PCAT and it is almost essential to have it when you are writing it !! It is such a disadvantage not using this resources available to you

I am done with the PCAT and it's the time for this pkg to go to a better user ~

PM if interested!

required courses for pharmacy are now the same for waterloo and toronto.

Do you guys expect people that apply to waterloo to increase drastically?
This might be bad because some people will take up 2 interview spaces and reduce the likelyhood of other people receiving interviews...

What do you guys think?

ps. how many spots did the waitlist move? if at all?

my hope for getting off the waitlist this year is slowly diminishing as well, so looks like ill be applying this upcoming year..good luck everyone!

and excuse me if this might sound like a silly question, but if UofT planning to start their direct entry pharmD program this year (since they changed their prereqs and all)?

my hope for getting off the waitlist this year is slowly diminishing as well, so looks like ill be applying this upcoming year..good luck everyone!

and excuse me if this might sound like a silly question, but if UofT planning to start their direct entry pharmD program this year (since they changed their prereqs and all)?

if you dont mind me asking, i was wondering as to what your stats were in the previous admission cycle? (cgpa, pcat) etc.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck with applications for this year :)

Hopefully ALL of us will get in this year. And hopefully they will implant the new PharmD for this cycle :xf:

Nope I don't think so. It looks like it will be a BScP this year as well. Check out the admissions deadlines page. It clearly states that it will be a Bachelors for the 2011 cycle:

http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/admissions.htm

required courses for pharmacy are now the same for waterloo and toronto.

QUOTE]

No, I don't think so. UW required 4 more courses in biology [Molecular, Cell, Genetic and Micro] than UofT.

The only extra is microbiology..but for U o T you have to take 2 first year bio courses and on there chart the two listed include the ones required by UW.

Nope I don't think so. It looks like it will be a BScP this year as well. Check out the admissions deadlines page. It clearly states that it will be a Bachelors for the 2011 cycle:

http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/admissions.htm

It does say that it is a BScP for now, but if you talk to the admission lady she will tell you that they're in the process of getting the approval from government for the new PharmD; and they would update the title to PharmD on their website when they receive the approval.

But again, there's no guarantee that they would get the approval for this coming cycle.

if you dont mind me asking, i was wondering as to what your stats were in the previous admission cycle? (cgpa, pcat) etc.

78 gpa and 72 pcat ( 88 in the chem section though). I thought the interview went really well so I'm guessing it's the low pcat score :(

The only extra is microbiology..but for U o T you have to take 2 first year bio courses and on there chart the two listed include the ones required by UW.

UofT Pharmacy 2011 Admission doesn't require you to take any of 4 courses in Biology (Molecular, Cell, Genetic and Micro) but UW does.

Last edited:
i think the application will most likely open next week!!

are you guys excited??

i think the application will most likely open next week!!

are you guys excited??

LOL i am really excited but i hate how you have to wait till march to find out when ur interview etc. is. However, UOFT does not stick to their deadlines (that is what happened last year) so I doubt it will open before end of september.

hey guys!
i'm also excited for the application process, again lol
i applied last yr, not good enough as a first yr so trying again this year.
i decided to stop lurking the UT thread and be more active :)
any chance the entry PharmD will go through just in time as we apply for the 2011-2012 year? 2 years of prereqs would be needed instead of 1 like up to last year and it would make sense to change curriculum and even towards the degree the students would be working towards right?

anyways, good luck to all the applicants!

hey guys!
any chance the entry PharmD will go through just in time as we apply for the 2011-2012 year? 2 years of prereqs would be needed instead of 1 like up to last year and it would make sense to change curriculum and even towards the degree the students would be working towards right?

Whats the difference if its a PharmD or a BscPhm? Its the same degree. You will be a pharmacist either way. Why are so many people anxious to get a PharmD?

does having a degree make you more competitive when compared with say a second or third year?

anyone write the pcat in august?

Whats the difference if its a PharmD or a BscPhm? Its the same degree. You will be a pharmacist either way. Why are so many people anxious to get a PharmD?

Honestly, I think the biggest thing is job opportunity in the United States since virtually all their universities graduate their students with a PharmD degree so that's the norm there.

Honestly, I think the biggest thing is job opportunity in the United States since virtually all their universities graduate their students with a PharmD degree so that's the norm there.

I think anyone who is looking for opportunities in the States has not done their research. Even from these boards you can see that pharmacy is becoming saturated in the US with new schools opening every year. I think Canadian students should be thankful to receive a BScPhm in a country where there are few schools and demand is still high.

It does say that it is a BScP for now, but if you talk to the admission lady she will tell you that they're in the process of getting the approval from government for the new PharmD; and they would update the title to PharmD on their website when they receive the approval.

But again, there's no guarantee that they would get the approval for this coming cycle.

The ELPD (entry-level PharmD) proposal has been rejected by the government as of last month and thus will not be implemented for this cycle.

Does having an year old degree put you at a disadvantage??

in my final year of study, should i take a full course load that avoids first year courses (i dont want it to seem like im just taking bird courses) or is it ok to take a lot of first year courses to raise my gpa.

does u of t even look that closes at transcripts or just chem + cgpa

thanks!

in my final year of study, should i take a full course load that avoids first year courses (i dont want it to seem like im just taking bird courses) or is it ok to take a lot of first year courses to raise my gpa.

does u of t even look that closes at transcripts or just chem + cgpa

thanks!

I think they look at whether or not you have all the specific requirements completed and your gpa...

hi there........how r u?? i m a new user of SDN !! Actually i m new in Canada too.....i have a question if u dont mind.......i was doing Pharmacy in my back home and i did 3 years (6 semesters) but i didn't finish the whole degree !! so how can i apply for the addmission in UFT ?? will they give me any credits ?? what are their requirements?? please reply i'll be very thankful to you

hi there........how r u?? i m a new user of SDN !! Actually i m new in Canada too.....i have a question if u dont mind.......i was doing Pharmacy in my back home and i did 3 years (6 semesters) but i didn't finish the whole degree !! so how can i apply for the addmission in UFT ?? will they give me any credits ?? what are their requirements?? please reply i'll be very thankful to you

I think it would be best to ask them, but as far as applying to U of T pharmacy is concerned i think you have to complete atleast 2 years of University("credible") with specific courses. Then you have to write the pcat and then you apply. Getting accepted is combination of gpa, interview and pcat. Since you have not completed your pharmacy degree i dont think you can just get accepted to U of T.

It's probably best to contact them and explain your situation.

But as far as I know, UofT does not accept any "transfer" students. Thus, you might have to apply to the program like any other student, assuming that you have done the prerequisites before.

so i guess pharmacist1 was right.. they extended the application opening and website updates until october :O ..

so i guess pharmacist1 was right.. they extended the application opening and website updates until october :O ..

LOL yes they have this habit of always opening the application and updating their website much after the date they anticipate it to be.

hey guys!

Good luck to you too. I'm glad you are deciding to re-apply and hopefully this will be a better year for the both us :D Ya same here i wished all of the new preqs would mean a change to pharmD but i guess not. either way i would still be happy with a BSc in pharmacy :)