University of Toronto Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yup i am. you?

Yes, but it is EXTREMELY hard to find time to study for it with midterms coming up. I actually have one on Monday. Guess it was stupid on my part to choose October.

It's my first time taking the PCAT so I have no idea what to expect, how are your studies coming along?? I'm mainly worried about Calc and Chem sections, which have never been my forte.

I just took the first pearson test, is this reflective of the level of diffculty? I was very pressed for time for the math section :S must work on this.

I can't wait to share stats.. but I guess that won't be until November.. ahh more waiting

Im disappointed, this forum is "TOO CONSERVATIVE"!!

people post your stats please!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's my first time taking the PCAT so I have no idea what to expect, how are your studies coming along?? I'm mainly worried about Calc and Chem sections, which have never been my forte.

I just took the first pearson test, is this reflective of the level of diffculty? I was very pressed for time for the math section :S must work on this.

ya it's hard preping for pcat amongst other midterms in oct. the pearson tests would be more reflective if you mimic the actual test, like timing yourself, secluded testing area, etc.

i was pressed for time for the actual pcat for math section too but i did best on that lol

Hey guys!

My friend just referred me to this topic (he's applying this year), and I wanted to give back to the SDN community since it was so helpful when I was going through the application process.

Short introduction about myself, since many of you are going to ask what my background/stats are. Did a year of undergrad w/a 3.7 GPA (~81%), and got a PCAT score of 89% composite. Thought the MMIs went disastrously, but here am I am, at UofT...

So, if you have any questions/inquiries, ask away!

Hey guys!

My friend just referred me to this topic (he's applying this year), and I wanted to give back to the SDN community since it was so helpful when I was going through the application process.

Short introduction about myself, since many of you are going to ask what my background/stats are. Did a year of undergrad w/a 3.7 GPA (~81%), and got a PCAT score of 89% composite. Thought the MMIs went disastrously, but here am I am, at UofT...

WOW!!, a year of undergrad?? Congratulations!!

I was wondering if you can speculate on the likelyhood of pcat cutoffs increasing?

That is killing me!!

Hey guys!

Congratulations!!! That is very impressive that you got in after only one year.

I have very similar stats to yours, and I was wondering whether you wouldn't mind to share you scores for each sections of PCAT (feel free to PM me if you desire.)

I'm just asking this because I'm a little worried about some sections of my PCAT even though my overall composite score is quit good.

Thanks, and congrats again :)

pcat cutoffs for 2010/2009 and my speculation for 2011:

2010 ---------> 2011

VA: 20 -------> 25 or 30
RC: 20 -------> 25 or 30
Bio: 20 -------> 25 or 30
Q: 20 --------> 25 or 30
Chem: 50 ------> 55 or 60
Comp: 50 ------> 55 or 60

writing: 3/2.5 ------> 3/3

how realistic do you guys think this is??

It is also possible that they ONLY increase the writing to 3 and leave everything alone.

It is unlikely that they will ONLY change one section because that section could experience a drastic change(20% or so). If they change all sections simultaneously then the change would not be so drastic.

500 people were eliminated last year because they did not meet the cutoffs. Those same individuals will have written again and most likely gotten above the cutoffs for this cycle. Which will mean an increase in the cutoffs. I think we should expect an increase!! I think the 10% increase is less likely but it would be extremely safe to meet all the 10% section to be almost guaranteed an interview.

if its 10% increase im screwed!! i would not meet one section!!!
This all my speculation!!

Last edited:
IS the level of competitiveness generally going to be reduced after this year? Due to the increased requirements, and 1st years not being able to apply.

WOW!!, a year of undergrad?? Congratulations!!

I was wondering if you can speculate on the likelyhood of pcat cutoffs increasing?

That is killing me!!
Thanks! I wouldn't bet on it. I speculated that they would raise PCAT cutoffs last year, because I thought there would be a rise in applicants. But the cutoffs were the same, and I suspect they'll remain the same this year (unless there's an increase in applicants, but I suspect this won't be the case).

Congratulations!!! That is very impressive that you got in after only one year.

I have very similar stats to yours, and I was wondering whether you wouldn't mind to share you scores for each sections of PCAT (feel free to PM me if you desire.)

I'm just asking this because I'm a little worried about some sections of my PCAT even though my overall composite score is quit good.

Thanks, and congrats again :)
Of course, here they are (from memory, I lost the actual score report.. lol).

Chem: 95
Math: ~90
Verbal: 68
RC: ~75
Bio: ~85
Writing: 3/3

IS the level of competitiveness generally going to be reduced after this year? Due to the increased requirements, and 1st years not being able to apply.
In my opinion, there will be a slight decrease in applicants. Like you said, 1st years can't apply anymore. But there won't be a huge decrease, as the requirements for UofT, overlap those of Waterloo, and you'll have many applicants applying to both schools.

This forum seems like it is dying as well...or do you guys have midterms??

Last edited:
This forum seems like it is dying as well...or do you guys have midterms??

lol i think most of the people that were very passionate and dedicated to the forum got accepted in 2010. However, once the application goes up, I think this forum will become more active again :D

Members don't see this ad :)
lol i think most of the people that were very passionate and dedicated to the forum got accepted in 2010. However, once the application goes up, I think this forum will become more active again :D

That's the nature of the pre-pharmacy forums. :)

There are always other threads to post in while you wait for others to respond to this one. ;)

were reaching mid october and STILL no updates on the website. Was it really this late last year as well? Perhaps they may be pushing for a pharm D.?

were reaching mid october and STILL no updates on the website. Was it really this late last year as well? Perhaps they may be pushing for a pharm D.?

If i remember correctly, last year they made the application avaliable sometime around halloween.

Hi, I am new to the forum,

I E-mailed the school and got this answer:

Applications for the 2011 BScPhm will be available online on our website at http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs/bsc/admissions.htm by the end of October 2010 with a deadline to submit applications by mid-December 2010. Although the deadline to apply for admission consideration to the BScPhm is in December, all applicants must complete all the academic requirements by April/May of the year to which they are applying.

No word on the PharmD program, not that it will matter too much because they already have a 2 year PharmD option after you receive your bachelors if you really wanted it (Which admittedly I would)

Hey guys!

Just an update: there WILL be a new curriculum in place next year for sure, which should be an exciting prospect considering some of the crappy courses I have to endure so far (PHM120 and 127, anyone?). However, the issue is if an entry-level PharmD. will be given to graduates (the government is still on the fence for this one, as they have to approve of the degree change, but they believe we don't 'deserve' it).

By the way, the two year PharmD. that the above poster is discussing about is a graduate program designed for research. Think of it as a PhD. The PharmD. that the Faculty wants implemented is an entry level degree that will replace the grandfathered BScPhm, which will allow you to practice as a pharmacist (the States have been giving out PharmDs. for numerous years now).

Hey! So they seem to have posted a .pdf file of the application (sort of), more so how to prep for the application.

Just a quick question to any previous applicants or current, I go to McMaster where our GPA is given on a 12 point scale and course grades assigned via letters (A, A+ A- etc.). UofT seems to want % grades for our pre-req courses. How do you go about converting letter grades into %s since they correspond to a percentage range rather than an actual %?

By the way, the two year PharmD. that the above poster is discussing about is a graduate program designed for research. Think of it as a PhD. The PharmD. that the Faculty wants implemented is an entry level degree that will replace the grandfathered BScPhm, which will allow you to practice as a pharmacist (the States have been giving out PharmDs. for numerous years now).

Sorry to barge in, but PharmD =/= PhD!!

PharmD is clinically focused, not research-focused like PhD. The Faculty offers both the PharmD and the PhD programs. They are mutually exclusive from each other.

The traditional, graduate-level PharmD is for advanced practitioners with at least several years of clinical experience. PhD is for people who would like to go into the field of research.

The entry-level PharmD will produce graduates whose compentency is between that of the BScPhm and the traditional PharmD, mainly due to additional courses and an expanded clinical experiential/practicum.

Edited: I want to add that PharmD's (and BScPhm's for that fact) do conduct clinical research, but this is NOT the same as the lab-based research that PhD's conduct. This is why most Faculty members have PhD's along with PharmD/MD. They do research in those fancy labs upstairs.

Hey guys!

I'm a second-year at UBC going to be applying for the first time this coming cycle. Just wanted to say good luck to everybody and hopefully everyone in here gets in :)

Quick question:
Small detail, but on the website it says that we need to submit 2 applications - the online application as well as the PCAT application. The wording of this really confuses me - all we need to do for the "PCAT" application is register for the test, take it, and submit the scores to UofT right? There is no separate application form to fill out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I read somewhere that you just record the letter grade and they convert it for you (can someone confirm this) - I dont want to be telling you the wrong information.

But there is a chart floating around the "OMSAS" it has the equivalent conversions for all the big universities - I'll post it as an attachment (According to last year's thread - I believe you can convert from this)

Hey! So they seem to have posted a .pdf file of the application (sort of), more so how to prep for the application.

Just a quick question to any previous applicants or current, I go to McMaster where our GPA is given on a 12 point scale and course grades assigned via letters (A, A+ A- etc.). UofT seems to want % grades for our pre-req courses. How do you go about converting letter grades into %s since they correspond to a percentage range rather than an actual %?

Attachments

• c_omsas_b.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 119
2) Small detail, but on the website it says that we need to submit 2 applications - the online application as well as the PCAT application. The wording of this really confuses me - all we need to do for the "PCAT" application is register for the test, take it, and submit the scores to UofT right? There is no separate application form to fill out?

I was wondering the same thing when I read this.. anyone know?

on there website i came across this:

"Applicants are cautioned that individual scores are assessed within a competitive pool and the measures provided above for evaluating your own scores are provided as rough guidelines only. Applicants are also advised that the minimum PCAT scores used for determining eligibility for an interview may be lower than the minimum scores established for final selections."

ok now im worried. They have another CUTOFF for the PCAT POST interview? Can someone speculate. What do they mean by this. Have they raised EACH section of the Pcat. Or is it Compositae?

the pcat cutoffs (each subtest and composite) for interview eligibility for 2009 and 2010 were the same. pretty sure they looked at pcat scores again after MMI but in terms of weighting and stuff, i.e. the admission formula, they stressed many many times they cannot tell us. will there be an info night this year? last year they held one.

on there website i came across this:

"Applicants are cautioned that individual scores are assessed within a competitive pool and the measures provided above for evaluating your own scores are provided as rough guidelines only. Applicants are also advised that the minimum PCAT scores used for determining eligibility for an interview may be lower than the minimum scores established for final selections."

ok now im worried. They have another CUTOFF for the PCAT POST interview? Can someone speculate. What do they mean by this. Have they raised EACH section of the Pcat. Or is it Compositae?

WOW, I didn't even know this... as far as I remember, for last year's application they didn't mention anything about using PCAT scores AFTER MMI's.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they do this, logically PCAT is a very good tool for ranking applicants for the final admission decision.

BTW, is there anyone here, besides me, who is from Western???

I'm just so anxious because of all the talks about the strike... :eek: does anyone know what happens if there was going to be an strike? Will UofT wait for us to "catch up" once the strike is over????

What did UofT do to York applicants 2 years ago when York went on a strike???

any insights anyone?

the pcat cutoffs (each subtest and composite) for interview eligibility for 2009 and 2010 were the same. pretty sure they looked at pcat scores again after MMI but in terms of weighting and stuff, i.e. the admission formula, they stressed many many times they cannot tell us. will there be an info night this year? last year they held one.

I really hope its in terms of weighting and NOT another cutoff to reduce the number of applicants from 500 to 350. I would be pretty upset!! Im guessing then each section on the pcat would rise significnatly by atleast 10-15% POST INTERVIEW. How does the weighting formula work? What are they weighting, compositae or each subtest seperately.

I really hope its in terms of weighting and NOT another cutoff to reduce the number of applicants from 500 to 350. I would be pretty upset!! Im guessing then each section on the pcat would rise significnatly by atleast 10-15% POST INTERVIEW. How does the weighting formula work? What are they weighting, compositae or each subtest seperately.

I think it is a cutoff. U of T's philosophy seems to be to weed out the poorest candidates rather than pick the best ones. Even last year, from what I heard you had to have a minimum in all areas: interview, PCAT, GPA to receive admission. In essence two strong areas could not compensate for one really weak area. I guess this is one way of having more well-rounded candidates. I think during their admission process they just keep raising the cutoffs until they get to their 240 students. In that sense the PCAT cutoffs could be raised at least 25% for each subsection post interview.

I think it is a cutoff. U of T's philosophy seems to be to weed out the poorest candidates rather than pick the best ones. Even last year, from what I heard you had to have a minimum in all areas: interview, PCAT, GPA to receive admission. In essence two strong areas could not compensate for one really weak area. I guess this is one way of having more well-rounded candidates. I think during their admission process they just keep raising the cutoffs until they get to their 240 students. In that sense the PCAT cutoffs could be raised at least 25% for each subsection post interview.

I apologize for scaring everyone but i think it is weighted. On there website they write: "In the final selection of applicants the Faculty will choose those with the highest overall ranking which is derived from a combination of academic performance (cumulative average), PCAT scores and interview ratings."

My understanding of this is that it is weighted. People with higher pcat will be ranked higher than people with lower pcat. I think the pcat is weighted more than the interview because look at the order in which overall ranking is determined. 1. gpa, 2. pcat, 3. interview.

what do you guys think?

I apologize for scaring everyone but i think it is weighted. On there website they write: "In the final selection of applicants the Faculty will choose those with the highest overall ranking which is derived from a combination of academic performance (cumulative average), PCAT scores and interview ratings."

My understanding of this is that it is weighted. People with higher pcat will be ranked higher than people with lower pcat. I think the pcat is weighted more than the interview because look at the order in which overall ranking is determined. 1. gpa, 2. pcat, 3. interview.

what do you guys think?

I would highly doubt that they are implying that specific order in that statement. From what I've seen in the past year and form what I've heard from my friend who got into pharmacy this year, INTERVIEW is the biggest component!!! At least that's what he told me...

I would highly doubt that they are implying that specific order in that statement. From what I've seen in the past year and form what I've heard from my friend who got into pharmacy this year, INTERVIEW is the biggest component!!! At least that's what he told me...

interview is bigger than cgpa?? or 1. cgpa, 2. interview, 3. pcat?

Interview>>cGPA>PCAT

Explains how many people with low grades got in this year. Also explains why some people with steller marks did not.

Any other weighting formula fails to take this into account.

Interview>>cGPA>PCAT

Explains how many people with low grades got in this year. Also explains why some people with steller marks did not.

Any other weighting formula fails to take this into account.

agreed. :thumbup:

I believe I read somewhere that you just record the letter grade and they convert it for you (can someone confirm this) - I dont want to be telling you the wrong information.

But there is a chart floating around the "OMSAS" it has the equivalent conversions for all the big universities - I'll post it as an attachment (According to last year's thread - I believe you can convert from this)

Thanks for the chart! Unfortunately it still shows percentage ranges rather than an actual single percentage.

I'm sure others will be wondering as well, so I may call and find out what they expect. Will post the answer after doing so.

Thanks again for your help!

APPLICATIONS ARE UP!!!! PharmSIS is all set up for admissions 2011 :D

good luck with applications people :thumbup: :xf:

If you had skimmed through the posts you would have noticed that a couple months ago i posted the following grade conversions:

A+ = 90
A = 85
A- = 81
B+ = 78
B = 75
B- = 71
etc

I didnt know the conversions myself so in October before I applied I emailed [email protected] and Heide emailed me the respective conversions.

If you are on the 4.0 scale then the conversion is as following:

4 = 90
3.9 = 85
3.7 = 81
etc etc

You have to convert every single one of your marks into their percentage mark since the average they calculate for you will be out of 100%. It is this average that is used to rank people.

Toronto has percent and letter grades.. so make sure you use only your percent grades to calculate your average.

The rest you can convert using the omsas gpa conversion scale for your respective school and then apply the percent conversion.

I hope this helped.

Thanks for your post, those stats are helpful.

I was reading the guidelines for the grades section and it actually says:

"Enter the grade in the ‘Grade' column as it appears on your transcript (e.g. enter either a
numerical or letter grade exactly as shown on your transcript)."

I suppose this may have changed from the last application cycle. I guess, then, entering letter grades is sufficient.

Also - one question for you; do you happen to know how much the grades obtained in the prereq courses play a factor in the decision for admission? (i understand you can't give an absolute answer) Due to a relatively bad first year, my grades in some of the prereqs are not so great, but they really picked up in the upper level courses.

In short, i guess my question is, if my gpa is good (e.g. well above 3.0) and pcat is good, would bad grades in the prereqs have a negative effect?

Last edited:
Thanks for your post, those stats are helpful.

I was reading the guidelines for the grades section and it actually says:

"Enter the grade in the ‘Grade’ column as it appears on your transcript (e.g. enter either a
numerical or letter grade exactly as shown on your transcript)."

I suppose this may have changed from the last application cycle. I guess, then, entering letter grades is sufficient.

Also - one question for you; do you happen to know how much the grades obtained in the prereq courses play a factor in the decision for admission? (i understand you can't give an absolute answer) Due to a relatively bad first year, my grades in some of the prereqs are not so great, but they really picked up in the upper level courses.

In short, i guess my question is, if my gpa is good (e.g. well above 3.0) and pcat is good, would bad grades in the prereqs have a negative effect?

Your grades will be based on cGPA of all courses not GPA of the prereps.

Don't worry, you will be fine.

I was wondering as to how you would know whether or not your transcript has been received? When you guys were mailing you high school transcripts what "other" information did you guys include to make sure they match your name with your "profile". There is a possibility that some one has the "exact" same name as you.

I was wondering as to how you would know whether or not your transcript has been received? When you guys were mailing you high school transcripts what "other" information did you guys include to make sure they match your name with your "profile". There is a possibility that some one has the "exact" same name as you.

interestingly, in this year's class there were two people with the exact name!!!

And to answer your question: I recall that last year I just send the transcript alone and I wrote the applicant number on it somewhere... that way no matter how many people with the exact same name, they can't all have the exact same applicant number!

Hope that makes sense.

interestingly, in this year's class there were two people with the exact name!!!

And to answer your question: I recall that last year I just send the transcript alone and I wrote the applicant number on it somewhere... that way no matter how many people with the exact same name, they can't all have the exact same applicant number!

Hope that makes sense.

I was thinking of sending my transcript before i send in my application. I dont know what to include. Im thinking of social insurance number and my pcat ident.

I was thinking of sending my transcript before i send in my application. I dont know what to include. Im thinking of social insurance number and my pcat ident.

last yr when i applied, i submitted the app first, then i dropped off my high school transcript (for physics & english) at the pharm building front desk before the deadline in january. after submitting the app, i think there were links on pharmsis on the next steps such as dropping off transcripts and what to include on the envelop such as the purpose of you dropping this off (transcript for applying to pharmacy 2010-2011. i can't remember if it explicitly told me to put it in an envelop or if i was the paranoid one that put it in an envelop. basically i had my full name, applicant number, etc.

I'm a UT student so i can drop off in person. there are other instructions for students from other schools.

hey! Has anyone in U of T pharmacy ever gotten accepted even if they DIDN'T take 5 courses a term for a year?? I'm from UBC and I've never taken 5 courses a term. Does that mean I can't apply? Or is it still possible to get admitted but much less of a chance?:confused: Please help!

hey! Has anyone in U of T pharmacy ever gotten accepted even if they DIDN'T take 5 courses a term for a year?? I'm from UBC and I've never taken 5 courses a term. Does that mean I can't apply? Or is it still possible to get admitted but much less of a chance?:confused: Please help!

You HAVE to take 5 full course equivalents in at least one year to be considered for admission! Otherwise you will be removed from the applicant pool. Just trying to save you $300 on the app fee.

Quick question, If I'm currently taking a prerequisite, what do I put down for the grade, "in progress"? and do I need to inform them later on when I receive my grade, or will they just take the grade from my final transcript submission?

Does anyone know if we are required to put highschool grades on the application form? I didnt take physics 12 and I have 2 semesters of of UBC physics courses. I also have 3 semesters of UBC english courses. So why do I have summited my highschool grades?

Does anyone know if we are required to put highschool grades on the application form? I didnt take physics 12 and I have 2 semesters of of UBC physics courses. I also have 3 semesters of UBC english courses. So why do I have summited my highschool grades?

If you would rather submit the university grades that is fine, you are not required to put your high school grades. I presume the option to use high school grades is there for people who either have not completed physics/english in university or prefer to have their high school credits count towards that requirement.