UPENN c/o 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@lynn_b yay!!! Congrats! Looks like I’ll be seeing you back-to-back weekends...at Purdue and then Penn. Is Penn your IS?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! (I made a separate thread.....but I should've just posted in here, and I don't know how to delete it, any who lol)

Has anyone heard of UPenn Vet implementing a 4 day week for students where they would have Wednesdays off? I went on a tour back in August and the student leading them said that UPenn was planning on (I think it sounded that concrete) to have Wednesdays off and have a 4 day week for students. She said this was part of a mental health initiative, and that students could choose to stay on campus and work at the library, or go home and study there.

When I called admissions to ask about this they were unfamiliar with what I was talking about, does anyone know if this Wednesday off thing is really in the works or if this was just proposed by the students and was denied?

Thanks!

I've literally never heard anything like this, though I didn't hear anything about this new ICVM schedule for first-years either. Still, I highly doubt they would ever remove a day of classes when our schedule is already packed from 9-5.

Reactions: 1 user
I've literally never heard anything like this, though I didn't hear anything about this new ICVM schedule for first-years either. Still, I highly doubt they would ever remove a day of classes when our schedule is already packed from 9-5.

I'm pretty sure it's why we were in class for an extra week last semester and had a shorter winter break - because the first years don't have class on thursday afternoons (my understanding is that it's either a free afternoon or used for ICVM shifts), so they needed to fit in all of the class time. The second year exam schedule was also slightly more spread out during the fall than it had been in previous years.

Looking at the first year schedule online, it looks like they have anatomy/class/exams most thursday mornings and every thursday afternoon has ICVM shift scheduled in, so they just have to do anything when they actually have shifts.

I doubt a full day off would ever really work, though. There's just not time for that.

Hi all!

Anyone know if it is typical or just a fluke from last year that large animal interview invites went out over multiple days? @mht2k3 I saw that last year your invite came in a few days after others. I noticed that both members contacted so far this year for a LA interview are instate, could that play a role in who gets contacted first? I realize that I'm just speculating at this point, but anyone's insight would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted IS today at 12! I interviewed with fugaro!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
accepted out-of-state :banana:, not sure if I'm taking the spot though... currently debating because my in-state is less than half the cost of PennVet
Have you been accepted IS? If so, take the cheaper seat! I love penn, but I know you should do what ever possible to decrease your debt (besides selling drugs or other illegal avenues).

Have you been accepted IS? If so, take the cheaper seat! I love penn, but I know you should do what ever possible to decrease your debt (besides selling drugs or other illegal avenues).

thanks for the advice, Skimble. Even though Penn is my dream school, I agree with you. I'm just hoping that the education/faculty is comparable at my in-state. me rn --> :bang:

I'm pretty sure it's why we were in class for an extra week last semester and had a shorter winter break - because the first years don't have class on thursday afternoons (my understanding is that it's either a free afternoon or used for ICVM shifts), so they needed to fit in all of the class time. The second year exam schedule was also slightly more spread out during the fall than it had been in previous years.

Looking at the first year schedule online, it looks like they have anatomy/class/exams most thursday mornings and every thursday afternoon has ICVM shift scheduled in, so they just have to do anything when they actually have shifts.

I doubt a full day off would ever really work, though. There's just not time for that.

If your in state in AVMA accredited, then you don't have anything to worry about!

Thank you @ObieGirl13 and @raf2769 - I have another question for you guys and I also added @Skimble
Currently sifting through google and past forums as this was likely asked in the past multiple times, but I was wondering...

(1) When a student was able to directly work with animals in the curriculum? In other words - when "hands on experience" would start? Or if this would not occur until the 4th year.

My other questions if possible:

(2) Shelter Vet mobile, does anyone know if this has started or will start soon? Basically Vet students going into the community to educate owners about their pets (not sure if this is exclusively a 4th year thing as well hence question numero uno lol, or if this "hands on outreach" was available earlier to students?)

(3) Does Penn Vet track? Do you define what your specified field in medicine is sometime during your curriculum?

Thanks!

(1) When a student was able to directly work with animals in the curriculum? In other words - when "hands on experience" would start? Or if this would not occur until the 4th year.

hands on experience now starts your first year. we have a class called Intro to Clinical Veterinary Medicine where we start learning how to do physical exams our first semester on cat/dog/horse/cow and also spend one afternoon in both the small animal hospital as well as out at new bolton. You basically do somewhat of the same thing your 2nd semester and continue on to more hands on stuff your 2nd year.

On top of that there is a surgical opportunities elective that you can take starting your first year where you can be doing spay/neuter surgeries on cats and dogs at a local shelter. Basically you have to take an online course and then pass a surgical skills lab and then are able to start volunteering in the shelter.

There is also a ton of wet labs to get more hands on experience your first and second year. I was part of an equine necropsy two weekends ago out at new bolton and last weekend went up there for a bovine palpation lab.

(3) Does Penn Vet track? Do you define what your specified field in medicine is sometime during your curriculum?

Maybe someone else has a better answer but i dont think we officially "track". You do elect your interest which I think is more of a thing when it comes to your 3rd year electives and your clinical rotations. I'm pretty sure 1st and 2nd year is somewhat homogenous in terms of class selection other than the electives you can decide to take (but those are open the everyone)

Members don't see this ad :)
hands on experience now starts your first year. we have a class called Intro to Clinical Veterinary Medicine where we start learning how to do physical exams our first semester on cat/dog/horse/cow and also spend one afternoon in both the small animal hospital as well as out at new bolton. You basically do somewhat of the same thing your 2nd semester and continue on to more hands on stuff your 2nd year.

On top of that there is a surgical opportunities elective that you can take starting your first year where you can be doing spay/neuter surgeries on cats and dogs at a local shelter. Basically you have to take an online course and then pass a surgical skills lab and then are able to start volunteering in the shelter.

There is also a ton of wet labs to get more hands on experience your first and second year. I was part of an equine necropsy two weekends ago out at new bolton and last weekend went up there for a bovine palpation lab.

Maybe someone else has a better answer but i dont think we officially "track". You do elect your interest which I think is more of a thing when it comes to your 3rd year electives and your clinical rotations. I'm pretty sure 1st and 2nd year is somewhat homogenous in terms of class selection other than the electives you can decide to take (but those are open the everyone)

That all sounds fantastic! Thanks so so much!

Just got a call, OOS accepted!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you @ObieGirl13 and @raf2769 - I have another question for you guys and I also added @Skimble
Currently sifting through google and past forums as this was likely asked in the past multiple times, but I was wondering...

(2) Shelter Vet mobile, does anyone know if this has started or will start soon? Basically Vet students going into the community to educate owners about their pets (not sure if this is exclusively a 4th year thing as well hence question numero uno lol, or if this "hands on outreach" was available earlier to students?)

Thanks!

The Shelter Vet mobile must be a new thing but mht2k3 basically answered all the questions as far as I would know. You definitely can get more involved based on what clubs you're in. I was a pretty active member of the Shelter Med Club which allowed a lot of those activities which you described. I also did multiple vaccine clinics through the school (one held at Alpha Psi and the other held MLK day at VHUP) and local organizations. My understanding is that the surgical opportunities originally offered through the Shelter Med Club has become the Surgical Opportunities program. Definitely recommend it although it sounds like it's structured a bit differently now.

And no "tracking" tracking as you can take whatever electives you want throughout your classroom years (if I recall correctly -- except for small animal and large animal blocks. you either do one, both or none depending on your preference). In clinics, you do declare a "major" but you can still take rotations outside of your major too (or I am pretty sure you could. I didn't so don't recall 100%) Or you can declare mixed if you want to take a nice mix of both and it tends to make it easier scheduling wise.

Thanks!

1 - Our curriculum is mostly lecture, but there are plenty of opportunities to get hands on experience. We have the ICVM courses, plenty of shadowing opportunities in the hospital, and the Shelter Medicine course. Basically, Penn is aware that we are known for having less hands on clinical experience at graduation, and they are changing things every year to try to make that better. Personally, I've done about 40+ cat neuters, am now certified to neuter at the shelter without vet supervision, and am going to start spaying cats this semester. As far as animal handling, I was a tech for 3 years before starting school, so I feel very confident with restraining/handling/blood draws/catheters on small animals, and Am pretty certain I'd be able to detect abnormal PE findings. Obviously, things get better with practice, but I feel like I'm in a good spot right now for those kinds of things. I'm not as confident with my large animal handling because I basically never even touched a horse before vet school and am so allergic that the 4th years make me stop handling the horses while I'm on my ICVM shifts... But yeah, I'm not feeling like I'm at a lack of animal handling really at all at the moment.

2 - No idea about this Shelter Vet mobile thing. I know that there is a Shelter Medicine rotation you can take during clinics with which you do have some opportunity to do community shelter work where you go to people's houses, PE/treat their animals, and do some client education. I really enjoy the Shelter Med program here in general. It's kind of difficult to start in the program because there are limited numbers of spots at the shelter each weekend, but once you break into it, it's a lot easier to get spots. I went all last summer when no one was around and got a lot of experience, and am planning to do the same this summer.

3 - You start "tracking" when you enter clinics. For the first 2 1/2 years, we all have the same classes, and we learn about all animal species. The second half of your 3rd year you have 4 options: 1) go straight into clinics, 2) take Large Animal Block and start clinics early, 3) start clinics early and take Small Animal block, or 4) take both Large and Small Animals Blocks and then start clinics in May. You can do whatever option you want, no matter how you want to track. Personally, I am going to track small animal, but am most likely going to still take Large Animal block because I heard it is helpful for NAVLE studying (I'm not feeling confident with my horsies and cowsies because to me they are like foreign alien creatures that make my body want to have allergic reactions that kill me).
When you start clinics, you can track however you want (small/mixed/large/there are probably other options?) and that just determines which rotations are going to be required for you to reach requirements to graduate. For example, I'm going to track small animal, so I will only have to do 6 weeks of large animal rotations, whereas someone who tracks large animal will have fewer small animal requirements.

I know a lot of that was what was already said, but figured I might add in a slightly different perspective/I had already written it by the time other posts were posted

To elaborate on #2 there, I have done zero cat neuters and have been struggling to even get my first shift at the shelter. Students who have been a few times have a much easier time in getting a spot, but otherwise, you're sitting there refreshing the sign up page and hoping you're among the first few people in when it goes live. When they told us about the program last year, I was hoping to go through all 3 courses, but I'll only be able to (hopefully) finish the first one, which is just cat neuters. If you're around during the summer or if you're really lucky with the sign-ups, you can do a lot, but not everyone gets the chance to get that much experience. There are a ton of students signed up in the program (~200 across all 3 years, I think...?) but only a handful of spots each weekend. To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with how it's turned out.

To elaborate on #2 there, I have done zero cat neuters and have been struggling to even get my first shift at the shelter. Students who have been a few times have a much easier time in getting a spot, but otherwise, you're sitting there refreshing the sign up page and hoping you're among the first few people in when it goes live. When they told us about the program last year, I was hoping to go through all 3 courses, but I'll only be able to (hopefully) finish the first one, which is just cat neuters. If you're around during the summer or if you're really lucky with the sign-ups, you can do a lot, but not everyone gets the chance to get that much experience. There are a ton of students signed up in the program (~200 across all 3 years, I think...?) but only a handful of spots each weekend. To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with how it's turned out.
And this is definitely what a lot of people are dealing with right now. If I hadn't been able to come back last summer, I would definitely be in the same position.

And this is definitely what a lot of people are dealing with right now. If I hadn't been able to come back last summer, I would definitely be in the same position.

This was still an issue when it was just through shelter med. I didn't get a chance to go until 2nd semester which is when the 2nd years start bailing because of their exam schedule. I ended up getting castration certified quickly from then on out and was spay certified by the end of 2nd year.

I'm sorry if this was asked, but should I bring a change of clothes for the tour?

@orca2011, @raf2769 @missdarjeeling

THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCES and just being so awesomely thorough in your responses!!!!!!! And thank you again @mht2k3 !

I have additional questions if anyone can lend some wisdom here as well, regarding recruitment/merit scholarships potentially offered by Penn, that would be WONDERFUL.

I've contacted one person who was offered the recruitment scholarship specifically, but I thought I'd give this a go and post it in this thread as well due to relevancy, and potentially gaining more info regarding this as well.

(1) How long after your interview/acceptance did any of you find out you were given a (recruitment/merit) scholarship?**
I checked in an older thread and a fellow sdner said whilst interviewing, but this was back in 2013 I think.

Does anyone know if this is still true?

((I also don't believe I've already asked this question in this thread....dear god if I have I'm so sorry for being a mess!!!! I'm working on my dissertation and vet school entry shenanigans, so my brain has def. melted lol)

Bit of Background
I've been accepted to Cornell and I have an interview with UPenn this week - and I'm starting to think about which institution I would choose IF I was accepted to Penn as well, and the main driver between the two for me is financial aid and scholarships. HOWEVER of course I know there are a plethora of other factors regarding both schools and believe me I've done my research! And YES I know vet school is 99.9999999999% loans and debt ;) Lastly - a disclaimer, I don't want to list my stats in fear of sounding "braggy" which is NOT me whatsoever.....but I feel like I may be competitive for this, hence my asking.....

I just apparently have by mid March to accept Cornell's financial aid package, and I wanted to know if I would possibly hear word from Penn before then. It seems like the universal April deadline is null and void, which is a bit frustrating -_-

(2) I've heard Penn was having some shakey funding with the state lately.....and I was wondering if anyone has been greatly affected by this, or if you know anything regarding this?

Any who - thanks so much in advance for any insight!!!

Last edited:
I think recruitment scholarships are only given to OOS people as a means to make Penn more within reason if someone has an in state school that is cheaper. And I could be wrong because either way as I was not smart enough to get one. I don't think I know of anyone from my class who was IS with a recruitment scholarship. If they had one, they just didn't let it be known where as I knew of OOS people with them. I do believe you have to maintain a specific GPA all 4 years then to keep it.

For those that got a recruitment scholarship, I think they know before April 15th, but I do not know if they knew by mid-March. You may be able to ask the office directly and let them know that it could be a deciding factor for you to know ahead of time. They may still say no and then you have to decide which one you want, but may be worth a shot.

I think recruitment scholarships are only given to OOS people as a means to make Penn more within reason if someone has an in state school that is cheaper. And I could be wrong because either way I was not smart enough to get one. I don't think I know of anyone from my class who was IS with a scholarship. If they had one, they just didn't let it be known where as I knew of OOS people with them. I do believe you have to maintain a specific GPA all 4 years then to keep it.

For those that got a recruitment scholarship, I think they know before April 15th, but I do not know if they knew by mid-March. You may be able to ask the office directly and let them know that it could be a deciding factor for you to know ahead of time. They may still say no and then you have to decide which one you want, but may be worth a shot.

NOTED! ^_^ Thank you :)

@orca2011, @raf2769 @missdarjeeling

THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCES and just being so awesomely thorough in your responses!!!!!!! And thank you again @mht2k3 !

I have additional questions if anyone can lend some wisdom here as well, regarding recruitment/merit scholarships potentially offered by Penn, that would be WONDERFUL.

I've contacted one person who was offered the recruitment scholarship specifically, but I thought I'd give this a go and post it in this thread as well due to relevancy, and potentially gaining more info regarding this as well.

(1) How long after your interview/acceptance did any of you find out you were given a (recruitment/merit) scholarship?**
I checked in an older thread and a fellow sdner said whilst interviewing, but this was back in 2013 I think.

Does anyone know if this is still true?

((I also don't believe I've already asked this question in this thread....dear god if I have I'm so sorry for being a mess!!!! I'm working on my dissertation and vet school entry shenanigans, so my brain has def. melted lol)

Bit of Background
I've been accepted to Cornell and I have an interview with UPenn this week - and I'm starting to think about which institution I would choose IF I was accepted to Penn as well, and the main driver between the two for me is financial aid and scholarships. HOWEVER of course I know there are a plethora of other factors regarding both schools and believe me I've done my research! And YES I know vet school is 99.9999999999% loans and debt ;) Lastly - a disclaimer, I don't want to list my stats in fear of sounding "braggy" which is NOT me whatsoever.....but I feel like I may be competitive for this, hence my asking.....

I just apparently have by mid March to accept Cornell's financial aid package, and I wanted to know if I would possibly hear word from Penn before then. It seems like the universal April deadline is null and void, which is a bit frustrating -_-

(2) I've heard Penn was having some shakey funding with the state lately.....and I was wondering if anyone has been greatly affected by this, or if you know anything regarding this?

Any who - thanks so much in advance for any insight!!!

I think recruitment scholarships are only given to OOS people as a means to make Penn more within reason if someone has an in state school that is cheaper. And I could be wrong because either way as I was not smart enough to get one. I don't think I know of anyone from my class who was IS with a recruitment scholarship. If they had one, they just didn't let it be known where as I knew of OOS people with them. I do believe you have to maintain a specific GPA all 4 years then to keep it.

There is also some new scholarship that was offered for the first time to two of my classmates when they were deciding where to go. I don't know the details but they have to maintain a certain GPA and LA focus in order to continue receiving the scholarship. I think it covers full tuition, but not any other fees.

Would anyone who already interviewed be willing to share a little bit about their experience? Was it a more relaxed type of interview, was it crazy stressful, etc?

Does anyone know if they are still sending out interview invites? Trying not to lose all hope here..

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they are still sending out interview invites? Trying not to lose all hope here..

Same here. I think if we don't hear anything by next Friday, January 26th, it will be over.

Same here. I think if we don't hear anything by next Friday, January 26th, it will be over.
I was wondering about their process too. I haven’t even gotten like a rejection from them. Or even an update. They are my last school to hear from.

Would anyone who already interviewed be willing to share a little bit about their experience? Was it a more relaxed type of interview, was it crazy stressful, etc?
I interviewed 1/12 and it was very relaxed. It was a conversation at first (which helped calm my nerves) and then they went into the set of questions they had to ask. The questions seem kind of general but just tie in your experiences and not all have to be animal related. I ended up laughing and casually talking with the interviews. It was actually very nice. I had my friend ask me some questions to practice my responses out loud the night before and knew certain things I wanted to say for certain questions types. It was important at least for me not have a script to follow and just let my answers flow. I knew if I missed one little part of my rehearsed response I would freak out and lose focus. It is a little stressful as all interviews are but they really try to make it as stress free as possible. Make sure you have some questions for the interviews and talk with the vet students! I just got a call Monday morning saying I was accepted (IS)!!! So excited Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed 1/12 and it was very relaxed. It was a conversation at first (which helped calm my nerves) and then they went into the set of questions they had to ask. The questions seem kind of general but just tie in your experiences and not all have to be animal related. I ended up laughing and casually talking with the interviews. It was actually very nice. I had my friend ask me some questions to practice my responses out loud the night before and knew certain things I wanted to say for certain questions types. It was important at least for me not have a script to follow and just let my answers flow. I knew if I missed one little part of my rehearsed response I would freak out and lose focus. It is a little stressful as all interviews are but they really try to make it as stress free as possible. Make sure you have some questions for the interviews and talk with the vet students! I just got a call Monday morning saying I was accepted (IS)!!! So excited Good luck!
Thanks for the reply and congrats on getting accepted! I'm interviewing tomorrow...so nervous! Haha

Can anyone tell me some details about the happy hour after interviews? I don't seem to see anything in the email about it, but I would love to check it out!

Can anyone tell me some details about the happy hour after interviews? I don't seem to see anything in the email about it, but I would love to check it out!

Every Friday at 5pm the vet school has a happy hour in the student lounge (it is not an interview day event, its simply a coincidence that it falls on the interview days). The students will offer for you to join them, and professors sometimes show up, too. It's a lot of fun no matter if you drink or not. It has no bearing on your admission to the school, but if you get trashed I'm sure it would :laugh:

Every Friday at 5pm the vet school has a happy hour in the student lounge (it is not an interview day event, its simply a coincidence that it falls on the interview days). The students will offer for you to join them, and professors sometimes show up, too. It's a lot of fun no matter if you drink or not. It has no bearing on your admission to the school, but if you get trashed I'm sure it would :laugh:

Thank you so much! :)

Has anyone received an interview invite today?

Has anyone received an interview invite today?
Not me, losing hope. I called admissions office but no one answered. Maybe they were closed for weather not sure.

pretttttty sure it actually wouldn't impact admission :rofl:

wqEkR.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone send thank you emails after their interviews? I can't find their email addresses online so I don't know what to do :(

Just want to say good luck to whoever interviewed on Friday! Think waiting for the decision is killing me more than waiting for the interview. And to everyone with upcoming interviews....breathe! The interview itself seems to be fairly conversational about your resume, yourself, etc. Nothing crazy or impossible to answer. And talk to your fellow applicants...I truly enjoyed talking to almost everyone I met!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone interviewing on the 26th? I can't wait to meet you all!

Just got a call from Dr Engiles, accepted and IS!!!! WOOOOOOOT My interview was 1/19. And good luck to everyone else waiting on good news as well!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Got the call this morning, accepted OOS! :soexcited: Waiting for financial aid/to see if I got off the alternate list for my in-state... but I loved Penn! Good luck to everyone interviewing in the next few weeks - it was a really fun and relaxed day!

Reactions: 5 users