UPenn c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VMDsurgeon

Reaction score
Hey guys! I applied to vet school for the cycle of 2023 and got in, chose Penn Vet <3 but then decided to defer for a year!

So, I'll be joining the class of 2024 for all you future Penn babies!

Basically, if you guys have any questions or just wanna be friends feel free to just talk in this chat!

P.S. I am NOWHERE near a surgeon, I just WANT to be a surgeon haha (but I figured I might as well start putting my dreams out into the universe so that they manifest lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Starting in the fall and a philly native (city philly not suburbs lol). If anyone has any questions about philly or, come fall, the school, let me know! Also about interviews, the application process, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm about to graduate, but I'm also happy to answer questions, especially about commuter life.
!!! Happy Last Day !!!! :soexcited:

I'm also happy to help answer any questions, I'm going into my fourth year and starting ~clinics~ next week!

I’m applying to Penn! The best vet I’ve ever worked for/shadowed is a Penn grad and she’s only had good things to say about the school :love:

OOS, first time applicant, non-trad

I’m applying this cycle! OOS first time non-trad, although I did take undergrad classes at Penn. Another Philly area native here (grew up in South Jersey), also happy to answer questions about commuter life! I loved living in Philly and have also loved living in South Jersey for various reasons :)

Last edited:
hi! im part of the class of 2023. just wanted to give everyone a heads up - DOUBLE CHECK YOUR PRE-REQS!!!! unless it has changed this year, penn does NOT have you assign pre-reqs on VMCAS, nor do they email you about outstanding pre-reqs. since literally every other school i applied to did one or both of those things, i didn't actually realize that i needed to check penn's website for pre-reqs and it wasn't until i was accepted and they sent the accepted student's ppwk with the pre-req audit that i realized i was missing one class and short credits in another. now im taking 2 classes online before matriculation!

SO DOUBLE CHECK!!! DONT BE STUPID LIKE ME!!!!!! ALL I WANTED TO DO THIS SUMMER WAS QUIT MY JOB, TRAVEL, AND VEG OUT BUT IM IN CLASS!!!!!!! :(

Reactions: 3 users
Hey hey. I applied this cycle. OOS, first time applicant, graduated last year with my bachelors, then took a gap year to work and gain experience! Good luck y’all. Penn is definitely pretty cool.

hi! im part of the class of 2023. just wanted to give everyone a heads up - DOUBLE CHECK YOUR PRE-REQS!!!! unless it has changed this year, penn does NOT have you assign pre-reqs on VMCAS, nor do they email you about outstanding pre-reqs. since literally every other school i applied to did one or both of those things, i didn't actually realize that i needed to check penn's website for pre-reqs and it wasn't until i was accepted and they sent the accepted student's ppwk with the pre-req audit that i realized i was missing one class and short credits in another. now im taking 2 classes online before matriculation!

SO DOUBLE CHECK!!! DONT BE STUPID LIKE ME!!!!!! ALL I WANTED TO DO THIS SUMMER WAS QUIT MY JOB, TRAVEL, AND VEG OUT BUT IM IN CLASS!!!!!!! :(

ahh that does not sound fun. How did the rest of the summer go making up your classes? I would guess you're starting first year now? I am missing their calculus pre-requisite....so not looking forward to taking that class. Plan to take it online in the spring.

I'm a first time applicant, OOS nontraditional. My parents live in Philly and I lived there for many years as well. Excited to apply to this school.

Does anyone know how Penn communicates with us? Is there a portal or will they email us, if there is a portal what is the address?

Does anyone know how Penn communicates with us? Is there a portal or will they email us, if there is a portal what is the address?
back in my day, it was all via email. pretty sure it's still the same :)

Still via email. Don’t worry, you probably won’t hear from them for a very long time. You should get an email saying that their next correspondence won’t be until like November or December. I didn’t hear from them until my interview invite, and I think I got the invite at the beginning of January. It’s a waiting game! But if you ever have any questions, contact Rob. He’s seriously awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did/does anyone here commute from the Doylestown, Bucks County area? If so how is it? How early do you have to leave in the morning and about how late do you get home at night? Thanks!
For context, I'm a second time applicant, graduated from Penn State in 2017 with a veterinary and biomedical sciences bachelor's. I've lived in Bucks County my whole life, Perkasie to be exact. Doylestown is the nearest train station!

Did/does anyone here commute from the Doylestown, Bucks County area? If so how is it? How early do you have to leave in the morning and about how late do you get home at night? Thanks!
For context, I'm a second time applicant, graduated from Penn State in 2017 with a veterinary and biomedical sciences bachelor's. I've lived in Bucks County my whole life, Perkasie to be exact. Doylestown is the nearest train station!
I commuted from Chester County (Paoli train station) which I think is father than your commute, and I did it for all 4 years. Most days I left my house around 6:30am and I probably got back around 6pm. For me it wasn’t bad and I had a few classmates that made similar commutes. It saves on rent money for sure. It can cut into some of the social aspects though.

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck everyone! I'm not on here much anymore, but I'm a 2016 grad. Probably not the most useful for questions as I'm sure some stuff as changed, but still feel free to reach out.

any current penn students (especially first years in the class of 2023) have any opinions about the school? pennvet is my dream school and has my heart <3

also anyone applying this cycle with penn as their top choice?

any current penn students (especially first years in the class of 2023) have any opinions about the school? pennvet is my dream school and has my heart <3

also anyone applying this cycle with penn as their top choice?
First year here. I really genuinely like the school. The professors are overall very good, they want you to pass all your classes and understand the material, and while there a lectures that don’t really make sense you can always watch them again online and review the material. Penn isn’t in the business of taking your money and leaving you to fail out. They throw a ton of credits and work at you first semester and then it calms down apparently. Anatomy is really my only complaint in that it’s a ton of material with your main source of guidance being the textbook, but it’s honestly fine. It’s a beast of a class at every school and if you put in the hours in lab to understand the material then you’ll learn. We do it very quickly (all of the dog minus the head in around 5-6 weeks) so that’s difficult. But manageable.

There’s also a great sense of camaraderie and it’s not competitive at all. Rankings are a thing but no one cares yet, and upperclassmen have said no one ends up caring when they’re released anyway (save for a few people). Everyone is in it together and is very helpful. People share notes, old exams, and quizlets to give everyone a chance to do well together. We also have a free Happy Hour in the student lounge every Friday after class when people go and get up to three drinks (beer, cider, white claw type drinks) for free. Professors go too and guests are welcome. It’s really awesome to just unwind with your classmates and hang out in a setting where nothing matters. This is something that I haven’t heard of at other schools. Not necessarily a main selling point but it’s really cool hahaha.

I would honestly say vet school sounds extremely difficult and taxing everywhere. I’ve also heard from other first years that so far, it’s less work at their school than it is here. But that varies from semester to semester. Penn has been doing this for a very long time, and they know how to make good vets. You get lots of opportunities to shadow the different departments at the hospital and get into clinical settings. You can do it as much as you want. So far, emergency services, neurology, onco, and surgery have shadowing availability. There are other departments you can get into for rounds if you want as well. I haven’t been doing this recently because of exams, but it’s really cool to work with the fourth years, interns, residents, and attendings in a clinical setting as early as your second week.

Once you come to penn and see what it’s like, you’ll fall in love with it. It’s a cool setting in that it’s smack dab in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the country. New Bolton Center is out in the country sort of and is a much different setting for the large animal facility. The school has some very new state of the art facilities but also some very old (like, over a century old) facilities that are charming and have a lot of history associated with them. It’s very interesting and reminds you of where you are and who came before you. I can’t see myself at any other school, and I’m very happy I chose Penn. If you have any specific questions, let me know!

Reactions: 8 users
First year here. I really genuinely like the school. The professors are overall very good, they want you to pass all your classes and understand the material, and while there a lectures that don’t really make sense you can always watch them again online and review the material. Penn isn’t in the business of taking your money and leaving you to fail out. They throw a ton of credits and work at you first semester and then it calms down apparently. Anatomy is really my only complaint in that it’s a ton of material with your main source of guidance being the textbook, but it’s honestly fine. It’s a beast of a class at every school and if you put in the hours in lab to understand the material then you’ll learn. We do it very quickly (all of the dog minus the head in around 5-6 weeks) so that’s difficult. But manageable.

There’s also a great sense of camaraderie and it’s not competitive at all. Rankings are a thing but no one cares yet, and upperclassmen have said no one ends up caring when they’re released anyway (save for a few people). Everyone is in it together and is very helpful. People share notes, old exams, and quizlets to give everyone a chance to do well together. We also have a free Happy Hour in the student lounge every Friday after class when people go and get up to three drinks (beer, cider, white claw type drinks) for free. Professors go too and guests are welcome. It’s really awesome to just unwind with your classmates and hang out in a setting where nothing matters. This is something that I haven’t heard of at other schools. Not necessarily a main selling point but it’s really cool hahaha.

I would honestly say vet school sounds extremely difficult and taxing everywhere. I’ve also heard from other first years that so far, it’s less work at their school than it is here. But that varies from semester to semester. Penn has been doing this for a very long time, and they know how to make good vets. You get lots of opportunities to shadow the different departments at the hospital and get into clinical settings. You can do it as much as you want. So far, emergency services, neurology, onco, and surgery have shadowing availability. There are other departments you can get into for rounds if you want as well. I haven’t been doing this recently because of exams, but it’s really cool to work with the fourth years, interns, residents, and attendings in a clinical setting as early as your second week.

Once you come to penn and see what it’s like, you’ll fall in love with it. It’s a cool setting in that it’s smack dab in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the country. New Bolton Center is out in the country sort of and is a much different setting for the large animal facility. The school has some very new state of the art facilities but also some very old (like, over a century old) facilities that are charming and have a lot of history associated with them. It’s very interesting and reminds you of where you are and who came before you. I can’t see myself at any other school, and I’m very happy I chose Penn. If you have any specific questions, let me know!
Thank you! This was great!

I am also a current first year at Penn - please feel free to PM me with any specific questions!

Just received my application acknowledgment email (OOS)! :) This process is so incredibly nerve wracking its truly unbelievable.

Just received my application acknowledgment email (OOS)! :) This process is so incredibly nerve wracking its truly unbelievable.

Congrats! Yes it's definitely a crazy process. I'm one of the student admissions representatives, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Reactions: 1 users

I’m also OOS and received it yesterday.

It takes a while to work through all of the applications; they don't all come out at once. Feel free to email Rob or Allison if you're concerned about anything though!

Hi! I’m a current first year, commuting from Newtown (Woodbourne station on the west Trenton line) I love commuting, because I hate the city and honestly the train ride is an awesome built in study time. I know Doylestown line is a little different, but for a regular 9-5 day I leave at 7:16 and get back at 6:30ish

Hey I just wanted to stop in and say not to freak out if you don’t hear anything from Penn for a loooong time. Penn was my dream school and I was IS so I thought I had a decent shot. I didn’t get an interview I bode until February, after I had interviewed at all the other schools I applied to. I got my invite on a Wednesday, interviewed that Friday, and was accepted on Monday. Penn honestly has a VERY disorganized admissions process so try not to lose entire nights of sleep like I did

me neither - OOS also

I hadn't gotten one either, but just received it yesterday afternoon. I'm sure they're just working through them in batches. OOS and I submitted a few days before the deadline.

Just wanted to stop in and echo vetin22’s sentiments. Things are hectic and very nerve-racking right now for you guys and it’s difficult when schools are all on different timelines. I would say PennVet has one of the most responsive and easy to talk to admissions departments. Rob and Allison will respond to you very fast usually (I’ve heard back within like 30 minutes before) and are always super nonchalant and laid back. It helps to take the edge off of this whole process. Please don’t be afraid to contact them if you have any questions. And if for some reason you feel like you have an embarrassing question that you don’t want to ask admissions (and I can almost assure you there’s no such thing, but I digress), let us know!

Does Penn offer health insurance to students through the school?

And unless things have change, I'm pretty sure it covered the Rabies vaccine if you got it done through the school when you get there.
That’s correct. However, I ended up getting it for free at Walgreens with my own insurance. My insurance said it wouldn’t be covered, Walgreens said it would, and it was. I’ve heard of this happening to a lot of people.

I don't use Penn's insurance, and my insurance didn't cover rabies. So, getting that $975 covered immediately is a nice thing if you're weighing insurance options.

Here’s a really cool article that demonstrates PennVet’s (and Penn Med’s) commitment to One Health. Really amazing story.

I got emailed a rejection this morning (11/25). I feel really sad, but I'm not giving up hope because I've yet to hear from a few other schools. Good luck everyone else <3

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I got emailed a rejection this morning (11/25). I feel really sad, but I'm not giving up hope because I've yet to hear from a few other schools. Good luck everyone else <3

I’m sorry :( The first rejection stings. Did the email say why - like you’re missing a requirement or something?

I’m sorry :( The first rejection stings. Did the email say why - like you’re missing a requirement or something?

Said I wasn’t as competitive as other applicants, which I’ve been prepared to see cause tbh my GPA sucks

Said I wasn’t as competitive as other applicants, which I’ve been prepared to see cause tbh my GPA sucks

Hopefully another school will see your value!

Sorry to here :( are you IS or OOS?

I also got rejected for the same reason and am OOS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Sad
I'm OOS and also got rejected for not being competitive.

• Sad