UPenn c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would any current students be able to post the requirements for the microscope please? Thanks!
Like Amburrito said, definitely see if people are selling theirs. And ask in the Facebook group if anyone who bought their own can share a link if you want to get a new one. That way you know you’re getting one that has already passed the requirements. Typically the only thing you may need to order in addition is an eyepiece with a pointer if it doesn’t come with one since you’ll need that for exams and it’s also just good for orienting yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If you own your microscope and you either have to suddenly get a new one or send it off for repairs, are there back-up ones in lab you can use?
Would any current students be able to post the requirements for the microscope please? Thanks!

I did both, I rented one and bought a used microscope -- don't ask. I ended up using my rental, and my table mate didn't have one at the time, so I let him use the microscope and it worked out fine. I think it depends on the person you buy it from/how you treat your microscope -- if you bang it around, sure the bulb will break and you will need repairs. Also, Sparky Lok has some extra ones in his cabinets if you need for an exam, just ask :) Usually first years don't know this as he's a second year professor.

The rental for the microscope through I. Miller is $378 + $75 refundable deposit (total is $453). I'm selling my microscope for $250 (same brand and objective lenses etc), which is a savings of $128 and you wouldn’t need to put down an additional $75 for the deposit either ($203 savings). It's in great condition.

Is your microscope kept in the lab throughout the semester, and are classes other than histo where you need to have your own microscope?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's kept in the lab all year. histo is the only class you need it for first year, but sometimes you might also use it for wetlabs. 2nd year you use it for micro, path, and parasit (and maybe more but those are the ones i know of)
you take it home over the summer, but it can stay in your locker over winter break

I got my microscope off of amazon for $150 and it passed the "inspection". It definitely was not as good as the one I could have rented but I ended up saving close to $250. So, don't be too afraid to make sure you get a decent scope because it will make the difference when you have to show a professor something on a practical.

I got my microscope off of amazon for $150 and it passed the "inspection". It definitely was not as good as the one I could have rented but I ended up saving close to $250. So, don't be too afraid to make sure you get a decent scope because it will make the difference when you have to show a professor something on a practical.
So overall do you recommend buying a cheaper one? Sorry I’m not sure if you were happy or unhappy with what you showed your professors on practicals. And do you have the exact name/link to the scope? Thanks!

Hey guys! Just wanted to hop on and give some updates we learned in an orientation leader meeting today. You guys should get info about microscopes very soon (if not already!) so I would hold off on any decisions until you read that email. I'm sorry if that's vague, but the only thing we learned 100% for sure is that this year will be VERY different than past years, so just know that the experiences and advice from upperclassman may or may not apply to this year's situation. There are a bunch of different plans for orientation and this fall up in the air, and we won't really know what's going on until we know the state of the world in the fall and admin finalizes their plans. I'm sorry if that's frustrating or cryptic; I just wanted to be transparent and communicate what little info I have, because it's what I would have wanted in your shoes!

Received an email from Deb a few days saying that a microscope isn't required for the first year, and may be required for the second year.

Reactions: 1 user
Current students: Is 44th and Walnut a manageable distance from campus? Hard to get a sense from just looking at a map

Current students: Is 44th and Walnut a manageable distance from campus? Hard to get a sense from just looking at a map
For sure! I live that exact distance from school and it’s an easy walk. I wouldn’t go much farther, but it’s not a bad distance at all.

For sure! I live that exact distance from school and it’s an easy walk. I wouldn’t go much farther, but it’s not a bad distance at all.
Hah, that distance as the crow flies mr center city.

100% easy walk to & from campus! Also that’s right where my fave bar (Local 44) and my fave restaurant (Manakeesh) in U City are :D

I don’t live in center city! I used to before school. So HA!

snippity snap! Just got told!!

100% easy walk to & from campus! Also that’s right where my fave bar (Local 44) and my fave restaurant (Manakeesh) in U City are :D

Have you noticed the bartenders are often grouchy?? I love the ambiance and the little bottle shop but eh. I usually got Pasqually's around the corner which is more divey but prices are good and they know me on sight which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you ask. Manakeesh bakery FTW!

snippity snap! Just got told!!

Have you noticed the bartenders are often grouchy?? I love the ambiance and the little bottle shop but eh. I usually got Pasqually's around the corner which is more divey but prices are good and they know me on sight which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you ask. Manakeesh bakery FTW!

1 MILLION percent agree, they are not super nice, but their drinks are delicious and they have tasty vegan snackies :D

BUT I'm also now remembering Dock Street and that's so much better, I take back about Local 44 being my favorite, DOCK STREEEET. Literally the BEST pizza I've ever had, and fantastic beer. Now I'm craving it and am going to have to go on a takeout pilgrimage...

1 MILLION percent agree, they are not super nice, but their drinks are delicious and they have tasty vegan snackies :D

BUT I'm also now remembering Dock Street and that's so much better, I take back about Local 44 being my favorite, DOCK STREEEET. Literally the BEST pizza I've ever had, and fantastic beer. Now I'm craving it and am going to have to go on a takeout pilgrimage...
Hahaha take out pizza and street margs. Love it. Although, I've started making my own from scratch and with fresh limes and once you do that... no going back!

Hahaha take out pizza and street margs. Love it. Although, I've started making my own from scratch and with fresh limes and once you do that... no going back!
That is fair, I have never been brave enough, but that could definitely happen in celebration of being done my summer classes...

Now I also need kunafa from Manakeesh. I think I'm just going to drive into the city and wait in my car for takeout lol

Hey! I was just offered a spot from the waitlist (originally ranked 2) that I will be turning down later today. So it’s moving a little bit at least.