UPenn c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! Does Penn have a computer or tablet requirement?
Nope. Just need it to be able to access lockdown browser when in person. So really any laptop should be able to do that. And I think iPads can too, but I need to double check that. Most people use MacBooks, iPads, or whichever windows laptop they like best.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
are the grants only given out after you commit to the school or will we know before we have to make a decision? and is it possible to receive both a recruitment scholarship and a grant? thanks so much!
Honestly, I am not sure. I can ask the board what they know about the grants and other scholarships OR you can email Nichole Davis Moore.
She is the director of scholarships and financial aid, and is AMAZING at her job. She always updates us on a variety of scholarships including those offered by the school.
She always sends reminders about deadlines too.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS acceptance! I still can’t believe it but now the cost of tuition and living in Philly is setting in. Any advice on how to afford living in Philly and what neighborhoods to look for housing in that are safe but affordable? Also does anybody have experience applying to external scholarships? From what I’ve seen it looks like they are mainly for 2nd year students or higher.
You will be put in a Facebook group with your other classmates once your accept your position and they are very good about sharing housing availability of years past.
So if a fourth or third year moves out of their on-campus apartment, they will put it in the doc and you’ll see what’s available.

I don’t live on campus but take public transit to get to school: 15 min drive —> 30 min public transit
So if you want a cheaper option, you can just look where SEPTA runs!
Be aware, there are some bad neighborhoods and there are some good (really flippin adorable) neighborhoods just like any other city.

If you go on Google Maps, you’ll see there’s a load of townhouses/condos/apartment options within a block behind Ryan Hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we will be notified about the decision for implementing the new curriculum for our class? My interviewer said things were up in the air because they didn't want us to start a whole new curriculum in the fall while also navigating covid challenges. She said they would make a decision in February though, so I'm just curious how we can find out if they decided to implement it or not! I really really really hope that they do

Does anyone know if we will be notified about the decision for implementing the new curriculum for our class? My interviewer said things were up in the air because they didn't want us to start a whole new curriculum in the fall while also navigating covid challenges. She said they would make a decision in February though, so I'm just curious how we can find out if they decided to implement it or not! I really really really hope that they do
I’m not sure when an official decision will be released, but to my knowledge they’re putting it on hold for one more year. I’d assume due to the fact that there will be growing pains with transitioning back to in-person learning, and adding a new curriculum for first years into the mix would probably cause chaos.

I’m not sure when an official decision will be released, but to my knowledge they’re putting it on hold for one more year. I’d assume due to the fact that there will be growing pains with transitioning back to in-person learning, and adding a new curriculum for first years into the mix would probably cause chaos.
Totally understandable and that makes a lot of sense, but I can't help but be disappointed that coronavirus has ruined yet another cool opportunity. My interviewer definitely emphasized how the new curriculum is a lot more integrated and hands-on, and that they spent over a year researching the best way to teach the material, so I would have loved for them to start implementing it with our class. I have no doubt that the current curriculum is still great though, since Penn has such a high pass rate on the NAVLE and has graduated amazing vets (including both of my vet LORs!) with the current curriculum.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally understandable and that makes a lot of sense, but I can't help but be disappointed that coronavirus has ruined yet another cool opportunity. My interviewer definitely emphasized how the new curriculum is a lot more integrated and hands-on, and that they spent over a year researching the best way to teach the material, so I would have loved for them to start implementing it with our class. I have no doubt that the current curriculum is still great though, since Penn has such a high pass rate on the NAVLE and has graduated amazing vets (including both of my vet LORs!) with the current curriculum.
Yea I feel you. As I’ve said before, there are tons of opportunities for hands-on experience during non-Covid times, so I wouldn’t let it deter you too much. But it’s really unfortunate that the new curriculum is being impacted because I think it’ll be a really good change that will help Penn transition into a more modern way of teaching.

So to go back to the financial aid conversation... I understand that not every accepted applicant will be offered a “recruitment” scholarship, but there are still scholarships offered to other first-year students. I was accepted this week but haven’t heard anything about a recruitment scholarship, so I’m going to guess I am not under consideration for one and given my stats, I think that’s fair. However, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share how much $ they were offered in terms of other first-year scholarships? Obviously if you don’t want to state publicly that’s fine, so if I can pm someone to ask I’d appreciate that too! I’m a veteran so I have some veterans benefits, but they won’t cover the full cost and I’m trying to gauge how much I can expect to make up with scholarships from the school.

Yay! Was accepted (OOS) today! =) A bit on the fence though as I was also accepted into Davis (in-state) and Colorado... thoughts?
Is there a significant difference in the cost for each school? They are all amazing schools and so congratulations for getting accepted to all three! But I would say unless there’s a huge reason for attending one over the other (family nearby, one school has a program you’re interested in that the other two absolutely do not have at all) I would definitely go to the cheapest one!!

Yay! Was accepted (OOS) today! =) A bit on the fence though as I was also accepted into Davis (in-state) and Colorado... thoughts?
I honestly would go to Davis. It’s your in state so is likely far cheaper than the other two, especially Penn. I can’t think of anything that you would get out of going to Penn that you can’t get at Davis.

So to go back to the financial aid conversation... I understand that not every accepted applicant will be offered a “recruitment” scholarship, but there are still scholarships offered to other first-year students. I was accepted this week but haven’t heard anything about a recruitment scholarship, so I’m going to guess I am not under consideration for one and given my stats, I think that’s fair. However, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share how much $ they were offered in terms of other first-year scholarships? Obviously if you don’t want to state publicly that’s fine, so if I can pm someone to ask I’d appreciate that too! I’m a veteran so I have some veterans benefits, but they won’t cover the full cost and I’m trying to gauge how much I can expect to make up with scholarships from the school.
Hi, second year here :) I received a recruitment scholarship offer in April, and per the scholarship description, GPA and GRE are not the most important stats for consideration, so I would not write yourself out just yet. Please feel free to PM if I can be of help.

Hi, second year here :) I received a recruitment scholarship offer in April, and per the scholarship description, GPA and GRE are not the most important stats for consideration, so I would not write yourself out just yet. Please feel free to PM if I can be of help.
I am going to second this. I was offered one last week and my stats are really not super, so I do think they are looking more holistically.

Members don't see this ad :)

I sat on my acceptance for a while -- accepted first week of Jan and I think I was offered a recruitment scholarship sometime at the beginning of March? So don't give up hope yet. I just didn't accept my seat and was asked about that BEFORE I was offered the scholarship so keep that in mind...

Congrats!! I loved Colorado and Tufts as well and in the end chose Penn for financial reasons. I sometimes wonder what Colorado would have been like, but Penn made sense for the research type stuff that I want to do after vet school.

I just didn't accept my seat and was asked about that BEFORE I was offered the scholarship so keep that in mind...
Interesting... Do you have to accept the offer before they offer you scholarships, then? It seems counterintuitive because I don’t know if I’ll pick them if I don’t know how much it will cost

Interesting... Do you have to accept the offer before they offer you scholarships, then? It seems counterintuitive because I don’t know if I’ll pick them if I don’t know how much it will cost
Agreed, at this point I think my final decision is going to completely come down to cost. It would definitely be helpful to know the whole financial picture of each school before the deadline

I was offered my recruitment scholarship before committing (still haven’t committed anywhere yet) but I am getting kind of nervous that I won’t know the rest of the financial aid offer before the deadline! The financial aid application will open in mid-February, but for some of the other schools I am doing financial aid applications for (cough Cornell cough) the application is DUE in mid-february so they will have the offer made before april.

I was offered my recruitment scholarship before committing (still haven’t committed anywhere yet) but I am getting kind of nervous that I won’t know the rest of the financial aid offer before the deadline! The financial aid application will open in mid-February, but for some of the other schools I am doing financial aid applications for (cough Cornell cough) the application is DUE in mid-february so they will have the offer made before april.
That’s good to know! I’m going to give it the rest of the week before I inquire about it since I just got my acceptance last week. But I have the same worry about running out of time! I’m also trying to get more funds from the VA and they are moving at the speed of government... aka slow!!! Haha

That’s good to know! I’m going to give it the rest of the week before I inquire about it since I just got my acceptance last week. But I have the same worry about running out of time! I’m also trying to get more funds from the VA and they are moving at the speed of government... aka slow!!! Haha
Yeah I would definitely give it a week before emailing- I was accepted on January 13th and didn’t receive my recruitment scholarship until February 3. Rob specifically said in the email that the scholarship was awarded 100% based on my impact on my interviewers, and not tied to GPA, GRE, or any stuff like that so I wouldn’t count yourself out for possibly getting one! During the financial aid zoom last week, they said that they awarded $1,087,350 in recruitment scholarships alone last year. Compared to $483,000 in merit scholarships and $110,000 in need based grants awarded last year. I also remember reading somewhere that they awarded 32 recruitment scholarships either last year or the year before. It was in some kind of Penn Vet budget report document I found online. The only other thing to keep in mind for why the recruitment scholarships get so much money compared to the other ones is because they are 4 years while merit and need based are not (i believe). Just some numbers to keep in mind!

Hey so I've heard absolutely NOTHING from Penn ever since I paid their application fee--should I just be assuming at this point I'm denied..? It's so weird I don't even get any update or newsletter emails like all the other schools, do they just not do those? I mean I know they have my email since they sent me the application fee link and a confirmation email... but since then, radio silence....

Hey so I've heard absolutely NOTHING from Penn ever since I paid their application fee--should I just be assuming at this point I'm denied..? It's so weird I don't even get any update or newsletter emails like all the other schools, do they just not do those? I mean I know they have my email since they sent me the application fee link and a confirmation email... but since then, radio silence....
same here, it's really weird not to hear anything at all. I've just been going off of the assumption that I'm denied and focusing my energy on other schools I applied to at this point. If I get an interview invite in the next week, it'll be a nice surprise, but I'm not expecting it.

Agreed, at this point I think my final decision is going to completely come down to cost. It would definitely be helpful to know the whole financial picture of each school before the deadline
I did not have to accept the offer before they told me about the scholarship -- I'm trying to say that there is a nuance... just like @Dana_May_B said above... she was awarded her scholarship based on the impact of the interview.... I assume that I had a similar impact and Rob was prepared to offer the scholarship over the phone, however, he inquired as to if there was a specific reason as to why I had not yet accepted the general acceptance offer etc before telling me about the scholarship. Once I told him about various other acceptances and $ offers, he had to pull out the big guns and offer the scholarship -- but can you imagine the alternate scenario? A phone conversation later he gets me to accept without even having to offer the $? That would be a nice sum of money that he would be able to save to recruit someone else that "Penn" decides that they need to/would like to have at their school. It's a numbers game, and yes, they want to help people as much as they can, but at the same time, they also have their own agenda.

but can you imagine the alternate scenario? A phone conversation later he gets me to accept without even having to offer the $? That would be a nice sum of money that he would be able to save to recruit someone else that "Penn" decides that they need to/would like to have at their school. It's a numbers game, and yes, they want to help people as much as they can, but at the same time, they also have their own agenda.
Yeah, I get that the school wants to be able to hold onto their available scholarship funds, so if someone will accept an offer without a scholarship that's great for them. I get it. But I think each person should advocate for themselves and not accept an offer without trying to get a full picture of available financial aid, especially knowing the financial outlook upon graduation. If someone is in a position to do that, great, but most people aren't. You gotta look out for #1 because nobody else will! As you say, they have their own agenda

same here, it's really weird not to hear anything at all. I've just been going off of the assumption that I'm denied and focusing my energy on other schools I applied to at this point. If I get an interview invite in the next week, it'll be a nice surprise, but I'm not expecting it.
Given my experience last year, I think so - this is about the point where they’d stopped sending out new interview invites, but there’s a small possibility there might be another round or two.

Have you heard from other schools? I have one friend where his VMCAS application was never verified so it didn’t go through with the domestic schools. Can you check with VMCAS?

I honestly would go to Davis. It’s your in state so is likely far cheaper than the other two, especially Penn. I can’t think of anything that you would get out of going to Penn that you can’t get at Davis.
I believe I am getting the recruitment scholarship- this would make the prices similar

I believe I am getting the recruitment scholarship- this would make the prices similar
i just checked on VIN and in state at davis seems to be about $150,000 cheaper than out of state at penn. my recruitment scholarship over 4 years wouldn’t cover 1/3 of that difference. so if you haven’t already been awarded a recruitment scholarship, i really really wouldn’t count on that making the prices equal.

Do rejected people get called the week after their interview as well?

Do rejected people get called the week after their interview as well?
I think they said they would be sending out hold and rejections via email in a week or two

Edited to add: This was for my round of interviews. I'm assuming its the same for each round (1-2 weeks after the interview). Unsure about those that didn't get an interview.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when last
Interviews will be or should I start getting concerned now

Does anyone know when last
Interviews will be or should I start getting concerned now
I think the last round of interviews is the last Friday in February, based off of what they've said. I got my invite on Feb. 3rd for an interview on the 19th, so if they hold with the pattern the invites for an interview on the 26th should be going out tomorrow/Thursday of this week.

Has anyone heard anything at all today regarding interviews? I haven't gotten anything (no surprise there) but I'm curious because it doesn't seem like anyone on here or on the Facebook page heard either

Has anyone heard anything at all today regarding interviews? I haven't gotten anything (no surprise there) but I'm curious because it doesn't seem like anyone on here or on the Facebook page heard either
Nope, nothing here. Don’t know if that is good or bad

nada

I was just coming on here to ask about this! Are there still interview days left? Don't they have like 5-6 interview days total?

Well I can confirm there are interview dates still available, just got an OOS interview invite!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I also just got an OOS interview invite, for 2/26!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they have sent out rejections or will they do that all at the end
They’ve definitely sent out one round of rejections, but I believe they typically only do that with candidates they don’t have any intention to offer an interview. You essentially stay on a unofficial interview waitlist until the last round, just in case someone declines & they have a spot open up. (If my impression of the system is correct!) There will be a final round of rejections that goes out either right around or right after the final interview day. Given my file review last year, not having received a rejection yet essentially means you’re REALLY close to getting an interview.

Reactions: 3 users
They’ve definitely sent out one round of rejections, but I believe they typically only do that with candidates they don’t have any intention to offer an interview. You essentially stay on a unofficial interview waitlist until the last round, just in case someone declines & they have a spot open up. (If my impression of the system is correct!) There will be a final round of rejections that goes out either right around or right after the final interview day. Given my file review last year, not having received a rejection yet essentially means you’re REALLY close to getting an interview.
Thank you

Okay did anyone else feel like their interview didn’t go well? Granted I just got my second covid vaccine and am feeling extremely sick. My interviewers seemed nice but they totally grilled me!!!

Okay did anyone else feel like their interview didn’t go well? Granted I just got my second covid vaccine and am feeling extremely sick. My interviewers seemed nice but they totally grilled me!!!
Grilled you about what? Your stats? or what you know?

Specific knowledge from the field. Then they asked my top 3 vet schools. I didn’t know that was allowed

Specific knowledge from the field. Then they asked my top 3 vet schools. I didn’t know that was allowed
Me neither :oops: Was one of them in a field that you have experience in/are interested in going into? I felt like I was grilled last year, but I think it had to do with the fact I was applying as a junior.

woah i had a completely different experience! they started off by saying they were gonna ask me 5 generic questions, and that every student interviewing would be asked those same questions. then after those main questions they asked about a specific experience on my application and i had time to ask them questions too. i’m so sorry you had a negative experience, that sounds super stressful!!!