UPenn c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I'm here as well but when I asked Rob about the recruitment scholarships before he said they won't go out until later and definitely weren't in our letters!
what?????????? this would be huge. im so glad i saw this message before i submitted my deposit to cornell haha. im sending him an email right now!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 2.51.47 PM.png

Wow. So looks like we have a longggggg time to wait until we find out. Kinda ridiculous that "recruitment" scholarships can go out after the decision deadline. Who are you recruiting if everyone has already accepted an offer of admission hahahaha
 
hi everyone!! does anyone have any interview tips? upenn is my first choice and I am so excited to have gotten and interview and nervous! I've seen that it's very relaxed and good to use experiences to answers questions etc....anything else to help me stand out so I can get accepted? thank you!!
 
hi everyone!! does anyone have any interview tips? upenn is my first choice and I am so excited to have gotten and interview and nervous! I've seen that it's very relaxed and good to use experiences to answers questions etc....anything else to help me stand out so I can get accepted? thank you!!
Just be cool and relaxed. There’s not much more to it. Know your application and reinforce that stuff. Based off of your application, Penn wants you as is. So stick to it.
 
Had my interview today! I think it went well so I’m really anxious to hear back! They said we would hear within two weeks, but from what you guys have been saying, it seems like accepted students have been notified the following week? Is that correct?
 
Had my interview today! I think it went well so I’m really anxious to hear back! They said we would hear within two weeks, but from what you guys have been saying, it seems like accepted students have been notified the following week? Is that correct?
Yea you’ll typically hear by Monday if you’re accepted. Some Tuesday, some Wednesday. It really depends on how busy your interviewer is. But almost definitely by Wednesday if accepted.
 
Had my interview today! I think it went well so I’m really anxious to hear back! They said we would hear within two weeks, but from what you guys have been saying, it seems like accepted students have been notified the following week? Is that correct?
I also had my interview today!! Good luck!!!!!! Longest weekend ever 🤣
 
View attachment 328593
Wow. So looks like we have a longggggg time to wait until we find out. Kinda ridiculous that "recruitment" scholarships can go out after the decision deadline. Who are you recruiting if everyone has already accepted an offer of admission hahahaha
I’m fairly certain this is because not everyone will accept their spot and scholarship. Even after the deadline, someone may be waitlisted elsewhere and their plans will change, so the scholarship funds get redistributed.
 
I’m fairly certain this is because not everyone will accept their spot and scholarship. Even after the deadline, someone may be waitlisted elsewhere and their plans will change, so the scholarship funds get redistributed.
Ok that makes a lot more sense 😂 I just thought it was kinda funny that recruitment scholarships would be used to “recruit” people who are already committed hahaha fingers crossed we all hear some good news long before the April 15 deadline though!
 
How formal did you all dress for the interview? The only other interview I did required business formal and luckily I was home for xmas and able to steal my mom's business suit LOL. but i don't have anything business formal in my closet here at school
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How formal did you all dress for the interview? The only other interview I did required business formal and luckily I was home for xmas and able to steal my mom's business suit LOL. but i don't have anything business formal in my closet here at school
Well on the plus side it’s virtual. So you can set your camera to where they can’t see any of your pants. So you’ve just gotta worry about a top. Personally I worse a nice shirt and blazer, but you can probably get away with just a nice dress shirt.
 
Does anyone know if they send out formal rejection letters when they are all done with interviews?
 
Does anyone know if they send out formal rejection letters when they are all done with interviews?
Per their email after applications were received:

We understand that the application process is both time consuming and stressful, so we will make every attempt to be as timely as we can. The process is lengthy and typically lasts through February. Because interview invitations are notsent on only one date, not receiving an invite in late December or early January does not mean your application is no longer being considered. We will invite applicants to interview each week beginning in late December through the end of our interview period in February. At the end of the interview period, you will receive an email notification if you have not been selected for interview and are no longer being considered.
 
Per their email after applications were received:

We understand that the application process is both time consuming and stressful, so we will make every attempt to be as timely as we can. The process is lengthy and typically lasts through February. Because interview invitations are notsent on only one date, not receiving an invite in late December or early January does not mean your application is no longer being considered. We will invite applicants to interview each week beginning in late December through the end of our interview period in February. At the end of the interview period, you will receive an email notification if you have not been selected for interview and are no longer being considered.
Thanks so much!
 
OOS acceptance! I still can’t believe it but now the cost of tuition and living in Philly is setting in. Any advice on how to afford living in Philly and what neighborhoods to look for housing in that are safe but affordable? Also does anybody have experience applying to external scholarships? From what I’ve seen it looks like they are mainly for 2nd year students or higher.
 
OOS acceptance! I still can’t believe it but now the cost of tuition and living in Philly is setting in. Any advice on how to afford living in Philly and what neighborhoods to look for housing in that are safe but affordable? Also does anybody have experience applying to external scholarships? From what I’ve seen it looks like they are mainly for 2nd year students or higher.
Congrats! The main answer is loans. They cover the cost of attendance. It’s a lot to take on, but it is what it is. You’ll want to stick to areas that are south of market st and East of around 44th or so. But the further south you go, the further west you can go. So for example, I wouldn’t live at 46th and chestnut, but 46th and spruce is fine. As you get closer to Penn’s actual campus the price goes up. But if you live with a roommate it’s not too bad. I can’t really speak on the scholarship situation because I’m an anxious lazy person who hasn’t applied for any.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all, just for anyone who is wondering about recruitment scholarships, I just gone one in an email this morning! Rob said that they will be sending them out through email instead of phone calls this year.
congrats! Did he say if they are all going out now?
 
View attachment 328593
Wow. So looks like we have a longggggg time to wait until we find out. Kinda ridiculous that "recruitment" scholarships can go out after the decision deadline. Who are you recruiting if everyone has already accepted an offer of admission hahahaha
Hi! PennVet OOS first year here!
So they give out more than just recruitment scholarships.
I did not recieve a recruitment scholarship BUT I recieved a grant of a decent size in March and I submitted my decision either that month or February. There are multiple grants and scholarships you are elligible for, so only because you don't recieve a recruitment scholarship doesn't mean you are recieving $0 help from the school. I would say they offer more scholarships/grants than many other veterinary schools for first years.
I got accepted into my in-state school as well as CSU, but PennVet was (still is) my #1 and actually is cheaper for me at PennVet than if I would have went to CSU as an OOS since CSU does not offer first-year scholarships.
 
Hi! PennVet OOS first year here!
So they give out more than just recruitment scholarships.
I did not recieve a recruitment scholarship BUT I recieved a grant of a decent size in March and I submitted my decision either that month or February. There are multiple grants and scholarships you are elligible for, so only because you don't recieve a recruitment scholarship doesn't mean you are recieving $0 help from the school. I would say they offer more scholarships/grants than many other veterinary schools for first years.
I got accepted into my in-state school as well as CSU, but PennVet was (still is) my #1 and actually is cheaper for me at PennVet than if I would have went to CSU as an OOS since CSU does not offer first-year scholarships.
are the grants only given out after you commit to the school or will we know before we have to make a decision? and is it possible to receive both a recruitment scholarship and a grant? thanks so much!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad