URM's for Osteopathic Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOCalXtine

OMS
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am an AA female Im wondering what schools are urm friendly? For me its about making sure I am at a school that I won't feel uncomfortable at. I once interviewed for a biomedical science program in Iowa and It didn't have much diversity and I don't want to be one of three black students in a medical school class. I am also only interested in applying to DO schools since its late in this cycle. 3.22 SMP gpa with a mix of B,B+,and A's. My gpa will probably be a 3.3 in 2 weeks this trimester and 498 MCAT score.

Thanks !!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you should throw an AMCAS app out to Howard, Meharry, Morehouse and some state schools, and schools like Wayne State University and northeastern schools that recently struggled with finding a diverse class... I think there is a good chance you'll be successful with a thoughtful AMCAS app, especially if you could take an extra year to apply early next summer, or even retake the MCAT if there isn't much luck this year. I had an anatomy lecturer from Howard Uni at my school, and he was incredible and immensely supportive (easily the best of that week haha), you could feel good vibes radiating from him.

PCOM, Rowan, NYIT, Touro (Harlem) are probably a better fit than middle of the county schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, you won't find many black people in osteopathic school. My class literally only has one.

Reactions: 1 users
you should throw an AMCAS app out to Howard, Meharry, Morehouse and some state schools, and schools like Wayne State University and northeastern schools that recently struggled with finding a diverse class... I think there is a good chance you'll be successful with a thoughtful AMCAS app, especially if you could take an extra year to apply early next summer, or even retake the MCAT if there isn't much luck this year. I had an anatomy lecturer from Howard Uni at my school, and he was incredible and immensely supportive (easily the best of that week haha), you could feel good vibes radiating from him.

PCOM, Rowan, NYIT, Touro (Harlem) are probably a better fit than middle of the county schools.

Im thinking if I don't get in this year ill apply early and do HBU's. Touro Harlem didn't offer me a secondary but I will try NYIT.

Honestly, you won't find many black people in osteopathic school. My class literally only has one.

I wonder why its so low, ugh Im also afraid to apply to some schools like Pikesville even though its new I don't know if the class is that diverse. Also do you have any thoughts on new DO schools I'm thinking of apply to Burnell in New Mexico. So far I have applied PCOM-PA & GA, Western Lebanon, AT Still Arizona, Touro CA, WVSOM. Also thank you guys for being so helpful!

I wonder why its so low, ugh Im also afraid to apply to some schools like Pikesville even though its new I don't know if the class is that diverse. Also do you have any thoughts on new DO schools I'm thinking of apply to Burnell in New Mexico. So far I have applied PCOM-PA & GA, Western Lebanon, AT Still Arizona, Touro CA, WVSOM. Also thank you guys for being so helpful!
Honestly, osteopathic medicine is very unknown and the URM status of black Americans make it easier to get into an MD program.

No comment on those schools because I know next to nothing about them. I stopped learning about schools when I got accepted.

Western Lebanon is the whitest campus I've seen.

Hi I am an AA female Im wondering what schools are urm friendly? For me its about making sure I am at a school that I won't feel uncomfortable at. I once interviewed for a biomedical science program in Iowa and It didn't have much diversity and I don't want to be one of three black students in a medical school class. I am also only interested in applying to DO schools since its late in this cycle. 3.22 SMP gpa with a mix of B,B+,and A's. My gpa will probably be a 3.3 in 2 weeks this trimester and 498 MCAT score.

Thanks !!
Can't do anything about it unless you decide not to go to med school... You will be one of the TWO black students in med school--unless you go to one of the HBCU schools.

Thanks !!

I actually think your stats fall in line with most mid tier and lower tier DO schools, you also might want to try MD schools like Howard and Meharry.

Members don't see this ad :)
all schools are 50% white, 25% black, 25% other minority and 50/50 male/female
This is a joke right? Sorry sarcasm doesn't travel well through the electrons.

Thanks !!

I am a URM(AA). I interviewed at Pikeville and DO NOT recommend it!!! Lmu was fine but had a few racial incidents during my time there with the locals.

With your Mcat, apply broadly to mid/low tier MD and you'll be fine. Can't recommend Meharry though.....

Good luck

Keep GA-PCOM on your list. Off the top of my head there are at least 13 AA students in my class alone (plus there are other urm students, but I don't know how many total), and that's not counting the URM students in the 1st year DO program, the masters program, and the pharmacy program. We're a pretty diverse campus :)

Reactions: 2 users
I am a URM(AA). I interviewed at Pikeville and DO NOT recommend it!!! Lmu was fine but had a few racial incidents during my time there with the locals.

With your Mcat, apply broadly to mid/low tier MD and you'll be fine. Can't recommend Meharry though.....

Good luck
Just curious as to why?

Good luck

Im a little worried to apply MD isn't it too late in the cycle now? And thanks I'm def not going to bother to applying to either Pikesville or LMU, honestly its 2015 and I want to keep myself as far away from racial weirdness as possible. Also why didn't you like Merharry ?

Keep GA-PCOM on your list. Off the top of my head there are at least 13 AA students in my class alone (plus there are other urm students, but I don't know how many total), and that's not counting the URM students in the 1st year DO program, the masters program, and the pharmacy program. We're a pretty diverse campus :)

Im def applying PCOM GA Thank you for the suggestion!

Im a little worried to apply MD isn't it too late in the cycle now? And thanks I'm def not going to bother to applying to either Pikesville or LMU, honestly its 2015 and I want to keep myself as far away from racial weirdness as possible. Also why didn't you like Merharry ?
Is your application already verified? I think it's too late for MD.

Just apply next cycle. There's absolutely no rush and you don't want to settle on a school, another year off is going to feel amazing. Strengthen your application during your time off, prepare your application and letters of rec to be ready and hit send on June 1st, enjoy your acceptance then.

DO schools have few AAs because there's a limited pool that apply and they go to MD school usually... If I was OP, I'd still apply to MD or wait til next year and apply MD.

Last edited by a moderator:

The issue here is that many URMs that would have stats that mirror that of an average DO student would probably apply to an MD school, that is why you find few URMs at DO schools.