USC Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Instead of having a bunch of USC threads pop up for 2009 applicants, we can all post here :D

Anyone a re-applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Instead of having a bunch of USC threads pop up for 2009 applicants, we can all post here :D

Anyone a re-applicant?

I am definitely applying to that school this year, I love the location, the school and would like to sneak a peek at Farmercyst.:luck: I think it's a bit early/pretentious to call this thread USC 2013 class though. :)

I am definitely applying to that school this year, I love the location, the school and would like to sneak a peek at Farmercyst.:luck: I think it's a bit early/pretentious to call this thread USC 2013 class though. :)

We could change the title easy enough. Besides, it's better that each year have their own thread that goes all the way through the application process, from supplemental essay problems to figuring out the whole waitlist thing. Builds comraderie throughout the year. At least, that's my own personal opinion anyway.

I haven't decided how involved I'll be in this thread. I hope to do some of the interviews and it would be extremely awkward to interview one of you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually on the application issues part currently. How heavily is that portion looked at for inviting interviewees?:rolleyes: And in addition, to whoever completed that section, did you use almost all of the characters/spaces given? Because I was wondering if typing a 1000 out of 3000 characters will hurt my chances. Thanks!

I'm on the application issues section myself. Just need to finish the second essay and I'll be done with the supplemental. I wouldn't worry too much about the character length. It's always better to be concise than to stretch it out with repetitive BS.

I'm actually on the application issues part currently. How heavily is that portion looked at for inviting interviewees?:rolleyes: And in addition, to whoever completed that section, did you use almost all of the characters/spaces given? Because I was wondering if typing a 1000 out of 3000 characters will hurt my chances. Thanks!

So I went back to my statements and checked: 843 words in response to #1 and 340 words for #3. :):):):)
I honestly do not know if my interviewers read my essays or knew anything about me...
Good luck guys! Remember, the sooner you submit your applications - the better!!!

USC stands for the University of South Carolina?

Since I officially demoted UCSF from my dream school into a 'meh, I don't even want to go there' school, USC has now officially become my number one school.

hurray.gif

Thanks for the quick response, guys!:D

Hi, anybody there?

If you are now working on Part II of USC's supplemental application, would you please post those issue topics here? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

you've NEVER been even close to the USC campus have you? anyone who has ever been even close to it can't possibly think it's a good/safe location

Members don't see this ad :)
yes...another $85 supplemental app fee...*sigh*...hopefully I won't be on the waitlist applying this second time around again...it kinda sucks having to send in a new set of transcripts again and redoing PharmCAS

you've NEVER been even close to the USC campus have you? anyone who has ever been even close to it can't possibly think it's a good/safe location

haha south central LA...compares to my hood in East Oakland

It probably still beats living in SF. I have a love/hate relationship with it. After living here for years I can't wait to move somewhere else. I'm not really concerned about safety, because I live in "supposedly" one of the best/safest areas of the city, yet I've had a couple of scary encounters.

Does submitting all the required app/supp. app. parts consider it a complete file (w/o recommendations sent in yet)?

Or is it complete once LOR are in.

Since, I'm a reapplicant, will they know that they only need at least 1 more LOR from me instead of waiting for 3?

Does submitting all the required app/supp. app. parts consider it a complete file (w/o recommendations sent in yet)?

Since, I'm a reapplicant, will they know that they only need at least 1 more LOR from me instead of waiting for 3?

well i didn't actually put in anything for that part I of the application because if you look at the website USC admissions website...everything (LORs, Personal Statement) is received through pharmCAS except the supplemental essays, which would be in part II

well i didn't actually put in anything for that part I of the application because if you look at the website USC admissions website...everything (LORs, Personal Statement) is received through pharmCAS except the supplemental essays, which would be in part II

To be honest, USC doesn't really look at, and care much about what's on PharmCAS. They switched to the new online supplemental system (that is part of the Graduate School) last year and Jim Granderson said that they'll probably get rid of pharmcas altogether in the next few years. So DON'T skip any part of the application. :rolleyes:

This is what he told me at an information session when I asked him directly, "Why do we need to send in extra transcripts and LORs when you guys can see it through Pharmcas?"

I guess i'll be applying there this year. I was hesitant because I don't feel I have a good shot because my GPA isn't that high but the pharmacists I work with have brainwashed me to apply! Just kidding! Yes the health campus and main campus are in different locations, the area around USC isn't that bad come on! They have a beautiful rose garden across the street! How scary is a rose garden? :laugh:

Anyone have any idea when "Tier 1" (1st set of applications) is collected up to?

To my knowledge USC is on rolling admissions and doesn't use a tier system like UOP does, but I could be wrong...

I think they should know. I guess USC doesn't make us have our LOR evaluators fill out separate forms to be sent directly to their school this year, so they'll sort our LORs sent from PharmCAS and choose the new LOR from there.

yes...another $85 supplemental app fee...*sigh*...hopefully I won't be on the waitlist applying this second time around again...it kinda sucks having to send in a new set of transcripts again and redoing PharmCAS

I thought they said we only have to send in the transcripts (for recent classes taken in the spring or summer) that we didn't send them during the last application cycle?

I'm pretty sure new application = new set of transcripts whether or not you are on the wait list.

so USC doesn't require you to send recommendations directly to them this year? I ask because I still see the "recommendations" link when I log in to my graduate application.

Do I just leave that blank then?

hmm, it does looks like PHARMCAS only this year for LORs

From USC's site:

"Resumé and Recommendations

Your resumé and two letters of recommendation are required, at least one letter from a faculty member and the second from a person who can best describe your capabilities and fitness for a pharmacy education and career. Re-applicants only need to send in one new letter of recommendation. Letters of recommendation need to be submitted online with the PharmCAS Application. Your resumé can be loaded onto the Supplemental Application under "Employment/Resume". We do not have specific requriements about the the format or style."

I'm pretty sure new application = new set of transcripts whether or not you are on the wait list.

so USC doesn't require you to send recommendations directly to them this year? I ask because I still see the "recommendations" link when I log in to my graduate application.

Do I just leave that blank then?

I'm positive that I read the info regarding transcripts somewhere on the website. On the instructions, it says not to click on the "recommendations" link under the Part I application. Check the instructions very carefully because it seems somewhat confusing compare to other supplementals from other schools. Ok, I need to get back to working on my Part II application.

Am I incompetent or can you not copy/paste your "Issue essays" on the supplemental application?

hey guys, did you guys upload a personal statement under supporting documents? will it make my application stronger by writing one? thanks for the help

Ah, I'm having trouble chopping my essay for the first prompt to 2000 characters. Did they lower the number of characters for this application cycle? grrr...

Forget USC their supplemental is making me very angry! haha:mad:

I am trying to find someone interested in this position at Western U. If you live in the SoCal area espeically Pomona then give me a pm and I will tell you more about it.

IMO...This position can make you look a little different when applying to pharmD since you will have something different to say then the generic I work at .... CVS/Riteaid...or etc.

I would still work here but got accepted to USC.

4hrs/day, am or pm (depends on your schedule), 20hrs/week

For their first question, I feel as if I'm rewriting part of my personal statement again. Is anyone else experiencing this as well??..it seems as if I shouldn't...

can I submit part 1 of the application before I submit pharmcas? thanks

can I submit part 1 of the application before I submit pharmcas? thanks

I guess if Part 1 asks for your PharmCAS ID, then yes you will need to submit your PharmCAS first. I submitted my Part 1 last week and my PharmCAS a while ago, but I forgot if they asked for the ID or not. I know that you definitely need to submit PharmCAS first in order to submit your Part 2 (since they ask for one and it says so on the instruction).

I guess if Part 1 asks for your PharmCAS ID, then yes you will need to submit your PharmCAS first. I submitted my Part 1 last week and my PharmCAS a while ago, but I forgot if they asked for the ID or not. I know that you definitely need to submit PharmCAS first in order to submit your Part 2 (since they ask for one and it says so on the instruction).

thanks, is it Part 2 where you have to pay the supplement fee?

anyone mind posting the prompts to part 2? thanks so much for the help

i submitted my supplemental last week. *nervous* now i just have to wait...and hope....

i do have to agree with the really confusing supplemental application instructions. in the instructions they wrote that the application issues needed to be under 300 words or whatever space is allowed. it really confused me, so i called usc and the guy i spoke to also got really confused. he ended up telling me to keep it under 300 words...but i didn't. i just stuck to the character limits. hopefully i'm okay. :\

For their first question, I feel as if I'm rewriting part of my personal statement again. Is anyone else experiencing this as well??..it seems as if I shouldn't...

For the last 2 interview cycles the supplement essay is what they've given to the interviewers to preview before your interview. They don't get the PharmCAS PS (my guess is the adcom uses those, but who knows) either way, it'd be good to rock the supplemental PS for that reason if for no other.

Ah, I'm having trouble chopping my essay for the first prompt to 2000 characters. Did they lower the number of characters for this application cycle? grrr...

Are you reapplying from 2008? It used to be 3000 characters..

If you're reapplying , aren't you going to have to rewrite most of your essay as it says to focus on the new things that you have accomplished since 2008?
I haven't done much more since graduating... so I'm kinda stuck.

Are you reapplying from 2008? It used to be 3000 characters..

If you're reapplying , aren't you going to have to rewrite most of your essay as it says to focus on the new things that you have accomplished since 2008?
I haven't done much more since graduating... so I'm kinda stuck.

Most of the stuff I wrote is the same from last years, but then I added one new thing I have accomplished. I haven't really done much....besides the fact that I am continuing to take more classes after graduation and that I was a member of an organization and took part in the mentoring during my senior year that I didn't mention in the last application cycle. :confused:

Most of the stuff I wrote is the same from last years, but then I added one new thing I have accomplished. I haven't really done much....besides the fact that I am continuing to take more classes after graduation and that I was a member of an organization and took part in the mentoring during my senior year that I didn't mention in the last application cycle. :confused:

I was under the impression that since they hold our essays/app from 2008, we should make a completely new essay for part #1 with just our new accomplishments??

:scared::scared: