USC Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for the top 100 drugs, should we just start memorizing from the quicklist they sent us in the mail? It only lists generic + brand names (no dosage/main use).

I guess it would be good to memorize the top 100 drug names first before going into more details.

Since it's fill in, we don't need to actually recite the drugs in order I assume :confused:

I don't think they want us to memorize what order they're in. What would be the point in doing that? They just gave us the list so we can look up the other information ourselves. I organized mine into drug class - it's easier that way.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they want us to memorize what order they're in. What would be the point in doing that? They just gave us the list so we can look up the other information ourselves. I organized mine into drug class - it's easier that way.

Last edited:
Well everyone has their own method for studying the drug list... I think they want us to memorize the brand name and generic name.. You need to know that brand name = zocor and generic name =Simvastatin. They want you to memorize the brand and generic name together, you would be tested on it. So familiarize yourself with it. I think that is the difficult part because those words are not english words, they are chemical names or non-english names...

So it would be good if you know the generic and brand name of each drug before school starts.. Then when school starts they would give us the cards and we could easily fill in the other informations... like dose, drug class... those would be the easy part... recalling the brand and generic name would be the demanding part....

Cant wait to meet everyone........ Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost all of it is easier if you are working/dispensing the drugs. Then you'll get practical application. Vicodin 5-500 is dispensed nearly every day at our pharmacy, as is Norco 5-325 and 10-325. I'll let you figure out what the generics are ;). Nonetheless, I would start out with names and then classes. Doses tend to be the hardest for me, but they are pseudo multiple choice anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you in the 2013 class... congrats!!!

I'm finishing a Master's program there and need someone to take over my apartment. I have 3 months left on my lease but if I can fill the vacancy management will release me from it.

It's a spacious studio in Koreatown with hardwood floors and an exposed brick wall and it's pet friendly!!

It's less than a 10 minute walk from the Metro Red Line which will take you to Union Station from which you can take a FREE tram to the USC Health Science Campus. This means you don't have to deal with the absurd prices for parking at USC!!

Or if you do want to drive it's about ~20 minutes with bad traffic or ~10 with no traffic.

Check out my craigslist posting or PM me for more details :)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...268074438.html

For those of you who have a higher ranked waitlist position (and are still on the waitlist), I'd cross my fingers. Xin just e-mailed me this afternoon saying congratulations and to wait for a 9x13 envelope.

For those of you who have a higher ranked waitlist position (and are still on the waitlist), I'd cross my fingers. Xin just e-mailed me this afternoon saying congratulations and to wait for a 9x13 envelope.

Congrats on USC!! You must be very excited. I am applying this year. Did u take any science classes at CC??

Thanks NSAID01! And yes. I took speech and retook calculus at a community college last summer.

Congratulations!! :)

Do you guys get the e-mail issuing a parking permit? I didn't get an e-mail, but when I went to check my parking account it said I was issued a permit.

for the top 100 drugs, should we just start memorizing from the quicklist they sent us in the mail? It only lists generic + brand names (no dosage/main use).

I guess it would be good to memorize the top 100 drug names first before going into more details.

Since it's fill in, we don't need to actually recite the drugs in order I assume :confused:

LoL. No, you don't have to do it in order. I think you would be fine just being able to recognize brand/generic during the summer. Further details when you actually start. What I've heard about the test is that you will be tested on half the list at a time and need to know the strengths (low/high) and the drug class. This information would be easier to learn once you got passed name recognition, which is probably why they ask you to study them now. GL! Must be exciting to start so soon. I have 2 months. <sigh>

has anyone already started looking for a place to live? any suggestions of where to look? so far, I've only looked at craigslist and the USC housing goggle group. also if anyone has already found a place and is looking for roomates, please send me a pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone already started looking for a place to live? any suggestions of where to look? so far, I've only looked at craigslist and the USC housing goggle group. also if anyone has already found a place and is looking for roomates, please send me a pm.

Alhambra/Monterey Park are probably least expensive options in somewhat decent neighborhoods. Pasadena is pretty pricey. I've got classmates in Glendale, Burbank, Arcadia, Santa Monica, and OC. Trade off is usually quality vs commute. There are some pretty nice places in Alhambra where I live, but mostly on the East side of town. I normally take Mission Road from Alhambra into East LA and hit Valley into campus. It's about 6.5 miles and I can make it in about 15 minutes.

When I was looking for places, I actually found my place by driving out to Alhambra, finding an area that looked decent and then walked down the street calling the numbers on the for rent signs. I found the place I'm at because a property manager mentioned this place while I was touring one of his other rentals. I'm paying $1550 for a 3 BR 1.5 Bath.

I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but hopefully it's helpful.

I found a condo complex, newly renovated in Monterey hills . 8 min from campus. interior is nice and area is not too bad. I have my landlord's number if you want to take a look.

hi everybody, i just got in! anybody looking for a roommate? please pm me! i a need place

Is the area surrounding the school, specifically Lincoln Heights, super ghetto? Will I get robbed during daylight walking around or outside the school? I found a place close to school and it's gated, just wondering how ghetto the surrounding area is.

Anyone studying the Drug lists?

I'm really hesitant to start because I just want to fully enjoy my summer w/o any work...

but then I feel really guilty. :(

This area is not that bad but there are some rough spots. I would recommend driving around at 10pm on a weekend night just to make sure it is a safe area.

We live in a gated area on a hill (near El Serrano/Huntington) and I haven't had to join a gang yet. Usually the best bang for you buck is Monterrey Hills. The buildings are nice and the area is safe. There are a lot of places to walk your animals as well.

why doesn't USC follow the rank system when pulling off from the waitlist? I really don't understand what's going on. is it because of money? I DID have to fax my tax forms in... and my parent's. do they use that as a way to see how much dough your family's got? I've already done everything I can. transcripts, letter of intent, even more recs, I also added another volunteering position this year.

my roomie got into grad school by emailing admissions and saying that her parents are confident that they can afford tuition + etc. then the next day, she got an email saying congrats you've been accepted blah blah. the NEXT DAY. I remember she emailed them thursday night. and fri afternoon when we were home, she came screaming out of her room with the good news. she was on waitlist and really bummed out b/c she said the admissions office said that it was "unlikely" that she would get in this year because of so many people ahead of her. if she didn't get in this year, she would be reapplying this year. I know that this was grad school, but other schools might be doing the same... ?

it really makes no sense to me. they said that your rank depends on your gpa, application, interview, writing sample, etc etc. so what's going on here? I've tried so hard to get where I am right now. I'd be taking out loans anyways, so wouldn't USC still be getting the money? or are they afraid that I won't be able to stick it out for 4 years? I went through undergrad by working a lot, cal grants, and loans. so what if my parents couldn't support me. they've got enought problems of their own.

I'm getting kicked out of my sd apartment next week. my home home is in the bay area. this drives me crazy.

what number are you? I believe many schools have a rank system only as a guide. Upon figuring out there is a seat to give out, these schools re-evaluate everyone and use the ranking system as a starting point. The guy #1 spot below and above you may have a very similar GPA, so in the end, many other factors come into play.

I highly doubt coming from a high income family makes any difference unless your parents donated tons of money to the school (very few people probably even do this).

Worst case, you will need to reapply like I did. What drove me crazier than your situation was when UCSD put me on the waitlist. They don't even give you a number nor any updates unless you are one of the lucky ones to be pulled from the list. I never heard from them ever again since 2008 about that waitlist position. UCSF, on the other hand, follows their ranking system as an absolute list for order of acceptance.

why doesn't USC follow the rank system when pulling off from the waitlist? I really don't understand what's going on. is it because of money? I DID have to fax my tax forms in... and my parent's. do they use that as a way to see how much dough your family's got? I've already done everything I can. transcripts, letter of intent, even more recs, I also added another volunteering position this year.

my roomie got into grad school by emailing admissions and saying that her parents are confident that they can afford tuition + etc. then the next day, she got an email saying congrats you've been accepted blah blah. the NEXT DAY. I remember she emailed them thursday night. and fri afternoon when we were home, she came screaming out of her room with the good news. she was on waitlist and really bummed out b/c she said the admissions office said that it was "unlikely" that she would get in this year because of so many people ahead of her. if she didn't get in this year, she would be reapplying this year. I know that this was grad school, but other schools might be doing the same... ?

it really makes no sense to me. they said that your rank depends on your gpa, application, interview, writing sample, etc etc. so what's going on here? I've tried so hard to get where I am right now. I'd be taking out loans anyways, so wouldn't USC still be getting the money? or are they afraid that I won't be able to stick it out for 4 years? I went through undergrad by working a lot, cal grants, and loans. so what if my parents couldn't support me. they've got enought problems of their own.

wow is this guy serious...

yes I am serious. would I be lying?

GPA for all applicants changes as new transcripts are received so the waitlist numbers you initially receive are subject to change as winter quarter, spring quarter, spring semester, and summer 1 grades are received (All of these would come in after the last PharmCAS update). Not to mention any other updates in other categories (ECs, certifications, etc) are received.
The income numbers are for your financial aid. Even if you aren't accepted until August they still need to have everything ready for you because getting all the paperwork done can't be started and finished in 2 weeks. Heck, I still don't have my financial aid info and they've had my stuff for 2 1/2 months already.

I've pmed the ppl that got in off the waitlist to ask what their gpa was/what they submitted. my gpa is higher than theirs and I sent in more stuff (additional recs + intent letter). plus my rank was higher... still make no sense.

I've pmed the ppl that got in off the waitlist to ask what their gpa was/what they submitted. my gpa is higher than theirs and I sent in more stuff (additional recs + intent letter). plus my rank was higher... still make no sense.

I got pulled off the waitlist and I was #18. I know for a fact my parents' income had nothing to do with their decision. I didn't list their income at all on the financial aid papers. I think sending them a letter about two of my research publications might have given me a boost. So, like everyone else has been saying, there are many different factors that will affect their decision and I don't think money is one of them.

I know you are upset about the waitlist, but USC does not just accept people if their parents make a lot of money, unless they donate a lot of it! Then it could possibly get you in ;) Even though the other people you pmed have lower stats than you, maybe they interviewed better. I heard the interview accounts for 50% in the acceptance process. Plus every school gives different weights to your application, like UCSD really cares about GPA, and UCSF wants very well rounded candidates, etc. You based your judgement only part of the application process, and since you don't know who interviewed better or who had better essays, then you can't objectively decide that you were the better candidate. Like others said, i didn't give them my parents info and I still got in. By the way, what number on the waitlist were you assigned?

I know you are upset about the waitlist, but USC does not just accept people if their parents make a lot of money, unless they donate a lot of it! Then it could possibly get you in ;) Even though the other people you pmed have lower stats than you, maybe they interviewed better. I heard the interview accounts for 50% in the acceptance process. Plus every school gives different weights to your application, like UCSD really cares about GPA, and UCSF wants very well rounded candidates, etc. You based your judgement only part of the application process, and since you don't know who interviewed better or who had better essays, then you can't objectively decide that you were the better candidate. Like others said, i didn't give them my parents info and I still got in. By the way, what number on the waitlist were you assigned?

Well said

Last edited:
Well said!!!!!!!!! That was the same thing I wanted to tell the person!!!!! They are acting like, they are entitled to get in!!!!!! Its a privilegde gettin in and no one should act like they should get in before others no matter, what their stats are, cus each individual is different!!!

lol lots of emotion behind your posts haha

Anyone has Kaiser Permanente insurance that is trying to waive their school insurance? I asked Kaiser for a proof of my insurance and the details of my policy to show to the school, but all they sent me was a booklet titled "Kaiser Permanente Traditional Plan Evidence of Coverage for Kaiser Permanete Union" It sure sounds good. BUT, inside the 50 page booklet there is only some general informations and some definitions. My name and a case number is on the last page, but I don't know what to make of it. This booklet looks nowhere like the proofs the school wants. Did anyone else got this booklet when they request proofs from kaiser or did they give u something else?

HI i have a question about the loan.

I borrowed both stafford(sub/unsub) and GradPLUS with ALLSTUDENTLOAN, thinking that pharmacy health profession student loan was the GradPLUS loan. It turns out that they are different, and i was wondering how i can apply for the pharmacy helath profession student loan. Also, I wish to borrow the loan as little as possible, so i was thinking if it's wise for me to cancel the gradPLUS loan and just borrow stafford and pHarmacy health student loan only.

they give me $33,000 for stafford
$12,000 for the pharm pro. student loan
and about $7,000 for gradPLUS, so the total is about $52,000 :eek:

I live with my parents in Pasadena, and want to work asap. If i were to borrow only stafford and pharm pro. loan, i will only have about $2,000 per semester to live on, and i was wondering if it's ok for me to live(or survive)?

thanks!

I borrowed both stafford(sub/unsub) and GradPLUS with ALLSTUDENTLOAN, thinking that pharmacy health profession student loan was the GradPLUS loan. It turns out that they are different, and i was wondering how i can apply for the pharmacy helath profession student loan. Also, I wish to borrow the loan as little as possible, so i was thinking if it's wise for me to cancel the gradPLUS loan and just borrow stafford and pHarmacy health student loan only.

I live with my parents in Pasadena, and want to work asap. If i were to borrow only stafford and pharm pro. loan, i will only have about $2,000 per semester to live on, and i was wondering if it's ok for me to live(or survive)?

thanks!

HPSLP (Health professions....) is only available to those who qualified for it and were notified by Fin Aid office. If you've been notified that you qualify then I would change your GradPlus loan docs accordingly and take out the amounts stated.
As for living on 4000/semester, it'd be more like 8-9 for the year or call it 700/month (an important difference as you won't get a disbursement over the summer and therefore will have to make your spring disbursement last longer than the Fall one. And as for living/surviving on it, it really depends on what your other expenses are. It also depends on whether or not you plan on getting a job to supplement it. Living with your parents I would assume means no rent. Are they paying car insurance, cell phone, and other possible necessities/luxuries? If you have 700/mo and no other financial obligations, then you can live pretty well on it if you manage it right.

thanks!

What is the pharm pro. student loan? I only qualified for stafford and grad plus. Also note that you only qualify for health profession loan if you submitted your parents info back in april, and they can't make a lot of money. I heard it was like under 60K for 5 ppl or something ridiculous like that. Does the pharm pro have a good rate? The grad plus is 8.5% unsubsidized! Also does anyone know if you get paid for working in the hospital as a P1. I know you don't get paid for the hours scheduled within USC's program (slave labour), but do you get paid for any hours you work on your own time in community or hospital?

Thank you -0-- Farmercyst for your advice! really appreciate it!

I decided not to borrow the gradPLUS loan, so i just cancelled it yesterday.
btw, the rate for Pharmacy profession loan is 5%, and i had to sign the separate mpn for this loan as well. I probably got this loan 'coz i turned in my parent's info, and we are low-income family...

wurang, where did you go to sign the MPN for the pharm professional loan? I couldn't find it on the site they told me to go, where it says to wait for it to be received by email

wurang, where did you go to sign the MPN for the pharm professional loan? I couldn't find it on the site they told me to go, where it says to wait for it to be received by email

hi, go to https://www.ecsi.net/prom3K/

then click the link begin the electronic signature process

then you will be able to put your name and ssn and all the info and so on.

OR

they will email you about the MPN for the Pharm pro. loan. and the instruction (for me it was 2days ago) if you are qualified for this loan, so i guess you can just wait for the email from usc.

good luck!

Last edited:
One of my friend who got in Northstate told me they are required to wear professional attire at the school even during class time. Which made me wonder if USC has any sort of dress code?

One of my friend who got in Northstate told me they are required to wear professional attire at the school even during class time. Which made me wonder if USC has any sort of dress code?

That would suck. I think they would have told us this before summer so we can do some shopping....if that was the case.

yes, there is a dress code, but it is not enforced from what I hear

I would have also thought that the school would mention a dress code to us over the summer. So we can buy any needed attire. Does this mean no jeans or tennis shoes? :confused: