USC Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
57 is not that bad of a number!!!!!!! But the thing is about space!!!!!!!! The class should be currently filled now!!! Cus they took pple in the waitlist position of # 30!!! So u can only get in if more pple turn down their offer!!!!!! You can get accepted on the first day of class!!!!!!!!! schools do this all the time!!!!!! Pple withdraw and stuff!!!!!!! You wud get financial aid at anytime!!!!!!! Just turn in all the forms they neede!!!!!!!! Money is not a problem!!!

What u should worry about is getting in!!!!!!!!!! But you can start ur application early for next year!!!!!!!! Just in case!!!!!!Apply early, get in early!!!!!!!!!! Goodluck!!!!!!!!!

A little too excited there Vultron. Waaay too many !!!!!'s;)
And as for the waitlist number, 57's not bad as long as your application is moving in the right direction. #30 may not have been the 30th applicant to be considered post-waitlist. Make sure you're getting your transcripts in as soon as they're available (especially if a GPA increase is involved.)

Members don't see this ad.

When do we need to start buying parking permits?

Where do you guys plan on living?

When do we need to start buying parking permits?

Where do you guys plan on living?

Parking opened for us on the 13th. usc.edu/transnet
I'm not sure when it opens for you, but I said it last year, and it's worth repeating, even if it's not open for you yet, go ahead and register, put your car info in now, that way all you have to do is go in and purchase when it is open for you. If it's already open, sooner=better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha..I'm wearing a UCSB soccer shirt right now... There are weekly basketball games, but currently no soccer. Considering there are ~800 students in the school, I believe we could find a few more interested in a weekly soccer pick-up game next year.. congrats on the acceptance!..btw theres a soccer field across from campus- and a baseball field..basketball courts..its a park u know

i also went to UCSB (class of 07!). Gauchos won the national championship(FUT-BALL) in my senior year and i went to every single home games!!!!!!!!!!:)

Now i'm going to USC this fall, i'll cheer for Trojan football! yes!

For all those who were accepted into USC this fall AND are going to live in the San Gabriel/Alhambra/Arcadia area : Anyone interested in sharing a carpool permit? Its a lot cheaper, and you spare the environment!

Please message me if you are interested. Live long and prosper V/

I'm not sure when it opens for you, but I said it last year, and it's worth repeating, even if it's not open for you yet, go ahead and register, put your car info in now, that way all you have to do is go in and purchase when it is open for you. If it's already open, sooner=better.

I was about to join the waitlist.

Would you recommend Lot 71 if I were to commute from nearby

Anyone know when we will get a list of required books for Fall 2009? I want to get a head start so I don't have to look for them during orientation/welcome week.

Here's a question: Is a laptop required for classes?

I have a laptop but it's a desktop replacement so I'd rather not bring it to class.

I'm also not accustomed to taking notes on laptops. (I prefer the old fashion pen/notebook :) )

This might be a stupid question but what's the difference between the Lottery for the Parking Permit and just purchasing an Academic Permit?

I also filled out the GradCertification form online and my AY application still looks the same from when I first submitted my application. I thought it would only take 24 hours for my status to change? I've already sent in my deposit to admissions.

I also filled out the GradCertification form online and my AY application still looks the same from when I first submitted my application. I thought it would only take 24 hours for my status to change? I've already sent in my deposit to admissions.

What is the GradCertification and an AY app?

The grad certification form was in the usc graduate welcome packet (in the back). did everyone who's enrolled for this fall send in the grad certification form? I didn't send in mine because I thought it was the same as the one we sent in with our deposit. I tried calling admissions but theyre out until next tuesday

Here's a question: Is a laptop required for classes?

I have a laptop but it's a desktop replacement so I'd rather not bring it to class.

I'm also not accustomed to taking notes on laptops. (I prefer the old fashion pen/notebook :) )

Laptops are absolutely NOT required. In fact, I purchased a laptop before starting school and it was not necessary. On campus the computers in the pharmacy building computer lab are fast and sufficient. If it's closed there are new computers in Norris Medical Library which are accessible until midnight every day of the week.

If you have a computer already and want something more portable to take notes/screw around online in class, then get a netbook for $300. Otherwise, don't worry much about getting a new computer. Save the money. The ones on campus are good enough (most everything you access will be online/gmail anyways).

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a stupid question but what's the difference between the Lottery for the Parking Permit and just purchasing an Academic Permit?

Current students go thru the lottery system too...It's something new that Transportation implemented.

The grad certification form was in the usc graduate welcome packet (in the back). did everyone who's enrolled for this fall send in the grad certification form? I didn't send in mine because I thought it was the same as the one we sent in with our deposit. I tried calling admissions but theyre out until next tuesday

hmm. I just sent in a deposit form, 2 background check waivers, and looked over the health requirements. I was accepted last week, and that's all that came in my packet.

Should I call them to see what's going on or wait until I receive another packet in the mail.

hmm. I just sent in a deposit form, 2 background check waivers, and looked over the health requirements. I was accepted last week, and that's all that came in my packet.

Should I call them to see what's going on or wait until I receive another packet in the mail.

Yeah I did the same thing and sent in those 3 things. Can someone explain a little more what the Grad Certification and AY app is?

I was about to join the waitlist.

Would you recommend Lot 71 if I were to commute from nearby

I prefer 71 to SSP, but I bought SSP last year because it's closer to the campus pharmacy that I work at. It's not that bad.

I'm seeing if I can do without for 3rd year since parking on Valley is free, but you can't park on the North side before 9am (when our class starts) and have to be gone by 4pm on the south side (not too long after class ends). Worst case, I'll end up with an SSP sticker again.

Yeah I did the same thing and sent in those 3 things. Can someone explain a little more what the Grad Certification and AY app is?

You should be getting another packet in the mail. It's a booklet with general info stuff and there's another form that they have you fill - the Grad Certification. It's not from the School of Pharmacy - it's from Graduate Admissions. You can complete the fGrad Certification through an online form or you can mail it in. AY application = apply yourself application - the online service we used to submit our application.

you should be getting another packet in the mail. It's a booklet with general info stuff and there's another form that they have you fill - the grad certification. It's not from the school of pharmacy - it's from graduate admissions. You can complete the fgrad certification through an online form or you can mail it in. Ay application = apply yourself application - the online service we used to submit our application.

thanks! :)

I have a question. Those who got accepted, did you have any pharmacy experience? I have a pharmacy tech certification but nobody will hire me right now. The only thing I'm doing right now is going to school and volunteering at hospital and redcross.

Experience really matters at USC!!!!!!!!!!. Since they do not require the PCAT!!!!!!!!! They can not judge you by your GPA and Interview alone!!!!!!!!!! They look at your work experience!!!!!!!! Thats why we had to submit our resume or curricular vitae!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of the only scholos that ask for that!!!!!! Its difficult to get in without experience, becos they would think you do not know what you are getting into!!!! it could affect their perception of you during the interview, which is key in getting admissions!!!!!!!!!!!!! It probably might hurt your score!!!!! lack of experience is never a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now you are on the right track!!!!!!! Keep working at the hospital and redcross!!!!!!!!!!! Get as many hours as you can. The more hours the better!!!!!!!! Work at the pharmacy too!!!!!!!! During my interview, thats what they wanted to hear about!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pharmacy experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you mean no one would hire you!!!!!!!!!! you can always volunteer!!!!!!!! Pharmacies are always looking for help and employees!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!! They fill about 4 billion prescriptions a year!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to get things going, i am assuming you are applying this fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a

Last edited:
I have a question. Those who got accepted, did you have any pharmacy experience? I have a pharmacy tech certification but nobody will hire me right now. The only thing I'm doing right now is going to school and volunteering at hospital and redcross.

I got in with no behind the counter experience. If you can articulate that you have a good idea of the positive and negative aspects of pharmacy and show that you've done more than supericial (I'm in it for the money) research then you'd probably be okay even if you haven't worked in a pharmacy. I had taken a medicinal chem elective in undergrad and had taken pharmacy technician classes in CC so I had some background knowledge. I had also done research into what was available, what suited me, how to get into that area of pharmacy, etc. Things that showed I wasn't just looking for a doctorate and a paycheck in the end. (rest assured we still take those that are only in it for the money, but they tend to be the least happy with it in the end.)

Are you an incoming P1? Your statement was kinda off to be honest.

USC is one of the few schools that doesn't REQUIRE experience. I'm a current student and I'm pretty familiar with what interviewers look for in a viable candidate. We like to hear about your work/volunteer experience but experience in a pharmacy isn't mandatory or necessary to gain admission. We have admitted students who never stepped inside a pharmacy.

Please refrain from using so much exclamation marks, its kinda annoying.
thanks!

my statement was not off

Last edited:
I got in with no behind the counter experience. If you can articulate that you have a good idea of the positive and negative aspects of pharmacy and show that you've done more than supericial (I'm in it for the money) research then you'd probably be okay even if you haven't worked in a pharmacy. I had taken a medicinal chem elective in undergrad and had taken pharmacy technician classes in CC so I had some background knowledge. I had also done research into what was available, what suited me, how to get into that area of pharmacy, etc. Things that showed I wasn't just looking for a doctorate and a paycheck in the end. (rest assured we still take those that are only in it for the money, but they tend to be the least happy with it in the end.)

hey Famercyst!i know you should be P3 by this fall!

Last edited:
Even if you read my statement

Last edited:
hey Famercyst!!!!!!! i know you should be P3 by this fall!!!!!!!!! So you definitely know more about pharmacy school than me!!!!!!! But you should know that experience adds more to ur application and does not take anything away!!!!!!!! I felt if you do not have experience in this competitive applications!!!!!!!!! you are less likely to get in!!!!!!!!!! I did not say you would not get in!!!!!!!!! 87% of med students have done research or work at a hospital!!!!!!! Pharmacy is also becoming that competitive!!!!!!! Also if you look at the essays, they tell you to write during applications, most of it is tell me what led you towards a career in pharmacy!!!!!!!! How are you going to be genuine on that essay, if you have never had experience in pharmacy!!!!!!!!! how are you gonna know wat the job is like and wat you are likely to expect!!!!!!!!!!! Experience is key in my opnion!!!!!! some pple would back me up!!!!!!!!!!

I think the point of the person's post was to identify those that got in without experience since he/she is finding it difficult to get any. I agree having experience will be better than not, both in the application process and the learning process once you are in. If you can't get any (which will be more common as chains start to cut down on personnel) then you have to make up for it elsewhere. That was my point.

I think the point of the person's post was to identify those that got in without experience since he/she is finding it difficult to get any. I agree having experience will be better than not, both in the application process and the learning process once you are in. If you can't get any (which will be more common as chains start to cut down on personnel) then you have to make up for it elsewhere. That was my point.

I see your point..

Last edited:

By the way

Last edited:
I have gone to every pharmacy you can think of, literally begging them to hire me or just hire me as an intern, I don't care if they don't pay me. They all said no because of liability issues. And they wont hire me because I have no experience and some of them are on a hiring freeze right now (Giants, Safeway, Target, CVS) etc.

I have gone to every pharmacy you can think of, literally begging them to hire me or just hire me as an intern, I don't care if they don't pay me. They all said no because of liability issues. And they wont hire me because I have no experience and some of them are on a hiring freeze right now (Giants, Safeway, Target, CVS) etc.

have you tried hospital pharmacy

Last edited:
have you tried hospital pharmacy.. do you know any pharmacist you could shadow..

Yep, I've called all the hospitals in my area, they are all looking for pharmacy students. I don't know of any pharmacist I can shadow. That's what I'm trying to tell you, they won't even let me shadow because of liability issues.

Another spot will be available at USC. I will decline my offer. Good luck to everyone. And have a great summer! :luck:

Don't stress too much!

I got into USC with very minimal pharmacy "experience." - if you could call it that.

I did a short 1-1.5 week job shadow on a clinical pharmacist. I literally just observed the pharmacist for about 3-4 hours each day...nothing hands on. (At that time, I wasn't even settled on pharmacy as a profession. I was also looking at other hospital professions: Physical therapist, doctor, etc)

I was also a member of a pharmacy club at my school. Although I wasn't really an active member, I said I was :)

But yeah, I know for a fact extensive pharmacy experience isn't required. (I...and a couple other SDNers...are the proof).

For the interviews, to make up for my lack of pharmacy experience, I did do some research online.

Where do most commuter USC students live? Burbank, Alhambra, Glendale, West Hollywood, Los Feliz?? I have a friend who lives in Bev Hills and her neighbors are moving out, so I was thinking about living in that complex, except she told me the traffic is horrible getting to HSC from her place. Can anyone recommend safe areas?

I didn't have a lot of pharmacy experience either. When I interviewed in November, I had only been working as a pharmacy clerk for 4 months. My other activities included working as a lab assistant, doing research, and i shadowed a clinical pharmacist.

Another spot will be available at USC. I will decline my offer. Good luck to everyone. And have a great summer! :luck:

Where are you heading to, when you decline USC

Last edited:
Even if you read my statement!!!!!!!! I never said experience was mandatory!!!!!!!! I said it was key to your applications!!!!!!!!!!! The essays, interviews revolves around a career in pharmacy!!!!!!! How are you gonna know what your talking about if you have no experience!!!!!!!! R u just gonna go on the internet and reads some else's story and get a feel for the job!!!!!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

i got an email awhile ago about reserving a spot for USC grad orientation, I already know my mandatory orientation dates for USC pharm school, do i have to sign up for that orientation?

Are you an incoming P1? Your statement was kinda off to be honest.

USC is one of the few schools that doesn't REQUIRE experience. I'm a current student and I'm pretty familiar with what interviewers look for in a viable candidate. We like to hear about your work/volunteer experience but experience in a pharmacy isn't mandatory or necessary to gain admission. We have admitted students who never stepped inside a pharmacy.

Please refrain from using so much exclamation marks, its kinda annoying.
thanks!

kinda agree, i got in with absolutely no pharmacy experience, i was kinda surprised tbh.

Yep, I've called all the hospitals in my area, they are all looking for pharmacy students. I don't know of any pharmacist I can shadow. That's what I'm trying to tell you, they won't even let me shadow because of liability issues.

Based on posts from when I was applying that seems to be common among hospital pharmacies. Even if you sign up as a hospital volunteer you won't have tremendous access to the pharmacy, though some do get more exposure there than others. It may be worth a try.

i got an email awhile ago about reserving a spot for USC grad orientation, I already know my mandatory orientation dates for USC pharm school, do i have to sign up for that orientation?

I honestly don't remember anymore. I remember having to return the form with coat size and a few other things they needed, but I can't remember if I had to "sign up" for the mandatory orientation.

My friends who got in didn't have any pharmacy experience whatsoever. I myself only had about 6 months of experience volunteering. If you don't care about getting paid and only care about getting the experience, then go to the independent-owned neighborhood pharmacy stores. That's where I volunteered. They are always willing to take volunteers. You may not get to do pharmacy technician type stuff but being in the environment will still help you learn a lot.

Even so, 6 months for me wasn't a lot and I didn't have much time to talk to the pharmacist. I did a lot of researching online about the career and read pharmacy magazines. I also spoke to my mentors about their opinions on current issues in pharmacy and its future prospects.

On another note, I'm thinking about living near Beverly Hills as well. I know this is going to be insane taking the 10 fwy. in the morning though so I haven't finalized anything. Does anyone have any other suggestions about other locations? Do USC students rarely live in West LA?

When do we receive financial aid information. Do we need to pursue the federal loans ourselves or can I go into the fao to talk to the fin aid ppl

When do we receive financial aid information. Do we need to pursue the federal loans ourselves or can I go into the fao to talk to the fin aid ppl

You'll need to pursue them yourself. There's info on the fao website though. I think I posted a link 1 or 2 pages back. That might be the easiest way to find it. You can definitely talk to fao if you have any ?'s or problems.

This is some interesting information I found on the updated PHARMCAS School Directory Pages:

Estimated number interviewed for fall 2009 Entering Class: 420 • Estimated number accepted: 325

Please tell me this is a bunch of BS!

This is some interesting information I found on the updated PHARMCAS School Directory Pages:

Estimated number interviewed for fall 2009 Entering Class: 420 • Estimated number accepted: 325

Please tell me this is a bunch of BS!

maybe not all of the 325 decide to attend?