Usn Accepted Announcements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone tell me where extra-curriculars will come up during the application process?? Do you list it on the actual application? Does it come up during the interview? These might be obvious questions but I just want to make sure. Thanks. bye.

Members don't see this ad.

wel i hav no pharmacy experience and they didnt ask me abt any of my extra curricukular activities,

evevn when i provided info abt my industrial pharamcy intern hey didnt see it so shudnt be a prob

Didn't you say that you have no pharm experience, but isn't an internship counted as pharmacy experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
wel i hav no pharmacy experience and they didnt ask me abt any of my extra curricukular activities,

evevn when i provided info abt my industrial pharamcy intern hey didnt see it so shudnt be a prob

This depends on who you interview with. Some interviewers consider your EC's as a VERY important part of your application:D

Others focus on situational questions/ scenarios. Like anything you are applying for that requires interviews...it depends on who you interview with. That is why USN usually has a panel of three.

There is a section of the application where you can list all your EC's and volunteer work. None of this information has any weight on actually getting you an interview, but serves as info for the interview panel to draw upon when asking you questions.

During my interview I was asked a few questions that either were directly about my EC's or somehow involved them in a scenario type question. I was also asked some questions about leadership, so if you have any or could get some leadership experience it would probably help when it came to these types of questions.

I've talked to others who were interviewed and their EC's hardly came up at all, so I think it's like Smilescali said and it's all up to the individuals on your interview panel.

Nobody asked me about ECs per se, but my interviewer was big on volunteer work and leadership.

Does anyone know the detail on how the point system works for USN? Like do they look at over gpa first or prereqs? How many points do u get for bachelor degree, etc etc. Thanks

Does anyone know the detail on how the point system works for USN? Like do they look at over gpa first or prereqs? How many points do u get for bachelor degree, etc etc. Thanks

28 for overall GPA; 28 for prereq GPA; 40 for interview. I believe the other 4 points are for if you have a bachelors, masters, or doctorate.

28 for overall GPA; 28 for prereq GPA; 40 for interview. I believe the other 4 points are for if you have a bachelors, masters, or doctorate.

Thanks for the quick response. Woah.. i didnt know a bachelors would have such a big impact. Anyways, anyone have any updates or news on the acceptance calls?

Thanks for the quick response. Woah.. i didnt know a bachelors would have such a big impact. Anyways, anyone have any updates or news on the acceptance calls?

I'm not sure exactly about the breakdown of those 4 points. I think I've heard somewhere that you get 2 points for bachelors and then one extra if you have masters and another extra if you have doctorate.

I've heard that the seats are full at the henderson campus, but they are still accepting for south jordan. I haven't heard of anyone getting an actual rejection letter yet, so I would think they are still making acceptance calls.

2006 Application Statistics: 1472 applications received; 194 students admitted (142 Nevada Campus and 52 Utah Campus); Overall GPA of admitted students was 3.7.

From USN's website.

Does school ranking or the prestige of the school you attended matter? I am assuming no because many of the people here took their pre-reqs at a community college. I don't say this to sound arrogant but how do they account for the fact it is more difficult to get good grades at a more competitive school? Or do they only care about the *numbers*?

I'm wondering if anyone knows when orientation is and when the first day of class is. Is the calendar online? I feel like USN should've informed us by now...

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the orientation is scheduled from August 22nd to August 24th, and the first day of classes is on August 27th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

just wanted to pass on my congratulations to all of those who have been accepted to USN. I just completed my P2 year at USN and will begin my advanced clinical rotations shortly (I have this first block off) :)

I know what a long road it is to get to where you are now so I wish all of you the very best. Make certain to enjoy your summer and be prepared for the fall.

Hi Smilescali! Conrats on completing your P1 year!!

Take care everyone!

Asor :D

My first post and first time in this forum
WoW, looking at GPA in this thread makes me look bad
my interview was on March 14th, got accepted over amonth ago to Utah campus, on the waiting list for Henderson.

GPA (overall): 2.8, barely since I rounded up (I hate GE classes)
GPA (science): 3.2
3+ yrs of pharmacy experience
did very well on my interview--I was sincere at the interview and expressed my passion for the profession and this is the reason I got accepted, hope this helps you folks out there with similar situation.

my interview was on March 14th, got accepted over amonth ago to Utah campus, on the waiting list for Henderson.

did very well on my interview--I was sincere at the interview and expressed my passion for the profession and this is the reason I got accepted, hope this helps you folks out there with similar situation.

do u have a BS? and did deyoung tell u what # on the waitlist your at?

do u have a BS? and did deyoung tell u what # on the waitlist your at?

No BS
at the time he called me and told me I got accepted to Utah (I marked it as my first choice), I asked him if I can be put on the waiting list for vegas, he said I would be the top 20 and he did not know the exact spot since they haven't finalized the admissions for vegas. I haven't called them since I am very content with my acceptance. But I did choose the waiting list option when I turned in my deposit. Hope I get accepted to Vegas since I live in southern calif

No BS
at the time he called me and told me I got accepted to Utah (I marked it as my first choice), I asked him if I can be put on the waiting list for vegas, he said I would be the top 20 and he did not know the exact spot since they haven't finalized the admissions for vegas. I haven't called them since I am very content with my acceptance. But I did choose the waiting list option when I turned in my deposit. Hope I get accepted to Vegas since I live in southern calif

congrats. I also live in Socal and i only choose to be waitlisted at Henderson. Unfortunately I'm not in the top 50 of the list. If you already got accepted to the utah campus, and top 20 waiting for Henderson then my chances are pretty slim :(

congrats. I also live in Socal and i only choose to be waitlisted at Henderson. Unfortunately I'm not in the top 50 of the list. If you already got accepted to the utah campus, and top 20 waiting for Henderson then my chances are pretty slim :(

thank you and good luck
dont give up, I got rejected to many schools too. Last year, I applied to over 20 schools, was on the waiting list for 3 and eventually got rejected (those 3 schools happen to require PCAT, did very well on PCAT, 95+ percentile in math, Bio, and chemistry, sucky in Verbal and reading and writing, 50 percentile in those and a 3 on writing), the rest got rejected. Stupid me that I did not apply to USN last year since I saw their average GPA of acceptance, I got detered so I did not apply to them last year. But this year, I just applied for the heck of it and it turned out good. BTW, I am only applying to 5 schools this year, got waitlisted for Hawaii, rejected by Pacific, Western, Touro.

I did get into a pharmacy school.. but USN Henderson is really my first choice. I really don't want to move away for like 4 years. With the Title IV loans, it looks like USN is a lot tougher to get in this year than the previous years. I wish DeYoung would give me an estimate on how the process is going...

I am interested in applying to USN with a Bachelor's. However, I am in shock to find that students need 90% to pass a course. At the University of Toronto, where I am currently studying less than 5% of the class usually gets a 90. So can anyone shed any light on this issue and perhaps, provide me with a source of what % of people graduate compared to accepted people? Thanks.

I am interested in applying to USN with a Bachelor's. However, I am in shock to find that students need 90% to pass a course. At the University of Toronto, where I am currently studying less than 5% of the class usually gets a 90. So can anyone shed any light on this issue and perhaps, provide me with a source of what % of people graduate compared to accepted people? Thanks.

Depends, since 90% is passing, of course they would make the test a bit easier than the schools that have 70% passing. Just look at this way, you do not see high dropout ratio for USN do you??

when you say 28 for overalland 28 for prereq, how is one with 3.5 scored relative to someone with 4.0?

when you say 28 for overalland 28 for prereq, how is one with 3.5 scored relative to someone with 4.0?

Depends, USN only uses GPA to see who will get the interview and who will not. So it is a weeding process. But once you get a seat for the interview, you are treated the same as 4.0 students. Thats what I was told at the interview and I got in with a very low shameful GPA. I did very well on the interview. Hope that helps

i hav shifted to USN henderson,., i think i hav mentiuoned that

Anyone with prior military service get accepted?

If so, was wondering if having that helped at all in the app process.

Yes, I was 6 years Navy - nuclear power machinist mate. I do think it helped in my application and interview. It does sound like the GPAs are almost strictly used to get you an interview though. Looking at some of theses postings with lower GPAs makes me think they must have had some wildcard interviews based on stellar and/or very interesting essays in the application process.

Over

Hello RxDink21,
I was never active duty military but did attend the Air Force Academy for 2 1/2 years. I got out though because I ended marrying a fellow classmate from there once he graduated. So I am an Air Force spouse (10+ years).

I have to say that having the cultural experience from moving around and interacting with people from various backgrounds has only served as a positive attribute. Certainly helps in the pharmacy profession where you will be dealing with people from all walks of life.

Experience is a huge component of the application process--so if you've got it, it can only help you :) Good luck to you.

Thanks for the replies overhill and asor!

Last day for people to decid if they want to stay on the waitlist or not :) Just emailed DeYoung to check on the status of things. Hopefully I'll be able to move up from my position... lol... so sad... I'm probably around like 80 :p

Just got an email from DeYoung... now I'm in the top 40 for the Henderson campus but he said my chances are extremely low :(

did you apply to South Jordan??

No I didnt.. just the Henderson campus.

Do you guys think an A in Physics (4 unit) in the spring would make any difference? I'm also planning to take a summer class just to try and boost my gpa up. Even if its only a little help, I dont want to give up yet...

to those of you guys who got acceptance...did u have to take the PCAT exam...and what school are you talking about ?

thanks

Just got an email from DeYoung... now I'm in the top 40 for the Henderson campus but he said my chances are extremely low :(

Did he ramdomly send you this email, or did you inquire and he replied back?

Did he ramdomly send you this email, or did you inquire and he replied back?

I emailed him. Cause June 1st was the last day for people to decided if they want to stay on the waitlist or not. Just wanted to get an update...

First off, congratulations on getting accepted! I don't mean to sound mean or anything (because my stats are similar to yours haha), but everyone keeps talking about the point system and how the USN adcom only uses applicants' GPA scores to determine if they get an interview spot. So, how did you even get an interview in the first place when your stats are so much lower than USN's average? I'm just asking because I am wondering if I should even bother applying. Please don't flame me :laugh: I'm applying to 11 other schools :scared:

First off, congratulations on getting accepted! I don't mean to sound mean or anything (because my stats are similar to yours haha), but everyone keeps talking about the point system and how the USN adcom only uses applicants' GPA scores to determine if they get an interview spot. So, how did you even get an interview in the first place when your stats are so much lower than USN's average? I'm just asking because I am wondering if I should even bother applying. Please don't flame me :laugh: I'm applying to 11 other schools :scared:

An average is just that - an average - which means there are peaks and valleys contributing to this average. I feel that there were an awful lot of 4.0s that applied. There are bound to be some lower GPA's that get interviews making up this average. Also, we do not yet know what the class' of 2010 applying GPAs are as we will not truly be the class of 2010 until August 22 or even as late as September 1. Maybe we will have the statistically lowest entering GPA in the history of USN. Maybe this is the year that all the 4.0s got offers from schools 2 blocks away from their mama's houses and are really looking forward to free room and board, in-state tuition at public schools, and 14 week summers. As I mentioned before in this thread I do think there must have been at least a few wildcard interviews based on stellar non-assessment portions of the application. If your applying at 11 other schools anyway, what's another $125 in the mix to get a chance to study under the block system and graduate a year earlier than 90%+ of all other pharmacy students in the country? Who knows that the class of 2011 won't have the statistically lowest entering GPAs of any class in the history of USN. Also these campuses are right by Las Vegas (Henderson) and 'ThE GrEaTeSt SnOw On EaRtH (South Jordan). Flame off.

Over

ha good one! i guess i'm screwed now!! :D

I feel that there were an awful lot of 4.0s that applied. There are bound to be some lower GPA's that get interviews making up this average.

This is what I was trying to get at though, since according to some people, interview invitations are only sent out to applicants who scored the highest on the 28+28 point scale. So, what I'm asking is (and I want to clarify again that I am *not* trying to put down people or anything of the sort. I am just asking my question based off information that others have said in this forum): according to the 28+28 point scale, how was it possible for a low-stats applicant like Ghettocowboy23 to be invited to an interview?

What I am suggesting is: according to the said point scale alone, there is no way any low-stats applicant would have a chance for an interview. Yet, Ghettocowboy23 got an interview (which he evidently nailed. Congratulations on your acceptance again!). So, could there be other factors aside from the 28+28 point scale that help the USN adcom determine whether an applicant gets an interview?

Note: Look at previous posts to see stats and etc.

Well, I dont know how much the non-academic part is included in the calculation and when I got the letter for the interview (kinda late too, end of February since I turned in my app at the end of September), I was shocked myself. Just to let you guys know, I applied to USN just for the heck of it (knowing my chance is super slim) since it is still west coast and close to home. I do have 3+ years of pharmacy experience, I focused on the questionaire and tied my work experience in every question. I turned in letters of rec (as optional for USN) and I have very good letters of Rec. I also volunteered for 3 years for a health care related organization. Anyway, goodluck on your app.

No I didnt.. just the Henderson campus.

Do you guys think an A in Physics (4 unit) in the spring would make any difference? I'm also planning to take a summer class just to try and boost my gpa up. Even if its only a little help, I dont want to give up yet...

that would really help especially if you are reapplying (and reapply early). But dont give up hope yet since most folks who got accepted there are more likely to be californians and if they get accepted to california school like SC, or SF, or UOP, they would stay in calif. Top 40 aint that bad

that would really help especially if you are reapplying (and reapply early). But dont give up hope yet since most folks who got accepted there are more likely to be californians and if they get accepted to california school like SC, or SF, or UOP, they would stay in calif. Top 40 aint that bad

Thanks:) I needed to hear that... LOL. Been kinda sad the whole day...

Dr. Deyoung sent out 2 emails yesterday clarifying 2 things: Intern License for Utah and Financial Aid/Loan. Anyway, to clarify thing further: you dont need to get your intern license rightaway since the first year hour does not count towards your experiential hours even if you have intern license. The only advantage is to have higher pay. But since I am with Walgreens, they bumped me up on my pay the day I got accepted to pharmacy school. So basically I am getting paid as an intern without an intern license. But even if I have intern license, the hours that I am working, will not count. Hope that clears thing out for you guys

did any nevada acceptees get info about their intern license yet?

did any nevada acceptees get info about their intern license yet?

The dean is not gonna sign any intern license until after the orientation, which is August 22nd. In the email, it says that they will not going to sign any intern license till students turn in their tuition.

you dont need to get your intern license rightaway since the first year hour does not count towards your experiential hours even if you have intern license. The only advantage is to have higher pay. But since I am with Walgreens, they bumped me up on my pay the day I got accepted to pharmacy school. So basically I am getting paid as an intern without an intern license. But even if I have intern license, the hours that I am working, will not count. Hope that clears thing out for you guys

Can you explain this further? What about working as an intern during the 2nd and 3rd year? I know the state of Utah requires so many hours as an intern so you can be qualified for a Pharmacy license. How many of the USN/school EPPE, CPPE, and APPE hours can we count towards what the state of Utah requires and how many have to be paid (non-school/USN) hours working as a pharmacy intern? Could someone get all the hours Utah requires without working as a paid intern or do a certain number of them need to be paid hours (i.e., non USN/school EPPE, CPPE and APPE)? I will probably work part time as a paid intern during school but I might not. I am going to feel it out and see how busy school keeps me and whether or not I want to live off loans only. But if the state requires paid hours I guess that makes the decision for me.

I've never worked in a pharmacy as a paid employee so I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to all of this. I'm sure we will find out all the details once Orientation comes in August but I figure the more I can find out now the better.

I've found some info on the below links but I'm not completley sure I understand how this whole intern hours things works:

http://www.usn.edu/html/curriculum_detail.phtml?id=166&action=cat_view&cat_id=263

http://dopl.utah.gov/licensing/pharmacy.html

Most states do not give out intern license till the student is in his/her 2nd year of pharmacy (at an accredited school or at least candidate status). Some states, like Calif, and New York, gives out intern license during P1 but those states do not count the hours that you work during the first year towards your experimential hours for the state board. So lets say, you are a P1 student, and have a Calif intern License and work during your P1. The hours you work during your P1 (on your own) will not count towards the 600 hours required for you to take the Calif state board when you graduate. Hope that clears thing out