Usn Accepted Announcements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The dean is not gonna sign any intern license until after the orientation, which is August 22nd. In the email, it says that they will not going to sign any intern license till students turn in their tuition.

this info was directed specfically to the Utah students. I am not sure whether or not it applies to the Nevada ones.

Members don't see this ad.

Most states do not give out intern license till the student is in his/her 2nd year of pharmacy (at an accredited school or at least candidate status). Some states, like Calif, and New York, gives out intern license during P1 but those states do not count the hours that you work during the first year towards your experimential hours for the state board. So lets say, you are a P1 student, and have a Calif intern License and work during your P1. The hours you work during your P1 (on your own) will not count towards the 600 hours required for you to take the Calif state board when you graduate. Hope that clears thing out

Ghetto,

Thanks for the info.

I'm only concerned with the Utah laws as I'll be going to school there, interning there throughout school and then practicing there after I finish school.

It looks like in Utah we need 1,500 intern hours and 600 hours must be outside of school. (I could be reading this wrong).

"Requirements for Internship: The internship must consist of at least 1,500 hours obtained in Utah and/or in another state or territory of the United States.

Internship hours completed in Utah must include at least 360 hours but not more than 900 hours in a college coordinated practical experience program as an integral part of the curriculum which must include a minimum of 120 hours in each of the following:
(1) community pharmacy; (2) hospital pharmacy; and (3) another pharmacy setting."

I got the info from http://dopl.utah.gov/licensing/forms/009.pdf (page 4)

I haven't found anything about p1 hours not counting here in Utah.

Good Luck, see you in August

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like in Utah we need 1,500 intern hours and 600 hours must be outside of school. (I could be reading this wrong).

"Requirements for Internship: The internship must consist of at least 1,500 hours obtained in Utah and/or in another state or territory of the United States.

Internship hours completed in Utah must include at least 360 hours but not more than 900 hours in a college coordinated practical experience program as an integral part of the curriculum which must include a minimum of 120 hours in each of the following:
(1) community pharmacy; (2) hospital pharmacy; and (3) another pharmacy setting."

I got the info from http://dopl.utah.gov/licensing/forms/009.pdf (page 4)

I haven't found anything about p1 hours not counting here in Utah.

Good Luck, see you in August

Hey there mrsturtle:)

Thanks for the great info!

So the way you understand this is that we have to work at a paid job as an intern for at least 600 hours or we won't be able to graduate/gain licensure/sit for Naplex by the time we reach the end of the P3 year? If this is true I find it to be ironic that USN discourages students from working, because of the "intense nature of the acclerated block curriculum". I guess I could always get those 600 hours in during the 3rd year. I've heard the 3rd year offers much more free time than the first two. Who knows I might even work part-time the first two years as well. TBD:) BTW, are you planning on getting a paid intern job the 1st or 2nd year or will you wait till the 3rd?

I'll likely call USN soon to figure out how exactly this all works.

I turned in letters of rec (as optional for USN) and I have very good letters of Rec.

Is this true?! I knew USN didn't require LOR's but I also thought they would consider it a nuisance if they received it anyways. If it is true, how many did you send? How many do you think is necessary? Lastly, do you just send it along with your application? Oh, also do we have to write an essay in any part of the application process for USN? Thanks bye.

Is this true?! I knew USN didn't require LOR's but I also thought they would consider it a nuisance if they received it anyways. If it is true, how many did you send? How many do you think is necessary? Lastly, do you just send it along with your application? Oh, also do we have to write an essay in any part of the application process for USN? Thanks bye.

I sent 3, 2 from pharmacists, one from science professor.
Personal statement, I sent in a personal statement along with the questionaires

Hello everyone,

just wanted to pass on my congratulations to all of those who have been accepted to USN. I just completed my P2 year at USN and will begin my advanced clinical rotations shortly (I have this first block off) :)

I know what a long road it is to get to where you are now so I wish all of you the very best. Make certain to enjoy your summer and be prepared for the fall.

Hi Smilescali! Conrats on completing your P1 year!!

Take care everyone!

Asor :D

Thanks Asor! It is finally over with...I am looking forward to the short break after my 6 week rotation. Congrats to you as well! I know you worked hard all year! Yippie!

Oh and good job to all of you incoming USNers! Relax and enjoy your summer.:)

any news for the waiting list students at this time, anybody??

I received my loan letter today, I can loan up to 54.7k for the first year, I was worry that the federal loan wont be enough for the living expenses and was shopping for private loan. But now I dont have to anymore. All I need is around 10 to 15k for the living expenses since I am not a big spender.

i am still waiting for mine

can u pls let us know the details of the statement like the amout if loans which dont carry any interest and the amount of loan that carries interest and how much % of interest and how much is the period to pay it back

i am still waiting for mine

can u pls let us know the details of the statement like the amout if loans which dont carry any interest and the amount of loan that carries interest and how much % of interest and how much is the period to pay it back

I dont know the interest rate at the moment, but I know federal unsubsidize loan is capped at 9% regardless of the market rate, even if the market rate goes up to 12%, it will never be any higher than 9%.

Here is the breakdown of loan per semester:

Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan: $4250 (no interest till you get out)
Federal Unsubisidized Stafford Loan $12945
Federal Graduate Plus Loan: $10192

I dont know the interest rate at the moment, but I know federal unsubsidize loan is capped at 9% regardless of the market rate, even if the market rate goes up to 12%, it will never be any higher than 9%.

Here is the breakdown of loan per semester:

Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan: $4250 (no interest till you get out)
Federal Unsubisidized Stafford Loan $12945
Federal Graduate Plus Loan: $10192

Thanks for the reply......

so the 27387 is for the first half of the first yr.. this means u get an additinal 27K at the end of the first half.

so the interest on the 2nd and 3rd loans is 9% ..

Thanks for the reply......

so the 27387 is for the first half of the first yr.. this means u get an additinal 27K at the end of the first half.

so the interest on the 2nd and 3rd loans is 9% ..

They go with the average market rate, I think the rate right now is around 6 to 7%. The interest rate is capped at 9% if the market rate is higher than 9%

Members don't see this ad :)
They go with the average market rate, I think the rate right now is around 6 to 7%. The interest rate is capped at 9% if the market rate is higher than 9%

Which lender are you going to choose?

Which lender are you going to choose?

I dont know which lenders yet

I am going with the default lender as part of the federal loan. they haven't presented me any lenders to choose from yet, it is just a letter informing me how much and what kind of loan I am getting

i too got the letter today same details

you hav to fill the online form i guess i'll hav some one else look at the form. i will call the financial aid office after the colg reopens on monday.

I sent 3, 2 from pharmacists, one from science professor.
Personal statement, I sent in a personal statement along with the questionaires

A couple of more questions....Is the personal statement the only part where you need to write an essay? What about during the actual interview? Also, do we get to sit down or do we need to stand up during the interview? Thanks.

A couple of more questions....Is the personal statement the only part where you need to write an essay? What about during the actual interview? Also, do we get to sit down or do we need to stand up during the interview? Thanks.

:laugh: the last part of your question is funny! anyways, yes the only essay that requires is the PS, and we sit down to have our interview not stand up! :laugh::laugh:

No writing at the interview

And the staffs at all the schools will try to make you feel as comfortable as posible at the interview, so no standing up interview. But some schools use their p1 students for input on the students, so be sure to converse with p1 student as much as posible and ask a lot of questions. I know USN doesn't do that, but some schools out there does do that.

The personal statement is in essay format
good luck on your app

Ok, I received a lot of private messages regarding of USN app and how I did it with my low GPA, so I will address it here to help out those are applying in the future:

1) Personal statement: I used personal example, had a minor problem, went to md, got a prescription, went to pharmacist, pharmacist told me not to take it since my problem is minor and the side effects of the med prescribed will be a greater problem than the minor problem I had--to show example that pharmacists cares for pt more than doctors. I used the school mission statement in my essay or at least my essay showing my passion for pharmacy revolving the school mission statement
2) Questionaires: tied in any personal experience, incident that you witness when pharmacist has to consult pt on OTC, drug interactions, side effects, etc... and use examples of 2 drug names that are interacting with each other. And again, show your passion here
3) Letters of Rec: optional, but will help you and wont hurt you unless your recommender really hates you. Since my GPA is low, so I have to resort to them. I sent in 3, 2 from pharmacists, one from science teacher. I asked the pharmacists to write about my dedication at work, my passion for the sick people, my will to learn the drugs and side effects (I do demonstrate all those at work), etc.... And for the science teacher, she knows what to write about me because I did demonstrate hardwork and dedication in the class, and received the highest great in her class (A&PII)
4) the Interview: If you get one: be yourself, be honest and show your genuinality. Use answer basing on personal experience. Be careful with ethical/moral questions (caught friend cheating, saw pharmacist stealing), turn them in but do show that it is hard for you to turn them in because you know them so long bla bla bla to show that you have sympathy but you dont have a choice because you are taught to do the right thing. Make sure you know who interview you, what they teach/do. I have an Ethics teacher and pharmaceutics. So I emphasized on the moral/ethical issues in the pharmacy. To impress the pharmaceutics professor, when asked the question about my strength--I said that I am proud of my arithmatic skill then expand it from there, I will excel in her pharmaceutics class because of my math skills, my pharmacists trust me in dosage calculation because of it, the highest mistakes in pharmacy is wrong dosage calculation and on. There is also the p1 student on the interview panel, ask him questions about the curriculum, his pharmacy school life, and ask him for advice on how to succeed in the program since he have gone through most of the p1. So questions like that will really help. Expect common questions (questions that most of you would already know and well prepare for) like why pharmacy, why USN. Please do not use generic answer, give example, personal example, or example that you witness at work. Make sure you read and understand the school mission statement, it comes in handy at the interview especially why USN, then you can use the school mission statement. The school mission statement tells you the direction of the school heading to or what the school is focusing on. So use it and tie it in with where you want to work in the future. For instance, if they focus on research, then tell them that you want to be a clinical pharmacist or you want to work in the hospital when you get out.
Thats all I can think of for now, since I just woke up and my brain is not fully functional. If I find anything I left out, I will added it later.
Good luck all

I received my loan letter today, I can loan up to 54.7k for the first year, I was worry that the federal loan wont be enough for the living expenses and was shopping for private loan. But now I dont have to anymore. All I need is around 10 to 15k for the living expenses since I am not a big spender.

Hey, I finally got that letter too. I got ~56.8K. My EFC was ~5K and I'm independent. I don't know what else factors into how much you get. I'm relieved too, I was thinking that I might be having to shop around for private loans, but that is more than enough for me. I'm tempted to take out the entire sum... but I will try to stick to ~48K each year.

Hey, I finally got that letter too. I got ~56.8K. My EFC was ~5K and I'm independent. I don't know what else factors into how much you get. I'm relieved too, I was thinking that I might be having to shop around for private loans, but that is more than enough for me. I'm tempted to take out the entire sum... but I will try to stick to ~48K each year.

Hi, I hope everybody is having a good summer. Dear Piyi and everyone who got the loan letters, will U help me how to do it step by step online? I'm so confused, Thanks Alot:thumbup::)

Hi, I hope everybody is having a good summer. Dear Piyi and everyone who got the loan letters, will U help me how to do it step by step online? I'm so confused, Thanks Alot:thumbup::)

Go to USN's homepage and find the federal financial aid program approval thing they're talking about. Click 'read more'; find "to complete your loan application, click here". On the right hand side of the page you'll find a section headed "Pharmacy students". Click on "Stafford loan request" and GradPLUS loan request". You will need to fill out thouse forms and submit them. You can look at the "Stafford lender list" and GradPLUS lender list" to decide which lender to choose. I think that's what you need to do. At least that's what I did. I hope it's right.

Has anyone had an idea which lender is better than the others? I have no clue... Can someone please help me out?

Thank you

I had the below, two-part, correspondence with Dr. Osterman last week. I have not yet heard from Professor Stout.

"Congratulations on your acceptance to USN South Jordan campus. Dr. Zarley and I are both out of the Henderson office. Professor Stout will be able to provide you with the Utah regulations in terms of internship hours.
I believe that you are able to acquire all your hours through your school experiential programs but do not want to mislead you.

See you in August.

Dr. Oesterman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Darla Zarley; Ann Stout; Paul Oesterman
Subject: # of Utah intern hours required

Good afternoon Professor's Osterman, Stout and Zarley,

I will be starting at USN South Jordan this Fall.

I have questions regarding Utah law that I'm hoping you could help me with.

From what I've read, it looks like in Utah we need 1,500 intern hours and 600 hours must be outside of school.

I am not clear on what this means. Does this mean that I'll have to work at a paid job as an intern for at least 600 hours or I won't be able to graduate/gain licensure/sit for Naplex by the time I reach the end of the P3 year? In past conversations with USN representatives I've been discouraged from working because of the "intense nature of the acclerated block curriculum". I guess I could always get those 600 hours in during the 3rd year. I've heard the 3rd year offers much more free time than the first two. Who knows I might even decide to work part-time the first two years as well.

Thanks for your time. I hope to hear from you soon."

I had the below, two-part, correspondence with Dr. Osterman last week. I have not yet heard from Professor Stout.

"Congratulations on your acceptance to USN South Jordan campus. Dr. Zarley and I are both out of the Henderson office. Professor Stout will be able to provide you with the Utah regulations in terms of internship hours.
I believe that you are able to acquire all your hours through your school experiential programs but do not want to mislead you.

See you in August.

Dr. Oesterman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Darla Zarley; Ann Stout; Paul Oesterman
Subject: # of Utah intern hours required

Good afternoon Professor's Osterman, Stout and Zarley,

I will be starting at USN South Jordan this Fall.

I have questions regarding Utah law that I'm hoping you could help me with.

From what I've read, it looks like in Utah we need 1,500 intern hours and 600 hours must be outside of school.

I am not clear on what this means. Does this mean that I'll have to work at a paid job as an intern for at least 600 hours or I won't be able to graduate/gain licensure/sit for Naplex by the time I reach the end of the P3 year? In past conversations with USN representatives I've been discouraged from working because of the "intense nature of the acclerated block curriculum". I guess I could always get those 600 hours in during the 3rd year. I've heard the 3rd year offers much more free time than the first two. Who knows I might even decide to work part-time the first two years as well.

Thanks for your time. I hope to hear from you soon."

Congrats! We'll see ya in a month!

Hmmm, good question..... I was always under the impression that all of it was scheduled as a part of the regular curriculum (with the 3rd year being the most intern-concentrated)....all of which is unpaid in Utah; Let me know what their response was...

Congrats! We'll see ya in a month!

Hmmm, good question..... I was always under the impression that all of it was scheduled as a part of the regular curriculum (with the 3rd year being the most intern-concentrated)....all of which is unpaid in Utah; Let me know what their response was...

Here is Professor Stout's response:
"You are correct in your understanding of the internship hour requirements. Of the 1,500 hours required for Pharmacist licensure 900 may be from the Experiential Portion of your Professional Doctorate program. The remaining 600 are required in a compensated position. I have confirmed this requirement with Diana Baker at the Utah State Board of Pharmacy – I will have more information after discussing the block format and requirements with the Experiential Team – we will clarify all requirements during Orientation in August as well as we continue to meet with the Board/Academia representatives.
I look forward to meeting you this August."

so this answers it. We must work 600 hours as a paid intern sometime between starting P1 and before obtaining our Utah pharmacist license.

Any updates on loans/lenders?

"You are correct in your understanding of the internship hour requirements. Of the 1,500 hours required for Pharmacist licensure 900 may be from the Experiential Portion of your Professional Doctorate program. The remaining 600 are required in a compensated position. I have confirmed this requirement with Diana Baker at the Utah State Board of Pharmacy – I will have more information after discussing the block format and requirements with the Experiential Team – we will clarify all requirements during Orientation in August as well as we continue to meet with the Board/Academia representatives.

so this answers it. We must work 600 hours as a paid intern sometime between starting P1 and before obtaining our Utah pharmacist license.

nice detective work... ;)

so u all r saying that the 1500 hrs neded for eligibilty for the naplex is not totallt included in the curriculum..... if it aint included i wil be pissed.....

any idea when we shall hav thje time in our 3 yrs to completed the 600

sheesh! That stings.

As far as choosing a lender, I'm going to try and go with UHEAA.org

Stafford Loan Benefits:

1. No Fees are deducted from Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans that are sold to UHEAA's secondary market.
  2. The interest rate of a Federal Stafford Loan is automatically reduced by 1.25% when the loan is set up for automatic payments and monthly payments are actively withdrawn from a checking or savings account.
  3. After the first 48 monthly payments are received on-time, the interest rate is automatically reduced by 2%.

No hassles, like having to call in and request your rebates. And, they are a non-profit organization....always a plus.

The Federal GradPLUS bens are the same.
I called financial aid and they said to get a MPN and a school cert. & then I should be set.

sheesh! That stings.

As far as choosing a lender, I'm going to try and go with UHEAA.org

Stafford Loan Benefits:

1. No Fees are deducted from Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans that are sold to UHEAA's secondary market.
  2. The interest rate of a Federal Stafford Loan is automatically reduced by 1.25% when the loan is set up for automatic payments and monthly payments are actively withdrawn from a checking or savings account.
  3. After the first 48 monthly payments are received on-time, the interest rate is automatically reduced by 2%.

No hassles, like having to call in and request your rebates. And, they are a non-profit organization....always a plus.

The Federal GradPLUS bens are the same.
I called financial aid and they said to get a MPN and a school cert. & then I should be set.

Oh yeah, it doesn't have to be a lender on the list they gave us! What is school cert? Who did you talk to at USN about this option? On the Fianancial Aid Award Letter from USN it states that if your lender is not on their website you should contact them for procedures on how to do the loan request on this site: http://www.smartcomputingsystems.com/apps/usn/. Which lender from this list ( http://uheaa.org/schoolsLending02.html ) did you choose and why?

What about this July 16th deadline for financial aid? This deadline is just to submit our application right and not for returning the promissory note right? How long does that whole process take?

Thanks and Later

so u all r saying that the 1500 hrs neded for eligibilty for the naplex is not totallt included in the curriculum..... if it aint included i wil be pissed.....
The way I understand it it all depends on the state you'll be practicing in. I am referring to Utah law. If you won't be practicing in Utah then it may be different for you. The Naplex is a national test not a state test, and from what I understand USN's school experential curriculum will prepare you for that, but remember you'll likely need to pass a state licensure exam too if you'll be practicing in the U.S.A.

any idea when we shall hav thje time in our 3 yrs to completed the 600

Many students at USN work part-time while going to school. Weekends and every other Monday work are common. Also, I've heard many students work during the Christmas/New Year's break and other school breaks/holidays. There is also a six week break between the P1 and P2 year (as long as no remediation is required) and that is time to work. Also, the P3 year is not as busy as P1 and P2 and will likely allow more time for part-time interning. Again it comes back to what state you'll be practicing in and whether or not they require "paid interning hours". As far as I understand it the Naplex does not require this but it is the Utah state certification that does.

Oh yeah, it doesn't have to be a lender on the list they gave us! What is school cert? Who did you talk to at USN about this option? On the Fianancial Aid Award Letter from USN it states that if your lender is not on their website you should contact them for procedures on how to do the loan request on this site: http://www.smartcomputingsystems.com/apps/usn/. Which lender from this list ( http://uheaa.org/schoolsLending02.html ) did you choose and why?

What about this July 16th deadline for financial aid? This deadline is just to submit our application right and not for returning the promissory note right? How long does that whole process take?

Thanks and Later

Okay, I've been playing phone tag with Liz at USN's financial aid office and UHEAA. I got the link for a Master Promissory Note (MPN) as currently you won't be able to apply online with UHEAA until they enter in USN's school certification: http://nchelp.org/elibrary/index.cfm?parent=60

The school cert. is basically communication between the school and UHEAA informing them that USN is an accredited school and has recieved the FASFA info from the student...at which point, they'll be able to process your MPN and you'll recieve your loans.

I haven't chosen a specific lender from UHEAA's website, however the nice thing about working with them is that it really doesn't matter!!! The UHEAA benefits and rates are locked in no matter who you choose from the list, so it'll probably be more of matter of preference/convenience (i'll probably go with USBank, since I have a checking acct. with them & they have a 24/7 customer service center).

I'm not certain what the deadlines concern specifically....I'll call tomorrow and find out (they're closed now).

The way I understand it it all depends on the state you'll be practicing in. I am referring to Utah law. If you won't be practicing in Utah then it may be different for you. The Naplex is a national test not a state test, and from what I understand USN's school experential curriculum will prepare you for that, but remember you'll likely need to pass a state licensure exam too if you'll be practicing in the U.S.A.

Does any one know about situation for Nevada campus..

and i have one question on the licenture state and naplex exams.. can any one here give a comparison of both. i mean difficulties, what is tested on both etc etc

Does any one know about situation for Nevada campus..

and i have one question on the licenture state and naplex exams.. can any one here give a comparison of both. i mean difficulties, what is tested on both etc etc

contact Dr. Zarley and/or Dr. Oesterman with your first question. You'll find their contact info here: http://usn.edu/html/faculty.phtml.

Hope somebody can help with your second question.

best wishes to you!

Okay, I've been playing phone tag with Liz at USN's financial aid office and UHEAA. I got the link for a Master Promissory Note (MPN) as currently you won't be able to apply online with UHEAA until they enter in USN's school certification: http://nchelp.org/elibrary/index.cfm?parent=60

The school cert. is basically communication between the school and UHEAA informing them that USN is an accredited school and has recieved the FASFA info from the student...at which point, they'll be able to process your MPN and you'll recieve your loans.

I haven't chosen a specific lender from UHEAA's website, however the nice thing about working with them is that it really doesn't matter!!! The UHEAA benefits and rates are locked in no matter who you choose from the list, so it'll probably be more of matter of preference/convenience (i'll probably go with USBank, since I have a checking acct. with them & they have a 24/7 customer service center).

I'm not certain what the deadlines concern specifically....I'll call tomorrow and find out (they're closed now).

ShaolinRX,

Thanks so much for all your help on this. Let me know what more you've found out and what you have decided.

Who at Uheaa have you been working with?

I hope to have time to do all of my loan/lender stuff tomorrow!

Hello,

Please check USN's updated website. I found it better than the previous one.

Ray

Do we have to do the immunizations before we start classes??? like most other schools require...

Hello,

Please check USN's updated website. I found it better than the previous one.

Ray

it is defintely more visually inviting!!! Way to go USN! Before I was always a bit hesitant to refer "just anyone" to the USN website. This website looks super professional. Yea!

Now when will they change their name to something like Intermountain University or Great Basin University or Mountain West University or even Nevada/Utah Health Sciences University? I know...I know...I shouldn't be choosy! It would be nice though to have a name for the school that represents what they now are. Every time I tell people I'm going to USN they ask, "so when are you moving to Nevada"? Sometime in the future I do hope they address the two state campus aspect and follow in the steps of Midwestern, Touro and AT Still. LECOM should do the same too:) I imagine those LECOM Bradenton folks have to go through the whole explanation process too every time someone asks them when they are moving to Erie, PA.

Hey all, we start school in now less than 6 weeks! Horray!

Do we have to do the immunizations before we start classes??? like most other schools require...

I've had the same question.

I wonder though since we have a mandatory student health insurance policy if this serves basically the same purpose.

hmm?

I've had the same question.

I wonder though since we have a mandatory student health insurance policy if this serves basically the same purpose.

hmm?

We have that same policy G at Pacific - but they still had us fill out a health & immunization history form. You should definitely call student health services.

~above~

it is defintely more visually inviting!!! Way to go USN! Before I was always a bit hesitant to refer "just anyone" to the USN website. This website looks super professional. Yea!

Hey all, we start school in now less than 6 weeks! Horray!

yup!! Count Down:45 days for the lst class as a P1 student. Hehehe... super excited!

We have that same policy G at Pacific - but they still had us fill out a health & immunization history form. You should definitely call student health services.

~above~

Hey ~above~

will do.

Hope you are well! I saw you are getting engaged soon! Congrats!

p.s. - sorry I never responded to your PM. My box is full and I still have yet to clean it. I'll get around to that cleaning someday:)

yup!! Count Down:45 days for the lst class as a P1 student. Hehehe... super excited!

Hey Ray,

did you find a place to live in the Salt Lake area yet?

Hey Ray,

did you find a place to live in the Salt Lake area yet?

You should always make some room in your mailbox.. hahaha.. i was trying to send you pm. ...