UT southwestern point system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endofevangelion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true they have a point system for giving out acceptances? Like if they add up your MCAT + GPA and it passes a certain number, you automatically get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true they have a point system for giving out acceptances? Like if they add up your MCAT + GPA and it passes a certain number, you automatically get accepted?

i think they use this formula for interviews not acceptances and for the record, it's 10*GPA + mcat + Z factor (where Z factor is things like URM, publications, lineage) and that number should be about a 70+ for an autointerview

i think they use this formula for interviews not acceptances and for the record, it's 10*GPA + mcat + Z factor (where Z factor is things like URM, publications, lineage) and that number should be about a 70+ for an autointerview

Hahaha! I love your match countdown.

Members don't see this ad :)
I must have had a lot of z factors :eek:

and I must have had some negative z factors because I wasn't an auto invite but my gpa and MCAT add up to more than 70.

Proves that nothing is certain in this process.

HAHAHA I somehow slipped through the cracks, made it past the auto invite to the maybe we actually looked at her application invite. Someone must have been having a good day when they read mine so that I got an interview. Seriously, it feels really odd to have had all other interviews over 3 weeks in August, and then get (a total surprise!) an interview Dec. 9. I almost felt like it was a sign. :)

Countdown currently 6 days, 23 hours and 40 minutes!:eek: :eek: :eek:

haha, remember i said autointerviews i'm sure there's interviews handed out that are based on more than this formula

I think I was auto. My interview day was exactly a month after I was processed by Tmdsas.

I think I was auto. My interview day was exactly a month after I was processed by Tmdsas.

what month did your tmdsas get processed... cuz im pretty sure that autoinvites were sent out literally days after your tmdsas is processed...

Last rumor I heard was that you are automatically invited if you have at least a 31 and a 3.6.

I was processed by TMDSAS on Oct. 25. I got an email on the morning of the 27th from SW saying my app was complete with them, and then received an invite a few hours later.

what month did your tmdsas get processed... cuz im pretty sure that autoinvites were sent out literally days after your tmdsas is processed...

early august. yeah, i just looked, i got the interview invite 5 days before the actual interview so it def wasn't days after i was processed.

Since we all seem to be Texans here, how would you guys rate the standards UT Houston and UTMB puts into their pre-interview criterion? ie, MCAT, GPA, volunteering amount, research, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since we all seem to be Texans here, how would you guys rate the standards UT Houston and UTMB puts into their pre-interview criterion? ie, MCAT, GPA, volunteering amount, research, etc.

I think they are pretty equal with ave. gpa and mcat that they accept. the only difference i can see, is that houston interviews everyone and their mother so if you get an interview at both places, you have a better statistical chance at getting into utmb.

and I must have had some negative z factors because I wasn't an auto invite but my gpa and MCAT add up to more than 70.

Proves that nothing is certain in this process.

Haha. They must have hated my ps and secondary b/c mine add up to more than 70 too and I didn't even get an interview.

I think they are pretty equal with ave. gpa and mcat that they accept. the only difference i can see, is that houston interviews everyone and their mother so if you get an interview at both places, you have a better statistical chance at getting into utmb.

I didn't get a Houston interview and neither did my mother. :(

UTMB offered me an interview but I withdrew after I got my first acceptance. :D I wish I could have gone and just had some fun with my interviewers, but I wasn't going to waste $300 for that.

UTMB offered me an interview but I withdrew after I got my first acceptance. :D I wish I could have gone and just had some fun with my interviewers, but I wasn't going to waste $300 for that.
Why the frowny face? Frak them. It's their loss.

They didn't interview me (or most of the other nontrads that applied, to my recollection) so I'm not so sure I agree with the "everyone and their mother" statement either.

But, to answer the original question, I don't think that UTMB puts as much weight into volunteering, etc because I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing in the MSAR that their Volunteer Work percentage was much lower than average. I'm pretty sure that UTMB is a numbers ***** (based upon some of the statistics -- I remember someone posting something showing where A&M premed undergradutaes were sorted by GPA/MCAT) which is another reason why I don't buy the whole "We are so non-competitive and laid back, unlike UTSW and Baylor" load of crap that they were pushing when I interviewed there.

Don't be mad. I say better offer because it IS better offer for ME. I'm closer to home, I'm more familiar with Dallas than I am with Houston, and I liked SW very much.

Besides, read the comment in context. UTH didn't even give me an interview, and I am responding to that. I know you're quite passionate about your choices, but so am I.

maybe next time you should put this disclaimer on your original post so you don't have to put on a 'flame suit'

If I said "UT-Houston is the best!!", I would get some chuckles and that's it, a few people amicably disagreeing, maybe. But if I substitute UTH with UTSW, I'm suddenly very arrogant and no wonder SW has that reputation and we are all a bunch of gunners.

Come on, I've been posting here for a while now (too often, maybe ;) ). I'm not like that. I'm just glad to be in somewhere.

Don't be mad. I say better offer because it IS better offer for ME. I'm closer to home, I'm more familiar with Dallas than I am with Houston, and I liked SW very much.

Besides, read the comment in context. UTH didn't even give me an interview, and I am responding to that. I know you're quite passionate about your choices, but so am I.

If I said "UT-Houston is the best!!", I would get some chuckles and that's it, a few people amicably disagreeing, maybe. But if I substitute UTH with UTSW, I'm suddenly very arrogant and no wonder SW has that reputation and we are all a bunch of gunners.

Come on, I've been posting here for a while now (too often, maybe ;) ). I'm not like that. I'm just glad to be in somewhere.

dayum woman - calm down!

It was a rolleyes not a mad. I'm not mad! Why the hell would I be mad? I don't like SW remember? You like SW - Congrats! You got into a school you like! That's awesome! The rolleyes was in reponse to the "flamesuit" comment.

Now for god's sake stop being so fraking defensive! Jeebus - I think everyone needs to go out for a drink. You're all too highstrung.

UTH with UTSW, I'm suddenly very arrogant and no wonder SW has that reputation and we are all a bunch of gunners.

I don't think you are arrogant, and I've certainly never said that UTSW was full of gunners.

Be aware that I'm really stressing over the match (anastasis, drinks WILL be consumed), I didn't mean to offend you.

dayum woman - calm down!

It was a rolleyes not a mad. I'm not mad! Why the hell would I be mad? I don't like SW remember? You like SW - Congrats! You got into a school you like! That's awesome! The rolleyes was in reponse to the "flamesuit" comment.

Now for god's sake stop being so fraking defensive! Jeebus - I think everyone needs to go out for a drink. You're all too highstrung.

I was calm, sorry if it came out otherwise. I was just stating the original purpose of my comment, that's all...it's hard to interpret comments without hearing the tone, I guess. We should all start explaining the tone right below our comments (**sarcastic**, **angry**, **disappointed**). :p

And I wish I could go out for a drink, but I can't (underage disappointed minor here). I had to celebrate all med school acceptances with grape juice instead. ;)

I don't think you are arrogant, and I've certainly never said that UTSW was full of gunners.

Be aware that I'm really stressing over the match (anastasis, drinks WILL be consumed), I didn't mean to offend you.

:) I didn't mean to come across badly, either. I wish you good luck on the match. Take a few drinks for me as well, as I can't do it yet. :p

Haha. 'Frak them'. Neo-Battlestar Galactica fans?

haha, sorry, i knew someone was going to say that :( i just meant in terms of numbers they interview more people

And I wish I could go out for a drink, but I can't (underage disappointed minor here). I had to celebrate all med school acceptances with grape juice instead. ;)

do you have an august or later birthday? if so you've got one person that'll take you out to get trashed, tee hee....... :cool: ;)

Dude - I missed this the first time :eek: When are you turning 21? I might just need to drive up from Houston to help sprinkibrio get you wasted :smuggrin:

haha, sorry, i knew someone was going to say that :( i just meant in terms of numbers they interview more people

I have a theory: UT-H say her amazing application knew that UTSW was going to accept Baylormed and UT-H knew there was no way she'd go there over a school she was so enamoured with.

Hey UT-H just saved you some money, baylormed!

(and that was said with :love: just to clarify :) )

Dude - I missed this the first time :eek: When are you turning 21? I might just need to drive up from Houston to help sprinkibrio get you wasted :smuggrin:

I have a theory: UT-H say her amazing application knew that UTSW was going to accept Baylormed and UT-H knew there was no way she'd go there over a school she was so enamoured with.

Hey UT-H just saved you some money, baylormed!

(and that was said with :love: just to clarify :) )

:laugh: Wow, I feel honored. Not only 1, but 2 people offering to get me wasted for the first time in my life.

I have a summer birthday. In fact, I have the same birthday as Harry Potter. If you don't know when that is, then I can't be your friend. :p

You guys rock! :love: