UTSA Dental School Course Retakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

try1ng

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about retaking Biochemistry 1 as a postbacc at a different school from the school I got my bachelor's at. I heard that UTSA takes the highest and most current grade if you retake a course, but I'm not sure if it applies if you retake the course at a different school.

At the same time, I was advised to take Biochem 2 instead of Biochem 1, but at this point it might be difficult for me to change my schedule. Would it be worth it to take Biochem 1 anyways? Or should I just not take the course? It would only change my GPA significantly if the retake grade completely replaces the first grade.

Members don't see this ad.

By UTSA, I mean University of Texas San Antonio School of Dentistry. Thank you for any help!

Members don't see this ad :)
When you apply, your GPA will be calculated by AADSAS, which does not do grade replacements. If you passed biochem 1, there's no need to retake it since your GPA will not be significantly affected.

How AADSAS calculates GPA: http://www.adea.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=24512

Do dental schools then calculate their own version of the GPA? I thought that was the case, but maybe they just use the AADSAS GPA. I currently have a 3.45 total GPA and a 3.17 Science GPA. I know those are both really low, especially the Science GPA. If I get all A's in courses this semester I could raise my Science GPA to a 3.2. Do you think that would be worth it? I still need to take the DAT as well.

Do dental schools then calculate their own version of the GPA? I thought that was the case, but maybe they just use the AADSAS GPA. I currently have a 3.45 total GPA and a 3.17 Science GPA. I know those are both really low, especially the Science GPA. If I get all A's in courses this semester I could raise my Science GPA to a 3.2. Do you think that would be worth it? I still need to take the DAT as well.
Dental schools will not calculate their own version of the GPA. AADSAS is used to take care of all that and standardize the process. The overall GPA is decent. Your science GPA is on the lower side but raising it from 3.17 to 3.2 isn't going to do much for you. I'd focus more on the DAT and score high on that.