-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
VA HPSP (Physician)
Started by B4y 4RE4 N4Tiv3
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Would anyone be interested in setting up a Facebook group or something similar for us all to communicate as we travel this road together?
Yea man, I think that’d be great. Set it up and drop the link.
I just saw my application went from scored to offer pending! Do we just wait now to hear from the committee via email?!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rubikscube611
Full Member
Hey everyone! I'm seeing a lot of offer pendings, so congrats to everyone for going to medical school for free!
I had a quick question about the scholarship in case anyone had a similar experience. I reached out to a program assistant asking if the scholarship allows students to place preferences on where they would like to be located for their 6-year giveback, and they told me pretty straightforwardly that the needs of the VA will come first and they will place students in locations where it is most difficult to recruit and retain location. I was just wondering if this was everyone else's experience? I'm not necessarily stuck to one place, but I would love to at least put in a preference to stay close to my family. Congrats again everyone on getting accepted into this awesome scholarship program!
I had a quick question about the scholarship in case anyone had a similar experience. I reached out to a program assistant asking if the scholarship allows students to place preferences on where they would like to be located for their 6-year giveback, and they told me pretty straightforwardly that the needs of the VA will come first and they will place students in locations where it is most difficult to recruit and retain location. I was just wondering if this was everyone else's experience? I'm not necessarily stuck to one place, but I would love to at least put in a preference to stay close to my family. Congrats again everyone on getting accepted into this awesome scholarship program!
For me, I submitted my application and it went from application packet accepted to accpliceation packet scored in 10 days!did your status change yet? how long did it take to move on from "application packet accepted"?
I believe it marks that right away after you submit! Not 100% sure though!does the "packet accepted" message indicate that they went through it and checked for completeness? or is it automatically marked as "packet accepted" right after initially submitting it?
Are there any of these left? And how many slots were there originally?
Is it too late to apply for this HPSP?
Is it too late to apply for this HPSP?
Last edited:
Submitted my application on 4/26. My status changed from accepted to scored 05/05. How long does it normally take to hear back with a decision? *anxiously waiting*
im also waiting. looks like most people heard back a few days after being scoredSubmitted my application on 4/26. My status changed from accepted to scored 05/05. How long does it normally take to hear back with a decision? *anxiously waiting*
Sighhhh lol I really hate this waiting game! Hopefully we will see offer pending relatively soon!im also waiting. looks like most people heard back a few days after being scored
Update: offer now pending!!!!
If granted the VA HPSP, do you have to work wherever they tell you (like with the military HPSPs), or do you get to choose where you will work? Or do you get a list of a few options and then you choose from those? Seems like since the HPSP is like a contract, HPSP students would be at the mercy of the VA to send them where nobody else is willing to go...
First time i've heard of the NHSC one... trying to consider all my options, since HPSP might reject me for my medical conditions. I assume NHSC underserved communities includes rural? Is it the best option for someone interested in rural practice?Thanks for offering to answer questions!
-I saw on reddit that most people who do the PA HPSP with the VA get placed in federal prisons, is this the case for physicians too?
-I have ZERO experience with the VA, so what are some things potential VA doctors should know about?
-How does this scholarship compare to NHSC (I know for one, with NHSC you have to commit to FM, IM (no fellowship), Psych or OB)
does anyone have any insight on the alternate list? i just got put on. chances of getting an offer from it? and how long that wait typically is? i think have only seen one person here report getting an offer from it, and they had to wait about 1.5 months I believe
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been on Alternate list for almost 2 months now. Have not heard anything from them yet. I hope we both hear from them soon.does anyone have any insight on the alternate list? i just got put on. chances of getting an offer from it? and how long that wait typically is? i think have only seen one person here report getting an offer from it, and they had to wait about 1.5 months I believe
Last edited:
Hey guys, I just called the vendor ppl to see if they had received my form I sent 3 weeks ago. Turns out they did receive it, but I didn't fill out my email/phone number on the form. If you followed the instructions Scott emailed us on how to fill out the form, it didn't specify to fill out the email/phone number sections. Seems stupid, but the form is a little weird so I didn't think about it when initially filling it out. Figured I would share, because if you don't provide your email address they won't be able to send you the information to finish registration.
AspiringMountebank
Full Member
Anyone not able to login to the HPSP app today? Keep redirected to the login page
My understanding was that they have no authority to place you in a VA of their choosing. It is completely up to you which VA and what specialities. You just have to be working at a VA in order to pay back. Have folks heard differently?
My understanding was that they have no authority to place you in a VA of their choosing. It is completely up to you which VA and what specialities. You just have to be working at a VA in order to pay back. Have folks heard differently?
There must be a need (job opening) for your specialty. As long as there is, you can go to any VA hospital.
Got it. So, to be clear, I'd be applying for VA hospital jobs just like any other candidate interested in a VA hospital. I could be working as a physician in the Manhattan Medical Center VA or rural small town clinic VA, but I'd be satisfying the requirements all the same, right?There must be a need (job opening) for your specialty. As long as there is, you can go to any VA hospital.
I just got my final offer this past week, signed all the paperwork and am waiting on the final signature.Has anyone heard anything?
Yes! this is a great idea. there's an HPSP group on FB but is pretty much all military and not many people know about the VA programYea man, I think that’d be great. Set it up and drop the link.
im thinking about doing a med-psych combined program and am wondering if this would be allowed. anyone have any thoughts? and if I wanted to work primarily as a hospitalist, my concern is whether I would get to choose what I primarily do? I guess a better way to ask the question, is do we apply for jobs after we graduate or do we just get sent somewhere?Got it. So, to be clear, I'd be applying for VA hospital jobs just like any other candidate interested in a VA hospital. I could be working as a physician in the Manhattan Medical Center VA or rural small town clinic VA, but I'd be satisfying the requirements all the same, right?
AspiringMountebank
Full Member
im thinking about doing a med-psych combined program and am wondering if this would be allowed. anyone have any thoughts? and if I wanted to work primarily as a hospitalist, my concern is whether I would get to choose what I primarily do? I guess a better way to ask the question, is do we apply for jobs after we graduate or do we just get sent somewhere?
Check USAJobs. They list job descriptions in lengthy detail. If you’re curious in a specific specialty, perhaps try shadowing at the nearest VA?
Once you’re accepted, you have to be finger printed so that could make shadowing a bit easier.
After you sign the tentative scholarship what are the next steps in the process?
You have to payback the amount that you owe.Just curious, but what happens to these types of scholarships like VA HPSP if you don't complete school, or fail to match residency, or other such hiccups occur?
Yeah I figured lol...It's crazy to me that you can go through all of medical school and still not be able to practice because you fail to match... scary to think about!You have to payback the amount that you owe.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did you end up getting any new tasks or forms to complete? I have finished everything in my portal, I'm assuming ill get an email soon with more stuff to doAfter you sign the tentative scholarship what are the next steps in the process?
No I didn’t get anything else in the portal but I did get an email with that was about fingerprinting and a background check yesterday so my nerves have calmed loldid you end up getting any new tasks or forms to complete? I have finished everything in my portal, I'm assuming ill get an email soon with more stuff to do
how long after accepting the tentative offer did it take to get that stuff?No I didn’t get anything else in the portal but I did get an email with that was about fingerprinting and a background check yesterday so my nerves have calmed lol
It took 3 days!how long after accepting the tentative offer did it take to get that stuff?
Hi guys, missed the timeline to apply to this early on in the cycle. Could I perhaps apply to this in my M2 year to hopefully get the scholarship for my M3-M4 year and then have 3 years of VA service post-graduation?
+1!Just got the offer. So excited.
AspiringMountebank
Full Member
Hi guys, missed the timeline to apply to this early on in the cycle. Could I perhaps apply to this in my M2 year to hopefully get the scholarship for my M3-M4 year and then have 3 years of VA service post-graduation?
Yes, you can! Also, it’s 1.5 years of service per year of support. So a 3 year scholarship = 4.5 years of service.
wow I just graduated and I have major pangs of disappointment. I would have loved to have applied to this scholarship if I knew it existed. I only knew of military HPSP and NHSC. I literally just saw this thread pop up today, after graduating with full COA loans. And I wouldn't have minded working for the VA. This sucks. Congratulations to all of you who are participating!
battlegods18
Full Member
Is anyone else still applying now even though its late May now? I wonder if the limit on recipients have been filled by now... I submitted May 14th, would be great to know what the odds are of still getting selected.
DrDreamMadeReality
Full Member
Im sorry that sucks! But if it makes you feel any better, this scholarship wasn't even around yet when you started. I believe last year was the first year they even offered it!wow I just graduated and I have major pangs of disappointment. I would have loved to have applied to this scholarship if I knew it existed. I only knew of military HPSP and NHSC. I literally just saw this thread pop up today, after graduating with full COA loans. And I wouldn't have minded working for the VA. This sucks. Congratulations to all of you who are participating!
Omg that does make me feel better lol. (Hope it’s true!)Im sorry that sucks! But if it makes you feel any better, this scholarship wasn't even around yet when you started. I believe last year was the first year they even offered it!
also I did see (even before this thread about the scholarship, sometime during my loan exit counseling at school or at studentaid.gov website) that they have a VA student loan reimbursement program but I did the math and much like the NHSC scholarships, it’s much much more valuable to get the upfront scholarship than the back end reimbursement. Not just because of interest accrual in between during school + residency, but also the actual amount of money given as well.
Nope. They will take care of that for ya. It took me about 3 days to get the clearFor fingerprinting, does the VA office that does the fingerprinting send the fingerprints for us after we tell them the "security office numbers"? Or is there anything that we have to physically send ourselves?
jorgesnoopy
New Member
I deferred my acceptance to next year, so my first year would start Fall 2022. Does anyone know when the next cycle for this scholarship opens, and if earlier application would help me a bit? Thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
goofygoober626
Full Member
Look into va loan repayment for physicians!wow I just graduated and I have major pangs of disappointment. I would have loved to have applied to this scholarship if I knew it existed. I only knew of military HPSP and NHSC. I literally just saw this thread pop up today, after graduating with full COA loans. And I wouldn't have minded working for the VA. This sucks. Congratulations to all of you who are participating!
offer pending received today!! submitted my app on may 22 and sat at application accepted for about a week and a half. I come from a military family, but have no connection myself currently so I am very thankful for this opportunity. good luck to everyone applying!
controller212
New Member
Congrats! I submitted around the same time. Just wondering, is there something we’re supposed to do after it says “application accepted”? Or do we just wait for them to update? Mine’s been sitting on application accepted since the day I submittedoffer pending received today!! submitted my app on may 22 and sat at application accepted for about a week and a half. I come from a military family, but have no connection myself currently so I am very thankful for this opportunity. good luck to everyone applying!
Thanks! Just have to wait! I checked mine religiously and it just happened to change today without any further action on my end.Congrats! I submitted around the same time. Just wondering, is there something we’re supposed to do after it says “application accepted”? Or do we just wait for them to update? Mine’s been sitting on application accepted since the day I submitted
battlegods18
Full Member
Yeah I submitted on May 14th and it’s still been radio silence so far.Congrats! I submitted around the same time. Just wondering, is there something we’re supposed to do after it says “application accepted”? Or do we just wait for them to update? Mine’s been sitting on application accepted since the day I submitted
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K